• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pay it Forward and be a Disney spirit - Let's bring joy to Disney

Sorry, but it is just too situational dependent. In the example you gave, there was apparently an economic issue which the gentleman was trying to assuage. But in handing out the free popcorn, perhaps the gentleman was undoing a teachable moment in the importance of budgeting. Maybe the parent of the two sons gave each son an allowance for snacks for the day, and one of the boys had used his up already and the other boy was going to use his for the popcorn. When both boys got free popcorn, the boy who had already used up his allowance received something that his father was trying to teach him he could not have. When we buy popcorn for our small family of three, we buy one box and split it. I don't want my daughter eating an entire box by herself. So if you are in line in front of me and hand me, my wife and my daughter each a box of popcorn, we will have to politely decline and if there is no one else in line at the time, you will be stuck with three extra boxes of popcorn. I'm not saying that it is always a mistake or will always turn out badly. But there is just no way to know. The better approach would be to simply tell the vendor to use up your credits, and during his shift, he should tell three customers that the popcorn "is on Walt". That way, people get free popcorn, but no one gets anything more or less than what they want. So in the example you gave, the father who only had enough money for one box of popcorn would get his one box for free. Then, the father could decide on his own whether he wanted to supplement that with another paid-for box. In the example of my family, if the vendor told me that my one shared box was free, it would not cause me to order a second box, because the portion we already received was fine. Others might do it differently. In the end, it is better for the food vendor to hand out free food than guests.
aww, I understand your valid points. However, "paying it forward" shouldn't have to be so difficult. If I thought that deep into things, I'd probably always miss my opportunity to do my good deed. You are right about food being a tricky one!

However, "paying it forward" shouldn't have to be so difficult.
Exactly. The easiest thing to do is to say to the vendor: "Use up the rest of my snack credits and surprise a few guests with some pixie dust during the day!" But you see...many people want to be the one to actually do the "handing out" because their generosity is actually more about them than it is the act itself.

So, I go to WDW with my DD25, 2 adults, but I like to get a balloon for the room sometimes! Makes it seem a little more festive, and it's nostalgic as it reminds me of when I was little and went to DL and we got balloons! Anyway, last time we got a balloon, I didn't wanna just throw it away, it looked as fresh as the day I got, it had lots of joy to share still! So, on our way out, we stopped in the lobby of our resort, and I looked around for a family checking in. I saw a family with a little boy, and I was able to ask the parents if it was okay. They were surprised but happily said yes and I gave the balloon to the little boy. He was so excited! And, I was really happy that we got to pass on the fun of having a balloon in the room, that felt really nice to share something so simple and see the little boy so happy! I plan to get a balloon next trip and pass it on again!

I love this idea!! Are you talking about a helium balloon we see on Main Street in MK in enormous bunches? Is it a problem getting the balloon on the bus?

Exactly. The easiest thing to do is to say to the vendor: "Use up the rest of my snack credits and surprise a few guests with some pixie dust during the day!" But you see...many people want to be the one to actually do the "handing out" because their generosity is actually more about them than it is the act itself.
Hmmm, you gotta good point. I tend to do the anonymous moves (paying for the car behind me in drive thru, purposely abandoning fun stuff for others to find, etc) because I'm shy, so that thought didn't dawn on me. People do like their glory!

We always fly to Florida, we have Garden Grocer deliver groceries to our resort to include a case or two of water bottles. As we are packing up we will place the left over water bottles and any unopened snacks right outside of our hotel room door. We put a note on it saying "FREE....Leaving in the morning, can't take it on the plane!" It is always gone within an hour or two.

We had ordered some drinks and snacks for the room, we had loads of drinks left over so on the last night we gave them a way to an older couple. When we first asked they thought we were joking but we would rather they were used than wasted!

I don't know if this is considered 'paying it forward,' but my last trip there was a kid about 2-3 I'd guess in a wagon holding her Mickey doll. It fell out of her hands and out of the wagon onto the ground and the parents didn't realize it since they were pulling her and the kid was too young to talk or say 'hey my mickey fell!' so I grabbed it and caught up to the wagon and gave it to her unbeknownst to the parents. The kid's eyes lit up and I can see the sadness in her face when she dropped it.

She would have been heartbroken im sure to never see that again

My kindness is a wee bit different. If i see you puffing away on a cigarette (in a designated area of course) I am going to say a little prayer that it tastes like dog doodoo to you and you stub it out---thereby lengthening your life---thereby making more trips to WDW possible---thereby bringing more happiness and joy to yourself and many others.

My dd won admission to the 24 hour event. One of the giveaways was a cardboard Olaf. A girl came to me and asked where I got it from. She was so excited when I said she could have it. We saw her again later and she was still smiling at it. Great feeling to make someone so happy.

I promise to start giving away my Fastpasses when it doesn't look like I'll make my return window.

Oh, wait...

:rolleyes1
Grin.... I see the conundrum with the "electronic" FP. I wonder if there is a way to cpnvert it to the paper FP and give those away for those that you know u will not be able to make?

We also buy snacks with unused snack credits and hand them out. We offer them to adults only, so no problems with the things in the PPs posts on the subject. We stop often to help guests who appear in need of assistance (directions, generally). My wife takes pictures of families for them. Mostly, we just smile a lot. Too few people at WDW smile, and smiles are contagious.

Great thread! When at Disney I always feel happier and can't wait to share with others. It doesn't have to be monetary, but not getting mad at the people that commit the Disney veteran no-nos. We were all first timers once and made a mistake or two. Don't let those that don't know yet ruin your vacation.

I really don't mean to sound negative, and I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but it's not our job as guests to create magic for other guests. Leave that for the CM's who are trained for it.

Simply being happy, nice, and courteous to others in the parks (and your own family/party :D) is the best choice IMO. Offer to help a family take a photo so they are all in it at once, don't get bent out of shape regarding your place in line, offer your seat to someone in need on the buses, don't shoot annoyed glances at others, watch where you are going and don't cut others off, etc...

Dan

Last edited:
I really don't mean to sound negative, and I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but it's not our job as guests to create magic for other guests. Leave that for the CM's who are trained for it.

Simply being happy, nice, and courteous to others in the parks (and your own family/party :D) is the best choice IMO. Offer to help a family take a photo so they are all in it at once, don't get bent out of shape regarding your place in line, offer your seat to someone in need on the buses, don't shoot annoyed glances at others, watch where you are going and don't cut others off, etc...

Dan
Dan,
My purpose was not to create magic for others from a "Disney" perspective, but rather create a scenario in which a "lot" of people, through random good deeds, could create a positive memory for others. I know this board and discussion is limited to Disney, but the concept of Paying it Forward has to start somewhere :).

Hope that helps. I think the CM's do their part and are paid for it. People like us, who go there to have fun can carry out these acts, one a time. I guarantee you just like a bad experience sours your taste about humankind, an act of generosity sticks out too.

As for our own family, I am known to say "Dang it.... It is Christmas and you ARE going to smile and have fun"......

I bring extra surprises for my kids and for my kids to share. We pass out glow sticks, earlier this year we broke them out while waiting in line to check in to the dessert party and shared some magic. This upcoming trip I have also packed 2 dozen plastic princess wands (left over from our birthday party). We will probably share them while waiting in lines. I also have several gift bags full of princess or pirate things that I will pack along if we have room, and share them with any kids my kids make friends with at the resorts.

We're going to go to the Dollar Store right before our trip and stock up on glow sticks to give out to kids every day! Super excited.

Sorry, but it is just too situational dependent. In the example you gave, there was apparently an economic issue which the gentleman was trying to assuage. But in handing out the free popcorn, perhaps the gentleman was undoing a teachable moment in the importance of budgeting. Maybe the parent of the two sons gave each son an allowance for snacks for the day, and one of the boys had used his up already and the other boy was going to use his for the popcorn. When both boys got free popcorn, the boy who had already used up his allowance received something that his father was trying to teach him he could not have. When we buy popcorn for our small family of three, we buy one box and split it. I don't want my daughter eating an entire box by herself. So if you are in line in front of me and hand me, my wife and my daughter each a box of popcorn, we will have to politely decline and if there is no one else in line at the time, you will be stuck with three extra boxes of popcorn. I'm not saying that it is always a mistake or will always turn out badly. But there is just no way to know. The better approach would be to simply tell the vendor to use up your credits, and during his shift, he should tell three customers that the popcorn "is on Walt". That way, people get free popcorn, but no one gets anything more or less than what they want. So in the example you gave, the father who only had enough money for one box of popcorn would get his one box for free. Then, the father could decide on his own whether he wanted to supplement that with another paid-for box. In the example of my family, if the vendor told me that my one shared box was free, it would not cause me to order a second box, because the portion we already received was fine. Others might do it differently. In the end, it is better for the food vendor to hand out free food than guests.

Man are you a downer today. There is nothing wrong w offering to buy a round of snacks for the ppl in line if you have points left over. That is crazy to say it will cause a rift in a teaching moment or something. If a parent offered me a free point and I was telling my kids about the costs we'd all be thankful and resume the "what it costs" next time. We split snacks too. Snacks, candy, whatever. But if someone gave us a free one we'd either split that or splurge and get another, or if nothing else worked, say "no thank you" and suggest they give it to the next person in line. There is no harm in offering something to someone! If it doesn't work they'll just say no thank you. I can't see anyone seriously getting offended at being offered a free snack.

Anyways I thought that was a really good idea... to offer up unused points. Doesn't cost you anything and makes someone else happy. :)

I disagree here. Wanting to be recognized for a good doing does not make the deed done in selfishness. If you donate a billion dollars to build a library, but you want the library to be named after you, that is still donating a library to a community. You should get the recognition and respect for doing so. Same thing here. Someone wouldn't just say "drain my card to 0 and later give 2 guests something free"... how can the CM choose who to give free stuff to? That's putting inappropriate pressure on the CM to choose. If you just do it, as a guest, you can be so bold as to pick two random people and give them something but a CM cannot so much set the precedent that CMs sometimes give out food for free. Just buy it for the next person in line. They'll be grateful, you'll smile, they'll smile, nothing bad comes of this.

I always leave unopened beer in the fridge with a note that says "your on vacation, relax". Does it get tossed? Maybe. Has at least one person enjoyed a free beer upon check in over the many years I have done this? Possibly.

Cheers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter