• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies about the towels. Guess I will plan on bringing room towels or some beach towels along. I remember the towels specifically being out there one year (Xmas 2010), because I thought it was unusual. We were at the quiet pool near Bldg 25. The following year we didn't stay at POR, but visited some friends there and they were using the pool near Bldg 36 and there were no pool towels. It must just have been a fluke the time we were there. It was kind of nice though...

37 more days! Can't wait!

Online check is done!! We received 32 inches of snow over the weekend, and its snowing again today 2 - 4 inches. I so cannot wait to be in shorts and flip flops.

I'm so glad you had such a great stay!! I was wondering if you had issues with bathroom noise in your room. It looks (based on the maps on portorleans.org) like your room had two river view rooms backing up to it facing perpendicularly (which means the sink/bathroom area would've been up against the wall where your headboards were.) I know we've had issues with bathroom noise (thin walls/LOUD toilet flushing) at Pop, so I wanted to check :thumbsup2

Also, you mentioned it being a hike to the food court. We weren't thinking it looked that bad on the map. How long of a walk would you say it is? Thanks, and glad you're feeling better :goodvibes

I think distance is an individual thing. We stayed in Oak manor in room 9080 and the walk just right (maybe 5 minutes) for us, and the PP's room is closer. What is considered a long walk for some is not for others. It's very subjective.

In fact, in the early morning I would walk to the 2nd bridge and go to the main building via Old Man Island. Really enjoyed the walk! :thumbsup2

andrewilley said:
You're welcome, glad I could help.

I said the kids would like AB didn't I? Are they fighting over the murphy bed? Building 16 is a nice location too, close to the quiet pool yet not too far from main building and bus stop (walk round the back way to the South bus stop, through the parking lot, it's really close).

If no one else wants the glow sticks, my DD would love them, and we check in on Saturday 16th so you could leave them at reception for us if that's OK? One of the spare lanyards might be handy too, if they are not all taken - I'm sure there will be lots of interested folks though, so see who PMs you.

Andre

Oh yes lots of arguing about the beds!! DS11 is really tall though so we convinced him that a queen bed all to himself would be more comfortable and DS2 would probably roll off in the middle of the night so that left the other 2 who were VERY happy to sleep on the "alligator beds".

They are all STILL bugging me today about the royal rooms!!! (In a whiney voice) "moommmm, why didn't we stay in these rooms before - they are so much better." Sheesh.

Did the surrey bikes this morning - so nice but hard work when the kids don't pedal LOL

DD did the hair wrap thingy.

Will do the boat to DTD later and see if we can fit in the campfire & movie tonight.

Thank you to those that answered my request for room request suggestions! I'll do that when the time comes nearer... However, trip in on April 10th so i could technically check-in now!!! Not too sure what the advantage is though. I'll have to research it!

Andre, will you be ready because I see us doing this soon.

I'm guessing we'll hit the 250 page mark by Wednesday or Thursday evening, but could be sooner if there's a sudden burst of chatter! I think it'll happen before I get to Florida anyway.

Andre

Sherrkel said:
Hello - I haven't mentioned to my SIL that they do hair wraps - my niece loves having her hair done. Did you have to make a reservation??

Our niece was able to just walk up. I don't remember even being able to make a reservation.

However, trip in on April 10th so i could technically check-in now!!! Not too sure what the advantage is though. I'll have to research it!

No real reason why not as far as I can see, it just gets a lot of questions and stuff out of the way before you arrive, and lets them know what sort of time you are expecting to arrive.

Hello - I haven't mentioned to my SIL that they do hair wraps - my niece loves having her hair done. Did you have to make a reservation??

Hair wrapping/braiding is normally a walk-up thing, located on the marina just outside Boatwright's Dining Hall.

Andre

Sorry if I should know this...but could someone post the site for online check In? We are staying at POR- arriving o Friday, Jan 22nd. Thanks!

Sorry if I should know this...but could someone post the site for online check In? We are staying at POR- arriving o Friday, Jan 22nd. Thanks!

Go into the Disney website; log in, and go to my vacation or my reservations.

An icon will pop up that will tell you that you can do online check-in.

Hello everyone, first time POR here, and have some quick questions. My fiance and I are celebrating our engagement for a few days, and we are real pumped to go to POR!! If someone would be so kind to help, it'd be greatly appreciated!!

1. We reserved a king bed room. Any specific requests I should ask for (building location, etc)

2. We booked through Orbitz and I can't seem to find a way to check-in online. If I call POR, will they be able to assist?

3. We plan on hitting up the Wishes fireworks the first night and then head to DTD. How late do the boats run from DTD back to POR??

4. Any special ideas that I can either request from the hotel or Disney in general to get something with the engaged aspect part of the trip? It'd be a nice little surprise for the future bride.

Thanks so much!!

Would anybody be kind enough to help with this?

250 is close, hope you can do the new thread before you go Andre. That way you won't have to worry about it while your enjoying your vacation.

We hopefully can make our reservations for May 26-Jun 1 the first part of March, have to wait for DH to be able to make his vacation schedule at the end of Feb. Keeping fingers crossed that after we make reservations we won't have to cancel (had to last year due to DS medical issues). Planning on staying at POR (with or without sale prices), we went last when it was Dixie Landings (1995). Stayed at OKW in 2007, but want to go back to POR.

Love all the information that Venomhatch and Andre have provided. It definately makes me want to stay at POR again.:thumbsup2

250 is close, hope you can do the new thread before you go Andre. That way you won't have to worry about it while your enjoying your vacation.

We hopefully can make our reservations for May 26-Jun 1 the first part of March, have to wait for DH to be able to make his vacation schedule at the end of Feb. Keeping fingers crossed that after we make reservations we won't have to cancel (had to last year due to DS medical issues). Planning on staying at POR (with or without sale prices), we went last when it was Dixie Landings (1995). Stayed at OKW in 2007, but want to go back to POR.

Love all the information that Venomhatch and Andre have provided. It definately makes me want to stay at POR again.:thumbsup2

Most likely we will be have something up when he leaves. That way we don't have to worry about anything while he is on his trip.

Most likely we will be have something up when he leaves. That way we don't have to worry about anything while he is on his trip.

That's good to hear, would rather have Andre enjoying his vacation then having to worry about the dis boards. He deserves a break now and then.

Again thank you both for what you do on these boards. It is very appreciated.:flower3:

That's good to hear, would rather have Andre enjoying his vacation then having to worry about the dis boards. He deserves a break now and then.

Again thank you both for what you do on these boards. It is very appreciated.:flower3:

We try... we try. But thank you and all the other loyal readers as well as the new ones without you all we would not have such a nice thread!

We just returned from a wonderful stay at POR, February 1st-8th. Here's my take on the things I see commonly talked about here.

1) Room Request - I requested mansion, top floor, away from quiet pool on my original reservation. I then faxed a request about a week prior to our arrival after doing online check in. I did not receive a response to my fax and chose not to follow up since those requests were not going to make or break our trip. All requests were granted. Yay!

2) Check-in process - we arrived around 5 pm. There were CMs waiting for people to get into the online check in line so we were all checked in and ready to go in about 5 minutes.

3) Delivery to room - I had ordered a case of water from Costco a week before arrival. It was there waiting for us when we checked in. Bell Services would have delivered it to us, but since we weren't going to be in the room to receive it, we chose to lug it to the room ourselves.

4) Food at food court - we had a couple of breakfasts and a few dinners here. The breakfasts were typical Disney food court breakfasts. Dinner was good, especially the make your own salad and pasta people rave about. The pasta was a large amount so DH, DD (8 years old) and I split it and got a small side salad and an order of bread sticks to go with. We were all plenty full!

5) Housekeeping - our room was clean, but not overly so. By that I mean that the sinks, toilet, and floors were clean but the beadboard in the bathroom could have used a scrubbing since it had lots of splatters and dust/gunk in the seams and along the base board. I also noticed some used tissue and an old playing card between the headboard and the wall when I was checking for bed bugs. Now, there's no telling what you'll find if you look between the headboard and the wall in my own home, so it didn't bother me enough to call about it, lol!

Our housekeeper kept forgetting to restock our coffee, but a quick call to them had it delivered within 15 minutes. The coffee is not good and we are not coffee snobs. It was made slightly more tolerable if we used bottled water instead of tap water, but our Folgers at home was still vastly superior.

6) In-room storage - there was plenty of room for our stuff and luggage. We had two full-sized suitcases, one large duffel, two standard carryons and three back packs. All fit quite nicely in the area behind the door with room to spare. It did not feel crowded at all.

7) Slippery spot on bathroom floor - the "marble" threshold between the bathroom and carpeted area was very slippery. All three of us slipped on it at various points but, luckily, none of us actually hit the ground. It would be easy to bash your head on the vanity, so this made me nervous.

8) Pools - we used the main pool twice. It gets busy and there are only a few chairs in the sun, which were highly sought after this time of year. The quiet pool had many more sunny chairs and we actually preferred this since there was more room to move around and actually swim or play in the pool.

9) Busses - we had good bus service from the East Depot. We stood once on the way to a park in the a.m. and also in the evenings when we left a park at close, which I expected. The longest wait was 20 minutes for a bus to DHS one morning, but the rest of the waits were 10 minutes or less, even at park close. The lines in the POR coral at the park would be long, but one bus after the other would pull up so it went very quickly. We sometimes would stop at POFQ, but mostly not. We would often get off the bus at the South depot to refill our mugs and enjoy the walk back to our room.

Overall, we really enjoyed the stay. The resort really is very picturesque and all the CMs were very nice. We will definitely stay here again if we are lucky enough to be able to make it happen!

We just returned from a wonderful stay at POR, February 1st-8th. Here's my take on the things I see commonly talked about here.

1) Room Request - I requested mansion, top floor, away from quiet pool on my original reservation. I then faxed a request about a week prior to our arrival after doing online check in. I did not receive a response to my fax and chose not to follow up since those requests were not going to make or break our trip. All requests were granted. Yay!

2) Check-in process - we arrived around 5 pm. There were CMs waiting for people to get into the online check in line so we were all checked in and ready to go in about 5 minutes.

3) Delivery to room - I had ordered a case of water from Costco a week before arrival. It was there waiting for us when we checked in. Bell Services would have delivered it to us, but since we weren't going to be in the room to receive it, we chose to lug it to the room ourselves.

4) Food at food court - we had a couple of breakfasts and a few dinners here. The breakfasts were typical Disney food court breakfasts. Dinner was good, especially the make your own salad and pasta people rave about. The pasta was a large amount so DH, DD (8 years old) and I split it and got a small side salad and an order of bread sticks to go with. We were all plenty full!

5) Housekeeping - our room was clean, but not overly so. By that I mean that the sinks, toilet, and floors were clean but the beadboard in the bathroom could have used a scrubbing since it had lots of splatters and dust/gunk in the seams and along the base board. I also noticed some used tissue and an old playing card between the headboard and the wall when I was checking for bed bugs. Now, there's no telling what you'll find if you look between the headboard and the wall in my own home, so it didn't bother me enough to call about it, lol!

Our housekeeper kept forgetting to restock our coffee, but a quick call to them had it delivered within 15 minutes. The coffee is not good and we are not coffee snobs. It was made slightly more tolerable if we used bottled water instead of tap water, but our Folgers at home was still vastly superior.

6) In-room storage - there was plenty of room for our stuff and luggage. We had two full-sized suitcases, one large duffel, two standard carryons and three back packs. All fit quite nicely in the area behind the door with room to spare. It did not feel crowded at all.

7) Slippery spot on bathroom floor - the "marble" threshold between the bathroom and carpeted area was very slippery. All three of us slipped on it at various points but, luckily, none of us actually hit the ground. It would be easy to bash your head on the vanity, so this made me nervous.

8) Pools - we used the main pool twice. It gets busy and there are only a few chairs in the sun, which were highly sought after this time of year. The quiet pool had many more sunny chairs and we actually preferred this since there was more room to move around and actually swim or play in the pool.

9) Busses - we had good bus service from the East Depot. We stood once on the way to a park in the a.m. and also in the evenings when we left a park at close, which I expected. The longest wait was 20 minutes for a bus to DHS one morning, but the rest of the waits were 10 minutes or less, even at park close. The lines in the POR coral at the park would be long, but one bus after the other would pull up so it went very quickly. We sometimes would stop at POFQ, but mostly not. We would often get off the bus at the South depot to refill our mugs and enjoy the walk back to our room.

Overall, we really enjoyed the stay. The resort really is very picturesque and all the CMs were very nice. We will definitely stay here again if we are lucky enough to be able to make it happen!

Yay so happy for you MoneyPenny, by the way I am a huge 007 fan. Nice name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter