Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DizNee Luver

DizNee Luver Luver of all things Disney!

I know our TA already requested a ground level room for us and since we have 7 in our family, we will have 2 rooms.....so maybe if we could get the corner room & the one next to it.....we'd be good!! I'll see what I can do about requesting it that way. Thanx!!

This is great news, thank you both!!

:goodvibes

Thank you, we're hoping the girls drop at night (and stay asleep) too. We just want everyone (including ourselves) to have a great time!!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Bizneo

Bizneo Earning My Ears

Getting very close! Can't wait. 10 days at our favorite resort.

4. steveo99

steveo99 Earning My Ears

We are traveling with our 7 yr old in November and also with his cousins who are around the same age. With POFQ only having one pool, does it ever get too crowded to enjoy it with kids? We obviously aren't concerned about the noise of young kids in the pool, but more about the volume of people in there. Does it ever get too crowded to enjoy this time of year?

5. bookgirl

bookgirl DIS Veteran

Okay I've been in New Orleans 3 nights now and while the beniegts were about a hundred times better at the Cafe Du Monde, as was the coffee, I'd still rather be at WDW.:rotfl:

I'm at just over 5 months and while this has been a nice trip (my nephews are here competing), it has really made me wish my trip to POFQ was closer.

6. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I love the Cafe du Monde. I'm quite fond of NOLA in general actually. :)

All of the talk about noise is interesting. I plan to request a top floor room but if I don't get it how much does walking around in the room above carry through the ceiling? I've been in some places where it's light or nonexistent and some where it sounds like a herd of elephants is galloping around.

7. Punchy

Punchy Mouseketeer

Planogirl, I haven't noticed much sound through the floors however rolling suitcases and mousekeeping carts are quite loud on the balconies. It freaked me out a couple of times until I got used to the sound!

8. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

In November? Very unlikely, except maybe at Thanksgiving when it might get a bit busy. Don't forget you can use the six Riverside pools too.

Andre

9. RHMH

RHMH FTW Texas

Happy Memorial Weekend to All

10. momto28weeker+1

momto28weeker+1 Mouseketeer

You too! I enjoyed your video:) I noticed you went in July last year. It didn't look that crowded or too hot, or am I being really optimistic?

11. RHMH

RHMH FTW Texas

Thanks for taking a look at our Video. We have been going in July for the past 8 years. It's not to hot and the crowds are not to bad. Maybe it's because we are used to the weather in Texas and we may be used to the crowds in July.

We are not shoppers any longer - just eat and ride rides. We dont even watch the Parades, Stage shows and the Fireworks shows. My DD and I have had a system for the past 8 years how to make the most of our time to just ride rides.

12. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

Thanks.. Same to you and your family! Thanks for sharing your video! Nicely done! and I also liked the song that was put on. :)

We also skip the parade and the fireworks. We have seen it enough.. We rather go in shorter lines and do rides. So while everyone is trying to get a good spot to watch the fireworks and the parade, we would be enjoying the rides. It works best for us. It was awesome when we stayed at the Poly where we can actually watch the fireworks from the beach. I wish I could stay there all the time.. we just stay wherever the budget takes us. :)

13. RHMH

RHMH FTW Texas

Thanks for your compliment. My DD and I have been visiting WDW now for 12 years now. Last year my DD rode Expedition Everest 14 times. We love the rides :drive:

14. spacemountainmom

spacemountainmom DIS Veteran

Honestly, it really should not be an issue. When we go with the whole family, my dad puts my sister and her family in the middle room of our three since my nieces don't do very well sleeping in strange places. The first time in particular, we were told the girls were up and crying pretty loudly a good part of the nights. We did not hear a thing. The only thing I ever hear is the toilets flushing and last trip we were on the top floor and didn't hear those as much.

I think Disney does a pretty good job of soundproofing their rooms. I've also been told that if you close the bathroom door at night, the toilet noise is much better too. A corner room would also probably be a good idea for you too and the bonus of an outside corner room is that you have two windows.

Hope your trip goes well!

15. DizNee Luver

Thank you for your input.....sounds like Disney did a great job at insulating the rooms! I think a corner room with our 2nd room being right next to it sounds ideal....hopefully we'll be able to do so. Also hoping for a ground level floor so the twins jumping and "tippy stomping" that Michayla does, doesn't disturb others.

Thank you for the bathroom door tip.....we'll definitely do that (and it will help keep the girls from going in & playing in there.) :rolleyes1

Thank you for the well wishes!! :wizard:

NEW QUESTION??? When we originally started planning our trip, we were going to stay at the POP.....lots of talk of window decorating there.....does this happen at the POFQ as well (and the other resorts) ????? :confused3

16. jeepwreck

jeepwreck DIS Veteran

ya I have never had an issue with noise from other rooms, we had a corner room on the 3rd floor so there was no one above us..

and decorations I think happen at any resort. myself I have decorated my windows the last time I was there in feb. and I did notice a few others too. They were mainly if people were celebrating special occasions since there was no holiday going on

17. DizNee Luver

Thank you for answering......since we're going in December, I thought it would be fun to do!!! :yay:

18. cigar95

cigar95 DIS weakest link

Wondering if some ambitious soul has done a room-by-room map of the various room categories?

I'm interested in seeing what WDW considers "Garden View" as compared with "Standard View". I know that in general "Garden View" means you won't be looking at a parking lot, but I would be interested in seeing just how they draw the line.

Andre, if no map, do you have numbers on how many of the various categories there are?

My first and only stay at Port Orleans was January 1992, when it was very new. (I remember taking a late night walk through Dixie Landings, which was all lit up even though it wasn't open yet. That was an odd experience.) If all goes well, we will be there again next January.

19. andrewilley

No room category maps, sorry. I'm not even sure if the resort have a physical room-by-room map like that as yet, although each room's category will be listed on the computer of course. I do have a list of the total number of each room type on my site though (note: subject to change once the refurbs are complete) at http://www.portorleans.org/riverside-info.php.

You don't happen to have any photos from that early visit stashed away anywhere do you?

Andre

20. cigar95

cigar95 DIS weakest link

Not quite sure what I have in terms of photos from '92, but I *do* have some old versions of the Sentinel and the Times that could add to your collection. Somewhere I have scans of them. I think my oldest are from '94 and '98.

21. andrewilley

I'm always on the lookout for older copies of the Times and/or Sentinel. If you don't mind parting with them, or alternatively could email scans, that would be very nice.

Andre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.