POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to you all for clearing everything up for me! :) I'm still conflicted on IoA, but I guess I have some time to think about it. ;)

Thanks to you all for clearing everything up for me! :) I'm still conflicted on IoA, but I guess I have some time to think about it. ;)

If you do decide to visit IoA, I'd plan to spend the extra money on those front-of-line passes they have. Last July my family was there and some of us stayed at Disney while others went to Universal, they opted not to get the passes and hated it. My family is really good at getting places early, knowing how to schedule the rides for the lowest wait times etc, and they still said that they couldn't get on anything. They don't have a fastpass system so without the front-of-line passes, you're stuck in extremely long lines due to all the people that DO buy them.

So, this is my husband's and I's first trip to WDW, and we're staying at PoP! :ccat: Very excited!

* Out trip is 7 nights/8 days. We're contemplating sacrificing one of days to hit up IoA for Harry Potter. My fear is that after paying lotso money for transportation to get there, and get tickets, and food for the day-- we might get through IoA very quickly, and be bored by mid afternoon. What's others experiences? Is it worth giving up a day at Disney? Worth the hassel of setting up transportation to get across town? Worth the oop expenses for a day of food and another park? We're both "moderate" HP fans, but by no means fanatics. I was planning on rereading the books before our trip in Sept. incase we do go, though.....

I think these are all my random questions for now! Thanks in advance!! princess:

Hi SnoopyGal7, figured I'd put my .2 cents in here too! :upsidedow Visited IOA/Studios 2 summers ago, with my DD and her BFF...will add that we are big HP fans!! That being said, think that anyone will appreciate the attention to detail in the WWoHP... Forbidden Journey (feature ride) is a-mazing! We went on many times (if only Disney had HP at HS!) Oh well! There is a kids coaster and the Dragon Challenge ... you have a replica of the Hogwarts express, plus the famous shops an eateries from the books. We all loved eating at the Three Broomsticks. BTW, we like the frozed butterbeer better. :)

If I calculated correctly you are going the second week of Sept, right? Suggest going over to Universal on a weekday for lower crowds...we went mid August and it was busy, however we still had a great time....kids are back in school... I think it is worth it... Spiderman is a terrific, along with old favorites and if you like coasters, they have 'em! water rides, and in the studios, shows, despicable me, the simpsons, ET, etc. After your day you can have dinner at CityWalk ..:goodvibes

As Sandi mentioned Mears Transporation offers an easy way over and back.. it's approx $19 pp RT.

Overall we love Disney, but we did enjoy our 2+ days at IOA/Universal...

Regarding Downtown Disney, the last bus pick up is at 11pm at the Market Place bus stop. It will still run from the West side until 2am (I believe!) But I would verify that...as I'm thinking it might be 1am...but I know for sure the Market Place stops picking up at 11pm promptly! :) ENJOY!!

Edited to add...
not to argue with Sandi's post but when I reread this I see she said that the buses run until 'after 2am' from the West Side. I would double and triple check that! I don't have personal experience with getting a bus that late from the West Side, but I have heard that the DTD buses do stop running promptly! I have even been told not to push the 2am time frame because if the last bus comes at 1:55, that's it for the night. I've heard you should try to be at the West Side stop by 1:45. Again, I am not speaking from first hand experience. But if they do run the West side stop like the Marketplace stop then, they are done at 2. Because Marketplace's last pick up is 11pm and I have seen buses come in at 10:57 or so and that's the last one for the night! Just saying... not trying to argue. The attendant then would tell 'late arrivers' their choice was to hike over to the West side or catch a cab. YUCK!

I should have been more clear on the DTD buses. There is a real distinction between Marketplace and the West Side, so I'm glad you pointed that out. That said, I have taken a 2:00 bus from the West Side back to Boardwalk (in that instance); it was a deadly long ride. It is always wise to verify times for buses -- especially at DTD. I appreciate your clarification stitchlovestink and the spirit in which you offered it!!!!

PhoenixStrength posted --

"* If we are on the DDP, and we go to a restaurant, and want an appetizer-- we have to pay OOP, correct? Can't switch out a dessert for an appetizer?

If you are on the Quick Service Dining Plan then you only get counter service meals, which don't offer appetizers. If you are on the regular or higher dining plan than you get an appetizer, entree and dessert with each meal at a sit down restaurant."

It was my understanding that the regular dining plan (with one CS, one TS, and one snack) did NOT include an appetizer. They made that change a few years ago. I thought you got an entree, dessert, and a drink.

Does someone know for sure?

Sandi said:
It was my understanding that the regular dining plan (with one CS, one TS, and one snack) did NOT include an appetizer. They made that change a few years ago. I thought you got an entree, dessert, and a drink.

This is my understanding as well...

Yes, you are correct.

PhoenixStrength posted --

"* If we are on the DDP, and we go to a restaurant, and want an appetizer-- we have to pay OOP, correct? Can't switch out a dessert for an appetizer?

If you are on the Quick Service Dining Plan then you only get counter service meals, which don't offer appetizers. If you are on the regular or higher dining plan than you get an appetizer, entree and dessert with each meal at a sit down restaurant."

This is my understanding as well...

Yes, you are correct.

me three...:goodvibes I assumed PhoenixStrength meant the DxDP for the appetizer ... and just inadvertantly mentioned the reg DP in the same sentenence...:) She's a veteran of the DIS...:goodvibes

Hi SnoopyGal7, figured I'd put my .2 cents in here too! :upsidedow Visited IOA/Studios 2 summers ago, with my DD and her BFF...will add that we are big HP fans!! That being said, think that anyone will appreciate the attention to detail in the WWoHP... Forbidden Journey (feature ride) is a-mazing! We went on many times (if only Disney had HP at HS!) Oh well! There is a kids coaster and the Dragon Challenge ... you have a replica of the Hogwarts express, plus the famous shops an eateries from the books. We all loved eating at the Three Broomsticks. BTW, we like the frozed butterbeer better. :)

If I calculated correctly you are going the second week of Sept, right? Suggest going over to Universal on a weekday for lower crowds...we went mid August and it was busy, however we still had a great time....kids are back in school... I think it is worth it... Spiderman is a terrific, along with old favorites and if you like coasters, they have 'em! water rides, and in the studios, shows, despicable me, the simpsons, ET, etc. After your day you can have dinner at CityWalk ..:goodvibes

As Sandi mentioned Mears Transporation offers an easy way over and back.. it's approx $19 pp RT.

Overall we love Disney, but we did enjoy our 2+ days at IOA/Universal...

Thanks for your input, Janet B! Just reading what your wrote makes me feel excited at the idea of going.:wizard: I think my fear is that I don't want to pay a pretty expensive fee (for us both) to get there, park tickets, food, etc., only to regret doing it and saying to ourselves, "Ugh, we could have had another day at Disney!". :headache:

Yup, we will be at Disney from 9/8 to 9/16. With ADR's scheduled, and EMH, and all, I've planned to fit in a day at Universal on Tuesday, 9/10. I figured that crowds should be low because, (a) it's September and (b) it's a weekday. Given that, if we do go, would you still recommend purchasing Universal's version of "fast pass"? Also, would you recommend their "park hopper", or could we spend the day at IoA and be satisfied?

Mears RT $38 for us both sounds nicely affordable! Better than I anticipated. Are they reliable? How early in advance should you schedule their transportation? Could we rent a car with the front desk at Disney, for cheaper than $38 for the day?

Sorry-- this is a rookie question....what is CityWalk? ;)

Janet B said:
me three...:goodvibes I assumed PhoenixStrength meant the DxDP for the appetizer ... and just inadvertantly mentioned the reg DP in the same sentenence...:) She's a veteran of the DIS...:goodvibes

Yes I did mean that, sorry for the confusion! I was typing on my phone and just got ahead of myself and skipped the sentence I was going to write in between about the reg DP. Thanks everyone for clarifying it so I didn't lead them down the wrong path.

SnoopyGal7 said:
Thanks for your input, Janet B! Just reading what your wrote makes me feel excited at the idea of going.:wizard: I think my fear is that I don't want to pay a pretty expensive fee (for us both) to get there, park tickets, food, etc., only to regret doing it and saying to ourselves, "Ugh, we could have had another day at Disney!". :headache:

Yup, we will be at Disney from 9/8 to 9/16. With ADR's scheduled, and EMH, and all, I've planned to fit in a day at Universal on Tuesday, 9/10. I figured that crowds should be low because, (a) it's September and (b) it's a weekday. Given that, if we do go, would you still recommend purchasing Universal's version of "fast pass"? Also, would you recommend their "park hopper", or could we spend the day at IoA and be satisfied?
Mears RT $38 for us both sounds nicely affordable! Better than I anticipated. Are they reliable? How early in advance should you schedule their transportation? Could we rent a car with the front desk at Disney, for cheaper than $38 for the day?

Citywalk is a bit like Universal's version of DTD, it's in the middle of both parks and has shops, bars and restaurants. I think it'd definitely be worth buying their fastpass option, even with the lower crowds. I remember us spending a whole day at IoA so unless you have specific rides you want to do at Universal, you could probably do without the hopper option and just stay at IoA.

I've started doing research about the studios ... reading a lot on the Universal threads. The Universal "experts" suggest not buying the Express Pass thingy until you are there and see rather or not you really need it. The pass is non-refundable and date specific. They also suggest to not buy it at the front gate since you can purchase it thru out the park. If you don't need it great you saved some money.

PhoenixStrength said:
They are long gone. Area was re-surfaced and everything.

My kids are probably too old for the pop jets anyway (youngest is 4), but I am curious to know if the Goofy statue is still there and if the area was resurfaced to be a play area or something of that nature?

I cannot remember which forum or thread had special offers. Like if free dining comes out for my dates, what thread should I subscribe to so I'm notified? Thanks!!

2Pirates2Princesses said:
My kids are probably too old for the pop jets anyway (youngest is 4), but I am curious to know if the Goofy statue is still there and if the area was resurfaced to be a play area or something of that nature?

Hi! Yes the area was resurfaced and beach theme is still present ... goofy, the surfboard and the car are still there .. the jets were covered with a slightly blue giving material and is essentially a play area for the kids.

AOA does have a splash area so you can check that out as an option :)

nahla1204 said:
I cannot remember which forum or thread had special offers. Like if free dining comes out for my dates, what thread should I subscribe to so I'm notified? Thanks!!

This thread can usually be found under the "Disney Discount Codes & Rates" section (which is included under "disney resorts" forum where the Pop FAQ thread is found ... Hope this is clear ... Posting from my phone otherwise I would find and post the link for you :)

AOA does have a splash area so you can check that out as an option

Now, now, Janet B, are you encouraging Pop guests to visit the gated AoA pool area? :) :goodvibes

...not that the AoA guests bother to close the gate behind them, as I observed in person during my "pop"-in visit to AoA on Feb 23...

jcarwash said:
Now, now, Janet B, are you encouraging Pop guests to visit the gated AoA pool area? :) :goodvibes

...not that the AoA guests bother to close the gate behind them, as I observed in person during my "pop"-in visit to AoA on Feb 23...

:laughing; well that didn't come off too great now did it? :) it was my understanding that the splash and play area is separate from the gated pool area .is this not true ... .am I losing it? :

Janet B said:
Hi! Yes the area was resurfaced and beach theme is still present ... goofy, the surfboard and the car are still there .. the jets were covered with a slightly blue giving material and is essentially a play area for the kids.

AOA does have a splash area so you can check that out as an option :)

Our original plan was to take an afternoon to walk over the bridge to check out AOA and look around, but I think we are just going to skip doing that. I am sure my kids will love Pop, but I know if my kids see the Nemo pool area and theming in the Cars area up close they may get disappointed that we aren't staying at AOA. We will be Pop first timers so I think the theming at Pop and the kiddie pool and other three pools there will more than suffice and I know longer feel the pull to go explore AOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter