Overnights at Walmart or Camping World on the drive down...

faithhelen

Earning My Ears
So I've read that most Walmarts, Camping Worlds, and some other places allow you to "camp" overnight. I'd really rather not have to book campgrounds for the trip down as my husband likes to just drive as far as he can then stop for a few hours to catch some zzz's.

We are coming from Minnesota and go through Iowa, Missouri, bottom of Illinois (we avoid Chicago like the plague for this drive!), Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, etc... Have any of you travelled this route and been able to stop at places like this for the night (or even a few hours)? Is there a good app for your phone to use to find such places? The Fort is our first big stop next summer and then we are still doing a couple more weeks of travel up the east coast before we head home.

Thanks in advance!

I have not traveled that route as I am NE PA, but I have stayed at truck stops and Wal Marts as well as rest stops.
Wal Marts and apparently Cracker Barrels too, will allow you to stay over night (Boondocking) but you should still check with the managers whenever possible. Also be considerate and don't extend slides or awnings and if at all possible patronize their establishment.

I have also spent nights at rest stops. Many say "No overnight camping" or have a 2 or 3 hour time limit posted, but I personally have not had an issue. I think most law enforcement have bigger things to worry about then checking to see if a traveler is staying more than 2 hours. Even if you do get questioned, be sure to let them know you are traveling through, and you were too tired to continue on, so you needed to rest. Most officers will not bother with you too much. If however, you are there for an extended (over 24 hours) or are "Making Camp" you could have bigger issues.

Don't know of an app. I just drive until I find a decent spot. Plenty of Wal Marts (and Sams Club) around if necessary.

So I've read that most Walmarts, Camping Worlds, and some other places allow you to "camp" overnight. I'd really rather not have to book campgrounds for the trip down as my husband likes to just drive as far as he can then stop for a few hours to catch some zzz's.

We are coming from Minnesota and go through Iowa, Missouri, bottom of Illinois (we avoid Chicago like the plague for this drive!), Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, etc... Have any of you travelled this route and been able to stop at places like this for the night (or even a few hours)? Is there a good app for your phone to use to find such places? The Fort is our first big stop next summer and then we are still doing a couple more weeks of travel up the east coast before we head home.

Thanks in advance!

I've seen RV's parked at plenty Walmarts - though others do have 'no overnight parking signs'. We've only stayed at one once in an emergency situation and had a scare with 'harassment' from some bikers, so we will not stay in areas like that again. (It was in a nice area also, but we were the only ones there and came in late)

We have stayed at a few Flying J's that have designated RV parking and we've felt safe there - though very noisy!! Also, you can rest a few hours at most rest areas even though they don't allow over nighters (at least the ones we noticed).

We have not stayed anywhere but a campground. I am concerned about security. A fellow camper responded to our concern, "Don't you carry a gun when camping?" Ah, no. He said, don't worry, everyone else does. What! I never even thought about it. What do you do?

Rule of thumb, if it looks shady... Then keep moving. Most Rest stops on the interstate aren't that bad.

If you carry a gun, you should NOT advertise that you have a gun. True with camping and in general (IMHO)

While it isn't the most prime real estate for stopping, a lot of highways have truck pull offs for truckers to pull over and have a safe spot (out of traffic) to sleep.

With Walmart I have learned it is always best to talk to the manager and let them know you're on your way to wherever and were getting tired, we'll be out of here first thing in the morning. Usually, even if they don't allow overnight parking, the manager will tell you that its fine.

As others have mentioned, truck stops are everywhere and offer a safe place to park.

I've found most places do not have an issue with overnight parking as long as you're not in the way.

Good rule of thumb is if you see a bunch of tractors there, its OK to stay.

We stayed at Walmart for the first time on the way to the Florida Keys. We talked to the security guard when we saw him drive by. The guard said that the lot is monitored 24 hrs and was very nice to us. I know we spent at least $400 that night between our 2 campers so it was a win win for both us and Walmart.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.PNG
    IMG_2188.PNG
    865.1 KB · Views: 16
We have not stayed anywhere but a campground. I am concerned about security. A fellow camper responded to our concern, "Don't you carry a gun when camping?" Ah, no. He said, don't worry, everyone else does. What! I never even thought about it. What do you do?

No, everyone else doesn't. :) There is no need to carry a gun camping unless you are boon-docking deep in the forest. My honest opinion on this that the only people who should be carrying guns is people who have been trained to use them properly - military, police, etc. Average citizens are much more likely to end up getting shot with their own gun, or injuring a family member, than actually using it as protection. As long as you're in a somewhat populated area, 911 is the much safer option.

We have guns at home, but never camping. The fellow camper who told you that sounds a bit paranoid to me. A can of bee/wasp spray can protect you will in a personal safety situation until the police can get there. The chances of ever having to use it are slim to none.

the only people who should be carrying guns is people who have been trained to use them properly - military, police, etc.
Hey.... That's ME! :dogdance: I was Military AND Police. :)

It's funny though, as I read your post, I agree. I do have a carry permit and have yet to bring my pistol with me camping (Have thought about it though). We do boondock along the way too and have had no issues. As a funny side note, when I went for my carry permit, the sheriff that was doing the processing was telling me of how many people (A LOT of them) were getting permits and have never even owned a gun before nevermind know how to handle and fire them. That's what scares me more:scared:

I think a dose of common sense is always warranted. Whether that involves a fire arm, can of bee/wasp spray, Pepper spray or something else, just be careful, safe and have fun.:flower1:

We stayed at Walmart for the first time on the way to the Florida Keys. We talked to the security guard when we saw him drive by. The guard said that the lot is monitored 24 hrs and was very nice to us. I know we spent at least $400 that night between our 2 campers so it was a win win for both us and Walmart.

That's why a lot of Walmarts will let you park there because they know you are likely to spend money. Oh yeah, and we also use the restroom!

Nice to know other fellow campers don't carry weapons while camping.
I carry my pocket knife. Actually it's on my belt, it's a Leatherman. I don't look at it as a weapon though, it's a tool. Sadly it's getting harder and harder to even carry that anywhere. Oh well, this is the world we live in now. :(

I carry my pocket knife. Actually it's on my belt, it's a Leatherman. I don't look at it as a weapon though, it's a tool. Sadly it's getting harder and harder to even carry that anywhere. Oh well, this is the world we live in now. :(

Yeah, my Gerber is a tool in my mind also. I had a cop get short with me one day because I didn't tell him about the knife that was in my car and I was like what knife? I just don't ever think about the knife part of it, plus it was inside my tool box.

Yeah, my Gerber is a tool in my mind also. I had a cop get short with me one day because I didn't tell him about the knife that was in my car and I was like what knife? I just don't ever think about the knife part of it, plus it was inside my tool box.
When I was a kid, all (or rather many) teenage (boys and some girls) carried a pocket knife to school. Not as a weapon but a tool. My dad was a school teacher and he also carried his as well. Didn't have the issues then that we do now. The knives that were carried by people that you had to worry about were switchblades and the stiletto type knives. (which also happen to be illegal in so many places).

In many ways, I am in the "Don't ask, don't tell" camp when it comes to weapons in general. The people who generally carry them quietly are not the issue, it's those that either brag about them are make a scene about them. What are you going to do though, right? When we go to the Fort in about a week, I will just leave my Leatherman in the Camper or truck. Don't want any issues.

DH found an app - I'll have to ask him what the name is and post it later - that shows which wal-marts do and don't allow overnight parking. We plan to stop at the Brunswick, GA Wal-Mart on our trip down in January. I'm not sure yet where we are going to stop coming home though - we drive from VA. We had originally planned to stop in Savannah, but those Wal-Marts do not allow overnight parking. I will say, the Wal-Marts where I live do not allow overnight parking of any kind. They are even funny about park and ride.

In many ways, I am in the "Don't ask, don't tell" camp when it comes to weapons in general. The people who generally carry them quietly are not the issue, it's those that either brag about them are make a scene about them. What are you going to do though, right? When we go to the Fort in about a week, I will just leave my Leatherman in the Camper or truck. Don't want any issues.

Dh has carried a pocket knife since we were married and it has come in handy many times. It's just part of him, 'until' one fine day at Disney when he was pulled aside for the 'extra' security detail. He still didn't think about it as he emptied his pockets, but the security guy did! He let him keep it, and go on, but told him to leave it behind next time!

Oh, the times we live in! :crazy2:

Dh has carried a pocket knife since we were married and it has come in handy many times. It's just part of him, 'until' one fine day at Disney when he was pulled aside for the 'extra' security detail. He still didn't think about it as he emptied his pockets, but the security guy did! He let him keep it, and go on, but told him to leave it behind next time!

Oh, the times we live in! :crazy2:
I believe I recall reading that story of yours on a different thread. I totally agree though.... "The Times we live in....."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts