Please, Barbara, tell us how you TRULY feel!

If you ask me, it is the frequent fliers who tend to be the most rude and inconsiderate. Maybe they feel that because of the total number of dollars their employers spent with that airline they should have more privileges. If you ask me, if any extra privileges should be given out, the privileges should go first to those who spent the most money on the ticket for that specific flight.

I think I will lay down the rules once and for all. Each passenger has the right to use the following:
1. The recline to the extent intended by the airline,
2. The reading light
3. The TV controls or other entertainment controls provided.
4. All of the remaining space above his seat and extending to an imaginary vertical surface passing through an imaginary line running down the center of the armrest on each side.

When the airline crew does not uphold these rules, the airline is contributing to rudeness.

If you beg to differ, how about bribing someone to exchange seats or otherwise give you what you want?

Why oh why the dirty looks? This is so counterproductive, the other person may decide to verify when the dirty look goes away before moving on to correct the problem.
NotUrsula said:
Oh, and for short women: choose the aisle seat. You can toe your shoes off for a minute and stand on the seat cushion to put your carryon in the overhead. That's how most short people manage, just like we do in the grocery store.
I hope you don't mean standing on a lower shelf. The whole shelf assembly could come tumbling down on you, tin cans and all.

seashoreCM said:
If you ask me, it is the frequent fliers who tend to be the most rude and inconsiderate. Maybe they feel that because of the total number of dollars their employers spent with that airline they should have more privileges.

I'm a frequent flyer who seldom travels for business these days. I pay for my own tickets. Right now I'm planning next years sojourns. All R/T:

MCO to ALB

MCO to PHL

MCO to Portland, OR (I don't know the airport code) via PHL, with possibly an open jaw to SEA

MCO to ORD via PHL

MCO to EWR

That takes me through June.

I try to be very considerate of my fellow travelers, and I expect the same in return.

Anne

seashoreCM said:
If you ask me, it is the frequent fliers who tend to be the most rude and inconsiderate. Maybe they feel that because of the total number of dollars their employers spent with that airline they should have more privileges. If you ask me, if any extra privileges should be given out, the privileges should go first to those who spent the most money on the ticket for that specific flight.

It's the business travelers/frequent-fliers who generally pay the most for their plane tickets for that specific flight! Leisure travelers usually book way ahead or when there's a sale. Business travelers often book at the last minute, and generally don't stay over a Saturday night.

NancyIL said:
It's the business travelers/frequent-fliers who generally pay the most for their plane tickets for that specific flight! Leisure travelers usually book way ahead or when there's a sale. Business travelers often book at the last minute, and generally don't stay over a Saturday night.

That's a great general rule but flights to Orlando also have business travelers/frequent-fliers who are on vacation. Those fliers may be flying on a FF ticket or may have booked their vacation reservations early enough to get a deeply discounted fare.

seashoreCM said:
If you ask me, it is the frequent fliers who tend to be the most rude and inconsiderate.

I take it that was directed towards me, and I can assure you that I have learned how to be courteous on an aircraft.

I would counter with the comment that infrequent fliers are often unaware of how their behaviour impacts others. I can board and stow my bag in seconds, retrieve my blanket and pilllow, and nod off. I pass through security quickly and effiently, not delaying my fellow travellers. I don't block the aisle and bring more than my fair share of carry on luggage.

I follow all of your 'rules' for airline courtesy.

I even advised my seatmate this week that I was getting over the flu as there were many free seats; he thanked me and moved across the aisle, after making sure that I was feeling ok. And yes, I took as much medication as safely possible to ensure that I did not cough excessively.

ok... I fly weekly. Sometimes twice weekly. Always for free. I am always courteous to my fellow passengers no matter how much or little they paid. On the days I work and don't fly, I'm in an airport. I see some of the most inappropriate behavior (not to mention traveling clothes) on a routine basis. It's almost an effort not to shake my head as I pass through the terminal enroute to my daily Starbucks fix. It's even more fascinating than people-watching at MK. I digress.

My pet peeve is pets. Leave sparky and fluffy at home, people. Your pet doesn't want to travel, and no one wants to make intimate contact with your pet in the gate area because you think it's cruel the airline/airport requires you to keep your dog crated while you wait to board. Neither does anyone want to sit near you or your pet onboard. Find a nice kennel or friend to house pochie while you vacation. Using a pet as an accessory is so 2004... (end of rant)

:sunny:

>>> ... who tend to be ...

bavaria said:
I take it that was directed towards me.
Not correct. Except that what inspired me to make the comment was ... here it comes:
bavaria said:
I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I find it interesting that the frequent flyers agree with the original statements made, while those who disagree are most likely the infrequent leisure traveller.
ExPirateShopGirl said:
ok My pet peeve is pets. Leave sparky and fluffy at home, people. Your pet doesn't want to travel, and no one wants to make intimate contact with your pet in the gate area because you think it's cruel the airline/airport requires you to keep your dog crated while you wait to board.
Poll question: Does your employer consider kenneling Fluffy an acceptable re-imbursable travel expense?

seashoreCM said:

Poll question: Does your employer consider kenneling Fluffy an acceptable re-imbursable travel expense?

No, I can honestly say my employer wouldn't re-imburse that expense. If I took the job knowing travel was involved, what to do with Fluffy is my problem, not theirs.

Having said that, I do find it strange that pets are now allowed onboard in a cage. I have two kids allergic to dogs. Sure hope they don't end up with Fluffy by their feet next month...I'm assuming someone would tell us before take-off that there's a fur-ball beside us.

And sorry, can't resist - one more pet peeve - the traveller who takes up more than their fair share of the overhead bins. I know I have checked and re-checked this several times since the last security hoop-la. Air Canada states one carry on, plus one purse. So how come some guy gets on before me with two guitar cases and a backpack, and then proceeds to take up all available room over my seat and about 2 rows behind us? When I mentioned it to the flight attendant, I was politely instructed to place my bag under the seat in front of me. Not a reasonable solution, seeing as how I now have no leg room at all. I was basically told, too bad, so sad, no more room available. I've always preferred to board last - why sit in a tin can longer than necessary? - but now I have this irresistable urge to trample over everyone in my attempt to "get there first" and secure my alloted overhead storage before someone encroaches on my space!

Lizziejane said:
one more pet peeve - the traveller who takes up more than their fair share of the overhead bins. ... states one carry on, plus one purse. So how come some guy gets on before me with two guitar cases and a backpack, and then proceeds to take up all available room over my seat and about 2 rows behind us? When I mentioned it to the flight attendant, I was politely instructed to place my bag under the seat in front of me. Not a reasonable solution, seeing as how I now have no leg room at all. I was basically told, too bad, so sad, no more room available. I've always preferred to board last - why sit in a tin can longer than necessary? - but now I have this irresistable urge to trample over everyone in my attempt to "get there first" and secure my alloted overhead storage before someone encroaches on my space!
Repeat: When the airline crew does not uphold the rules, the airline is contributing to rudeness.

Is it time for a mutiny, several others re-arranging the bins to better share the space and telling the offender to check some of his stuff?

Heard on a radio talk show someone talking about rudeness at shopping malls and the idea of a code of conduct. Many other places including airplanes could use something like that with sanctions taken against offenders (loss of frequent flyer miles or even blacklisting in the case of airlines).

:lmao: :lmao: Some of you kill me. If only you had real problems! Oh and before you say you do then think about those and compare them to what you are talking about here. :)

Lizziejane said:
No, I can honestly say my employer wouldn't re-imburse that expense. If I took the job knowing travel was involved, what to do with Fluffy is my problem, not theirs.

I have a friend whose employer (major corporation) paid her pet sitter expenses when she had to travel. I always found that odd. I'm with you, if I took a job knowing travel was involved, my pet sitter costs are my problem.

Having said that, I do find it strange that pets are now allowed onboard in a cage. I have two kids allergic to dogs. Sure hope they don't end up with Fluffy by their feet next month...I'm assuming someone would tell us before take-off that there's a fur-ball beside us.

Pets have always been allowed onboard. Only cats and dogs (Delta will also take ferrets) and they must have health certificate with proof of rabies vax issued by vet no more than ten days prior to commencement of travel, must fit in carrier that fits under seat and be able to turn around, no more than two pets per cabin section, $50-100 each way extra charge, and must have advance reservation. There are also age restrictions and some other techincal things. The carrier won't generally make an announcement. You need to let them know about the allergies so they can reseat you further away if there are going to be pets onboard.

And sorry, can't resist - one more pet peeve - the traveller who takes up more than their fair share of the overhead bins. I know I have checked and re-checked this several times since the last security hoop-la. Air Canada states one carry on, plus one purse. So how come some guy gets on before me with two guitar cases and a backpack, and then proceeds to take up all available room over my seat and about 2 rows behind us? When I mentioned it to the flight attendant, I was politely instructed to place my bag under the seat in front of me. Not a reasonable solution, seeing as how I now have no leg room at all. I was basically told, too bad, so sad, no more room available. I've always preferred to board last - why sit in a tin can longer than necessary? - but now I have this irresistable urge to trample over everyone in my attempt to "get there first" and secure my alloted overhead storage before someone encroaches on my space!

On the other hand, I had a NASTY TSA agent give me a hard time because I had three carry-on items as I went through security. One was my rather small purse, which I had taken out of my roll-on (a 19" model that fits "wheels in" in every overhead) to get my wallet. He made me put the purse back in the roll-on before I showed him my ID so I could just walk three feet from him and take it back out to put my wallet away. That was a person who A. lacked common sense, and B. shouldn't have been dealing with the public.

Just an FYI, the guy with the two guitars might have also bought two seats, for which he would have had the right to bring on both guitars and another bag. I have several musician friends who do this when they fly.

Anne

seashoreCM said:
Is it time for a mutiny, several others re-arranging the bins to better share the space and telling the offender to check some of his stuff?

Read above post. Musicians often buy two seats to allow them double carry-on's so they don't have to check irreplaceable guitars. It's a lot less expensive to buy a second seat and show up for your gig in Milwaukee with your instruments, than check the instruments and have the airline lose or damage them, and miss a gig.

If you go b*tching to the carrier, you better have your facts straight. The carriers would much rather have the musician carry on the guitars (or trumpets, violins, cellos, etc.) than check them due to the extra care they have to give in handling them.

Anne

seashoreCM said:
>>>

Having traveled to CME meetings since I started my medical practice in 1991, the answer to this is "No". Nor is any additional expense relating to child care, even though after care at home at my son's school is $42/wk, and babysitting in the hotel room is $15/hr to attend a dinner associated with a conference. This is why I bring my husband along. Actually, my hospital is very particular in this respect. They will downgrade the room rate to the lowest cost theoretically available for the conference, even if it wasn't available at the time I made my reservation. One of my coworlers had a major meltdown over the fact the hospital wouldn't reimburse her and her husband (both doctors) who submitted the costs associated with a second room so the grandmother could babysit the kid during the conference, which both attended. If she had asked me, I could have told her that they wouldn't have paid for an extra room if they wouldn't even pay for a room with two beds in it to accomodate my husband and son.

seashoreCM said:

Not correct. Except that what inspired me to make the comment was ... here it comes:

If you go back and read this thread, CarolA, Ducklite, Expirateshopgirl, and a few other frequent flyers agreed with most of what was said in the article. That doesn't make us rude, just more experienced. I simply commented that the frequent flyers seem to agree, and made no judgement on their behaviour or the behaviour of the leisure traveller.

I'm pointing out that your comment about frequent flyers was insulting to some of the very regular posters here who try to be helpful, and was a very broad generalization.

Re your kennel question - I agree that the employer shouldn't pay kennel costs just as they don't pay childcare costs for employees who are required to travel, but some people do negotiate such benefits. One of my predecessors also travelled weekly with a dog (which I think is unfair to the dog and fellow passengers)

I did not generalize or make the assumption that leisure travellers are polite and frequent flyers are rude, or vice versa.

seashoreCM said:
Repeat: When the airline crew does not uphold the rules, the airline is contributing to rudeness.

FAs DO often tell people to check their carryons; they do however try and minimize confrontation before a flight takes off, so they won't always get involved in every dispute. If it's an obviously violation, then yes, I have seen them take action. On full flights they often make repeated announcements and stop people as they board with too many/too large carryons.

I have a colleague to 'reports' to the FA when a passenger loads their items in a bin above row 2 and sits back in row 20, leaving the passengers who board later with no space.

ducklite said:
Musicians often buy two seats to allow them double carry-on's
\But wouldn't the instruments be strapped into the second seat?

And the musician described might need 3 seats because of 3 items that, although they may have fit the definition of carry-on, probably did not fit the definition of personal item.

seashoreCM said:
\But wouldn't the instruments be strapped into the second seat?

And the musician described might need 3 seats because of 3 items that, although they may have fit the definition of carry-on, probably did not fit the definition of personal item.

Musical instruments are as much a personal item as a laptop or camera.

"Having said that, I do find it strange that pets are now allowed onboard in a cage. I have two kids allergic to dogs. Sure hope they don't end up with Fluffy by their feet next month...I'm assuming someone would tell us before take-off that there's a fur-ball beside us."

They have always been allowed on board, and they are not in a cage, they are in a carrier specifically designed for air travel.
They do not announce pets on board,but, I am sure you would notice the animals in the boarding area.
I am very allergic to perfume, but, no one announces that either. LOL
One way to assure you won't be seated anywhere near someone's beloved pet (not fur ball) is to fly SWA, they don't fly animals, except for the human species.

disneyldwjr said:
One way to assure you won't be seated anywhere near someone's beloved pet (not fur ball) is to fly SWA, they don't fly animals, except for the human species.

Except services dogs who have every right to be there.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter