Please do NOT go to Disney World if you (or your children) are sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think everyone here hates us? :banana:

Well, I hate you, but it's mostly because you were going to put your DD in a stroller and tour Epcot in the evening. Horrible and selfish! :rolleyes1

JUST KIDDING!!!! I just met you and I love you (Dug from UP!). ;)

I wouldnt take my kids if they had the flu. But when you are there, like others have said, sometimes "sick" people are not really sick.
This past weekend we went out to eat and my DS2 has asthma. Very often his cough sounds quite nasty. So we are eating and he starts with one of his asthma coughing fits. Since we were closer to the front door than to the bathroom, I took him outside away from the door where he continued to cough and then puke in a bush. He was perfectly fine after. This happens to him. But someone saw it and asked me if I should have him home in bed? Luckily I get some warning and it doesnt happen all that often, but I bet if you saw him do that at disney world, it would seem as though I brought a sick kid into the park!

Well, I hate you, but it's mostly because you were going to put your DD in a stroller and tour Epcot in the evening. Horrible and selfish! :rolleyes1

JUST KIDDING!!!! I just met you and I love you (Dug from UP!). ;)

wall-e is going to be so jealous. i enjoy your posts, too, shannon, and your daughter is a doll. (Jackie from GA!) :thumbsup2

ogreenlee - 1
wall-e1 - 0

I do enjoy threads where everybody throws out a statistic to make their point. I am hopeful my kids don't get exposed, but not in a panic about it. I am more hopeful we don't get hit by a drunk driver as we drive around town. Anyone know how many people were hurt by idiots behind the wheel so far this flu season? I am just saying to keep things in perspective.

Totally agree with this. I worry more about an accident on our way to Florida more than I do dying from flu (of any strain) Tired of people getting labeled callous because they are not alarmists.

I would never knowingly expose anyone. However, this is being spread everywhere - schools, grocery store, church. You cant live in a bubble.

My Dr told me if you get the H1N1 the silver lining is a lifetime immunity. The vaccine is just one year of protection.

I may be naive on this, but isn't the point of the vaccine for you to create the antibodies necessary to fight the illness? If the current H1N1 does not mutate into a different strain, I would think the vaccine would offer future protection for an exact match.

The reason you have to get the seasonal every year is because the seasonal strains change every year, so last year's vaccine won't match this year's virus.

Like I said, though, I'm no expert, just going off the bits and pieces I see.

Totally agree with this. I worry more about an accident on our way to Florida more than I do dying from flu (of any strain) Tired of people getting labeled callous because they are not alarmists.

I would never knowingly expose anyone. However, this is being spread everywhere - schools, grocery store, church. You cant live in a bubble.

No bubbles. I can't do anything about a bad/drunk driver. But if I could keep them off of the road I would, wouldn't you? I'm saying the same thing here. If someone is contagious, keep them off of the theoretical road.

And it is callous when it is someone you know. There are odds of having a child die during surgery. Usually they are considered to be "good." My child died. So, yes, when someone starting spouting dead kid stats, I take offense.

I am far from an alarmist. I just believe it is common courtesy to stay away from others when you are sick. Contagious sick. Not asthma or allergies, etc. Whether it is the flu, a cold, chicken pox, or pink eye.

Tired of people getting labeled alarmists because they are not callous.

eta: Just because there is a higher statistical chance of something occurring, it does not negate the other concerns. that is absurd. If I stick a fork in an outlet, there is a high statistical chance that I might be injured. That doesn't mean I should do something else stupid because there is a lesser chance of injury. Talk about ignorant.

wall-e is going to be so jealous. i enjoy your posts, too, shannon, and your daughter is a doll. (Jackie from GA!) :thumbsup2

ogreenlee - 1
wall-e1 - 0

So, I have beome good friends with maddmike(our racist friend from the other thread. In fact, we are going shoe shopping together this weekend.

Ogreenlee - 1
Wall-e1 - 1/2

And it is callous when it is someone you know. There are odds of having a child die during surgery. Usually they are considered to be "good." My child died. So, yes, when someone starting spouting dead kid stats, I take offense.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I may be naive on this, but isn't the point of the vaccine for you to create the antibodies necessary to fight the illness? If the current H1N1 does not mutate into a different strain, I would think the vaccine would offer future protection for an exact match.

I think they are finding that some vaccines (like the chicken pox) do not give life long immunity (so they tell people to get boosters).
So I think it is very possible that a vaccine won't give lasting immunity.

Well - here I sit and my back hurts had a fever last night --didn't cough too much, they said DD has a sinus infection-but a this point it is trial and error--I think she has asthma/allergies, DS had a fever this morning (5am) and DH was sick with a "cold/fever/hurts/I'm dying" last week. I am happy that I bought trip insurance because at this point I don't know...and beside Halloween this weekend- my kids have their birthday party at a sports center this weekend--I'm just looking ahead to this weekend. About the H1N1 vaccine we don't know when our school will be getting it for all I knwo they may be getting it when we are scheduled to be away- the haven't told us when it will come, and DS is in Pre-K so he can't even get it from the school -and the school will get it before my ped-that's what the CDC of my county said. Can't worry about what they may not have enough of or if we are able to get it.

Half my daughter's class is out. There is no way to contain this. In many cases, people aren't even showing symptoms.

PLEASE, if you are a high risk individual, quarentine yourself. Do not depend on others, who may not even be aware they are shedding virus, who may not yet have symptoms, and may be shedding the virus without symptoms, to look after your health. Do not take high risk individuals into highly public situations.

thanks, I get testy when people act like the one doesn't matter. Not even saying that was the intention here.

I think they are finding that some vaccines (like the chicken pox) do not give life long immunity (so they tell people to get boosters).
So I think it is very possible that a vaccine won't give lasting immunity.

I was just asking. Honestly it doesn't matter to me, since I'm sure this new type of H1N1 will be included in all of the seasonal flu shots going forward, so I'll get it every year anyway.

No bubbles. I can't do anything about a bad/drunk driver. But if I could keep them off of the road I would, wouldn't you? I'm saying the same thing here. If someone is contagious, keep them off of the theoretical road.

I am far from an alarmist. I just believe it is common courtesy to stay away from others when you are sick. Contagious sick. Not asthma or allergies, etc. Whether it is the flu, a cold, chicken pox, or pink eye.

Tired of people getting labeled alarmists because they are not callous.

eta: Just because there is a higher statistical chance of something occurring, it does not negate the other concerns. that is absurd. If I stick a fork in an outlet, there is a high statistical chance that I might be injured. That doesn't mean I should do something else stupid because there is a lesser chance of injury. Talk about ignorant.

I am truly sorry for your loss and cannot possibly imagine what you must be going through on a daily basis. The loss of a child is something I necer,ever want to have to deal with. I am sorry that you took offense to the quoted statistics, but I just don't think there is a better or more sensitive way to address the subect of child mortality. I just don't see how else it could have been put that would be less offensive?? Everything said has the potential to upset or offend someone, and I don't think anyone was being deliberately callous or cruel her. Just stating a fact.

Half my daughter's class is out. There is no way to contain this. In many cases, people aren't even showing symptoms.

PLEASE, if you are a high risk individual, quarentine yourself. Do not depend on others, who may not even be aware they are shedding virus, who may not yet have symptoms, and may be shedding the virus without symptoms, to look after your health. Do not take high risk individuals into highly public situations.

I agree.

I'll stock up on my Spaghetti - O's and Strawberry Frosted Pop Tarts and prepare for the end of civilization.

Seriously, I had Strawberry Frosted Pop Tarts for breakfast and Spaghetti-O's for lunch (with meatballs)..and I'm not kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter