Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food court today updated their menu adding several new items for kids including Turkey sandwich, Tuna platter and spaghetti and meatball all for lunch. On the Adult menu in the Po' Boy section, they have also now added a Mahi sandwich. I'm sure there are some other changes, but that's what I noticed. CM checking us out apologized for the delay since she was still learning the new menu.

I don't know if it is still on the menu, but back in 2009 I had very yummy pot roast.

It was still there in October last year

Food court today updated their menu adding several new items for kids including Turkey sandwich, Tuna platter and spaghetti and meatball all for lunch. On the Adult menu in the Po' Boy section, they have also now added a Mahi sandwich. I'm sure there are some other changes, but that's what I noticed. CM checking us out apologized for the delay since she was still learning the new menu.

Ooh new stuff :cool1:

Honestly, we have no complaints about the food court. I guess it possibly depends what kind of food you like, but we were more than happy with the selections available. We eat a lot of meals out in the parks anyway so not sure if we may have become tired of the menu had we spend more time at the resort during the day, but Riverside is just a 10 minute walk to try something different

sarmat1 said:

We had the Mahi sandwich today and it was good.

Anyone been swimming with little ones recently? Was it easy to get a life vest? Can the kids go down the slide with one? I am getting conflicting info.

Anyone been swimming with little ones recently? Was it easy to get a life vest? Can the kids go down the slide with one? I am getting conflicting info.

Yes, Yes and Yes.

You go to the gift shop to get a vest. It's free, but you have to sign it out for your stay. You return it at the end. If you don't return it, they charge you around $45. The vests come in many sizes and several colors (I saw at least blue and yellow). So take your kids if they want to pick out which color.

As for the slide, no reason for conflicting info. While I'm not near a scanner to upload right now, I did take a picture of the slide rules today. The last rule actually encourages you to get a "complimentary life vest". So not only are vests allowed on the slide, it's even stated right in the rules on the sign. The thing you can't do on the slide is go down with your kids. It's strictly enforced for 1 person at a time. It feeds into around 3 to 3.5 feet of water. For non-swimming kids, you have 2 options. One is wait at the bottom for them. The other (and better one) is just put them in a vest (assuming they're at least comfortable enough in the water to handle that). My kids absolutely love the slide (DS4 is doing it with a vest). Today, the lifeguards increased the amount of water that they were pushing down which significantly increased the speed (and made it easier for adults to get down, not that I would necessarily know this last fact first hand :rolleyes1)

sarmat1 said:
Yes, Yes and Yes.

You go to the gift shop to get a vest. It's free, but you have to sign it out for your stay. You return it at the end. If you don't return it, they charge you around $45. The vests come in many sizes and several colors (I saw at least blue and yellow). So take your kids if they want to pick out which color.

As for the slide, no reason for conflicting info. While I'm not near a scanner to upload right now, I did take a picture of the slide rules today. The last rule actually encourages you to get a "complimentary life vest". So not only are vests allowed on the slide, it's even stated right in the rules on the sign. The thing you can't do on the slide is go down with your kids. It's strictly enforced for 1 person at a time. It feeds into around 3 to 3.5 feet of water. For non-swimming kids, you have 2 options. One is wait at the bottom for them. The other (and better one) is just put them in a vest (assuming they're at least comfortable enough in the water to handle that). My kids absolutely love the slide (DS4 is doing it with a vest). Today, the lifeguards increased the amount of water that they were pushing down which significantly increased the speed (and made it easier for adults to get down, not that I would necessarily know this last fact first hand :rolleyes1)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was reading on POR that some patents said their little ones couldn't go down in them. This made me feel so much better!!!!

Leaving in about two weeks and we are super excited! We have a garden view reserved. Typically I like building 4 but am also considering a request for building 5. In looking on portorleans.org it mentions that only the upper levels of building 5 facing the pool are considered "water view" Does that mean that the ground floor facing the pool would be garden view? Does anyone know?

Can anyone confirm how many electric power points are in the rooms at POFQ? I'm trying to remember from last year .....

I recall one just at the entrance to the vanity area, one over by the table and chairs and another near the bedstead (?) We seem to have so many more gadgets that need charging this year, now that DD has her own stash :rotfl2: and I'm trying to plan accordingly

I brought a powerstip last year, I don't want to plug my electronics in near the sink. It really came in handy

We recently stayed in a Comfort Inn and they had something I had not seen before and really like. In the base of each lamp, there were two or three receptacles. Dh was able to plug his cell phone charger into the lamp base instead of hunting all over the room for a reachable receptacle. More hotels needs these lamps.

Can anyone confirm how many electric power points are in the rooms at POFQ? I'm trying to remember from last year .....

I recall one just at the entrance to the vanity area, one over by the table and chairs and another near the bedstead (?) We seem to have so many more gadgets that need charging this year, now that DD has her own stash :rotfl2: and I'm trying to plan accordingly

If I remember correctly there is one over beside the bed nearest the bathroom as well. I think I remember plugging my phone in there and having it in the bed with me. Oh and there is the one by the nightstand and one behind the TV but they are hard to reach.

I'm going to bring a powerstrip as well, makes it a lot easier as we'll only need one adapter :)

Are you just going to bring a power strip from the UK and plug it into a single adapter? Not a bad idea :thumbsup2

Some of our things like my phone charger, hair straighteners (DD!!!) and some styling tongs definitley have a US plug so they won't need an adapter which is great.

Thanks all :thumbsup2

10 days and counting :cool1:

Exactly 4 weeks from today I will be checking into POFQ!!! Love love love this resort and I will be in a river view room!

9 more days til we are checking into the World! :cool1:
We aren't doing online check-in...
Anyone else going to be there at the same time? Sept 4-17...woohoo

Are you just going to bring a power strip from the UK and plug it into a single adapter? Not a bad idea :thumbsup2

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do ;) Got the idea about the powerstrip from these forums, and figured it would be so much easier if I just use that with my adapter :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!