POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
KELLY said:
Neither it was up today for me to book. But I guess if you didn't get a email it is a glitch. Way to go disney.:faint:

I haven't received one but we're not going until October, so maybe its not my time frame yet??

gfawcetti said:
When I logged into MDE, online not the app, I got a pop up box that asked me to customize our bands etc. so I did & then I got nervous because I didn't get an email... So I called WDW & the CM told me that if you we're able to customize your bands you had been selected for testing! I'm super excited to be honest since it sounds like we can use FP+ and the reg FP program.

I'll post the pics when they arrive... We are staying at Pop fom 8-25 to 9-1

G

I know they would never do this, BUT if they really want to get a TRUE REFLECTION of what the new system is going to be like....they wouldn't allow guests to use both because you won't be able to in the future when it actually goes 'Live'. So I am not sure why they are allowing people to use both at this point because it will give guests a false sense of what the new system will really be like. If you TRULY want to TEST it, you should have to abide by the new rules then you know will know what the new system will be like after using it and can be a fair judge. But when you mix in the old (not going to be available) elements, I don't think you can truly give an accurate opinion if you have used any of those old elements. JMHO. :)

I know they would never do this, BUT if they really want to get a TRUE REFLECTION of what the new system is going to be like....they wouldn't allow guests to use both because you won't be able to in the future when it actually goes 'Live'. So I am not sure why they are allowing people to use both at this point because it will give guests a false sense of what the new system will really be like. If you TRULY want to TEST it, you should have to abide by the new rules then you know will know what the new system will be like after using it and can be a fair judge. But when you mix in the old (not going to be available) elements, I don't think you can truly give an accurate opinion if you have used any of those old elements. JMHO. :)

You are definitely not alone in that opinion.:thumbsup2

I think I'm glad we hadn't planned on any meals in the food court.

Thanks for the info :goodvibes

I have to say that I will miss "Mom's Night Out" meals. They were great. I did find some really good fried chicken the last time I was there. Crossroads House of Blues has some really good fried chicken. It is so crispy and moist. I look forward to having that again in September.:cool1:

Ok. I went online and I was able to pick my bands also. I called to confirm all this, because I did not get an email. They told me I was selected, but the emails did not go out until 17 days before check in . He also told me we would not get a room card, just the bands. And we could therefore, not use the regular fast passes if we were going ahead with the bands. So, it's one or the other. Also it's only 3 fast passes a day with the bands, when they're up you don't get anymore. And it's only 1 park per day.

Someone just posted in the mug FAQ thread that all of POP's soda machines have been replaced with the new rapidfill machines. They are not activated yet, though, but I'm sure it will be online soon. Can't wait to see them in person in 94 more days! :rotfl:

My chef friend said they won't open the one kiosk at lunch unless the hotel is at a certain occupancy level because it doesn't warrant the cost of the food (what they have to throw away because it doesn't sell) and the extra employees to man it. I guess they looked at the sales receipts to see what was selling and that sold the least??

This is so strange for a Disney Property during summer vacation..especially a value resort.....Things are not going to get better if they keep changing things ...and taking away the stuff that people return for....So sad....I have to say,,,I could NOT stand another nite on those mattresses...even though Pop was my home away from home for 4 years.....Dixie Landings was the previous spot for 10 nites.....8 years...just got too expensive....

it was so easy to move resorts! we packed up our room and were moved over to pop from por in about 45 minutes...our luggage was delivered to bell services from por to pop and we just hopped on a bus. Not even an hour later we were entering AK it was quick and we were happy to be home at POP.

GOOFYsince71 said:
This is so strange for a Disney Property during summer vacation..especially a value resort.....Things are not going to get better if they keep changing things ...and taking away the stuff that people return for....So sad....I have to say,,,I could NOT stand another nite on those mattresses...even though Pop was my home away from home for 4 years.....Dixie Landings was the previous spot for 10 nites.....8 years...just got too expensive....

I really wish I could share what my chef friend has told me but it is not really positive stuff and I wouldn't want to get them in trouble. They (I am keeping it gender neutral for anonymity) are as frustrated as we guests are. They have also informed me they are not alone in their feelings of frustration and I believe this to be true because I am also acquantances with one of the other chefs and they also shared similar feelings when I posed certain questions to them. It is really quite sad. But honestly, the occupancy rate was WAY DOWN before the menu changeover! It has been low for months! And the menu didn't change until 5/1...so I'm not convinced that has anything at all to do with the low occupancy rate.
According to the higher end managers (two) that I spoke with and they said this was off the record and their opinion only... Disney values were starting to price themselves out of the market. People are going off property to hotels around DTD & getting nice hotel rooms that are cheaper & MUCH larger. So unless someone absolutely doesn't want to rent a car, people are going off property and getting more for their $$. Interesting that I heard this from two different mgrs during two different convos at two totally different times!!! They have said they were even told by the mgrs over at AoA that even some of the people touring AoA have said "oh we're not staying on WDW prop but were told we needed to come check this resort out!" INTERESTING!!!!

Well I booked my flights so now I just have to wait and hope there will be some sort of room discount AP or otherwise for Nov 11 to 15. The plan is to be staying at Pop as long as they have availability when the discounts come out. Fingers crossed! It will be our first Pop and first value stay.

Just did my online check in for Pop for September 15th (exactly 60 days out...last time I had to wait until 59 because it wouldn't work at 60). Everything went just as smooth as last time...no issues with making my two requests and setting up my room key for charging. Two more days and I can do online check in for the AoA part of my stay. So excited!

I called IT today and yes we will be getting magic bands. I selected my FP+ yesterday. I went to check today there were more options fantasmic etc and more rides. So if you did it yesterday you may want to revise.:)

I will get on the mb soap box now and back to pop stuff.

Just order my magic band and picked our colors. They are being mailed to us. Picked out our FP plus as well. Just thought anyone staying at pop next month would like to know. There is only 4 of us but I had to order 8 bands since we have a room only the night before. We have a rainbow of colors coming. LOL I got one green RO and pink for our package. I hope I dont' regret being a test person.

The next Guest test has started. Anyone staying at AKL contemp pop or yatch club from aug 2 - aug 25 is being invited to participate. During the change over until normal FP is gone everyone will still get a KTTW card that can access normal FP. Yes your MagicBand will be mailed to you.

So, does anyone know - we are staying at AKL for 2 nights - no parks, just pool time. Will I get a magic band for my key to my room? Then, we move to Pop for 8 nights. I have paper tix from UCT. Will I get a magic band at Pop for my room? Or does that only come into play if I have a pkg thru Disney?

TiA!

Well I booked my flights so now I just have to wait and hope there will be some sort of room discount AP or otherwise for Nov 11 to 15. The plan is to be staying at Pop as long as they have availability when the discounts come out. Fingers crossed! It will be our first Pop and first value stay.

:cool1: You'll love Pop!

I cannot stop looking at the POP videos on youtube. This place looks awesome. :cool1: We have reservations a the AOA for October; however, if fall free dining comes out, we will have to change our reservations to POP. I think that my four year old will love this place. :banana: Which building is recommended the most?

faithsmth said:
I cannot stop looking at the POP videos on youtube. This place looks awesome. :cool1: We have reservations a the AOA for October; however, if fall free dining comes out, we will have to change our reservations to POP. I think that my four year old will love this place. :banana: Which building is recommended the most?

You'll get a variety of opinions on here for a variety of reasons! :)

My personal favorite is the 50's section (bldgs 1 or 3). It is close to Classic Hall & the bus stops and is pretty quiet which is important to me. I also love the fact that it is fairly convenient to RAC & luggage assistance on checkout day!!! I have been a solo traveler (for all intents and purposes....when visiting DD she has to stick to her work schedule so I can't count on her to be there at check out time!) several times this year so it works exceptionally well for me!!! My second favorite section is the 60's! It's a close second to the 50's but I only like lakeview in the 60's...poolview is too noisy for me. But lakeview is quiet and just lovely!! Also close to Classic Hall & the bus stops!!
Hope you have a great trip and You will Love POP! Be sure to check out the shadow boxes in the lobby and watch the CMs (or join in if you so desire!) do the Hustle in the food court at 6pm! It's so much fun there!!

But honestly, the occupancy rate was WAY DOWN before the menu changeover! It has been low for months! And the menu didn't change until 5/1...so I'm not convinced that has anything at all to do with the low occupancy rate.
According to the higher end managers (two) that I spoke with and they said this was off the record and their opinion only... Disney values were starting to price themselves out of the market. People are going off property to hotels around DTD & getting nice hotel rooms that are cheaper & MUCH larger. So unless someone absolutely doesn't want to rent a car, people are going off property and getting more for their $$.

I chose Pop four times from 2008-2011. This year, I switched to All-Star Movies. Why? Because I don't see that I want to spend $10 extra a night for a standard room at Pop over a standard room at an All-Star. And I was all set to stay off-site until there was a summer room discount offered. At rack rates it was cheaper for me to stay off site and rent a car.

When I do look to stay on site, I don't plan to return to Pop if these tiered prices are in place.

We visited Pop Century in the spring of 2012 and we loved it!! The only drawback for us was that it only offered 2 doubles instead of 2 queens...

Yeah, all the values (including the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA) have double beds. As does Caribbean Beach still...

You'll get a variety of opinions on here for a variety of reasons! :)

My personal favorite is the 50's section (bldgs 1 or 3). It is close to Classic Hall & the bus stops and is pretty quiet which is important to me. I also love the fact that it is fairly convenient to RAC & luggage assistance on checkout day!!! I have been a solo traveler (for all intents and purposes....when visiting DD she has to stick to her work schedule so I can't count on her to be there at check out time!) several times this year so it works exceptionally well for me!!! My second favorite section is the 60's! It's a close second to the 50's but I only like lakeview in the 60's...poolview is too noisy for me. But lakeview is quiet and just lovely!! Also close to Classic Hall & the bus stops!!
Hope you have a great trip and You will Love POP! Be sure to check out the shadow boxes in the lobby and watch the CMs (or join in if you so desire!) do the Hustle in the food court at 6pm! It's so much fun there!!

Wow!! I will definitely keep that in mind when we request an area. Thanks.

We stay in building 9 on the 4th floor and request to be close to transportation. It is a very quick walk to the buses. Please, please, please take some time to explore the shadow boxes in the lobby. They are full of toys and items from the different decades. Our kids were very interested in seeing previous versions of their current toys and seeing what their mom and dad played with. It is so awesome to see all of the great stuff we had growing up. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter