Poll: Which room should I book???

Which type of stateroom should I book?

• Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom w/4' porthole

• Deluxe Inside Stateroom-save $1,000-$1,300

Results are only viewable after voting.

IMDORY

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming
This will be our first cruise ever...so I'm trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately, the only date we can go on a cruise is Christmas week 2009-so we're stuck with really high rates. I really wanted a verandah or a navigators verandah room-but they are just way too expensive for my budget.

Here's my choice:
book a deluxe outside stateroom with the nice 4 foot porthole or
book a deluxe inside stateroom to save about $1,300 - $1,000

What would you do?
Is a window worth $1,300 when we are already spending more total for this trip than our costliest WDW trip ever? I don't mind upgrading if I'll regret not having it later.

Any insight as to the differences in these two rooms other than one has a window and one doesn't? Will it be a smaller room? Do I lose the "trunk"?

It really all depends on how much you will be staying in the room. You can still have a great view on the upper decks without spending the money. If you think you won't be in the room much pass on the porthole and enjoy the money for spa time :cool1: We go for the verandah simply because we smoke.

We have cruised twice in a Cat 11 Inside - one 4-night and 1 7-night. We typically don't spend enough time in the room to make it really matter, but on our 7-night, we spent a bit more time (due mostly to our DD5) and started to feel a bit clausterphobic.

We have a 4-night booked in June in another Cat 11, but my in-laws will be in the Cat 7 across the hall - so we'll have some access to their verandah.

Next year, we've booked a Cat 9 on Deck 2 for our 7-night cruise. The main reason being that my DD's downtime is to play/color in the room. My DH and I would rather be on deck where we can at least see the water. Since we're using DVC points for the cruise, we compromised and spent a few extra points (due to our rebooking discount) to go up a couple of categories so we could at least look out at the water while the DD plays in the room.

It really all depends on the amount of time you plan to spend. The room size/layout difference is minimal (or non-existant, as the cat 10 is the same as a cat 9, save for the porthole). You can get an inside room on a higher deck, if that matters (cat 9s are on Decks 1 and 2).

For us, if it's inside or no cruise, I'd go with the inside. We'll probably only ever spend cash on an inside room. When our DD gets older, we'll probably be fine in insides for longer cruises again. But for now, I think we'll be a bit happier in a room we can at least look outside in, so we can get room service or read or hang out and still see the ocean.

Amanda

I have to have a window no matter how much time I spend in the cabin. I can't stand waking up to pitch black in the morning and having it feel like the middle of the night. I always thought cruise lines should have some kind of artificial lighting to make it gradually lighter in the morning, like a fake window. But that's just me. :rolleyes: I do actually spend some time in the cabin and I love to look out at the ocean.

Both of your choices are exactly the same, except for the window. The Deluxe Inside Stateroom is exactly the same as the porthole stateroom...same layout, same amenities, same everything...except for the window. If you care about the natural light go with the window. If not then go with the inside stateroom. If it were me I'd go for the inside every time and use the price difference as a deposit on my next cruise or toward purchase/shore excursions/spa treatments/etc. ...but it really is up to you.

Thank you everyone for your input-it is really helping me weigh the pros and cons. :)

Keep the opinions/experiences coming...

I haven't been on a cruise yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt.... but I've been told that the best cure for seasickness is being able to see the horizon... so since I don't know if I get seasick, I thought we needed a window at least. I may make a different decision on future cruises, once I know whether seasickness is an issue, and see how much time we spend in the stateroom.

Category 9 is my fave room, it is what we always book...so I guess that is my vote. :)

But that is quite a bit of a price difference, so I can see why you would be unsure. How many people will be in the cabin, and if there are children, what are their ages? I have found that we spend more time in our room since we have small children, so I really like to be able to look outside. The kids really like it too...on our last cruise we would wake up and look right out to see how close we were to the port. When DH and I traveled before we had the kids, we always got an inside cabin, and it was fine. We could come and go as we pleased, and it was not a problem to walk up to deck 9 to enjoy the view. But with our young children we are often slaves to naptime and bedtime and rest time and tantrum time...LOL...so I do appreciate having the window. We tend to spend quite a bit of time in our room, so it is worth it to us. When our kids are a bit older I would definitely consider an inside cabin again, especially when there is a big price difference.

Although the oceanview room is the same size as the category 10, it seems larger. The window does make it seem bigger. And it is so nice to have the natural light. The inside cabins are DARK. Even with the lights on, I felt like it was sort of a cave. Good for sleeping, but a bit annoying otherwise.

Is all of that worth $1000-$1300? Only you can say. It is a lot of money, and money you could spend on excursions, etc. Because you will most likely spend even more while onboard, they make it too easy to charge to your card. ;) Maybe that extra $1000 could be saved for your onboard acct (that seems to be about what we spend on a 7day cruise). HTH! Let us know what you decide.

We did the inside room the first cruise and it felt like being in a packing crate. We had a hard time being in the room and relaxing. We tried cruising again in a cat9 and the window made all the difference in the world. Nine cruises later and loving it:thumbsup2

Rob

I spent more time than I thought I would in my cabin and really enjoyed my window. It was also very exciting to open the curtains in the morning to completely new and beautiful surroundings.

For 7 night cruises I enjoy a window. For 4 nights I can live without it. We're hardly in it anyway.

KensJen: DS will be 8 almost 9 when we go on this cruise...

If it was only like $300-$500 more-I wouldn't even think about an inside stateroom, but this is quite a difference. And never having been on a cruise before-I just don't know. My instinct says I'll regret not having a window. I tend to be a little more on the claustraphobic side and I do love my natural light-can't stand florscent lights-they give me a headaches. I really wish we could have a verandah-but I'm have such a difficult time justify spending that much money over a little bit of natural light when we can leave our stateroom and go anywhere else on the ship to get natural light. I mean hey, I live in Syracuse, NY-I hardly EVER see natural light in the winter!!!!:lmao: Which brings me to my next thought-we are taking this cruise at Christmas to escape the depressing dark winter here-maybe it IS worth the money???

When I start adding up the costs of excursions, tipping, photos, getting passports, spa treatments, bar drinks-yup, there will be a couple of those ;) airfare, transfers, insurance.....on and on and on it is by far more than we've ever spent on a trip. We're also the type of people who like to go on a couple of vacations each year-so the idea of splurging on this trip then don't go on a vacation for the next year or two would be torture for us.

It's not so much a question of do we have the money-it's more a question of-is this worth spending our money on. For example, at WDW we prefer to stay at WL. I agree that Poly, GF, etc are nice-but I have a hard time justifying paying the $$$ difference to stay there when we are very happy staying at WL-but I would gladly pay the extra to stay at WL over staying at a moderate.

Ok. Those are my thoughts to date. Keep those opinions/experinces coming-they are very helpful! You guys are awesome!

Well, I think with just one child who is almost 9...I'd get the inside room. Yes, you will wish you had the window, but you will be happy you have that "extra" $1200 for all of the other fun things you want to do. Otherwise you will go into the trip feeling like you already spent too much, kwim? At least that is how I would feel. We are thinking of doing the Christmas cruise this year so I totally get what you are saying about the rates, ouch. And since I have cruised with DCL many other times it hurts even more. I know I can cruise a week before for a lot less. But I do think it would be fun and so special to cruise at Christmas. :santa:

But you guys can spend more time out of your room, I think a child that age will want to explore a lot with you and won't want to be in the room either. So, I change my vote...get the category 10. :thumbsup2

I'mdory, I had the same decision to make. What I did is make a list. What does it give me as a plus to do a balcony room (I didn't like the available rooms with a window and balcony didn't cost much more) and what were the 'costs'? What is plus about an inside and what will it cost me? Than I took a look at the list to find out which plus I could live without. What 'cost' didn't I want to suffer? Than it was very easy.

I want this cruise to be a Wow-thing. Maybe it's a once in a lifetime experience. No way I want to ruin the risk of being miserable in an inside room at such a trip! The worst it could cost me? I wont be able to pay it for sept 2009. OK, so than I'll have to postpone. I realised I'ld rather postpone and go with the balcony than GO and run the risk of it being disappointing. I'ld rather do this trip and no more for the next 5 years, than 5 'nice but not DreamTrip'.

I made the decision and looked at some photos of the rooms later that day. Have you seen pics of both categories allready? Just by looking at the photos (those screenfilling ones, the smaller ones looked less brrr) for more than 2 minutes made me feel like the walls were coming for me allredy. I can only wonder how I'ld feel after 7 days. No, that sealed the deal for me; it's a category 6 with balcony. :)

Not to be negative, and definitely not saying anything at all negative about DCL, just an observation from a recent experience...My parents and their friends, and my husband and I were on a Med. cruise (RCCL) last year, and my parents' friends both got Norwalk virus. They were quarantined to their room. Luckily they had the aft stateroom with a large deck, and were very grateful for having it. If they had been stuck inside with not even a porthole, I think they would have gone mad! I hope this never happens to anyone, but it does sometimes happen. I would definitely want a window if confined to quarters! Especially with little ones.

Not to be negative, and definitely not saying anything at all negative about DCL, just an observation from a recent experience...My parents and their friends, and my husband and I were on a Med. cruise (RCCL) last year, and my parents' friends both got Norwalk virus. They were quarantined to their room. Luckily they had the aft stateroom with a large deck, and were very grateful for having it. If they had been stuck inside with not even a porthole, I think they would have gone mad! I hope this never happens to anyone, but it does sometimes happen. I would definitely want a window if confined to quarters! Especially with little ones.

OHHH! That IS a very good point!!!

Just keep in mind that the odds of this happening are so very small. We've been on 7 DCL cruises and never gotten sick on any of them. I don't think I"d spend all of the extra money for a verandah on the off chance I'd get sick and need to use it.

I'd book the cabin you want to have under non-quarantined circumstances.

I would take the inside cabin, hands down. We do not spend enough time in the room to justify the expense. Our first cruise back in 2000 we did have a verandah and I a bit of seasickness that first night out - looking out at the waves made me sick so I had to shut the curtain (was better the next day and could look out). Even if it is just $1000.00 more - is the porthole worth $140.00 a day to have? The decision is ultimately yours but that is my opinion and experience.

I would take the inside cabin, hands down. We do not spend enough time in the room to justify the expense. Our first cruise back in 2000 we did have a verandah and I a bit of seasickness that first night out - looking out at the waves made me sick so I had to shut the curtain (was better the next day and could look out).

Our friends find this to be true as well. They are prone to seasickness and always book a Category 10. While the common advice is usually to look at the horizon our friends find this to only make their seasickness worse. They have sailed twice in a Cat. 10 and not had any trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter