• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help settle another stroller debate

Yes, I would very much recommend one for a 5 year old, especially if you've never been there. It's huge. The ones in the parks are incredibly expensive, we just brought our own.
Oh, we've been before but I've never taken her by myself before (even though it's just for a few days until my husband joins us) and didn't know if getting a stroller would help. She basically stopped hanging in a stroller when she was 2 or so and we only used a stroller intermittently last time we took her to Disney. I still have a Maclaren umbrella (perfect for my height) but I don't know if I want to bring it with me or not. The idea of schlepping it on the plane and whatnot-blech!

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, we've been before but I've never taken her by myself before (even though it's just for a few days until my husband joins us) and didn't know if getting a stroller would help. She basically stopped hanging in a stroller when she was 2 or so and we only used a stroller intermittently last time we took her to Disney. I still have a Maclaren umbrella (perfect for my height) but I don't know if I want to bring it with me or not. The idea of schlepping it on the plane and whatnot-blech!

Decisions, decisions.

I know that it is more expensive,but we just rented one at the parks. No one wanted to drag it on and off the bus, etc especially since it was only used in a park.

Our first WDW trip was when our kids were 4, 4 and 6. We went without a stroller. Just have to take it slow and get them in bed at a decent time as they will be worn out. I'd rather deal with a little whining and walking slower than try to push a dang stroller through the crowds.

Oooh, I love a good stroller thread! You are right, do the double. I know there will be nay-sayers who will say "the 7 year old should be able to walk and even push the 3 year old around." I too have a 7 year old and she would push her 3 year old brother out of the stroller if she needed to! You don't want to carry a 7 year old around, go for the double, and allow him to rest a bit!

Ditto, get a double. If he doesn't sit, extra storage for stuff!

Does any place rent the sit/stand strollers? Do what is right for your family. You'll hear mixed things. If hubby says no to double tell him he'll be on packing 7 year old duty.

OMG get a stroller, who wants to drag around a hot, crabby, tired, baby? You spend a lot to get there, allowing your child to chill in the stroller while you are still going strong will make everyone's experience a better one. He can certainly start the day walking but getting a break from the hot asphalt and/or the Disney sensory overload while you march on is the way to go.

Our first WDW trip was when our kids were 4, 4 and 6. We went without a stroller. Just have to take it slow and get them in bed at a decent time as they will be worn out. I'd rather deal with a little whining and walking slower than try to push a dang stroller through the crowds.

I dont think it is necessarily dealing with whining for many families. My DGD is 15 now, but when she was little we always made sure we rented a stroller. SHe almost never had used one at home once she started walking, but WDW was a different animal. WHile we never would have stayed in a park we she was tired, we knew that there were times she just needed an escape for a little bit. Waiting for parades was a good time for her to rest, or when some of the adults were going on an attraction she did not.

We were all content to take touring at her pace, but if you add families with different age children into the mix, and different needs, who do you please? If a stroller allows a compromise for all the children to stay in a park longer, what is the harm? I firmly believe that family dynamics should be the key, and because we do not know what makes a trip enjoyable for the entire family.

Honestly, the stroller would partly be for me so I can have an additional place to plop the backpack when my back is getting tired. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to rent ahead of time to get a more comfortable stroller for her. Or if I should bring my old Maclaren to the parks. Decisions, decisions.

Strollers are like Mobile command centers! ;o)

For me it actually helps keep me moving and walking, think of it as a big walking aid! lol... The fact we can have the kids relax and nap independently is a huge bonus, but as others have said, it carries bags, backpacks, snacks etc.. and is easily maneuverable through the parks. While I think it can be sometimes difficult to pass through crowds, i actually think it is easier to get through at times as people move due to the stroller.

I'm taking one until my kids are old enough to drive! haha ;o)

Thank you all for all of your advice and comments- it really gave us a lot of discussion talking points. We have decided to rent a double stroller from an off site vendor. I think my 7 year old will walk most of the time..but in case he wants to rest or chill- we will have space for him. We are not necessarily park rangers- but more of a Rope Drop til 2pm and then back in the evening after decent break and dinner. If not- we will have storage space and somewhere to contain him during crowded areas.

Thank you all for all of your advice and comments- it really gave us a lot of discussion talking points. We have decided to rent a double stroller from an off site vendor. I think my 7 year old will walk most of the time..but in case he wants to rest or chill- we will have space for him. We are not necessarily park rangers- but more of a Rope Drop til 2pm and then back in the evening after decent break and dinner. If not- we will have storage space and somewhere to contain him during crowded areas.

That containment thing....it was really a good option when we were there just prior to Christmas. My DGD was a little peanut and the crowds were horrendous! When we were moving she was either in her father's arms or in the stroller. When my own daughter was 3 she was pulled from my sister's grasp and swept along in the crowd as the doors of a show opened. It was awful, and I know that the experience colors all of my own stroller responses even now.

As a MOTHER, you know your child best. I am simply mind blown by the silly responses of people who say by 7 a child should never be in a stroller or there's something wrong with that. Tune out the ignorance and listen to your gut. Who cares what other parents have or have not forced their own children to do. If you are feeling your child will need it, (heat, numerous hours on your feet, numerous miles of walking, etc.) then GET IT, and just be prepared to do much of the pushing. I'm a parent that always looks at ways of making my child's life (and mine) easier. I see no bad habits being "reinforced". I see a parent who's smart enough to think ahead of their child's comfort as well as their own. Period. Hope it helps:)

Our "touring style" is somewhat similar to yours. We don't rope drop in the sense of showing up 45 minutes before park open, but we'll arrive right around opening time, or within 15-20 minutes of it. Stay until early afternoon then head out. We stay off site, so sometimes we come back at night, sometimes we just decide we're happy to hang at the pool, go out for a treat for the kids, or just sit and relax at "home". The stroller is great for carrying stuff (we don't travel light, we pack our food), we never have to carry anything on our backs. Like you said, the "containment" part of it is also great. Many nights we've stayed for fireworks at MK and while a stroller can be a bit unwieldy at times, it just makes it incredibly easy to have the kids stay with you as you navigate through the crowd.

I'd say it depends on the child (especially his/her physical fitness and the climate that you are coming from), but IME, kindergarten is usually the last year that the average kid will feel comfortable in a stroller. Much older than that and they tend to think it's too babyish.

If you are renting it probably doesn't make much difference, but if you are bringing your own, I'd say a single will do fine, with a buggyboard hooked on if you really think the 7 yo will be too tired to walk.

It'll be a lot of walking and if it's hot then it'll be uncomfortable to do so for hours. I'd rent the double. If it was a local museum or fair then a single would be fine but WDW is in a different league of its own. If you don't rent the double then tell your husband he'll have to carry the 7yr old when he/she gets tired, lol

We debated a double but went with a single. (Compromise was we rented a City Mini GT with higher limits just in case). Ds6 has not complained even once! So glad we got a single...easier on the buses. We are touring rope drop-2ish, then back to resort.

We do Disneyland without strollers with a 5 and a 7 year old. The 5 year old gets tired and will occasionally get carried, but the 7 1/2 year old has never once asked. I know WDW is bigger, but in your situation I would not get a double. In fact when we go to WDW next August with a 9 and a 6 year old we will not plan to get a stroller. I might rent one for the day at Epcot, but TBH I find being without a stroller very freeing. We don't bring a lot of stuff to carry and take breaks as needed. I know some people stay offsite and have to carry a lot of extra clothes or food with them so that changes the equation a bit. We are also not rope drop to close people either.

A double is perfect my sister in law got a double when she went down with her 8 year old son and 4 year old daughter. She thanked us soo much for convincing her and her husband to get the double.

Our kids were 5 & 7 when we went and we were SO happy to have the double. We didn't have a stroller at all the first 2 days and it was ok, but it was just DH, myself and the kids. Once the grandparents joined and we slowed down a bit (we did 8 days total) it was so great. I packed in lunch most days (I do not do junk food much) and my DD7 is an introvert so she liked a place to hide from the crowds as much as anything. Disney can be sensory overload for kids and having that little escape I believe helped us avoid meltdowns. Totally worth it. (Also, I bought a balloon at the Dollar Tree which was great as it was a different balloon than everyone else's and made the stroller easy to spot.)

7 years old and still needs a stroller there is really something wrong with that. At 7 he should be able to walk.

Well that was rude... My 7 year old way back when didn't need a stroller and never used one at home but at Disney he was happy we rented a double stroller so he could rest. Our youngest was 5 and she definitely needed it. It was hot and they can be in good shape but still not able to walk 10 miles a day. He didn't use it most of the time but I was happy to have it when he needed a break or wanted to cool off with a cold drink. We are taking my granddaughter who will be almost 5 years old in October and we are bringing a stroller so she can nap or take a break. Do what is right for you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter