Pen or Sharpie for Autographs

Pmctn

Mouseketeer
Made the kids a Disney Jr Animated Encyclopedia for Autographs. What is preferred for signing. A pen or sharpie marker?

Just don't get green, some of the handler CM's here have reported that green cannot be used b/c it is very difficult to get out of the costumes if the charecter marks on themselves. I havn't seen report of that in the past year or so though. We have taken plenty of colors over the yeras and only turned down with green (by the Mad Hatter, he had his own red sharpie though).

when we went in march, we were told (by a CM in one of the shops) sharpies were not allowed and the characters would not use them to sign so we had to buy a pen. sharpies are not sold on any disney property as well for fear of vandalism. though, i couldnt see cinderella turning down an autograph to a kid because of writing utensil.

I always get the big fat sized Sharpies. It makes it easy for the characters to grip.

when we went in march, we were told (by a CM in one of the shops) sharpies were not allowed and the characters would not use them to sign so we had to buy a pen. sharpies are not sold on any disney property as well for fear of vandalism. though, i couldnt see cinderella turning down an autograph to a kid because of writing utensil.

That's interesting. We went in January and had several different colored sharpies and we were never turned down. Maybe you were given some bad information from a CM... or the rules have changed.

I think this is one of those CM stories since aren't there buckets of them at the Kidcot stations that are sponsored by Sharpie.

epcot-kidcot-sign.jpg
]

Also this (scroll down)

http://www.sharpie.com/enCA/Pages/News.aspx

Also to a T I have always heard that characters prefer the clickie sharpies over all other pens. (except for the mentioned green ones)

They may just not sell them because I have never seen any writing implement for sale that wasn't a "Disney" pen.

when we went in march, we were told (by a CM in one of the shops) sharpies were not allowed and the characters would not use them to sign so we had to buy a pen.

Not true. People use sharpies for autographs all the time. Sometimes they won't use green ones, though - green is the only color of sharpie that is impossible to remove from clothing.

sharpies are not sold on any disney property as well for fear of vandalism.

Again, not true. Sharpie sponsors the kidcot stations in Epcot and there are tons of sharpies on each table for the taking. They wouldn't do that if they were worried about vandalism.

Again, not true. Sharpie sponsors the kidcot stations in Epcot and there are tons of sharpies on each table for the taking. They wouldn't do that if they were worried about vandalism.

I'm thinking this is where a CM is trying to fill in the blanks.

1. Everyone out in cyberspace is told that Sharpies make the best autograph pens.
  2. Guests don't buy them at home.
  3. They then go to a gift shop and ask for Sharpies.
  4. CM tells them they don't sell them but gets this request on a daily basis. :confused3
  5. CM fills in the holes and thinks we don't sell this popular item because Disney is worried about taggers, not that if it doesn't have a Disney name on it we can't sell it for 3 times the going price. ;)

bwang123 I'm not at all doubting that a CM told you this. This CM may not work in Epcot and even when they visit never go near the Kidcot stations so they don't know that Sharpie is the Official marker of WDW. Like I posted they just know they don't sell them came up with a reason that I know some stores or even amusement parks use not to sell them.

Sharpie, BUT we dont use the click style. My kids all got mini sharpies ( they have a metal loop on the lid) I attached a metal loop to a Disney Lanyard ( from the $ Store) The lids never got lost - and the pens never got burried in our bags, because they were wearing them.

The characters never had a problem holding the mini sharpies, because they are still quite long if you take the lid off and put the lid on the other end.

The lids dont get lost because they are attached to a lanyard.

They would alternate whose sharpie they used, so the books ended up with a colorful mix of signatures instead of all one color, it looked neat.

Michaels sells the mini sharpies... don't forget your coupon!

We got A LOT of thank yous from the characters and their CM friends with them for using big (fat) writing pens. They are very easy for those with bigger hands to handle.

At the Dollar Store I found these HUGE, thick disney pens that were perfect for autographs! They had Cars, Princesses adn I think Toy Story. They are literally about a foot long and about 2 inches in diameter. Very easy for the characters to hold and not easy for the children to lose!:flower3:

What if you are not using an autograph book, but instead are wanting to use ball caps, t-shirts or pillow cases? From what folks have said here, it seems that the color (except green) would wash out. What would be the best alternative?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter