Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
firstwdw said:
you would be guaranteed for the most part if you booked preferred since all the preferred buildings are in the bayou. We are also 2 adults and 1 child but we wanted the bayou rooms so that's what we did. Plus it means you will be close to the main building, main pool and main bus stop.

Preferred view was completely booked for our dates with the spring discount. We tried! :(

Disneylvr said:
What are our chances of getting a bayou room for a family of 2 adults and 1 child? We have a garden view room booked with a request for alligator bayou, which we have done a few times before and have never received. We are fine with the mansions but new scenery would be great. We do realize the bayou rooms tend to be reserved for larger families but still hoping....

We are 2 adults and 2 kids hoping for AB also, because our kids hate sharing a bed and the Murphy bed would make life much easier!! We couldn't book preferred either, we are booked with a garden view and our TA requested a room With Murphy bed. If we leave that our only request, or request a certain AB building, what's our chances?

I too just got a PIN and hope to book for end of September in a Garden View :-)

We Nebulize my son daily. This includes sterilizing a device that holds his medication. In order to sterilize the device, we need a microwave. Is there any way to ask the resort staff for a micro in our room? I know they have a micro to use at the Dining Hall, but was hoping for a better option or any other suggestions???

Thanks for a great site!! I enjoy reading it often! This is why I am booking POR!!!

What are our chances of getting a bayou room for a family of 2 adults and 1 child? We do realize the bayou rooms tend to be reserved for larger families but still hoping....

We are 2 adults and 2 kids hoping for AB also, because our kids hate sharing a bed and the Murphy bed would make life much easier!!

There are 1,024 Alligator Bayou rooms, but only 512 regular mansion building rooms (as 512 rooms were re-allocated as Royal buildings) so the random chance is now about 2:1 in your favour (or maybe slightly less, due to the four Preferred Location buildings). Families of 5 are placed in AB automatically first, but there's usually still plenty of space left for others - especially if you request AB in advance and/or send a fax.

We Nebulize my son daily. This includes sterilizing a device that holds his medication. In order to sterilize the device, we need a microwave. Is there any way to ask the resort staff for a micro in our room? I know they have a micro to use at the Dining Hall, but was hoping for a better option or any other suggestions???

Yes, I believe they may have a few which can be assigned to guest rooms. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Special Assistance line (1-407-939-7807) to get this noted as a medical requirement in advance.

Andre

I think the campfire might be fun for the kids and a nice way to relax in the evening. I see it starts at 5:30, but how long does it last?

On a related, but off-topic note, Andre, I've been trying to figure out this whole thread how you are connected to POR. I know you do portorleans.org, but I also see that you're in Birmingham, UK. Are you a super fan or is there some other connection? It seems like a long commute to be a CM. :lmao:

The campfire is usually open for a couple of hours at least, but I don't know exactly when they close it down at night.

As for why someone in Birmingham UK is running a Port Orleans tribute website.... I've sometimes wonderded that myself!! :) But no, I don't work for WDW, and basically at heart I'm just a fan of the place who has been visiting the parks since 1989. As the internet developed out of the usenet newsgroups and modem-based bulletin boards, I found myself answering the same sort of questions time and time again in the online forums :idea: so I thought I'd set up an online FAQ list, and upload some photos there, so I would be able to just point people to this new website to save a lot of time......

... well that worked out well then didn't it? :rolleyes1 :lmao::rotfl2:

Anyway, hope everyone is healthy again in time for your trip!

Andre

There are 1,024 Alligator Bayou rooms, but only 512 regular mansion building rooms (as 512 rooms were re-allocated as Royal buildings) so the random chance is now about 2:1 in your favour (or maybe slightly less, due to the four Preferred Location buildings). Families of 5 are placed in AB automatically first, but there's usually still plenty of space left for others - especially if you request AB in advance and/or send a fax.

Yes, I believe they may have a few which can be assigned to guest rooms. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Special Assistance line (1-407-939-7807) to get this noted as a medical requirement in advance.

Andre

Andre- Thank you not only for the quick response but the detailed info too! I was worried we would have to do a suite (kitchenette) which is not where I want to book and of course at a higher rate!

Thanks again!!

So we are 48 days out from our trip. I saw you can do online check in. Is this something I should do. Should I wait until it gets closer?

So we are 48 days out from our trip. I saw you can do online check in. Is this something I should do. Should I wait until it gets closer?

Lots of posts on the DIS of people having issues being able to do online check-in. I would wait until they get all the kinks worked out with the new website.

Ok, I must've missed something in my short hiatus from the DIS? Someone mentioned earlier about making dining reservations already for July, but I thought it was 90 days out. Now someone is mentioning online check in 48 days out, but I thought it was 10? Did things change?

Ok, I must've missed something in my short hiatus from the DIS? Someone mentioned earlier about making dining reservations already for July, but I thought it was 90 days out. Now someone is mentioning online check in 48 days out, but I thought it was 10? Did things change?

Everyone can make dining reservations 180 days out. If you are staying on site, you can make dining reservations starting at 180 days out for up to 10 days of your stay.

Once they officially roll out FP+, you will be able to do online check-in 60 days out.

As for why someone in Birmingham UK is running a Port Orleans tribute website.... I've sometimes wonderded that myself!! :) But no, I don't work for WDW, and basically at heart I'm just a fan of the place who has been visiting the parks since 1989. As the internet developed out of the usenet newsgroups and modem-based bulletin boards, I found myself answering the same sort of questions time and time again in the online forums :idea: so I thought I'd set up an online FAQ list, and upload some photos there, so I would be able to just point people to this new website to save a lot of time......

Andre

Andre, I never cease to be amazed with your patience!

Wow, really who told you that about the dining? As already stated its 180 but that is from the first day arriving, at that point you can do ressies for the whole visit there.

I would not do the online check in now that I am seeing guests having issues with the web site.

Andre

Isn't that how it always works out. LOL. Well, I for one am glad you run the Port Orleans site - it was really helpful when I was deciding if I wanted to stay at POFQ or not.

I find it very interesting that the second and third floor numbers are just a continuation of the first floor numbers - but I guess that is because the room number indicates the building, and not the floor.

We are going to POR for Spring Break. We booked a preferred room. We got a discount and my travel agent got us the discount in the garden view section. I really want to be close to the food court. My travel agent said that because we are a family five, the garden view rooms that accommodate a family of five are all close to the food court. Is that true. I would like the savings the discount offers but I'm afraid that she is wrong and we will be far from the food court. Are all of the garden view rooms with the extra bed close to the food court?

We are going to POR for Spring Break. We booked a preferred room. We got a discount and my travel agent got us the discount in the garden view section. I really want to be close to the food court. My travel agent said that because we are a family five, the garden view rooms that accommodate a family of five are all close to the food court. Is that true. I would like the savings the discount offers but I'm afraid that she is wrong and we will be far from the food court. Are all of the garden view rooms with the extra bed close to the food court?

Preferred rooms are the closest to the food court. That's why ther are preferred. You're all set.:thumbsup2

Preferred rooms are the closest to the food court. That's why ther are preferred. You're all set.:thumbsup2

To get the discount, we had to get garden view instead of the preferred room. My TA said that the garden view rooms with the Murphy bed are all located near the food court.

To get the discount, we had to get garden view instead of the preferred room. My TA said that the garden view rooms with the Murphy bed are all located near the food court.

All of the non preferred AB area rooms have the murphy bed!

Oh, sorry. When I read your original post, I thought you had booked preferred.

Here's the description of the Garden View Rooms from Andre's site.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php

Garden View: These rooms offer pleasant views of the gardens, courtyards (including water features and fountains), landscaping or bayou — but NOT of the parking lots. Garden View rooms can be located in any of the buildings EXCEPT for Preferred Locations. $10 per night surcharge.

So it looks like your room could be anywhere in the AB section. So it's possible you could be far from the food court. I would have your TA add a request to your reservation of "close to food court". Then follow up with a fax stating the same 5-6 days prior to your arrival.

Oh, sorry. When I read your original post, I thought you had booked preferred.

Here's the description of the Garden View Rooms from Andre's site.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php

Garden View: These rooms offer pleasant views of the gardens, courtyards (including water features and fountains), landscaping or bayou — but NOT of the parking lots. Garden View rooms can be located in any of the buildings EXCEPT for Preferred Locations. $10 per night surcharge.

So it looks like your room could be anywhere in the AB section. So it's possible you could be far from the food court. I would have your TA add a request to your reservation of "close to food court". Then follow up with a fax stating the same 5-6 days prior to your arrival.

I believe murphy beds are in all AB buildings, but even if they aren't in the preferred buildings there are a few close non preferred AB buildings with Garden Views, like 16 and 17!!! Those are less than a minute from the food court!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter