• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo Sharing: Mirrorless

Mike S., if I was a professional I would probably go FF. For what I shoot I'm satisfied with APS-C. It seems like every year sensors and cameras are improving. I would be excited to see a Nex FF. I want to pick up a DSLR body for the in body stabilization to use on Tele zooms. My problem is that I'm spoiled by the size and weight of the Nex 7. I don't even use my BR strap much anymore. Now I walk around with my Nex on a wrist strap. I like that I can stick the camera in my wife's purse if I need too. The one thing that I love about the D700/3s is the ability to shoot at 6400-12800 with no problems.

Mike R., cool shots! Is that a SRT in the background? I have the Rokkor 45/2 and 50/1.4 PG and love them both. I find the Minolta 45 an awesome lens. It's small and my copy is really sharp at f2.

Did I read that you can use current 4/3rd lens on the Oly Micro cameras with an adapter?

I really like all I have read about the new Olympic and if I could use a few of the lens I currently have (12-60, 70-300, 35mm macro) it would be a bonus.

Did I read that you can use current 4/3rd lens on the Oly Micro cameras with an adapter?

I really like all I have read about the new Olympic and if I could use a few of the lens I currently have (12-60, 70-300, 35mm macro) it would be a bonus.
Not only can you, they will all auto focus on your Olympus mirrorless with an Olympus adapter since they were designed for digital. (And I don't need to tell you that Olympus glass is among the finest out there.) I have bought the adapter but I haven't actually used it yet as, for what I've shot thus far, the kits have been great. One of these days I'll try it out, though. I'm curious to see what the PEN looks like with the 70-200 on it. (I'll post it when I do.)

Cataloging the newest mirrorless here, link to dpreview in first post: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2939255&referrerid=70088

Not only can you, they will all auto focus on your Olympus mirrorless with an Olympus adapter since they were designed for digital. (And I don't need to tell you that Olympus glass is among the finest out there.) I have bought the adapter but I haven't actually used it yet as, for what I've shot thus far, the kits have been great. One of these days I'll try it out, though. I'm curious to see what the PEN looks like with the 70-200 on it. (I'll post it when I do.)

Cataloging the newest mirrorless here, link to dpreview in first post: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2939255&referrerid=70088

That is great news. I've read several reviews and they are all very positive.

Now to come up with the cash, will probably be a few months but maybe by then the price will start to drop. We can dream :)

That is great news. I've read several reviews and they are all very positive.

Now to come up with the cash, will probably be a few months but maybe by then the price will start to drop. We can dream :)

From everything I've seen they are still back ordered, especially the silver body. Many people have waited a few months after ordering for the camera to be delivered.

Mike R., cool shots! Is that a SRT in the background? I have the Rokkor 45/2 and 50/1.4 PG and love them both. I find the Minolta 45 an awesome lens. It's small and my copy is really sharp at f2.

It is an SRT in the background. It came with the lens i wanted. I got the SRT, 45 f2 and a 135 f3.5 for 36.00 shipped could not pass it up.
You right the 45mm f2 is a great little lens and really sharp. Sharper than my 50mm 1.7 for sure. I would have never thought of manual focus lens before the Nex it really makes it easy .

All you guys with the NEX cameras are really making me second guess my decision to get the A55 back in Feb lol. Pictures all look crystal clear sharp and perfect coloring.

Harry, I do like this one better also but wish I got the front part of the balloon cluster as sharp as the back part. New Orleans looks like such an amazingly photogenic place, one day ill make it out there.

I picked up the A55V towards the end of 2011 and love it so far. I am still learning the in's and out's figuring best setting for certain situations. A55v shoots great pics in auto and program modes too.

Have only shot in JPEG thus far, and do some minor tweeks on occassion w/ some simple post processing applications, IE what came with the A55. Great results so far. Have not shot RAW. Take too many pics, expecially on vacations, and just don't have time to sit and review/post process every pic. Maybe someday.

Put all the pics shared so far are great. Makes me glad I went mirrorless. Next step from the A55 for me may be a FF. The A99 rumors have me very intrigued. Wish I could find some facts and real new around release dates etc so I can start saving. :thumbsup2

I picked up the A55V towards the end of 2011 and love it so far. I am still learning the in's and out's figuring best setting for certain situations. A55v shoots great pics in auto and program modes too.

Have only shot in JPEG thus far, and do some minor tweeks on occassion w/ some simple post processing applications, IE what came with the A55. Great results so far. Have not shot RAW. Take too many pics, expecially on vacations, and just don't have time to sit and review/post process every pic. Maybe someday.

Put all the pics shared so far are great. Makes me glad I went mirrorless. Next step from the A55 for me may be a FF. The A99 rumors have me very intrigued. Wish I could find some facts and real new around release dates etc so I can start saving. :thumbsup2

I am rather happy with my A55 also but know that I do want something "bigger-better" lol. Im very intrigued with the rumors im hearing about the A99 as well. Im hearing it may be announce last summer time and not sure when it will actually ship. Im still a ways off before getting anything new and im ok with since what I have is a great camera. Also spending $2,000-$3,000 on the rumored A99 camera would cut into our Disney trip budget and I cant let that happen since we enjoy going multiple times through out the year. :banana:

You should look into Lightroom, its a great program and can do about 90% of the processing you can do with Photoshop but a lot faster and simpler. Its also a great organizational program. Its perfect for the little tweak or even some drastic ones also.

You may want to start shooting in RAW, although you only do minor tweak you may want to go back and change some things once you get the hang of it but more importantly the RAW files has more info in it and therefore gives you more control in the editing stage.

I'm with Mike, I shoot RAW. I shoot RAW for 2 main reasons:
1. White Balance Control
2. Highlight and Shadow recovery
Usually when I shoot, I don't have time to fine tube my WB. I leave it on auto WB 90% of the time. RAW gives you so much more control of your file's Post Processing.

I'm with Mike, I shoot RAW. I shoot RAW for 2 main reasons:
1. White Balance Control
2. Highlight and Shadow recovery
Usually when I shoot, I don't have time to fine tube my WB. I leave it on auto WB 90% of the time. RAW gives you so much more control of your file's Post Processing.

Yeah, I have been thinking of shooting RAW for sometime. But I am really a plug and go guy right now. Want to share and view once a vacation is done. The A55 comes with a program for RAW so that helps.

Just not a ton of time to review and process each pic. From what I read, can take quite sometime to edit a RAW file. But I suppose that all depends on what you what to do w/ it too.

Guess I'll give it a try after my upcoming vacation. Off to VA. tomorrow! A55's going to get a serious workout for sure. :thumbsup2

A quick edit in RAW can be done in seconds. It depends how much depth you want to go into. My shot above of my DD and myself took a minute or two. I had to underexposed this shot when taken because of the bright sun so I would have a completely white shot(my arm is still blown out). In LE3 I had to ad tons of fill light to even out the shadows. I wouldn't have been able to do this in Jpeg.

Yeah, I have been thinking of shooting RAW for sometime. But I am really a plug and go guy right now. Want to share and view once a vacation is done. The A55 comes with a program for RAW so that helps.

Just not a ton of time to review and process each pic. From what I read, can take quite sometime to edit a RAW file. But I suppose that all depends on what you what to do w/ it too.

Guess I'll give it a try after my upcoming vacation. Off to VA. tomorrow! A55's going to get a serious workout for sure. :thumbsup2

It takes me longer to upload all my pictures than it does to edit just the one. It really doest take long at all unless you start getting into some heavy Photoshop editing. Heres an example of my typical workflow after dumping the pictures off the memory card and onto my laptop.

Import them all from picture folders on my computer into Lightroom - Takes 1 min or less and thats with 300-500 pics in that folder.

With Lightroom it allows you to see the RAW image in the program so you can actually see what the pic is before it converts it.

Select the pic I want to edit and then from there I just adjust what I think needs adjusting by sliding the bar over, real easy. Exposure, WB, sharpen, noise and lots of other adjustmenst can be made easily.

A lot of times I take the pic and edit it in Nik Color Efex which I can do from Lightroom, add what ever effects then sends it right back into Lightroom with the changes but also keeps a copy of the original.

Once back I finish with any other adjustments and export it back to my picture folder in my laptop. Now is the correct way, dont know, but it works for me so you may find a way that you prefer better.

I also use Photoshop here and there but like you am pressed for time and don't use it that much.

well, the A55 comes with something similar to Lightroom I think. Works fairly well with what I have done w/ editing JPEGS. Has what I need for RAW too. Plus, A55 can take RAW and JPEG st the same time. Maybe I'll give RAW a try on my trip next week..

One little caveat I'll throw out there - RAW is awesome for how much latitude it provides to process the photo - much more range of adjustment can be made than when processing a JPEG - however, decide for yourself whether JPG does what you want or need, or if RAW would work better for you, or even use both. You'll get a ton of pressure from all enthusiast photogs to move to RAW, but you don't HAVE to - it's up to you!

Believe it or not, I've been shooting since 1977, moved to digital in 1997, and shoot semi-pro in that my photography does generate some income on the side from publications/sales/event shooting...and I shoot mostly JPG very much by choice. It's just what fits me, it's my style, and it's my preference. I actually do shoot RAW sometimes, mainly when I'm shooting a live event where I have no chance to replicate a shot - if I get anything wrong, I need maximum latitude to reover it. But for most of my pleasure shooting, and those that I end up selling or publishing, I shoot JPG.

I don't say this to make JPG sound as 'good' as RAW...it's not. Simple fact is, it actually takes MORE work and MORE skill to really get good results out of a JPG, because you must get it right when you shoot it...there's far less room to correct anything after the fact. There are many advantages to RAW - but some folks find advantages in JPG too. While many point out how 'easy' it is to quickly set up a batch processing for RAW, for my particular style it's still a much more lengthy process overall and more space-intensive. For example, after I shoot 600 bird photos on a weekend, I head home, throw the memory card in my slot, and have ALL shot downloaded in about 2 minutes. 600 RAWs even on the fastest computer will be taking a lot longer than that. Once I've loaded them, that's it - ready to view! Done! I love that, mostly because I don't really enjoy spending much time in front of a computer...if I can shave 10 minutes off of my computer screen time, I'll do it. But it does take work for me to make sure I nail my exposure, nail my framing, hit the focus perfectly, account for white balance, beware of highlights and shadows, etc. when shooting. If I flub a shot, it's a throwaway in JPEG - with RAW, it's actually sometimes recoverable. I accept that when I choose to shoot JPG.

So the main point is - shoot in the mode that makes you enjoy your photography the most - if that means JPGs and little or no processing, or if it means RAW and having maximum control and latitude, neither is wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter