Please do NOT go to Disney World if you (or your children) are sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
that live vaccine mist freaks me out.

i'm bringing the purell spray. you cough on me, i spray your face. ;)

I just took the live vaccine mist this morning. I was told that it is more effective than the shot because it is the actual virus. Also, I was happy because - No Needles!

My son had his mist last week. He's fine, except for the green, moss-like fungus that is growing out of both nostrils. But, that was present before the vaccination, so it probably is not related.

I do enjoy threads where everybody throws out a statistic to make their point. I am hopeful my kids don't get exposed, but not in a panic about it. I am more hopeful we don't get hit by a drunk driver as we drive around town. Anyone know how many people were hurt by idiots behind the wheel so far this flu season? I am just saying to keep things in perspective.

I just took the live vaccine mist this morning. I was told that it is more effective than the shot because it is the actual virus. Also, I was happy because - No Needles!

My son had his mist last week. He's fine, except for the green, moss-like fungus that is growing out of both nostrils. But, that was present before the vaccination, so it probably is not related.

was that the seasonal green fungus, or the swiney green fungus?

so, do any of the board docs recommend h1n1 vaccine for those who have already had it?

If you had it (tested), don't get the vaccine so someone else can get it.
Plus it won't do you any good anyway, just give you a sore arm. :)

so, do any of the board docs recommend h1n1 vaccine for those who have already had it?

My DD had a nasty virus last week with lots of the symptoms, but since it was never confirmed, her doc said it's still a good idea to vaccinate.

I'm guessing most of the ones that say they will go sick or take thier children sick have never actually been at disney when sick. Alot of times on here people say a bad day at disney is better than a regular day at home, this does NOT ring true when you are sick. I have never been sicker in my entire life than I was a Disney a few years ago. We left with what I thought was a mild sinus infection coming on and it continued to get worse, we had a doctor visit me and also got antibiotics at disney. 6 days later we ended up renting a car driving straight home (no flights for 3 days) and to the ER. I was extremly sick and needed many rounds of antibiotics and was off work for another 3 weeks. Every second I was at Disney on my dream trip (longest yet, supposed to be 2 weeks, first one w/ free dining, at Christmas, nicest resort we had been able to afford yet, had CRT for Breakfast and LeCellier for dinner booked, the Segway Tour booked, etc) when my illness kicked in I was miserable. I tried to be a trooper and tough it out for my traveling companions and it was awful. There is nothing worse than being sick somewhere like Disney when you SHOULD be having the time of your life on a trip you have looked forward to and planned for a year and you are down and out.

Think about your kids (or yourself) if you are sick before you go, how will you remember that trip, as a fun happy time or as one of the most miserable weeks ever spent on this earth?

I'm sorry about your trip. :flower3:

I've copied and pasted what I posted earlier about what happened to us earlier this month:

For months we planned our third trip to WDW with children. We specifically wanted to go back in October because we love MNSSHP.

The kids were so excited. We had our first character meals reserved. Akershus, CRT and Chef Mickey's.

We arrived late on Saturday, October 3. We did our usual grocery shopping, then snuggled in bed ready to begin our day at Epcot the next day. On Sunday, we awoke early and got to the park before opening. We were able to jump into the Character Spot quickly and had photos taken of the kids with Mickey, Minne, Donald, Goofy and Pluto.

Then, we were off to Akershus. We had a blast. Turned out that DS4 enjoyed the princesses (and Mary Poppins!) more than DD3. ;)

We rode Test Track and Nemo, then decided to head back for a nap because we wanted to do Sea World that night because we've been wanting to see Shamu Rocks for years.

Sea World was great. Got tickets upgraded to the 2nd day and went back to the condo where we watched the Epcot fireworks from our balcony. Everything that day was so wonderful and magical.

Then, around 9 p.m., DS started complaining about being cold. He began shivering and suddenly spiked a fever. He'd had a cough for a couple of days so I was concerned that he had an upper respiratory infection. I found the number and location of a pediatric aftercare clinic and took him in. By the time we got there, he was having difficulty breathing and was unresponsive. His O2 sat was 82!!! :eek:

They called an ambulance to the clinic to take him to an ER. We were transported to Osceola Regional Medical Center. He was given breathing treatments, IV fluids and oxygen. An X-ray showed he had pneumonia.

It was the most awful, scary feeling in the world to have such a sick child so far away from home. DH felt helpless as I had to leave the car at the clinic, so he was at the condo all night with DD and no transportation.

The ER doctor then determined that it would be best to transport DS to Arnold Palmer. We waited EIGHT hours for a bed when finally the ER doctor on the next shift decided that since DS was improving, they would keep him at Osceola Regional.

We spent the next four days in the hospital doing breathing treatments, IV antibiotics and steroids around the clock. DS was finally discharged on the day before we were to leave. He is doing much better now and that is all that matters. But, we can't help but to be sad about all of the things they missed seeing and doing that week.

We initially planned on going back rather soon, but we just spent so much money on a trip that we really didn't get to take. Lesson learned - buy that trip insurance from now on!!!

DH and I were laughing and saying the kids will probably never want to go back to WDW because DS will think that means he has to stay in the hospital and DD will think it means staying in the condo all day, every day. ;)

On our last day, we wanted to go to MNSSHP but with the ridiculous heat and humidity, we didn't want to push DS. So, we watched the fireworks from a distance and we went home the next morning. Although it didn't turn out like we had planned, there were a few magical moments and that was a trip we will surely NEVER forget. :upsidedow

we were not tested, but diagnosed. considering it was over a month ago, they said that more than likely it wasn't seasonal. they are seeing seasonal earlier than usual, but h1n1 was going nuts around here when we had it. the schools were blowing up with it. so we're just going on assumption, but we probably will skip the vaccine no matter what.

there are folks who need it.

also, i have my fingers crossed that come the 3rd week of december... the numbers around here will have dropped off a good bit.

rockinmama.. how scary!! so sorry you had to go through that, but so happy your son is healthy and happy again! poor little thing. that breaks my heart. :(

Actually I heard differently which surprised me from all the darn media. I swear were darned if you darned if you dont lol.

I stood on the wind/rain at the health dept for my shot. There was an Infectious Nurse there or what ever they are called. She was saying yes to get the shot if you have been exposed or had the H1N1.

Reason being - unless you had a confirmed lab its a numbers/guessing game and some cases could be mistaken.

#2 she gave which I am still trying to understand.... but she said the strain in the shot and the H1N1 are the same - ok - got that DUH. But the way it is in different areas is different. For example she referred to us as the NC Swine Flu. Its a little milder than the friends to our north (she pulled out a sheet I think from Indiana). She said is we get a mild bug here then exposed to a traveler or go somewhere then were not 100% immune to how it is in other areas. Now I am still trying to grasp that one so any RNs can chime in as I was coming in at the end of the convo. But she said the shot will protect you from different effects of the same strain.

I would have loved to been a few persons closer in the number line to heard all her spill but I was not.

She was telling ppl in the line if your exposed or kids at risk and had the H1 to still get the shot.

Now otherwise the kids pedi where they got theirs earlier told me the shot is not 100%, so a shot in the dark for full protection.

Sometimes I think they are just guessing. But really why take the chance. If you know your contagous dont share - please :)

You've planned your trip for a year now. You've done everything possible to get your kids excited and ready to go. The day you leave your daughter wakes up and says she doesnt feel well, are you staying home?

Lets be honest, unless you make multiple trips a year or live in the area, you're going.

Nope.If she has a fever then NO We aren't. My 5 yr old doesn't ever get sick.So if she gets up saying she feels lousy and has a fever,I cancel. I will be upset to cancel , but that was what trip insurance is for, and Disney Will ALWAYS BE THERE...

rockinmama, I'm so sorry about what happened to your family. You are to be commended for taking quick action when your DS suddenly fell so ill. I hope you guys will get to go back soon when everyone is healthy. :hug:

we were not tested, but diagnosed. considering it was over a month ago, they said that more than likely it wasn't seasonal. they are seeing seasonal earlier than usual, but h1n1 was going nuts around here when we had it. the schools were blowing up with it. so we're just going on assumption, but we probably will skip the vaccine no matter what.

there are folks who need it.

also, i have my fingers crossed that come the 3rd week of december... the numbers around here will have dropped off a good bit.

As you know, I am not of sound mind. That said, here's my thoughts. Unless they tested your strain and confirmed that it was swine, I would get the vaccination. I also think that this will get worse. By December, we will be starting to get into the peak of flu season. So, I would advise vaccinations, as well as the standard protection of encasing your house in saran wrap.

Just got back from the Dr.'s office with my DS8. He has a runny nose and cough for over a week. He had a fever over the weekend, so of course we wanted to check him out. The Dr. said that this year, the south was very wet, and this fall has been very high with pollen. My DS had a sinus infection, no flu what-so-ever, thank God!

People coughing, and runny nose, that aren't used to the south, may just be having a reaction to the high pollen count going on down here right now.

Just wanted to let you know.

As you know, I am not of sound mind. That said, here's my thoughts. Unless they tested your strain and confirmed that it was swine, I would get the vaccination. I also think that this will get worse. By December, we will be starting to get into the peak of flu season. So, I would advise vaccinations, as well as the standard protection of encasing your house in saran wrap.

been doing that since dick cheney had me convinced that there were WMDs in my backyard! :thumbsup2

My DD15 had a "presumed case" of H1N1 in June. She missed the last week of school and all her regents exams and had to make them up in summer school. However, at the time the county had stopped testing for the virus and was instead treating everyone as they had it, so while we belive she had it, we can't be positive. So, our doctor recomended that all of our girls, including her, get the vaccne. They had it last Thursday, we went with the nasal form. I hope I can get it at some point, I work at a prschool and really don't want to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter