DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

So she meant May 1 ,it was going to be you and spouse. Two weeks before trip, 2 grown kids can make trip after all, but can’t be added?
I’m going to guess the CM just meant they couldn’t adjust who is in the DAS party at the umbrellas in the park anymore after the changes take place. You would have to do it through Accessibility Services.

This is probably because the cast members at guest services stations in the parks will no longer be allowed to make the determination of whether someone should be able to add additional guests to their DAS. I imagine they can still assist with any issues in booking returns and using the app but they won’t be able to manage any of the registration process since they’ll have a dedicated accessibility team for that now.

Those people wouldn't have been allowed to get into the line thought, would they?
The scan happens when guests get to the entrance to the start of the actual line.
Usually that is when guests are entering the building or the sign at the front of the ride
please see my clarification above! The concern is that criteria Disney might consider should not include, focus, or reference a list of diagnoses. Even starting down a path of "developmental conditions such as austim" may be too constraining.
They are going on needs and concerns with waiting in line, not diagnosis.

I believe they specifically lists “developmental disabilities such as autism” because they were concerned about the same autism groups who filed lawsuits when GAC (Guest Assistance Card) was changed to DAS.
Registration Experience

I ended up registering in park at a blue umbrella today when the sun/heat started preventing me from joining lines. My first time ever registering (disability is fairly new) and party of two. I explained my need briefly and the CM approved. I was surprised she didn’t ask questions. She explained it’s good for 30 days, said nothing about the upcoming 10 minute wait, and reviewed the program is changing and that just because I was approved today doesn’t mean I will be in the future. She said in the future video registration at home would be required and didn’t mention the video service in the park. She also said when the changes happen they won’t be able to adjust who is included in the DAS party.
Thanks for your report.
The bolded doesn’t surprise me.
The information that Disney has released said that Accessibility/DAS is being removed from the Guest Relations group and being put into a new Accessibility Services Group of Disney CMs.
My guess was that the administration of DAS would be totally under that new group.
I’m guessing that Guest Relations/Guest Experience umbrellas will be able to help with the technical part of using DAS on the app, the same as they do for guests needing assistance with Genie*, but won’t be able to change anything connected with DAS

I’m so sorry 💔… uncertainty is the worst and being afraid something that was really amazingly wonderful might lose that amazing wonder is that is an awful place to be.

I hope you might give Disney a little time to get the transition worked out so you can see if the “new Disney”might work for you…

lots of chaos right now. Even CMs are being told different things on different days and by different people.

The dust will settle and I really think most people will find Disney is still a place they can make wonderful memories with their friends and family.

( of course ..Im not saying it’s wrong or anything if you decide exploring other places is the right thing for you and your family to do…
but I hope that everyone who wants to do more Disney trips feels welcomed and accommodated… and that people don’t feel forced to seek out other places to visit)

Wherever you go for family fun, I really hope it’s a wonderful trip and you make lots of awesome memories 💕🙂
We’re here. We’re making it work. But if we hadn’t had my sister with us I don’t know what we would have done. It’s in regards to their stroller wagon that we use as an ADA medical device for 3 disabled kids. They had to bring me and the kids back to the hotel and go back to the Star Wars nite. If I’d had their device I could have just come home with the kids. Only one child fits in a children’s stroller. We’ll need 2 adult strollers if we decide to come again. They don’t make double adult strollers. Another thing that could work is a stroller board. But it’s my understanding that it’s disallowed as something that is “towed” by the stroller.

Anecdotal evidence on a DAS routine goer. Parents of ASD tend to be on alert and especially so while we wait in the LL lines that have gotten longer ....

at least from the DLR side here out west we rarely encounter another DAS on the lead up to tapping in at the entrance. That's before and after us at the very least and several families ahead. --- so if really greater than 10% of parties, we would easily see this happen at least once a day. If it were 50% we'd be talking with them every single LL
This week in Disneyland I have not seen another blue ding. But that would just be the person in front of me. It’s been huge groups of people using LL blocking my view.

This has always been my solution to the people who climb up on you like this in line. It's so much easier to let them go ahead (and be someone else's problem!). The poking thing did warrant a comment though! Mom should have done something about that sooner.
Next time I’d mention it kindly and directly as soon as it happens once. “Your son poked me.” That’s not acceptable for anyone to do, disability or not. But I hear judgment from you in the “mom should have…”, if that's just an issue of this being a screen and I’m understanding incorrectly, please forgive me. Being “on” 24/7 with a child/ren with developmental disabilities is exhausting. Give mom the benefit of the doubt that she can’t notice every detail and mention it in a simple, factual, non-snide way ASAP.

Last edited:

Just as an fyi, the cast members are getting really persnickety about DAS at the actual rides.

Getting on Mine Train this weekend, I overhead the lightning lane person say: “I’m sick of these people with DAS. I’m not going to let anymore on until the line calms down”

I was approaching to scan for DAS, which made for an awakened moment.
Did you report that?

Reply is not working for me.
Anyway, I will definitely have my phone on when we get into lines and if I hear, "Getting on Mine Train this weekend, I overhead the lightning lane person say: “I’m sick of these people with DAS. I’m not going to let anymore on until the line calms down” you'd better believe I will drop by Guest Services and send an email when we get home. This is unacceptable.

Just as an fyi, the cast members are getting really persnickety about DAS at the actual rides.

Getting on Mine Train this weekend, I overhead the lightning lane person say: “I’m sick of these people with DAS. I’m not going to let anymore on until the line calms down”

Are they even allowed to tell someone who scanned in with a legit access to the LL that they can’t get on?

Yeah, there's no excuse for that. If you have the spoons, and have a general idea as to when you went to the ride, I'd send guest services an email now. A few days later is nothing.

I bite my tongue on most things, especially with strangers. I would struggle to do so hearing that. I wouldn't yell or abuse the CM. But I would make clear that the comment was rude and it would be reported.

I was solo parenting my seven year old this weekend and with the heat, I was just trying to go from ride to air conditioning. Didn’t get a chance.

But I’ve been noticing a lot of cast member against guest sentiment recently everywhere there. Seems like they’re increasingly frustrated with us.
I’d still e-mail now. Just the ride and approximate time. I’m sorry you heard that. How inappropriate!

When we get into lines and if I hear, “I’m sick of these people with DAS. I’m not going to let anymore on until the line calms down” you'd better believe I will drop by Guest Services and send an email when we get home. This is unacceptable. Hopefully, we won't have this experience.

Last edited:
Are they even allowed to tell someone who scanned in with a legit access to the LL that they can’t get on?
No, but if they’re stationed at a merge point they could choose to prioritize the standby line over the lightning lane and make someone wait because they’re “annoyed by all the DAS users” entering via lightning lane.

It shouldn’t be happening but they do control the flow and merging of lines so in theory they could make them wait longer before they get on depending on how the merging of lines works on the particular ride. I’m a DLR local so I can’t speak to Mine Train but I’m guessing the cast member meant they were going to hold the lightning lane and let standby go if the next party to scan in was DAS since they see DAS as people getting around “paying for LL”.

We’re here. We’re making it work. But if we hadn’t had my sister with us I don’t know what we would have done. It’s in regards to their stroller wagon that we use as an ADA medical device for 3 disabled kids. They had to bring me and the kids back to the hotel and go back to the Star Wars nite. If I’d had their device I could have just come home with the kids. Only one child fits in a children’s stroller. We’ll need 2 adult strollers if we decide to come again. They don’t make double adult strollers. Another thing that could work is a stroller board. But it’s my understanding that it’s disallowed as something that is “towed” by the stroller.
Oh wow… that is beyond frustrating to be there and not be able to use what you need. I’m so sorry.
Sending lots of hugs 💕

At this point, I honestly am not sure if this is actually what I read, or what I’ve extrapolated - perhaps mistakenly - from what I’ve read, so please correct me if it’s wrong… my understanding was that the LT data was conducted by watching tap-ins at HM, with the assumption that a blue light = DAS user, and then those who immediately follow the DAS user are their party.

I haven’t ever paid attention to the color of other people’s tap-ins, so despite my frequent park visits, I’ve not got even anecdotal data on that for comparison. I can say that HM is one of very few attractions at which I’ve ever seen a LL backup, so I understand using it as an example… but at the same time is it a fair comparison with the dozens of other attractions at which the LL rarely if ever back up? This feels like math and I’m not math-y. :rotfl:

One other thing I keep thinking about is perception of wait time and when does a LL wait end. Using HM as the example again, I’ve sometimes happened to arrive at the LL right behind multiple other parties and it takes a few minutes for them all to get tapped and into the actual queue: I don’t consider that part of my wait time. Once I’ve tapped in, I consider the LL wait time to be the walk from tapstiles to the point where LL merges with Standby - where we all congregate as a mass in the courtyard before the entry doors. Any additional waiting in that courtyard, in the stretching room, in the indoor portion of the queue, I do not consider part of the LL wait time, though it is part of my total amount of time waiting to board the ride. That distinction, depending on the attraction, can be a difference between a 5-min wait or a 20-min wait. I’d like to have a better understanding of what these reports of rampant 30+ minute waits for LL users are based on, because while a 30+ minute wait could be problematic for a DAS user in general, if only 5 mins of that was in the actual LL lane, the DAS/LL isn’t the problem. Maybe it’s a problem in that if most of that HM courtyard is full of DAS/LL users, it’s causing longer waits in Standby, but reducing the number of DAS parties entering via LL isn’t going to change how long the wait is from merge point to ride boarding for everyone: that’s still going to be filled to capacity on a busy day, as are the stretching rooms and indoor queue. ETA: I mean to mention, too, that I frequently submit wait time data to the TP app and it specifically wants users to wait to hit Submit until they are *about to board*, so their data is including the LL AND the merged wait when LL wait time data is entered by users.
No, that is not the case. The TouringPlans team counts people going into standby and LL lines all the time. It’s their business. They didn’t count blue lights vs green lights. They just counted the number of people entering the lightening lane. If you want to understand what they did, listen to his podcast on 12/4 (17 min mark). If you want to understand the 75% stat, listen to his podcast (Disney dish) from last Monday (4/15)

I have only had one really bad experience with a CM:

DD had a full on panic attack during the GoTG pre-show. She started crying/screaming and begging to leave the room. I asked a CM standing by an exit to let us out and she refused, no matter how much my daughter screamed and I begged. Other people around us asked her as well, but she was unmoved. She waited until the pre-show ended to let us leave, but instead of letting us take the emergency exit, she forced me to walk back through the LL carrying DD in my arms, still screaming. It was awful,

I emailed Disney and explained what happened in detail, including time and a description of the CM. I received a canned response a week later, saying that the CM had acted in the interest of guest safety.

I will never waste my time complaining again.

Yep was going to say the same thing. Not only is the person watching invasive they are collecting incorrect data. We’ve had DAS one time in 2 parks over lots of trips. We got blue lighted many times before ever getting DAS-typically if we were a tad bit early.
They’re not looking at the lights.

Were the "watchers" looking to see if these people got in the line or were they concentrating on the blue light? There is no way of knowing w/out them weighing in.
All they did was count the number of people entering the lightening lane. They don’t care what color light comes up when they scan in. They purely count bodies entering the LL queue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter