• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Please, Barbara, tell us how you TRULY feel!

ducklite said:
Except services dogs who have every right to be there.

Anne

Right you are, and I TOTALLY agree that they have a perfect right to be there. And.....they dont have to be in a carrier.

Service dogs (along with their handicapped owners) have every right to be onboard. They are highly trained animals who behave better than some adults ;) and are as necessary as medication and ambulatory devices. Service animals are never required to be in carriers in the cabin of any aircraft or inside any public building. I'm talking about bulgy-eyed hamster-like dogs that, while the size of a small handbag, would probably prefer not to be treated as such.

And no... my employer (whose travel reimbursement policies are incredibly generous) doesn't provide reimbursement for pet care, nor would i expect them to.

disneyldwjr said:
Musical instruments are as much a personal item as a laptop or camera.
Don't eveyone just bring your guitars on board on Delta to put them in the overhead bins. Delta's baggage dimension limits don't pass most encased guitars as "carry-ons" let alone as "personal items".

But many kinds of instruments can be strapped into separately purchased seats.

Selling guaranteed overhead bin space could be a big cash cow for airlines. And the rules could be changed to allow guitars, violins, etc. in purchased bin space.

seashoreCM said:
Selling guaranteed overhead bin space could be a big cash cow for airlines. And the rules could be changed to allow guitars, violins, etc. in purchased bin space.
I doubt that any responsible musician would risk damage to their instrument by placing it anywhere where an item can be placed on top and thereby damage the instrument.

I have seen many guitars come on board and if no seat was purchased they go in the closet.

seashoreCM said:
Don't eveyone just bring your guitars on board on Delta to put them in the overhead bins. Delta's baggage dimension limits don't pass most encased guitars as "carry-ons" let alone as "personal items".

I don't believe guitar cases would pass any airlines limits for carry on. If someone purchases an extra seat to carry this sort of thing on board, fair enough. I would just kindly like to request that you please be sure to put the guitars on your extra seat, and not use up my overhead space instead!

Delta policy

US Airways policy

AA has musical instruments under a special policy
Specialty Items
There are exceptions, special rules, and/or packing instructions that apply to some specialty items. Examples of these include duffel bags used by military personnel and certain musical instruments. To determine if your item has special excess charges (or is free in place of a 62 in/157 cm bag within the free baggage allowance), please contact an American Airlines representative at 1-800-433-7300.

I don't really understand what the debate is about pets and musical instruments; each airline has a clearly outlined policy on their website and if anyone has questions, that is where they should look for information.

Just as with other carryon items, YMMV. Sometimes passengers board with bags larger than the posted exceptions; musical instruments are no different. If the cabin crew cannot accomodate the bag or instrument, it gets checked.

Seems pretty clear to me.

bavaria said:
each airline has a clearly outlined policy on their website and if anyone has questions, that is where they should look for information.
There are always some people who feel that written policies are for other people to comply with. :rolleyes:

Regarding the pets onboard issue....I had to have my ds's cat on board with me last year. I was bringing the cat to him after he moved to Florida...ds not the cat had moved!!! Delta knew the cat was there, I paid extra for the cat to be there. I chose seats that had no one near me so that no one would be bothered by the cat if it had issues flying. However, when I checked the seating the day I flew, they had put people all around me. When I got to Logan, I asked the gate attendent if I could change my seat because I had the cat with me. She was a bit put out but when I explained that I didn't want to be near anyone who may be bothered by animal dander or cat crying, she understood and put me in the waaaaay back with no one around me. Yes, I realize that the animal dander does travel through the air vents but I'm sure it was better to not have anyone around me directly.

I have yet to see that those overhead lights are bright enough to bother anyone. For those who choose to travel on the red-eyes, they have to realize that there may be some who are on the same flight that will want to read, hence the light will be on. That's common sense. To expect others to keep their lights off in order for children to sleep is a bit over the top. In fact, I would think that if a child woke up, disoriented, the light being on would actually help calm them, rather than waking up to darkness. Most kids can fall asleep with some light on. Reclining seats??? Well, I have to say I have never reclined mine. I hate the thought of having my head back in someone's lap...so to speak. But then again, I'm not on to many coast to coast flights anymore. And my back is better off is I just have a few pillows scrunched in there for support.
Good manners go a long way in air travel. It's stressful enough without having to deal with those who need the perfect scenario. Airtravel is not perfect. We all need to make allowences for our fellow travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter