Pack for all week or do laundry???

girlsx2

<font color=teal>The Tag Fairy loves and appreciat
I know this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread. We are leaving in a couple of weeks and I have already started to pack our things. My question is should I pack for all week or do laundry midweek? I know I will get many different responses on this topic, but I am trying to keep our baggage to a minimum. We are driving, but our car space is limited. We are taking our own cooler w/snacks and drinks and such. We will stop by the grocery store for breakfast items. I don't want to load down the car with lots of luggage. Last year we had 6 suitcases, a cooler, stroller, food, toys and homework in the van and we were packed to the gills!! I am just trying to decide what my best option is!! Thanks for your help!!

Cya There!!!

:wave2:

We usually drive and stay for 10-12 days. We take a minivan and always have plenty of room for luggage. That beings said, we still end up washing clothes mid stay. It isn't that we run out as I always seem to pack more then enough. It just ends up that we have our "favorite" items to wear like most comfortable shorts or shirts. I have learned after 7 trips in two years not to pack so much and only pack our absolute favorites. I also bring those detergent tablets and dryer sheets to save time and quarters for the machines. I have even bought a neat collapsible hamper that stands on its own and made out out of netting material. I pop it up and stand it in the closet. We toss our dirty clothes in there and I take the whole thing to the resort laundry room. It makes it so much easier to carry. Also I sneak down and do laundry at night when DD goes to sleep. My mom stays with her and I get everything done in about an hour. So no wasting time!

We always pack for the full 10 day vacation; however, with hanging out by the pool so many days in our swimsuits, we don't go through that many clothes (we camp).

My husband always thinks I'm going to do laundry, but we never quite get around to it (I don't promise anything going in though).

From reading your post, it sounds like you've already made up your mind though to do laundry. Go with what's best for you.

Personally, I would go with the doing laundry option. The laundry rooms are very clean and nice. It took about 1 hour total to do one load (30 to wash and about 30 to dry). Be sure to take plenty of quarters! If I remember right, it was $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry. A "one-time use" of detergent was $1.00, so you may want to take your own.

I vote for doing laundry, then you have more room to bring home souvenirs with you and everyone generally does...:)

Thanks for the replies!! Laundry it is!!!

Thanks Again!!

Cya There!!

Pack all those things that you always wear, then leave out the things you always take but never wear. See how you go from there, we usually do a little laundry, but then we usually stay in the Kissimee villas.

Happy packing

Just pack for a week. There is no point waiting around on your vacation to do laundery.

but think I'll probably always do laundry from now on. I too have the pop up hamper/basket thingy that I pack in a suitcase (we're flying again). We need two boosters for the airplane/rental van and two strollers so we're rather limited on the number of suitcases we can manage much less get onto the aircraft. And the kids always want their special stuff anyway. I find that doing laundry is easy enough while Gary has the kids in the pool. I bring a book and relax. I get some alone time, we all have clean clothes and I don't have to pack like we're going on an expedition in darkest Africa.

And you're going when the weather could be either hot or cold. That makes doing laundry more of a must, I think. I never bring enough of the right "temp" clothing.

Enjoy your trip!

We go for one week and do one load of darks and one load of lights. Bring at least $10 in quarters to Disney. I bring a 4 fabric softener sheets and these little dry disks of detergent (I think wisk makes them. I bring enough to do 3 loads. At the All-Star-Movies, the laundry is right by the pool so we just run it while we are hanging out relaxing in the afternoon or while kids are napping. I'm with those who can't live without their favorite items and I don't have enough faves to last 7 days. Not to mention that we fly and we don't want to lug tons of stuff. We have enough stuff with 2 small children.
Best,
Amy
P.S. Speaking of fabric softener sheets, put them in your suitcases to keep them smelling nice between uses!

Originally posted by girlsx2
I know this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread. We are leaving in a couple of weeks and I have already started to pack our things. My question is should I pack for all week or do laundry midweek? I know I will get many different responses on this topic, but I am trying to keep our baggage to a minimum. We are driving, but our car space is limited. We are taking our own cooler w/snacks and drinks and such. We will stop by the grocery store for breakfast items. I don't want to load down the car with lots of luggage. Last year we had 6 suitcases, a cooler, stroller, food, toys and homework in the van and we were packed to the gills!! I am just trying to decide what my best option is!! Thanks for your help!!

Cya There!!!

This is your vacation, why in the world would you want to do laundry? Relax and enjoy yourself.:wave2:

Originally posted by Efastpitch
This is your vacation, why in the world would you want to do laundry? Relax and enjoy yourself.:wave2:

My thoughts exactly! When I'm on vacation the last thing I want to do is work. Why would I want to be in a laundry room when I could be by the pool, in a park, or just relaxing & reading a book on a WDW resort balcony.

Just cram a few more things into each suitcase so you don't have to bring so many! Or tell your family to wear some of their shorts more than once :eek: .

I do not mind doing laundry while on vacation. I kind of enjoy sitting there late at night for an hour chatting with the other ladies doing clothes. It is peaceful and relaxing and in no way takes away from my park or resort time. You won't find me at a park or sitting on the balcony at midnight but you might find me in the laundry room! It can get quite interesting in there late at night as I found out. The last trip to the Poly I was in the laundry room and some lush comes in and starts looking in washers. She finally finds one and puts her clothes in. A few minutes later I go to take my clothes out. She starts screaming at me that they are her clothes! It was pretty funny. She was trashed and a total embarrassment to her kids that were with her. I showed her she was wrong and all of a sudden she is my "bestest" friend in the world. I also figure out that the concierge does not limit beers at the lounge or these Georgians have brought a massive stock of booze with them. Her husband comes in and brings her 4 more longneck beers to drink while she is doing her load of clothes. She already had one beer done and started another when he reloaded her. So the laundry can be a pretty interesting place to be at midnight!

That was funny Terry!!! I did do laundry on our last trip at the WL. I can't even believe I would even consider doing laundry after that!! It was awful. There are only about 5 washers and 8 dryers or something like that and there were about 16 people in there all waiting!! Then as my load was just about finished drying, here walks in this woman, her husband and two kids and has about 10 loads of laundry to do!!! She grabbed up every washer that came available!! Anyway...I don't mind doing laundry either especially at night. Might as well make good use of my time while the kids are watching TV or in the pool!! It gives me a little down time from them and also gives me the chance to chat with "adults"!! Thanks again for all the replies!!

Cya THere!!!

we fly down every December, so we have to take for both kinds of weather. I use space bags, you would be surprised how much you can take! and bring home!!!! I purchased mine from QVC, you "roll" out the air.

wdwgrannyb - Hello!! fellow West Virginian!!! I live in Charleston. I haven't ran across that many WVians here on the dis, so when I do I like to say HI!!

Thanks for the tip. I thought about ordering those and I did buy the 2.5 gallon ziplocks and "rolled" the air out of them. They work pretty good. I have been packed for about two weeks so the air is slowly leaking back in. I may go over to QVC and order them so they will be here before I leave!!

Thanks Again!!

We stay at our Marriott timeshare and always do laundry in the room. We only bring 3 days worth of clothes and always bring everything home clean so there is no laundry to do when we get home!!! DW likes this better and it makes it easier to get back home after vacation.

David

I would pack for a week if you are driving. You can wash at home not on your vacation. If you are flying then you may want to wash to cut on luggage.

I was adamant about NOT doing laundry...after all, it's my vacation too! Who wants to do chores, right? Well...now that I'm in the midst of packing, I think I may change my mind. I didn't realise just how much STUFF it takes for 5 people for 10 days! :eek: (Especially when the weather is so variable at this time of year.) I don't think I could get it all on the plane, let alone into the rental car! So, now I'm thinking of trying to pare it down and going the "laundry" route. :confused:

I know I read here on the boards a while back about a place near WDW where you can drop off your laundry...a fluff 'n fold type place, I guess. I didn't pay much attention at the time as I had every intention of packing enough. I remember the poster saying it was: A. Close, B. Reasonably priced, and C. They did a great job. Anyone know where/what the place is???

One of the best reasons in the world to own DVC points, the washer and dryer in my room. I did probably 10 small loads of laundry and went home with all the clothes clean. When I unpacked at home, I just put it all away. Nothing worse than finding that wet t-shirt or jeans that you forgot about and they have been growing in a plastic bag for a few days. Peeeyuuuu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter