Pay it Forward and be a Disney spirit - Let's bring joy to Disney

hopeful4fl

DisneySpirit
Too many times we hear of the negative traits of our species at WDW. Let's try to start small on the positive side of the human nature and pledge to do some pay it forward things. It is surprising how little it takes from us to make someone else's day. Here are my pledges:
1> If on the dining plan, and have extra snacks at end of trip, buy snacks from shops and hand them out.
2> If someone cuts in line in front of I, do not make a big deal about it.

If someone has ideas on some positive things they have done, or suggestions to add to this, would love to hear about them. Let's celebrate positivity.

So, I go to WDW with my DD25, 2 adults, but I like to get a balloon for the room sometimes! Makes it seem a little more festive, and it's nostalgic as it reminds me of when I was little and went to DL and we got balloons! Anyway, last time we got a balloon, I didn't wanna just throw it away, it looked as fresh as the day I got, it had lots of joy to share still! So, on our way out, we stopped in the lobby of our resort, and I looked around for a family checking in. I saw a family with a little boy, and I was able to ask the parents if it was okay. They were surprised but happily said yes and I gave the balloon to the little boy. He was so excited! And, I was really happy that we got to pass on the fun of having a balloon in the room, that felt really nice to share something so simple and see the little boy so happy! I plan to get a balloon next trip and pass it on again!

On our last DCL cruise my DS had been gifted a few arcade cards, but we don't really play arcade games, so one evening we went up to the arcade and handed them out to the children who were playing the games. It was so nice to see the smiles on their faces!

Too many times we hear of the negative traits of our species at WDW. Let's try to start small on the positive side of the human nature and pledge to do some pay it forward things. It is surprising how little it takes from us to make someone else's day. Here are my pledges:
1> If on the dining plan, and have extra snacks at end of trip, buy snacks from shops and hand them out.
2> If someone cuts in line in front of I, do not make a big deal about it.

If someone has ideas on some positive things they have done, or suggestions to add to this, would love to hear about them. Let's celebrate positivity.
On our trip earlier this month we tried to make a point of letting all of the guests leave the holding areas before us at Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion and RNR. You would be surprised at how much better it made us feel. No anxiety about getting ahead or keeping our party together. It made us happier and I hoped it helped others be less anxious.

My "pay it forward" was a few years ago and it didn't work out well but I'll pass it along it case it does for someone else. I was driving and got to a toll booth where it was $2.50 for me (this was on the way home so don't faint with the cost) and I pulled out a $5 bill. I just told the cashier that I would pay for the person behind me.

Either the cashier pocketed the $2.50 or the lady in the car behind me was a, um, witch because when she passed me not two minutes later, she didn't even wave. But - you can always do that - pay for someone's tolls or parking fee.

I promise not to roll my eyes at screaming, annoying children. That's probably the best I can truly commit to lol. Otherwise I also always attempt to be a good human everywhere I go, disney as well. But sometimes... Things happen.

If on the dining plan, and have extra snacks at end of trip, buy snacks from shops and hand them out.
I know that this is meant with the best of intentions, but handing out food to strangers is simply a bad idea. It could interfere with parenting strategies. It could cause hard feelings. It could present allergy issues. Food is just too personal of an issue to be placed into the hands of strangers. Even a simple: "Would you mind if I gave your child a box of popcorn?" could open up a can or worms.

I know that this is meant with the best of intentions, but handing out food to strangers is simply a bad idea. It could interfere with parenting strategies. It could cause hard feelings. It could present allergy issues. Food is just too personal of an issue to be placed into the hands of strangers. Even a simple: "Would you mind if I gave your child a box of popcorn?" could open up a can or worms.
I see your point. Maybe having the snacks layed in a public area with help yourself sign might be better.

actually saw this work out very well on a solo trip I did a few years ago. A solo older man was getting some things from a vendor and a father and his two sons were waiting behind him and talking. I was behind the father and the two sons. Each of the sons wanted a bag of popcorn but the father said they didn't have enough for three bags so they would all split one bag. The boys were a bit disappointed but understood. The older gentleman at the front of the line added two bags of popcorn to his total and then turned around and handed them to the two sons. So, if you have extra credits left over, you could wait near a vendor line and listen to the talk and see which families are going to get popcorn or snacks and then offer to buy them for the family.

My "pay it forward" was a few years ago and it didn't work out well but I'll pass it along it case it does for someone else. I was driving and got to a toll booth where it was $2.50 for me (this was on the way home so don't faint with the cost) and I pulled out a $5 bill. I just told the cashier that I would pay for the person behind me.

Either the cashier pocketed the $2.50 or the lady in the car behind me was a, um, witch because when she passed me not two minutes later, she didn't even wave. But - you can always do that - pay for someone's tolls or parking fee.

Someone paid our bridge fair a few weeks ago ($4), but neither dh nor I was really paying attention while waiting and by the time we found out they paid it, the cars were all mixed together so we couldn't identify who it was.

So maybe the person wasn't aware it was you who had paid their toll. Or maybe there was a car similiar to yours that they had waved too.

Just offering an alternative explanation......

I went alone for the first time in 2011 right after my divorce was finalized. I decided I was going to take pictures for couples who didn't have PhotoPass so they could actually be in pictures together. It was a way to break out of any kind of shell I might be feeling being there alone. It was the 3rd week in September so the park was nearly empty that time of year (I've heard it's like that anymore that time of year). I was taking a smoke break in the smoking area near the Liberty Boat/Liberty Tree Inn and a couple was there with me. They were taking pictures of each other and I asked them if they'd like me to take a pic of them together. They were thrilled, and then they told me they wished I had been around them earlier because they just got engaged earlier in the morning in front of Cinderella Castle. I told them that if they could keep the 'secret' and if she could act 'surprised' I'd be GLAD to take the picture in front of the Castle as if it was happening for the first time when he asked her to marry him. They. Were. THRILLED!!! So we went to the Castle and reenacted the moment with me taking the pics. It's a memory I know I will never forget and one they have on film for the rest of their lives.

So, if you have extra credits left over, you could wait near a vendor line and listen to the talk and see which families are going to get popcorn or snacks and then offer to buy them for the family.
Sorry, but it is just too situational dependent. In the example you gave, there was apparently an economic issue which the gentleman was trying to assuage. But in handing out the free popcorn, perhaps the gentleman was undoing a teachable moment in the importance of budgeting. Maybe the parent of the two sons gave each son an allowance for snacks for the day, and one of the boys had used his up already and the other boy was going to use his for the popcorn. When both boys got free popcorn, the boy who had already used up his allowance received something that his father was trying to teach him he could not have. When we buy popcorn for our small family of three, we buy one box and split it. I don't want my daughter eating an entire box by herself. So if you are in line in front of me and hand me, my wife and my daughter each a box of popcorn, we will have to politely decline and if there is no one else in line at the time, you will be stuck with three extra boxes of popcorn. I'm not saying that it is always a mistake or will always turn out badly. But there is just no way to know. The better approach would be to simply tell the vendor to use up your credits, and during his shift, he should tell three customers that the popcorn "is on Walt". That way, people get free popcorn, but no one gets anything more or less than what they want. So in the example you gave, the father who only had enough money for one box of popcorn would get his one box for free. Then, the father could decide on his own whether he wanted to supplement that with another paid-for box. In the example of my family, if the vendor told me that my one shared box was free, it would not cause me to order a second box, because the portion we already received was fine. Others might do it differently. In the end, it is better for the food vendor to hand out free food than guests.

I bring extra surprises for my kids and for my kids to share. We pass out glow sticks, earlier this year we broke them out while waiting in line to check in to the dessert party and shared some magic. This upcoming trip I have also packed 2 dozen plastic princess wands (left over from our birthday party). We will probably share them while waiting in lines. I also have several gift bags full of princess or pirate things that I will pack along if we have room, and share them with any kids my kids make friends with at the resorts.

Because we always go for 2 weeks during free dining and always have one or more family members who do not stay the full 2 weeks we end up with a lot of left over CS meals. The TS meals we use up on signature dining 2 credit meals, but always have left over CS meals. So if I am in back of someone in line at a CS location and they are paying cash I will ask if I can pay for their meal with my free dining plan. The family is thrilled. I have only been told no once by a CM, but this year it seems that this should be accepted by all CMs. I know you can get snacks with your CS meal credits but how many snacks can you bring home!

I'm planning on some extra glow bracelets, and getting some stickers for my kids to pixie dust on other kids.

I can relate to the snack credit thing - last time we had a bunch left over on our last day and ended up with like, bags of pretzels/candy/whatever coming home on the plane with us. LOL. If you want to pixie dust things like that, I'd recommend doing it from in the line behind the person. If they are already buying a _______, just interject and offer to use your credits for it. Less magical perhaps but would not interfere with anyone's parenting.

Love this thread. We used to give our fastpasses away if we weren't going to use them. That really made people happy. One thing we always do, I've modeled it with my children, now they do it, is giving up a seat to someone who needs it more.

And... not rolling your eyes at crying children is a huge gift to give a frazzled parent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter