POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
stitchlovestink said:
Yea, the menu change went in effect May 1. :)

I remember the conversations. They've been going on for a while. Just figured I'd post it. Some of the stuff looks and sounds good but other stuff doesn't.

smidgy said:
no mom's night out!!! no FRIED chicken! no turkey with stuffing and mashed potatos! no shrimp lo mein!

I am rollingn in my grave and no even dead yet!!!:sad2:

I would SO LOVE to post what my chef friend has said to me about the new menu but that would SO Get THEM in TROUBLE!!! ROFLOL!!!! I almost fell on the floor myself when they said some of this stuff to me. I thought they were joking but in all actuality they were serious! I still laugh when I think about it.

the link talks about a "creative" menu. what makes them think we all want "creative"? we can walk over to AOA for that.

Pop century's entire name is Pop Century: the CLASSIC years. now I now there will never be a "Legendary" years, but please, keep with the theme... like the "classic" food.

Hello!

I am looking into a 4 night stay this fall for just me and my 5 year old and as we need to keep the cost of this trip low we are looking to stay at Pop. One of my major concerns about going value in general is dining options for my 5 year old. We had a very difficult time on our recent trip with locating safe foods for him. His has multiple food allergies and they are not common allergens and we were upset to find a lot more foods than expected were problems down there.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about the fridge for starters. It looks small and no apparent freezer section, but my main concern is do they work well. Our fridge at POFQ seemed to alternate between freezing and being too warm. Not sure if it was just a fluke or not, but it looks like a similar fridge to what Pop has. I wont' have a car to replace lost foods this time so just checking.

Also, any idea if we had a doctors note if we could keep some safe foods in a freezer anywhere at the resort? I know they will do this at the parks.

And last question is regarding room requests. If we wanted a room reasonably close to transportation that was NOT near a pool and preferably we didn't have to pass a pool to get to and from what area/location would be best to request? I can't swim and have no plans on using the pool, but I'm afraid if we walk by it everyday DS is going to be upset we won't be swimming.

Thanks a bunch! I look forward to reading more of this thread and learning more about Pop. Our prior stays were at POFQ and BC. Pop seemed recommended for cost as well as good transportation.

Heather

Hello!

I am looking into a 4 night stay this fall for just me and my 5 year old and as we need to keep the cost of this trip low we are looking to stay at Pop. One of my major concerns about going value in general is dining options for my 5 year old. We had a very difficult time on our recent trip with locating safe foods for him. His has multiple food allergies and they are not common allergens and we were upset to find a lot more foods than expected were problems down there.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about the fridge for starters. It looks small and no apparent freezer section, but my main concern is do they work well. Our fridge at POFQ seemed to alternate between freezing and being too warm. Not sure if it was just a fluke or not, but it looks like a similar fridge to what Pop has. I wont' have a car to replace lost foods this time so just checking.

Also, any idea if we had a doctors note if we could keep some safe foods in a freezer anywhere at the resort? I know they will do this at the parks.

And last question is regarding room requests. If we wanted a room reasonably close to transportation that was NOT near a pool and preferably we didn't have to pass a pool to get to and from what area/location would be best to request? I can't swim and have no plans on using the pool, but I'm afraid if we walk by it everyday DS is going to be upset we won't be swimming.

Thanks a bunch! I look forward to reading more of this thread and learning more about Pop. Our prior stays were at POFQ and BC. Pop seemed recommended for cost as well as good transportation.

Heather

I can help with some of this, and hopefully others can pop in with the rest.

I have stayed at POP twice since the fridges went in, both times being last year, and have never had trouble with the fridges. You may have just had a bad unit at POFQ. I've kept food and drinks in mine with no issues.

Disney recommends emailing their Special Diets unit after you book your reservation and they can help you with any needs and questions you have regarding special diets. Their email address is SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com. You can also call them at (407)824-5967. If you make any dining reservations be sure to note when you book it and ask to talk to the chef when you arrive.

I can't say 100% if they would let you use the freezer at POP, but it wouldn't hurt to ask!

To avoid passing a pool but being close to transportation I would recommend requesting a room in the 70s. There is no pool at all by either building in the 70s section, and it is very close to the bus stops. There are both standard and preferred rooms in the 70s. You can view the map here: POP Map

I hope this helps some! :goodvibes

It certainly has not been the case for us. I have stayed in every section except for Lady/Building 1. We've been in some sections multiple times, probably Tramp the most. Only once in the Computer building. We have wanted to try out different sections, so we haven't cared about requests other than connecting rooms. Thankfully, we have always gotten those. We all make a guessing game as to which building we'll get on a new trip. Nobody can pick the same section, and we really like it when one of the little girls 'wins'! ;) Now that we're down to just Lady left, though, I might make that request in the near future.

Really cute & fun idea you do with your girls. Although I love the idea of it being a surprise at check in, I do dread getting located so far from the food court. Decisions, Decisions :goodvibes

59 Days out!

Did online check in and selected 70's & close to Transportation for the options. This will be my first time using online check in, hoping it works out!

I would SO LOVE to post what my chef friend has said to me about the new menu but that would SO Get THEM in TROUBLE!!! ROFLOL!!!! I almost fell on the floor myself when they said some of this stuff to me. I thought they were joking but in all actuality they were serious! I still laugh when I think about it.

Ok I know you can not get your friend in trouble. But, without mentioning his or her name. Is there anything you would advise us to stay away from? Is there anything being prepared improperly or is it very poor quality types of such & such? :crazy2:

Does any one know if they try & place you in the same sections from your past History stays? I'm asking because the few times I've stayed at Pop they have placed us in the same section. (70's Building) We really like that section. I'm not sure if I should just request the same section or be surprised when I get there?? I really don't want lake view cause quite honestly. We like being close enough to the pool & main lobby/food court areas.

You could always leave it up to chance and then when you check in if you don't like the location of your room you can ask what else is available. When we checked in a PoP in 2011, I didn't like our room location -- it was practically the same room we had the previous trip (Bldg. 2 in the 50's) and it felt so far away from the food court and bus stops. We were moved to a room in Bldg. 9 of the 80's that was super close to the bus stops (using the sidewalk along the parking lot) and not too far from the food court. It wasn't the perfect location, but it worked for us. During our trip 2 weeks ago, we checked in at AoA and I didn't really like the location of our room in the Cars section -- too far from the main building and bus stops (that I had requested we be near). I asked what else was available in *any* section that was close to food and bus stops and we were able to get a room in Bldg. 10 of the Lion King section that was closer to the main building and bus stops than most of the rooms in the Nemo section and *all* of the rooms in Cars.

I think if you're flexible about your room location you should just leave it up to chance knowing there's a good possibility that you'll be able to change it when you get there if you're not happy with it. Maybe you'll be surprised and get put in a new location that you like even better than the 70's. :)

Have a few questions please I have stayed at POP many times since it opened and will be going again next week for a few days :cool1: Over the years have always requested and got pixiedust: 50's bldg I put in that request again this time so here are my questions:

1- Is there a clear advantage to doing on-line checkin ? We're local so won't even be there until late that afternoon ( have to work around feeding animal schedules yes we'll be running back & forth from our min-vacation to home several times over the course of the days but NEED a break ;))

2- If I DO this on-line will it mess up the request I had put in originally?

Thanks so much for all help

Hi all.

My family has settled on POP as our resort choice for our upcoming trip. POP being new to me, I'm not sure what to request (if anything) for building/location. We are booking a nothing special room - not pool/water or prefered or anything like that. What do you recommend for a young family who doesn't know POP? Really the only thing that might be of special interest is easy access to bus stop.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all.

My family has settled on POP as our resort choice for our upcoming trip. POP being new to me, I'm not sure what to request (if anything) for building/location. We are booking a nothing special room - not pool/water or prefered or anything like that. What do you recommend for a young family who doesn't know POP? Really the only thing that might be of special interest is easy access to bus stop.

Thanks in advance!

I really enjoyed the 70's section, building 6. It was very quiet (no pool), faced the lake (but not all in this building do), and was close to the main building. If you're going to request anything other than the 70's, request that you are not facing a pool. When I went in 2010, we faced the computer pool and it was quite loud at night.

Hi all.

Thanks in advance!

Then I'd request close to dining/buses...and otherwise leave it to chance

How does the online check in work? What is it exactly?

They really should change the name to "Online Pre-registration" because that is all you are doing. You confirm your travel party, your contact information, address, etc and provide a Credit Card for charging back to your room. When you arrive at the resort, you will go into a separate line designated for Online Check In. You show your ID and they will hand you your packet as it will already be printed and ready for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter