Poll: Which room should I book???

Which type of stateroom should I book?

• Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom w/4' porthole

• Deluxe Inside Stateroom-save $1,000-$1,300

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am all for the window. This kids (and I) loved waking in the morning and looking out at the sea. So cool. Plus as a family of 5, instead of booking the category 4 with verandah, we went for 2 connecting category 8 rooms and still saved about $1300!

I would have to at least have a window. I can't stand waking up in the winter when it's still dark outside. I would just have to be able to have that natural light and to know what was going on outside. I am assuming for that much of a price difference you're talking about 4 people so I would look at the nightly cost. You gave a ballpark figure but so just say it's $1,200. That works out to $42 something per person per night.

:confused3 I know it's a lot of money to go up from a porthole to a verandah but I didn't think it was that much of a price diff. to go from an inside to an outside cabin so I just peeked at the DCL website out of curiosity. I am not sure how many people you are talking about...but I didn't come up with anywhere close to that much of a price difference for Christmas week 2009!! I just randomly plugged in 2 adults & 2 kids (I picked ages 10 & 8). A Cat. 9 on the Eastern which departs on 12/19 was only $520 more than a Cat. 10 ($7,910.32 VS $7,390.32). The Western departs on 12/26 and a Cat. 9 was just $580 more than a Cat 10 on that one ($8,207.60 VS $7,627.60). I also looked at Christmas week for 2008. That's the Costa Maya cruise...a Cat. 9 is $8,398.44 and a Cat. 10 is $7,768.44 which is a $630 difference. I am just not sure where you are coming up with $1,000 - $1,300 diff. unless you've got a lot more kids that you didn't mention!!:goodvibes I don't know what I'm missing. These prices all include about $276 for the bus transfers and $336 for the trip insurance!

On all three of our DCL we have had an cat. 11. We have zero need for a window, or for that matter a balcony. We would never use the balcony if our neighbors smoked as we do not want to be bothered by it, but that is another thread. We are in our cabin for five things and none of which require a window or balcony.

We are getting one of each this year instead of the 2 cat 9s. The kids are never in the room to begin with so it made little sense to waste any extra money on the window. And DH and I have also debated on if we would honestly miss not having a window. We enjoy everything on the ship and spend as much time as possible on the open decks.

I would have to at least have a window. I can't stand waking up in the winter when it's still dark outside. I would just have to be able to have that natural light and to know what was going on outside. I am assuming for that much of a price difference you're talking about 4 people so I would look at the nightly cost. You gave a ballpark figure but so just say it's $1,200. That works out to $42 something per person per night.

:confused3 I know it's a lot of money to go up from a porthole to a verandah but I didn't think it was that much of a price diff. to go from an inside to an outside cabin so I just peeked at the DCL website out of curiosity. I am not sure how many people you are talking about...but I didn't come up with anywhere close to that much of a price difference for Christmas week 2009!! I just randomly plugged in 2 adults & 2 kids (I picked ages 10 & 8). A Cat. 9 on the Eastern which departs on 12/19 was only $520 more than a Cat. 10 ($7,910.32 VS $7,390.32). The Western departs on 12/26 and a Cat. 9 was just $580 more than a Cat 10 on that one ($8,207.60 VS $7,627.60). I also looked at Christmas week for 2008. That's the Costa Maya cruise...a Cat. 9 is $8,398.44 and a Cat. 10 is $7,768.44 which is a $630 difference. I am just not sure where you are coming up with $1,000 - $1,300 diff. unless you've got a lot more kids that you didn't mention!!:goodvibes I don't know what I'm missing. These prices all include about $276 for the bus transfers and $336 for the trip insurance!

:confused3 Now I'm confused!! :lmao: I'm looking at Dec. 2009 7 Night WC 2 Adults 1 Child (8)NO Airfare, NO transfers(going to rent a car or get a towncar service), NO insurance(don't worry, I'm going to get it at insuremytrip.com)

Category 8 $6,606.70
Category 9 $6,333.70 ($273 difference from 8 to 9)
Category 10 $5,546.70 ($1,060 difference from 8 to 10-and still $787 less than a category 9)
Category 11 $5,346.70 ($1,260 difference from 8 to 11)

I got these numbers from doing a mock reservation on the DCL site and I'm working with a travel agent who is coming up with the same numbers.:confused3

It almost seems like we should consider Category 9-but that is still $787 more. Which I might be inclined to do-but DH is of the mindset that unless it was closer to $300 to maybe $500 to bump up...

We're making our decision today-I think we are probably going to book Category 11 Deck 2 (I would have preferred Deck 7-but nothing available). DH talked to people at work and they said that inside was the way to go-so he is convinced. I'm thinking if I go with the flow on this, perhaps...

1. I might find the inside isn't so bad and save a good deal of $$ to spend on other fun stuff.
2. Will give me an "excuse" to book another cruise while on board to upgrade next time! So maybe this cost saving measure will cost us a bundle more in the end!!:lmao:

Either way, it will be Christmas and New Years and we'll be on our 1st Disney Cruise-who can't be totally excited with that no matter if we've got a window for 7 nights or not?

Thanks to EVERYONE for your responses-you don't know how helpful you've been- my "panel of experts" :)

We're making our decision today-I think we are probably going to book Category 11 Deck 2 (I would have preferred Deck 7-but nothing available). DH talked to people at work and they said that inside was the way to go-so he is convinced. I'm thinking if I go with the flow on this, perhaps...

Just an FYI...there are no 11s on Deck 2. The 11s are on Decks 5, 6 & 7. Deck 2 has 9's, 10's and 12's.

1. I might find the inside isn't so bad and save a good deal of $$ to spend on other fun stuff.
2. Will give me an "excuse" to book another cruise while on board to upgrade next time! So maybe this cost saving measure will cost us a bundle more in the end!!:lmao:

Reason #2 is exactly why I'd go with the inside. The money you save will pay the deposit on another cruise. You can book while on board and get the 10% discount and stateroom credit for your next sailing!

Either way, it will be Christmas and New Years and we'll be on our 1st Disney Cruise-who can't be totally excited with that no matter if we've got a window for 7 nights or not?

Exactly! Great attitude.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your responses-you don't know how helpful you've been- my "panel of experts" :)

We love deck 5 aft. We have booked 5133 twice (inside cat11). No split bath but it is just my DH and DD6. Deck 5 is quiet, aft is close to elevatiors, theater and kids clubs are on deck5. We are able to take the stairs except when going to deck 9 (too lazy). We like the fact that the hallways are short. We had a cat9 last cruise and the porthole was nice but not something we can live without for the money.

:confused3 Now I'm confused!! :lmao: I'm looking at Dec. 2009 7 Night WC 2 Adults 1 Child (8)NO Airfare, NO transfers(going to rent a car or get a towncar service), NO insurance(don't worry, I'm going to get it at insuremytrip.com)

Category 8 $6,606.70
Category 9 $6,333.70 ($273 difference from 8 to 9)
Category 10 $5,546.70 ($1,060 difference from 8 to 10-and still $787 less than a category 9)
Category 11 $5,346.70 ($1,260 difference from 8 to 11)

I got these numbers from doing a mock reservation on the DCL site and I'm working with a travel agent who is coming up with the same numbers.:confused3

It almost seems like we should consider Category 9-but that is still $787 more. Which I might be inclined to do-but DH is of the mindset that unless it was closer to $300 to maybe $500 to bump up...

Of course there's a big price diff. between an 8 and an 11. I was only checking the highest inside compared to the lowest outside so it was only 1 cat. diff. When I drop the ins. & xfers I get the same price on the Cat 10 as you but I don't get the same price on the Cat 9 - it's still only $580 diff not $787. :confused3 I don't know why I get diff. numbers...but I would just suggest if you're going with the inside cabin to think about the Cat 10's as they are slightly larger and have the split bath! Even with only 3 of you it's so helpful to be able to have 2 people getting ready at once! I always shower first then move over to the other 1/2 so DH can shower...then we throw DS in....but it's just a really convenient feature! Have fun!

I would book the Cat 9 on deck 2. I think you might miss the window on a 7night cruise.

It's not so much a question of do we have the money-it's more a question of-is this worth spending our money on. For example, at WDW we prefer to stay at WL. I agree that Poly, GF, etc are nice-but I have a hard time justifying paying the $$$ difference to stay there when we are very happy staying at WL-but I would gladly pay the extra to stay at WL over staying at a moderate.

Ok. Those are my thoughts to date. Keep those opinions/experinces coming-they are very helpful! You guys are awesome!

We're really a lot of help, eh?

Last check of the poll it was split exactly 50/50 :rotfl2:

Guess it's the old different strokes for different folks addage at work. ;)

Given some of your previous posts and your comments above about what you prefer at WDW; I'd say go for a Cat 9 on deck 2 if possible.

The natural light really is a bonus and if you're tying to get away from dark, dreary weather at home... I think you'll really appreciate it.
That said, being on a cruise; whether with a verandah, a porthole, or an inside cabin is better than being at work/school/etc. Right?

Be sure to let us know what your final decision is.

Edited to add:
Just did a quick check on All Seas site
(I love the way they have the prices laid out... easy to compare)

For the Dec. 19, 2009 cruise 2 adults/1 child
looks like $700 more to go from a Cat 11 to a Cat 9
and $520 more to go from a Cat 10 to a Cat 9

Still a chunk of change, but not $1,000+
Maybe a little help in convincing your DH to see the light.
(pun intended) ;)

We're really a lot of help, eh?

Last check of the poll it was split exactly 50/50 :rotfl2:

Being that it is 50/50 here and among our friends and relatives that have been on cruises too-makes us lean toward the decision to book a 10 or 11 to save money and see how we feel about it, since it isn't clearly a better choice one way or the other.

Guess it's the old different strokes for different folks addage at work. ;)

Given some of your previous posts and your comments above about what you prefer at WDW; I'd say go for a Cat 9 on deck 2 if possible.

The natural light really is a bonus and if you're tying to get away from dark, dreary weather at home... I think you'll really appreciate it.
That said, being on a cruise; whether with a verandah, a porthole, or an inside cabin is better than being at work/school/etc. Right?

Since it is Good Friday-I won't be able to get a hold of my TA until after the weekend now, so I still have a few more days to think about it-but we're seriously leaning toward Cat. 10. I'm going to do some more Cat. 9 investigations though based on what some other people are saying-maybe I've got it wrong.

Be sure to let us know what your final decision is.

Edited to add:
Just did a quick check on All Seas site
(I love the way they have the prices laid out... easy to compare)

For the Dec. 19, 2009 cruise 2 adults/1 child
looks like $700 more to go from a Cat 11 to a Cat 9
and $520 more to go from a Cat 10 to a Cat 9

Can't do Dec. 19th, 2009-our 1st day of Christmas Break here is Dec. 24th...I'm a teacher-can't go early.:sad1:

Still a chunk of change, but not $1,000+
Maybe a little help in convincing your DH to see the light.
(pun intended) ;)

What a tough decision!!

ooops. I did mean Category 10 on Deck 2.

When choosing your cabin, avoid the 10s between the Forward and Midship elevators. Those are right underneath the dance club and you'll get a steady thumping noise in your stateroom until about 2am! Also, avoid the very 2 Aft 10s as they get some vibration.

Of course there's a big price diff. between an 8 and an 11. I was only checking the highest inside compared to the lowest outside so it was only 1 cat. diff. When I drop the ins. & xfers I get the same price on the Cat 10 as you but I don't get the same price on the Cat 9 - it's still only $580 diff not $787. :confused3 I don't know why I get diff. numbers...but I would just suggest if you're going with the inside cabin to think about the Cat 10's as they are slightly larger and have the split bath! Even with only 3 of you it's so helpful to be able to have 2 people getting ready at once! I always shower first then move over to the other 1/2 so DH can shower...then we throw DS in....but it's just a really convenient feature! Have fun!

I rechecked-according to what I just put into DCL site-I'm getting $6,126.70 for Category 9-I got it wrong somehow.
SO that now makes the difference between window or no window only $480. Before I didn't consider Category 9 b/c they are on Deck 2 and I thought I could get a Category 10 on Deck 7. I was under the impression that a Cat. 10 on Deck 7 would be better than a Cat. 9 on Deck 2. (don't know why...) Well, there is no availability of Cat. 10 on Deck 7-so if we book Category 10 we will be on Deck 2 mid aft or all the way aft. This now makes me wonder if it is worth the $ to go Cat. 9??? Oh my....a good friend of DH that has been on a few cruises advised him to save $$ and book interior-I fear there is NO convincing him to upgrade at any cost now.

When choosing your cabin, avoid the 10s between the Forward and Midship elevators. Those are right underneath the dance club and you'll get a steady thumping noise in your stateroom until about 2am! Also, avoid the very 2 Aft 10s as they get some vibration.

Thanks so much for that info! According to my TA yesterday, the only Cat.10 availability is Deck 2 Aft. I see there are two Aft sections. I think there are some rooms in the Aft section that are in between the mid and all the way aft section(2103/2603) I'm hoping to get something in that area and avoid the all the way aft rooms. I read on the room reports a lot about vibration in these rooms.

We are more than 19 months out-I can't believe how fast these rooms sell! I wish I had thought about going on this cruise a few months ago when the rooms were newly released. When I tell friends that I'm in the process of booking a Dec. 2009 cruise they think I'm a crazy overplanner!:lmao: I'm sure that the fact that it is Christmas week and we'll be at sea for New Years Eve might have something to do with the early booking of this one.

I rechecked-according to what I just put into DCL site-I'm getting $6,126.70 for Category 9-I got it wrong somehow.
SO that now makes the difference between window or no window only $480. Before I didn't consider Category 9 b/c they are on Deck 2 and I thought I could get a Category 10 on Deck 7. I was under the impression that a Cat. 10 on Deck 7 would be better than a Cat. 9 on Deck 2. (don't know why...) Well, there is no availability of Cat. 10 on Deck 7-so if we book Category 10 we will be on Deck 2 mid aft or all the way aft. This now makes me wonder if it is worth the $ to go Cat. 9??? Oh my....a good friend of DH that has been on a few cruises advised him to save $$ and book interior-I fear there is NO convincing him to upgrade at any cost now.

I feel for you. I just couldn't be w/o a window. We went to Disney Quest last summer for like 4 or 5 hours and it was driving me crazy not to be able to see outside to know if the sun was out or if it stormed or what was going on. I was finally like "I HAVE to get out of here!" I was feeling claustrophobic. Turned out we DID miss one of those afternoon storms - but only knew b'cuz of the leftover puddles!:goodvibes

You are not crazy to book so early for a good price! We booked for this July 16 months out in order to snag one of the SPH Cat 10's! We're using DVC points for the 4 n cruise and paying cash for the 3 n. so snagging a 10 was really impt. so that we'd have enough points to cover all of us AND so we could keep our out-of-pocket expenses down! However, if we couldn't have gotten an SPH room tho I'd have used points for 2 of us and paid cash for DS in order to have a window... So I still vote for the Cat 9! You have a LONG time to save up the extra $500!:)

I cruised Princess cruises many times before DCL, and a couple of the ships didnt have so many verandahs so you had to purchase inside rooms.

I must say I personally found thoose claustrophobic and on the lower decks I siffered a bit of seasickness.

I found booking a verandah helps and you do not feel claustrophobic, its nice to wake up with the daylight coming in, I open the curtains during the night, and look to first thnig to see where you are.

I love the Cat 4's everyone I have been in have been great,

I will use the verandah a lot on this forthcoming Panama crossing cruise, and wont have to worry about getting hot out on deck or loosing my spot.

Now the problem is I have a CAT 3 FOR 2009, will I be able to go back to a Cat 4?

On our first cruise we had an inside room, and it was fine because we didn't know what we were missing. Once you have a window or especially a verandah it's really difficult to go back to an inside room, at least that's our experience.

On our first cruise we had an inside room, and it was fine because we didn't know what we were missing. Once you have a window or especially a verandah it's really difficult to go back to an inside room, at least that's our experience.

I agree, its the same as an upgrade on a flight, you cannot go back. Although the orginal seat/room was ok.

If there are only three of you, a sideways cat 11 is a great choice. You feel like you have more room since you enter the room in the "middle". Take a standard cat 11, rotate it 90 degrees and move the door to between the TV and the bath. We love the layout and it was the absolute hit of our DisMeet room tour on our cruise last Oct. Can't say that you actually have more room, but it FEELS like you have more room and it's definitely less congested coming in and out of the room. All the sideways cat 11s are in the forward area of decks 5 and 6 so very little traffic and very quiet - but easy access to elevators, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter