Overnights at Walmart or Camping World on the drive down...

We do that route once you get to the lower part of IL. We are coming from up near Wisconsin and drive straight through. We take turns driving and have always made it, but last year we were both beat and pulled off in a rest area and spoke to security and they said it was fine for a few hours, they just don't want people pitching tents or staying for full days. We pulled over for 2.5 hours for a cat nap and then kept on going.

I've only stayed at 1 campground I might have felt a lot safer with my 9mm!

Cabela's also has a designated area for overnight parking/camping. We have done this twice, there may be a few on your route.

Over the years before we had kids we stayed at many wal-marts with no problems at all. Cracker Barrel, Lowes, and Home Depot are usually good ones as well. Since we had kids they need the freedom offered with a campground playground, pool, and place to move around after traveling all day.

If I were stopping for just a few hours to catch a quick nap, I'd look at Flying Js as well. Usually plenty of RVers there already.

We are different about this thinking for getting to the Fort. The Fort is not a trip we do often so we like to enjoy every minute of it. Yes, we only have a ten hour trip but we still go ahead and reserve a spot somewhere along the way. For us, we know we can easily make it to southern Ga. and that puts us about 4-5 hours from DW. This December, we're already booked at the St. Mary's KOA near the Fla. border. We can enjoy the trip down, set up around 5:00, chill out and maybe even go out to dinner, then get a good night's rest. The next morning we try to pull out by 8:00am and we're at the Fort entrance between 12:00 and 1:00 pm ready to enjoy the day.

Coming home is an entirely different thing. We leave usually by 9:00am and outside of stopping for bathrooms and eating, we don't quit until we pull into the driveway at home.

There is a budget host hotel in London, KY near the TN border that essentially has a parking lot with hookups where you can back in, hook up the AC and spend the night with tow vehicle connected. Not the kind of place to stay if you want a camping experience, but a good stop if you are just looking for electric and a few hours of sleep. Other than that I seem to do better at Cracker Barrels. The Flying J's look fairly safe, but the RV spots fill up early and they are noisy and in bright light. I do stop at Flying J for all my fuel whenever I can.

As far as firearms and camping, the majority of people I know that camp are armed. The percentage will be especially high in the KY,TN, GA part of that interstate drug traffic corridor. Calling 911 is often not a viable option to resolve a situation that will be over quickly. These people are not paranoid, are often very competent (sometimes more competent than the local police), and not about to harm an innocent person like you because the rest of their life would be ruined by the guilt and lawsuits. I wouldn't be concerned about it. If you don't personally feel comfortable with firearms, then don't carry one. Just place a Glock or similar decal on your window and everyone will assume you are armed.

As far as firearms and camping, the majority of people I know that camp are armed. The percentage will be especially high in the KY,TN, GA part of that interstate drug traffic corridor. Calling 911 is often not a viable option to resolve a situation that will be over quickly. These people are not paranoid, are often very competent (sometimes more competent than the local police), and not about to harm an innocent person like you because the rest of their life would be ruined by the guilt and lawsuits. I wouldn't be concerned about it. If you don't personally feel comfortable with firearms, then don't carry one. Just place a Glock or similar decal on your window and everyone will assume you are armed.
I sort of agree with you and sort of don't. I don't care if people carry a firearm with them. My hope is that everyone that chooses to carry a firearm KNOWS the impact of what it means. Certainly, I hope that they also OBEY the laws of the areas they are traveling.

I personally don't like to advertise (falsely or otherwise) that I have a firearm. While it may deter some, it can also attract others. And I believe it would deter the "Petty Thief" and might attract someone, who believes (whether correctly or not) that they can "Acquire" your firearm for OTHER less then honorable uses.

If someone wants to carry, I'd prefer that they just carry and only reveal that they are armed long enough to resolve a "Situation", otherwise, I am in the "Low Key" group. (Kind of like the Military's "Don't ask don't tell" policy).

We try to stay at a camp ground for the most part when we had the multiple day drive. The KOA at the Florida Georgia line is a nice place for the easy on and off aspect. It was clean and cheap for a KOA. I agree with those wanting to stay at a CG. We did natural bridge VA and Savannah South in GA on our first trip down to WDW. Both worked out perfect for a 4 year old at the time trapped in a car all day long. Each morning, my DD got about 30 minutes of playground time to burn off before getting on the road. The last trip to WDW we stayed at a Flying J outside of Richmond. It was ok for the couple of hours of shut down we needed. My wife said it would have to work since I was no longer in a condition to drive. We parked next to another RV and a truck. The only think that was annoying was a hot shot hauler pulled up next to us at some point getting a few hours of rest. The next morning we got up did our business and got going on the road. However, there were clean bathrooms, good lighting where we were parked plus perceived security with other RVers, cameras, etc around. As for a highway rest stop, I would not personally stop for the night. Good for a quick food and bathroom break. I try to park in a a way that I have a good line of sight of the bath rooms and the truck.

One last thing. A couple of years ago we were getting fuel near the NC/SC border on the way to Myrtle Beach . I pulled off at a station right off the 95. It was probably the closest that I know of that we almost got jacked. We were watched and cased twice within 3 minutes After the CC got declined by the store attendant, we made tracks. While we waited for the few seconds, 2 people asked us to carry a "package" to some town in SC. Simply put we hauled *** down to the next exit for fuel. To make this a bit more interesting. We got to the next fuel station which was about 2 miles down the road. My mom gave me $100 bucks for fuel. We paid in cash at the attendant. Since I knew the truck was going to take the 100 and no change. My dad and I had a plan, he would pump the gas and I would hang in the driver's seat ready to go. While he was pumping the gas, I noticed this person who pulled up on a bicycle who strangely looked like the same guy who was at the gas station we were just at where the card was getting bounced. My dad saw the same thing and then the pump clicked off. He got the truck ready to go, we made time back on the highway. This was the closest I probably came to a bad situation on the road. I'm on the road alot too. Even my wife was spooked and said it might have been nice to have some extra protection. For the rest of the ride, it gave me my 5 hour energy as I was on high alert for any funny business for the last 40 miles of the 95 leg of the trip. Other lesson learned, we get fuel much higher up in NC around Selma Exit 97? The big truck stop up there. I will short stop just to avoid the lower NC area due to my experience.

Wow... I have only made the Drive (to and from Disney) 3 times. My issues were with traffic more than anything else. Never had an issue at a rest stop. We did stop at one that looked a bit sketchy... took all about 5 seconds and both DW and I agreed that we could wait until the next rest stop.

We have slept in the camper in truck stops and rest stops. Ironically, the one time we stayed at a hotel (our last trip home in August 2016), because it was just too hot to stay in the TT without the AC, we ended up getting our Truck and TT damaged. Sadly we didn't notice the (albeit minor) damage until we got home because we left early and it was still dark outside.

I think that common sense is the biggest rule. Obviously, be aware of your surroundings (whether you are carrying a weapon or not) and have a plan. I try to make sure I always have enough gas to get to the NEXT stop if the one I am stopping at has an issue (Can't get the Rig into the pump area, price way to high, or even scary/sketchy locations). Fortunately, I have been pretty successful in not encountering too many issues of concern (again, traffic notwithstanding). Of course my ways aren't always good for others. I don't mind the pulling in to a campground for a night, it's the whole "reservation" thing that's my hangup with it. (timing the 1 night stay with travel plans effectively). Sometimes I make "Good Time" others, I could be way behind...

you got some good luck there Paul. The thing is the first time we went to Disney in 2012, I paid for my fuel in cash. When we went to MB in '13, we used our CC. It turned out my card got flagged since it was outside a limit area. I called up the next morning to find out why the card got declined in the first place. Then I told the CSR that we almost got into a bad situation. The next time I went to WDW or anywhere distant, I call the CC and tell them that I will be travelling to a general area. Chances are the charges will be legit. However, I still have had security calls to verify charges. Hence why I keep the card. I found the truck stops like a Flying J/Pilot seem to have some decent RV parking and some what protection. Word would get around not to use the place as a rest stop, fuel or otherwise. When you get into the evening hours, I always find RVers in FJs. The one up in Gibson, PA is a big RV stop. There must have been 30 of them in there the one time I stop for fuel for the work vehicle.

However, I have seen people camp out the complex I work in. One of them was my boss when he first got the trailer. Another was a family who had bought/leased an RV for some book signing trip. A company rented our warehouse space to wrap the Class A with the book information. I guess they wanted to see what it was going to be like. The best part neither of them knew how to drive the RV. They where from somewhere in New England I think. They came down to meet the instructor and did a practice run in the complex and then took it on the road. After that it sat there for another week or so. It was a really odd.

Wow... I have only made the Drive (to and from Disney) 3 times. My issues were with traffic more than anything else. Never had an issue at a rest stop. We did stop at one that looked a bit sketchy... took all about 5 seconds and both DW and I agreed that we could wait until the next rest stop.
We have slept in the camper in truck stops and rest stops. Ironically, the one time we stayed at a hotel (our last trip home in August 2016), because it was just too hot to stay in the TT without the AC, we ended up getting our Truck and TT damaged. Sadly we didn't notice the (albeit minor) damage until we got home because we left early and it was still dark outside.

I have to agree If a place or people at at it don't sit right or make me feel funny it's time to go. We did stop for gas one timeat a 7-11 on rt 58 just before I95 that gave us that feel never again. Today with GS trip routing tool I plan fuel stops at Pilot/ Flying J's With our furballs we also try and stop at places we can walk them at

I think that common sense is the biggest rule. Obviously, be aware of your surroundings (whether you are carrying a weapon or not) and have a plann I try to make sure I always have enough gas to get to the NEXT stop if the one I am stopping at has an issue (Can't get the Rig into the pump area, price way to high, or even scary/sketchy locations). Fortunately, I have been pretty successful in not encountering too many issues of concern (again, traffic notwithstanding). Of course my ways aren't always good for others. I don't mind the pulling in to a campground for a night, it's the whole "reservation" thing that's my hang up with it. (timing the 1 night stay with travel plans effectively). Sometimes I make "Good Time" others, I could be way behind...
Too bad common sense it not a common attribute I try to plan our travel day and destination based on expected problems, (Major cities), fuel(30 min) and potty stops(20 min) (All occupants except cats) Food stops Cracker Barrel's I also try to book overnight stops with amenities that meet our needs and have reliable recommendations or we know from past experience we will be happy with As for our firearms local state laws decide that for us Nobody need to know what I do or do not have unless they force the issue

Last edited:
Have done the overnights in Walmarts several times with no issues, although not along this route. A good app to use is 'RV Parky' it lists Walmarts and other places you can stay. Often there are comments that can assure you it's a place you can use or it will tell you if overnights are not allowed there.

Have done the overnights in Walmarts several times with no issues, although not along this route. A good app to use is 'RV Parky' it lists Walmarts and other places you can stay. Often there are comments that can assure you it's a place you can use or it will tell you if overnights are not allowed there.

Stayed at one Walmart and that was one too many (was an emergency stop), but had a security scare - never again at any of those types of 'just pull in' places. Don't care how much you are 'allowed' to park there overnight.

We do stay occasionally at designated areas at Flying J/Pilots (noisy, but use noise machines) - also fuel there, otherwise we will gladly pay for a campground, feel safe, and have hookups.

NoM, I get what you are saying.... But I look at it this way.... Just like food.... If you try a hamburger at McDonald's and it's horrible, it doesn't mean the hamburger at Red Robin will be horrible either. Similarly, it could have just been THAT location that was an issue.

At this point, in our travels, we have not had an issues. Granted, we never have stayed in a WalMart lot, but would if we had to. I do prefer the Flying J/Pilots or similar. The noise is okay by me as it's like "White Noise" and I find it soothing (although DW doesn't like it).

It just goes to show that not everyone is alike and what works for one, doesn't always work for others.

Either way, I wish you (and all who travel) safe travels in all of you trips.

The app I use is RVparky. It tells you all the places you can or cannot overnight at near your location or any location you enter. It also has a lot of reviews to help you decide which one to pick. I have found the reviews to be pretty accurate.

NoM, I get what you are saying.... But I look at it this way.... Just like food.... If you try a hamburger at McDonald's and it's horrible, it doesn't mean the hamburger at Red Robin will be horrible either. Similarly, it could have just been THAT location that was an issue.

At this point, in our travels, we have not had an issues. Granted, we never have stayed in a WalMart lot, but would if we had to. I do prefer the Flying J/Pilots or similar. The noise is okay by me as it's like "White Noise" and I find it soothing (although DW doesn't like it).

It just goes to show that not everyone is alike and what works for one, doesn't always work for others.

Either way, I wish you (and all who travel) safe travels in all of you trips.

Yes, I do get what you are saying, but because we were on a very stressful trip (got a call to come to the UF in Gainesville 'like now' as our son was extremely ill). We were already away from home 1,000 mi. and 600 from the university, so we drove straight, then couldn't find a campground at night, so in desperation went to that Walmart (looked fine) but we are now 'gun shy' and will never do WM, or others, with exception of Flying J ever again. Just our experience, I know! :goodvibes

The heavily traveled route going south is a tough one. Many of the Walmarts would be flooded with overnighters (especially ones right off the interstate) Be sure to always check before parking. We do the drive from Chicago and always stop half way at a campground. Safe. easy. happy travels!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter