• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pay it Forward and be a Disney spirit - Let's bring joy to Disney

I really liked the sharing the still very good balloon story at the beginning of this thread. It's cheerful and not food...and you would have thrown it out anyway.

I also love the extra poncho idea! Anyone would be grateful for that when caught without one.

I'd be very happy if I was standing in line for a drink and the person in front of me treated me to my purchase.

Love the flowers story too.

Yup. Really good ideas to execute upon. I am going in Jan and will make sure to try as many as I can.

People do have strange reactions to being given something for free.

I'm the leader for my daughter's Girl Scout troop and after Sandy Hook the girls decided to participate in 26 Acts as a troop. We choose to make some of our acts giving away free boxes of cookies during our booth sales that year. The girls (in uniform) would approach people entering the store to hand them a certificate for a box of cookies when they exited. Getting people to take the certificate and understand there were no strings attached was pretty funny.

as for ideas on this list -- I really like the balloon one. I'd be reluctant to buy one for my kids, because we would have to leave it behind, but handing if off to a new family (or asking the reception desk to do so) is great.

Yeah, I am a little cautious about doing too much now. The year that was "Give a day, get a day" (2010?) we had the "super fast pass" thing that let you get 3 bonus fast passes for up to 6 people. We were a party of 2, so we tried to find a family that would want to get the other 4; we explained they'd just have to go to the ticket window with us to get it. We had 2 or 3 families look at us like we were crazy or trying to kidnap them or something. In the end, we gave up and just used it for 2.

After that, I'm going to stick with just being polite - no more trying to give anything away and then feeling like I'm a creep.

I go out of my way to make people's days in my everyday life, and that's not going to change just because I'm in disney. If you legitimately have a problem with people doing nice things for you, then it's time to examine why. What made you distrustful of a balloon, say, or a fastpass? In a previous discussion about of all things, breastfeeding, I got told "It's okay to have a problem. But it's just that... your problem."

All the distrust and suspicion about people doing nice things makes me sad. It is too bad that this is the cultural atmosphere we all exist within.

I sincerely hope that people will see this a reason to do MORE for others and show MORE kindness rather than avoid it.

Our last trip to WDW was 3 years ago when my youngest was 4. She has very few memories of the trip. What she does remember? The "older" (maybe 8 or 9) girl who GAVE her a pin rather than trading, and when we shared our glow sticks with the kids around us before the fireworks.

She and my son have specifically asked if we can bring extra glow sticks on this trip, and they each plan to gift a few pins.

We all know the saying "it is better to give than to receive." There are words to live by.

Giving brings joy. And YES it brings joy to the giver. That doesn't make the giver selfish. It generally ALSO brings joy to the receiver. Sometimes it also brings joy to others who hear a story or witness the giving. It is the intention of kindness behind the gift that brings the true and lasting joy. The smile that stays with you long after the glow sticks fade.

Love this thread. We used to give our fastpasses away if we weren't going to use them. That really made people happy. One thing we always do, I've modeled it with my children, now they do it, is giving up a seat to someone who needs it more.

And... not rolling your eyes at crying children is a huge gift to give a frazzled parent.

We used to give away fastpasses we weren't going to use also. It was so fun to see people get excited. Also giving up our seats to others became a competition to see who could do it the most throughout the day.

I go out of my way to make people's days in my everyday life, and that's not going to change just because I'm in disney. If you legitimately have a problem with people doing nice things for you, then it's time to examine why. What made you distrustful of a balloon, say, or a fastpass? In a previous discussion about of all things, breastfeeding, I got told "It's okay to have a problem. But it's just that... your problem."

I really don't think the two sides will ever see eye to eye on this. One side just wants to do, what they think, are nice things for people. I truly believe they have the best of intentions. They just need to realize that the other side doesn't really want any part of that. (hence the weird looks, etc..) Again, I'm talking about the planned deliberate interactions with other park guests, like handing things out to them being the biggest example. Both sides are equally nice people, just have a difference in how they want to interact, and be interacted with, other guests.

I think what people need to understand is that there are a lot of people who just don't want to get approached by random park guests while at Disney, inserting themselves into their family's vacation, trying to give out things or whatever. I don't have a problem with people doing nice things for me. Now that would be weird! Like I said before though, let it happen naturally. All you need to do is be nice to others, and if there is an opportunity to do a kind thing for another guest, then by all means do it!

I'm curious, why do you people think that guests are looking for someone to give them things? To me it's just weird.

Dan

Last edited:

I actually don't think it is someone's "problem" if they don't want unsolicited uninvited things offered to them or to their kids. You said you go out of your way to make people's days....what makes one person's day doesn't necessarily make another person's day. I don't think it is fair to assume that you know what someone else wants. For me, what makes my day is not to be bothered by complete strangers while on my vacation. I'm not trying to start an argument on this thread, but rather, provide another viewpoint because you state that what you are trying to do is make others feel good. If you are truly trying to make the other people feel good, aren't their feelings important as well? You have basically just said that all people distrustful of being giving things have a problem and that their feelings are not valid. Who is the giving for then?

I'm curious, why do you people think that guests are looking for someone to give them things? To me it's just weird.

Dan

I don't think people are looking for us to give them things.

But when my kids each had a dozen glow bracelets and offered to share them with the kids around them who didn't, they made a handful of people smile. Now they want to bring extra so that when they find themselves in that situation again they have plenty.

And my daughter's most cherished Disney pin is a chipped, ragged edged scrapper. Because a sweet, kind girl gave it to her. And now my child wants to pass that kindness onto someone else. Just GIVE someone the pin they are admiring off their lanyard.

These are acts of genuine kindness. Nobody thinks people are "Looking for someone to give them things." But When I overhear someone saying to their husband, "Oh! What a good idea, we should bring glow sticks next time!" I'm going to hand them the tube I have in my bag. And when your kid comes up to mine and wants to make a pin trade, my kid may just offer to give it to him outright.

These are acts of genuine kindness.
I agree that what you describe are genuine acts of kindness. I think where discussions such as this run off the rails is when people blur the distinction between spontaneous acts of generosity and kindness with premeditated acts that begin to feel a lot less selfless. The girl who gave your son the tattered pin probably didn't pack it in her suitcase with the intention of giving it away. It seems like a spontaneous thoughtful gesture. To many people, the moment one starts to plan out their spontaneous acts in advance, the whole notion becomes antithetical to the overall goal. And to others, it doesn't make a bit of difference. But neither group is going to successfully win over the other.

I actually don't think it is someone's "problem" if they don't want unsolicited uninvited things offered to them or to their kids. You said you go out of your way to make people's days....what makes one person's day doesn't necessarily make another person's day. I don't think it is fair to assume that you know what someone else wants. For me, what makes my day is not to be bothered by complete strangers while on my vacation. I'm not trying to start an argument on this thread, but rather, provide another viewpoint because you state that what you are trying to do is make others feel good. If you are truly trying to make the other people feel good, aren't their feelings important as well? You have basically just said that all people distrustful of being giving things have a problem and that their feelings are not valid. Who is the giving for then?

It might not make your day. You might feel weird about it. I do think that unfounded suspicion is one of the main things that is wrong with our society, but that is an entirely different discussion. So YOU might not like it, but someone else might have needed that, and because you acted like someone who can't be bothered, that person might not get what they need. I'm not christian. People wish me merry Christmas all the time. What's the proper answer to that? Thank you. Or 'you too.' It isn't "I don't believe in that, and you shouldn't just willy-nilly offer people good tidings! It might irritate them.'

It might not make your day. You might feel weird about it. I do think that unfounded suspicion is one of the main things that is wrong with our society, but that is an entirely different discussion. So YOU might not like it, but someone else might have needed that, and because you acted like someone who can't be bothered, that person might not get what they need. I'm not christian. People wish me merry Christmas all the time. What's the proper answer to that? Thank you. Or 'you too.' It isn't "I don't believe in that, and you shouldn't just willy-nilly offer people good tidings! It might irritate them.'

Im sorry if I'm not accustomed to that kind of act of kindness/generosity wherein the recipient becomes responsible for giving something to the giver by way of having a specific sought-after reaction. I don't get into such complicated emotional exchanges with family members. I certainly wouldn't try to participate in said exchange with a complete stranger...in 5 minutes...on a vacation. Now, if someone wants to give up their seat to be nice or smile or just be polite or pick up their garbage at Disney -- I think that can be universally understood and appreciated and not have to be so complicated an exchange. I do have to wonder if those so willing and happy to accept tangible gifts from strangers at Disney World would accept a random "pixie dusting" of a physical gift at, say, the airport on the way to their flight? If it is okay at Disney with millions of people from all over is it okay at the airport too? Just thoughts to ponder.

There is a diversity of thought in quantifying generosity. This may be a symptom of our society today. Rather than judge someone else's intention, I would like to make sure whatever good deed I was doing would be something I would also enjoy receiving. There is no guarantee someone else would have the same reaction. However, as a person, you can control your actions and not others. If your good deed is not appreciated, it should not be a deterrent for you to do the deed in the future.
I do have faith in people and when I see an act of kindness, I smile and do not try to dissect any hidden meaning in that action. Maybe it is naive, but it makes me happy and my happiness is in my control.

I love this idea!! Are you talking about a helium balloon we see on Main Street in MK in enormous bunches? Is it a problem getting the balloon on the bus?

Hi, sorry it took me a few days to get back here. Yep, that's it exactly! They have a few different ones, I like the clear helium balloons with the colored blown up Mickey head inside. That's like the kind I got back in DL when I was like 7 or 8, lol, my favorite ones! So, yep, bought one on Main Street near the end of the night so we didn't have carry it around all day. Then just carried it on the bus, not really any problem at all. Though I made sure to hold it tight so it wouldn't keep floating up in anyone's face, lol! I think they were about $15 - $17 maybe. A little expensive, maybe, but brings lots of joy!

I saw a number of comments liking this idea. I get the balloon for us to enjoy while we are in our resort. But, it was just as much fun to pass along the fun and joy of a balloon to another family! I'm glad others here like it and might now even get a balloon for the family to enjoy, and then pass it on, too! party:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter