Palo Brunch attire

4KsLUVDisney

Mouseketeer
Is the dress attire at Palo for brunch the same as it is for dinner or can it be a little more casual?

Is the dress attire at Palo for brunch the same as it is for dinner or can it be a little more casual?
Technically, the dress code is the same for brunch and dinner. That being said, you'll find it a little more relaxed for brunch (more like "garden party" than "fancy dinner"). However, the biggest issue with the brunch dress code is the enforcement of the "no capris" part. Some have been allowed in with capris, others have been told to go back and change.

I would say only a little more casual. No shorts at all, even "dressy" shorts. Long pants for men, and long pants, a skirt or dress for women. Some people have reported being able to wear capri pants, but I have not observed this myself.

I have worn long black dressy capri pants that were freshly pressed from the dry cleaners with a nice blouse and never had an issue.
I will say we tried jeans and a blazer for my husband on the Alaska cruise and were told to go back and change.....and rightfully so. :)
That is the experience I have had with Palo Brunch.

It is the same for both meals. You will read reports that at lunchtime it seems more casual and they may not enforce the dress code, then you will read reports that they do enforce the dress code. Capris, which are not allowed, are a currently popular example.

My advice, after having eaten there 25 or so times, is simple. We read the dress code, follow it, and don't have a worry. We've never been questioned of course, and we never have to wonder whether we will get away with something because we don't push it.

My husband doesn't like to dress up and doesn't have a full suit. He was wondering if black docker pants, dress shoes and a collared polo dress shirt with short sleeves would work for brunch and dinner at Palo?
If not I might need to cancel our reservations as I know he wouldn't go buy a suit shirt and suit pants just for the cruise.

My husband doesn't like to dress up and doesn't have a full suit. He was wondering if black docker pants, dress shoes and a collared polo dress shirt with short sleeves would work for brunch and dinner at Palo?
If not I might need to cancel our reservations as I know he wouldn't go buy a suit shirt and suit pants just for the cruise.
I think that would be fine for brunch. Can't really say about dinner. I don't know if a polo would be considered "dress". Or docker pants as "dress" either.

Since the wording says:
To preserve the elegant atmosphere, you are asked to adhere to a strict dress code when dining at Palo. Dress pants and shirt are required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

As well as:
Dinner and Brunch
  • Men: dress pants and dress shirt; jacket is optional
  • Women: dress or pantsuit

I'd say it might not fly.

You should cancel. He can get away with Sports jacket and pants, but he would need a dress shirt. Here is the actual dress code: To preserve the elegant atmosphere, you are asked to adhere to a strict dress code when dining at Palo. Dress pants and shirt are required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

If you have a Marshall's in your area you can get dress pants and a dress shirt for about $30 each.

If it's really clothing he would never wear again, I might recommend looking at Goodwill. Often they have dress clothes in excellent condition and you're supporting a good cause at the same time.

Good information to know!!! For my packing list I need to start making a list of outfits needed for meals and different events. This is more intense and regulated than I originally thought. I would hate to be turned away or embrassed.

Good information to know!!! For my packing list I need to start making a list of outfits needed for meals and different events. This is more intense and regulated than I originally thought. I would hate to be turned away or embrassed.

I kind of disagree that it is intense and regulated. Palo and Remy have clear, reasonable, generally enforced dress codes appropriate for upscale restaurants. Everywhere else, including the main dining rooms (MDRs), may have suggested dress, but we have found that folks feel free to ignore them and Disney doesn't seem to care. Haven't seen swimsuits in the MDRs yet, but just about anything else goes. And I don't know of any events that have any dress suggestion. If you don't want to wear nice clothes to dinner, then just skip Palo, and don't worry about anything else. There is a dress code request for the MDR, but golly it doesn't come near to what you might expect for the elegant dining venue.

Don't worry about it. No intensity, no regulation. Bring what you feel like wearing on a cruise and enjoy.

Last edited:
I kind of disagree that it is intense and regulated. Palo and Remy have clear, reasonable, generally enforced dress codes appropriate for upscale restaurants. Everywhere else, including the main dining rooms (MDRs), may have suggested dress, but we have found that folks feel free to ignore them and Disney doesn't seem to care. Haven't seen swimsuits in the MDRs yet, but just about anything else goes. And I don't know of any events that have any dress suggestion. If you don't want to wear nice clothes to dinner, then just skip Palo, and don't worry about anything else. There is a dress code request for the MDR, but golly it doesn't come near to what you might expect for the elegant dining venue.

Don't worry about it. No intensity, no regulation. Bring what you feel like wearing on a cruise and enjoy.

We have reservations to Palo and I am looking forward to dressing up at least one night and take pictures, etc... I was going to have DH wear nice black pair of Dockers brand pants, nice dress shirt and tie, but it sounds like Dockers are a no, no and that he has to have a jacket as well.

Also, I love capris and that also seems to be frowned upon at dinner time (in main dining). I did not think I was going to have to always wear pants or a dress every night for dinner, since capris and shorts appear frowned upon. I know it sounds silly as well, but I have some cute, tasteful wedge style flip flops and sad I will not be able to wear them as well.

I will live, but just have to figure out clothing and shoes.

You'll be fine for brunch and black dockers are fine for dinner just get him a button up and tell him it is only cor a few hours.

Also, I love capris and that also seems to be frowned upon at dinner time (in main dining). I did not think I was going to have to always wear pants or a dress every night for dinner, since capris and shorts appear frowned upon. I know it sounds silly as well, but I have some cute, tasteful wedge style flip flops and sad I will not be able to wear them as well.

I really don't think there is any frowning by anybody about what you wear in the main dining rooms. Really. Many hundreds of cruisers love dressing up on a beautiful ship in an elegant dining room, and many hundreds enjoy the freedom to dress down and wear whatever they want. If you care to look, you'll see everything, and no frowning by anyone (especially not the serving staff). Not even a little. You should be perfectly comfortable wearing what you want to dinner, at both extremes of dressiness or anywhere in between.

We have reservations to Palo and I am looking forward to dressing up at least one night and take pictures, etc... I was going to have DH wear nice black pair of Dockers brand pants, nice dress shirt and tie, but it sounds like Dockers are a no, no and that he has to have a jacket as well.

Jacket is optional at Polo but must be in dress pants and dress shirt. To be honest as long as the dockers are clean and pressed the average eye won't seen they are true "dress" pants especially when paired with a dress shoe.

The main dinning rooms are much more relaxed. The only rules are no cut offs and no barhing suits. Besides that you see everything from shorts and t-shirts to sundress and cocktail dresses on none theme night.

I think the difference with regard to brunch and dinner at Palo is not the dress code, but the style people would go for. For example, I tend to wear more dark colors for dinner and something more colorful for brunch. Dinner might be a black cocktail dress, brunch a purple sun dress. Both are within the official dresscode, but it appears that my brunch choice is more "casual". From what I have observed, a lot of other guests at Palo seem to follow similar styles.

I tend to be a rule follower even when others "make fun of me" for doing so however black Docker pants and a nice polo shirt would be fine in my opinion and experience. We've only done Palo Brunch but I've done it on all four ships several times and have never ever felt out of place. My DH wears nice pants and usually a dress shirt but one from Old Navy that is nice (so that's another suggestion if you need one) and nice casual shoes. I have always worn dressy capri's that are usually black and then a nice blouse or dress shirt and dressy shoes. I can tell you for sure without sounding judgmental I know my group has been more overdressed than lots of others in brunch. I have seen men turned back for wearing tennis shoes but never any women. I'm not saying any of them weren't appropriate but definitely a lot more dressed down than I would expect. I think capri's take a big hit but some are definitely dressier than others and I think it's how you present yourself. I can't put my finger on it now, but capri's were not on my "no" list the last time I had brunch on the Magic.

The MDR are much more casual than they used to be when I first cruised DCL in 2012. You will see some dressed to the 9's and others in t-shirt and shorts and flip flops. It's your vacation and trust me, you'll be more than fine in capris. As I mentioned above, I tend to prefer capris or dress pants (that aren't "too fancy") and a nice shirt. For dining in the MDR sometimes it's a more casual top depending on what we are doing before or after dinner. My DH and DS usually wear nice khakis and now even dressier shorts since they are allowed. What you have listed will be absolutely fine, promise :)

I'm with @Flossbolna that in my experience most tend to be in the same category and dressed alike and for Brunch I've never felt strongly someone was out of place but also never felt someone was over dressed.

Heather

you can wear dockers to Palo. I wore khakis and a polo to palo dinner last year (we were not planning to dine at Palo but did not pack for it)

I think they only thing they'll get you for is shorts, sandals, or t-shirts.

MikeJenBrunch14.JPG Here's what my husband has worn twice to Palo brunch. This one was a year ago. He wore a sportcoat over the polo the first time, but last year went without the sportcoat and encountered no problems. Almost all of the men in there when we were were either wearing a polo (no sportcoat) or a dress shirt (no jacket).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter