Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

The work will be on the check-in lobby only, and will be from 15 May until around mid-July. Nothing to be at all worried about (even if you are there during that time) as checkin processes will be moved over to the old Bonfamille's Cafe area on the other side of the main atrium.

Andre

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. NHKristy76

NHKristy76 Senior Mousketeer

What's missing here, I think, is what is reasonable to expect from Disney and what you can (and should) do to ensure you are comfortable.

If you need absolute quiet to rest you should be doing something (other than complaining) to make sure your needs are met. White noise machine? Ear plugs? Noise canceling headphones? Vacation at an adults only beach resort where it's just the noise of waves?

4. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

You must have missed the post, but if you have a true medical need of a certain type of room or room location, Disney will grant you that. However you need to go through the Special Services division. Disney doesn't think it is too much to ask of them that they accommodate people with a medical need of a certain room type, so no need to be offended on their behalf.

5. snykymom

snykymom Still tagless after all these years

True, Special Services does what it can. But there is no way in a hotel, particularly in a resort in which one can expect many children, to guarantee a "quiet" room. Plumbing makes noise in many hotels. Air conditioners cycle on and off. Thunder happens. And Disney cannot control the people in the neighboring rooms, or the people running down the halls, or the kids crying. No hotel or resort can.

6. maxiesmom

If they so chose Disney can leave the rooms next door vacant. They can place a guest far and away from everyone else, during slower times of the year, if they choose. They can do many things that go a long way to lessening any noise, even if a room as quiet as the grave is not possible.

7. NewCrew42

NewCrew42 One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

I just completed on-line check-in. I requested to be "near transportation". Does that mean near the bus-stop? I hope so! :cool2:

8. mom2taylorandemily

mom2taylorandemily Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney..

It should.

9. kswm30b

kswm30b DIS Veteran

I know, but we've always gotten a standard room & most of the time been upgraded at checkin without asking (pofq is so small, I don't really care where our room is or what the view is.) just wondering if anyone had any luck with it?

10. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

I was under the impression that this was for folks who are physically disabled. Dh is invisibly disabled. However, if there is a next trip (doubtful at this point, he is not holding up well this trip), I will keep this in mind.

11. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

Thanks for being understanding, minnie mum. :goodvibes

12. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

Moving on to something less controversial --

We had a note in our room last night that the laundry facilities have been renovated. The only way you will be able to pay is credit cards and debit cards. Money (cash or change) will not work. Your KTTW card will not work.

ETA the word"less" to the first line.

13. NC Disney Fan

NC Disney Fan Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Thanks for the response. Maybe it will be finished by Sept. I love that you are the PO expert. I have a new question as this is our first foray into the moderates and PO. I read in this thread somewhere that all the corner rooms were king size beds. Do you know this to be true? I normally request a top floor corner room (as we stay 9 nights and like it to be quiet, which this affords us) but we need the two beds for our family of 4). Does FQ have 2 queens in at least some of it's corner rooms and do you know where I could get a schematic of the room configurations for each room so I can figure out where I might want to request? Thanks.

14. siskaren

siskaren DIS Veteran

You can find maps showing where all the various types of rooms are at http://portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php. And actually, it looks like all king rooms are corner rooms, rather than all corners are kings.

15. NC Disney Fan

NC Disney Fan Live long Disney Lover and visitor

You rule! I followed your link and got that information. You are right, the kings do all seem to be in corners but at least all corners are not kings! Now the task will be to cut out the buildings, make a mock up so my directionally challenged mind can figure out what I am looking at (on paper, I just can't figure it out :confused3! Thank you so much for your help. I love this board. BTW, have you stayed at POFQ and do you prefer it to RS? I lament over our choice but as it was free dining and seems a bit more quiet, I thought this is the one for us.

16. andrewilley

I think they will try to help with any kind of Special Needs requests, not just the more obvious things like wheelchair accessible rooms, visual alarm strobes for the hearing impaired, etc.

But even so, I would still have hoped the front desk would be more empathetic in trying to find you a more suitable room.

Andre

17. andrewilley

I've just checked my calendar and discovered that September is some time after mid-July, so I'd say your chances are pretty good... ;) :)

I see your question about corener rooms has already been answered. At POFQ, all of the King Bed rooms are located on corners - but there are also plenty more corner rooms which have the standard 2 x queen bed layouts.

Andre

18. Hootch

Hootch DIS Veteran

stay at POFQ was in Bldg 4 with a room facing the parking lot. We hardly noticed it. There is quite a bit of space between the building and the lot. POFQ has great landscaping. There are mature trees between the building and lot making it a hard to see.

19. labfan

labfan Mouseketeer

This is not good news. Guess we won't be able to do any laundry if we happen to need to. I don't like bringing credit cards with me.
    It makes no sense to not be able to pay by cash.

20. bookgirl

bookgirl DIS Veteran

Actually I think the new RFID resorts have already been doing this and paying with thier KTTK cards/bands. I willing to bet you can use your KTTK card to pay and then pay cash when you pay for your room (if you have charging privliges). If not then you might check and see if you can pay using a gift card.

I usually use cash to pay for the washers as well but if not then I'll make do.

21. maxiesmom

It makes sense. Disney now doesn't have to have someone fill the machines with change or empty them out. They don't have to deal with broken money acceptors or with people wanting change for their 100 so they can do laundry. Less labor for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.