Please do NOT go to Disney World if you (or your children) are sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, I had Strawberry Frosted Pop Tarts for breakfast and Spaghetti-O's for lunch (with meatballs)..and I'm not kidding.

Wall-E1, does your DW know how many girlfriends you make on this site every time you log in? :laughing: Look at you trying to tempt bgohre to your underground lair with your treats! :rotfl2:

No one is implying that we should miss out on our trips because of a simple cold or allergies. That's ridiculous. But potentially deadly infectious diseases are completely different then a histamine reaction or a 24 hr stomach bug. There's no use in debating the severity of the situation, because the sad fact of the matter is that NO ONE knows everything about this H1N1 flu. Additionally, Every person's body reacts differently to outside forces ("outside forces" being vaccinations, viruses, bacteria, etc). Because of this beautiful (and sometimes terrifying) reality, it's hard to predict how any condition will affect us, especially one as little understood as the current flu. So a condition that may result in little more than a runny nose and headache for one person, may very well prove to be nearly fatal for someone else.

I'd hope that none of us would be cruel enough to force our families to suffer through a serious illness at WDW (Personally, I don't even want to go to the grocery store when I have the flu!-- Even the Happiest Place on Earth would be downright miserable with a high fever...). But besides for that, consider the health of other people: No, maybe H1N1 might not be serious for you or your family-- your child might breeze right through it, but it could very well kill someone else. And I don't know how any of you feel, but I could not live with myself, thinking that I may have exposed another family to an illness that could have cost them the ultimate price. I'm sorry, but NO breakfast with Cinderella is worth that.

I hope I didn't offend or upset anyone with my post(s) but I just wanted to bring up a couple of points. We owe it to each other to help keep our families safe, happy, and healthy.

I want a pop tarts. unfortunately we are the 50# bag of wheat kind of folk.

I know that most do not mean to offend. But some really do not care how their actions might affect others. That offends me. That one who dies might be mine, or might be one I love or you love.

My dad got his flu shot last week. We had appointments to get ours Monday. Instead the rest of us got the flu. DD15 has ear infection/fever/runny nose. DD15 has cough/runny nose. (insists she isn't sick) DS13 has sore throat/runny nose. I had fever/clogged sinuses/wheezing. We are supposed to leave for WDW soon. All have been on drugs as prescribed since Monday. Tests for strep negative. I feel fine today & kids have all returned to school this morning.

I am not staying home.

And it is callous when it is someone you know. There are odds of having a child die during surgery. Usually they are considered to be "good." My child died. So, yes, when someone starting spouting dead kid stats, I take offense.

I agree and I understand what you are saying. My parents lost a child too. . .

I also hate statistics, because for that 1 family in 100 or 1 in 1 million, their child is much more than a number.

:grouphug:

Wall-E1, does your DW know how many girlfriends you make on this site every time you log in? :laughing: Look at you trying to tempt bgohre to your underground lair with your treats! :rotfl2:

Wall-E1 seems like a nice guy but he's not my type....I'm a dude.

No offense Wall-E1.

Wall-E1 seems like a nice guy but he's not my type....I'm a dude.

No offense Wall-E1.

Oops! :lmao:

I feel a little awkward joking with Wall-E1 during such a heavy topic. I really don't mean to offend anyone. It's just he cracks me up and I can't resist.

As far as the flu goes, I guess everyone is going to do what they're going to do. We all have to make the decision on whether it's worth it to us to risk taking our family into the environment or not. It's OUR responsibility to make that decision, even though we can blame the inconsiderate sick people if we come down with it while there (then again, lots are contagious without symptoms, so I guess it's back to our choice/responsibility).

If I were on chemo or had HIV, I wouldn't go to Disney because my immune system would be too weak to fight off those who will bring their sick kids to the park.

A cough, I understand.. doesn't really mean anything. It just freaks folks out. However, the parent is usually the only one who knows when their kid is running a high fever. It's their responsibility.

I am on chemo and I am going to Disney in January. My oncologist's philosophy is "never miss a party" and he is 100% behind my trip. I get weekly shots to boost my immune system and take all precautions (don't wipe my face with my hands, use lots of hand sanitizer, etc.). So please don't suggest to chemo patients they should miss something they love like a trip to Disney. I face the same germs in the supermarket, at work, in the movie theater, in church, etc. as I am going to face at Disney. Of course, each person is different and each person needs to talk to his/her oncologist before taking any trip and he/she needs to follow the doctor's suggestions.

No bubbles. I can't do anything about a bad/drunk driver. But if I could keep them off of the road I would, wouldn't you? I'm saying the same thing here. If someone is contagious, keep them off of the theoretical road.

And it is callous when it is someone you know. There are odds of having a child die during surgery. Usually they are considered to be "good." My child died. So, yes, when someone starting spouting dead kid stats, I take offense.

I am far from an alarmist. I just believe it is common courtesy to stay away from others when you are sick. Contagious sick. Not asthma or allergies, etc. Whether it is the flu, a cold, chicken pox, or pink eye.

Tired of people getting labeled alarmists because they are not callous.

eta: Just because there is a higher statistical chance of something occurring, it does not negate the other concerns. that is absurd. If I stick a fork in an outlet, there is a high statistical chance that I might be injured. That doesn't mean I should do something else stupid because there is a lesser chance of injury. Talk about ignorant.

wow, i'm at a loss of words. my sincerest thoughts and sympathies to you and your family. :(

thanks, I get testy when people act like the one doesn't matter. Not even saying that was the intention here.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was citing numbers for that very reason. EVERY life matters, regardless of how old, young, etc.

I can't imagine your loss and I'm so sorry to hear about it. I know it's no comparison (as if there even IS such a thing...) but I lost my dad to leukemia (which we didn't even know he had) when I was a teen. It's so hard to lose someone so suddenly. I think that's why I'm so adamant about people trying to stay on their guard-- because what might not hurt one person, may very well harm another.

I think we should all just keep on our toes and be a little more cautious than we normally would.

For anyone who is currently ill, ((hugs)) and hope you feel better soon. And for those of us who are well and have trips coming up, have a great time!!

You all are good folks. Thanks. I should know better than to mentally jump into a topic that can go down this road. I apologize for getting emotionally involved. I'm not really good at the thick skin needed on the internet sometimes.

To those of you who have lost, my heart felt sympathies. Whether a parent, child, sib or friend, it all hurts, and leaves some sort of scar.

sherry, best thoughts on your trip. My mom's oncologist had us wait for a trip down there, but that was her/our carrot for the end of chemo. be well.

You all are good folks. Thanks. I should know better than to mentally jump into a topic that can go down this road. I apologize for getting emotionally involved. I'm not really good at the thick skin needed on the internet sometimes.

To those of you who have lost, my heart felt sympathies. Whether a parent, child, sib or friend, it all hurts, and leaves some sort of scar.

sherry, best thoughts on your trip. My mom's oncologist had us wait for a trip down there, but that was her/our carrot for the end of chemo. be well.

:hug:

I think we all just need to use some common sense..I don't know what happened to that...Seems like a lot of people have lost it. I don't think you need to quarantine yourself if you are a high risk individual...then you will never go anywhere again, become a hermit, start having conversations with your cat , dog, gerbil, etc., get really involved with reality tv out of boredom, when you have sifted through all the dance shows, survivor, etc you will turn to the Real Housewives and Real World , then your brain will melt..

What kind of life is that?

If you have the flu ..should you go to Disney..of course not. But you can't not go anywhere for "fear" that you might catch something. As many have stated..you are contagious before you even know your sick..and if you are feeling better and have no fever..what is the problem? Before the big swine flu...people went to school and work sick all the time..did you worry about infecting high risk individuals then ? Do you know how many hacking sweating individuals I have seen in the grocery stores? My point..is this is a good thing in the sense that people are being more aware of their symptoms and staying home with fevers now..the downside is..we are becoming a country of paranoid people who will be so sanitized that their bodies won't know how to fight anything off.

No need to apologize for feeling anything!! Life throws us some reeeaaallllyy hard curves (I, for one, should know this...) and sometimes we just need to get it all out! If you ever need to vent you can PM me. ((Hugs))

This post has obviously been renamed to "don't bring your kids to Disney if they have H1N1." Which I agree with. However, the original post was simply put "sick" which is different. This will be my last post on the H1N1 information board. I think this could be moved to some other part of the forums since it has clearly gone off the deep end.

You people that keep bringing up all the paranoid people living in bubbles...

GOOD GRIEF!

No one has mentioned wanting to stay home because of the sick people. There is nothing wrong with people wanting the contagious sick folks to stay home. I love how everyone turns things around. Where on earth is anyone wanting to cancel their trip because they're scared of sick folks?? We're wanting sick folks to stay home. Seems pretty darn logical to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter