Our numbers are 1, 5, 17, 33, and 1901. A very magical day at Disney: 5/30 complete!

What a fantastic evening! Boo on the lackluster service. Loving Chloe's photos, especially the lift or stairs, that must have been quick picture taking.

Great update on dinner. It looks like a wonderful night for the family.

:goodvibes Super wonderful, thank you.​

I am glad that I caught this before heading to the airport in a little over two hours. What a truly magical evening you had even if service could have been a bit better. I loved all the photos. I can't believe that I will be at Grand Californian tonight and at Disneyland tomorrow ( here in the UK, it is already May 16th).

Corinna

You're on your way or here! :woohoo: Hope you had a good flight and are having a wonderful trip. Can't wait to read all about it. The GCV is amazing- my favorite. :cloud9:

Of course, in fact Fran had me buy another sour cream (even though I knew we had plenty left) It was great. You can crash the new house. We don't let anyone in this one it's awful. PIO got a special one day pass, but we are so overstuffed (think hoarders) that we need our new 5-6 bedroom house with family room and oversized living room to fit everything in so that we don't look like the house was recently tossed!

Hoarders?:rotfl2: A new, bigger house will be amazing. Can't wait to see the HM room. :thumbsup2

Hi there! I know you were running out of adjectives but I have to say that was a FABULOUS meal! Chloe did a great job with the photos. Just wow! The memories for you and your family will be so amazing!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your evening! :)

Its all about the memories. pixiedust: Hopefully I'll be able to finish up this weekend.​

Love reading your TR! I am doing "reasearch" to try and plan a first trip to DL for my family. We've been to WDW a lot but I feel like I'm starting all over again in my Disney knowledgel trying to plan something to DL.

Awesome dinner at Club 33 and Chloe did a great job with pictures. Can't wait to hear about the rest.

Christine

Thanks Christine. :goodvibes If you've got planning questions, this is the place. Ask away. Where are you staying? When are you going? That's exactly how I felt when planning our first trip to WDW. They really are quite different in many ways. The Disneyland Resort area is much smaller though than WDW so it's a lot easier to plan.​

I'm in awe! That just looks amazing!!!

Amanda

:thanks: Amanda. It was fabulous to say the least. It was such a different park day, unlike any other we've ever had.​

This has to be the most amazing whirlwind DL day ever. How wonderful to get opportunities to go to both 1901 and Club 33!

I am really enjoying your report and I have to say your family is just too adorable. All of you! :)

Thank you Stacy and :welcome: It was a total whirlwind and I'm glad we got so may photos.​

What a fantastic evening! Boo on the lackluster service. Loving Chloe's photos, especially the lift or stairs, that must have been quick picture taking.

Yeah, the main server lacked but the assistant server and tour guide were both amazing. :thumbsup2 She was speedy for sure and bopped around during dinner to take photos. It wasn't very busy which was nice because she could snap photos without being intrusive.​

Love all the photos! Chloe did an awesome job!!

It looks like you really had a magical time!

Thank you! It was magical. I know I keep saying that :blush: but I've run out of adjectives. :laughing:

I am hopelessly behind.:rolleyes1 This may take me days.

:goodvibes There's not that much to catch up on. The whole report is just about one day. :rotfl2: Hope you're settling in well to the new house and working out the rebuild with the contractor. Did you choose one yet?​

Thank you! It was magical. I know I keep saying that :blush: but I've run out of adjectives. :laughing:

:goodvibes There's not that much to catch up on. The whole report is just about one day. :rotfl2: Hope you're settling in well to the new house and working out the rebuild with the contractor. Did you choose one yet?​

We're okay. I need to send you a message on Facebook. I don't to bore anyone with the crazy rental house stuff. I did pick a contractor I haven't told them yet but the one that was playing touchy feely on my leg isn't getting the contract. I am funny that way.

Wow! What a day! Looks and sounds like a fantastic day in the parks.

It really was Shannon. Having only one day provided it's challenges though for sure. I think this was the first and only time I've ever been to Disneyland and didn't ride IASW. :faint: I felt a little incomplete when I left. ;) And now the kids keep asking: are we going to ride such-and-such on our next trip? We skipped so many things and it was well worth it but they're really wanting another trip to just ride ride ride. Of course they're also asking when we can go back to Club 33. :rotfl:

We're okay. I need to send you a message on Facebook. I don't to bore anyone with the crazy rental house stuff. I did pick a contractor I haven't told them yet but the one that was playing touchy feely on my leg isn't getting the contract. I am funny that way.

Glad you found a contractor. :thumbsup2 yes, please message me on FB.​

Club 33 looks so beautiful! Thanks for all the great pictures.

:welcome: and thank you. It's been fun sharing the photos and reliving the day. Club 33 is unbelievable. You can tell so much heart went in to creating it and maintaining it.

I'm hoping to finish this report through the weekend.​

Thanks Christine. :goodvibes If you've got planning questions, this is the place. Ask away. Where are you staying? When are you going? That's exactly how I felt when planning our first trip to WDW. They really are quite different in many ways. The Disneyland Resort area is much smaller though than WDW so it's a lot easier to plan.​

Isn't planning almost as much fun as the trip itself??? I'm tentatively planning for October 2014 as my youngest will be five and I think up for a cross country plane flight (or maybe I think I will be brave enough to take her by then)! My plans right now are to stay at DLH since, to me, it seems like the hotel that screams DL. When I saw your pictures of the teacup chairs in the lobby I was in awe, only Disney would do that! We love WL at WDW and the Grand Californian seems a lot like WL so I think we would rather stay somewhere that is more DL. Does that make sense? :confused3

Although I realized this past week in my research that I stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel in the early 90's when I was in Anaheim for a HS conference/competition. We watched the smoke from the Rodney King riots from the pool on the roof. I remember staring out the window at the parking lot of Disneyland (now I know that parking lot is California Adventure!) wondering why we couldn't go in. Being from FL they thought that none of us would want to go to DL since we could go to WDW anytime we wanted and took us to Knott's Berry Farm instead. No offense to Knott's but I am still bitter about this!:lmao:

I'm loving learning about DL. Has anyone gone to the Halloween party at DL? We have gone to MNSSHP at WDW for the past three years and wondered how the two compare. When reading about them it seems like DL is more decorated for the season with the Haunted Mansion overlay and everything.

Christine

Isn't planning almost as much fun as the trip itself??? I'm tentatively planning for October 2014 as my youngest will be five and I think up for a cross country plane flight (or maybe I think I will be brave enough to take her by then)! My plans right now are to stay at DLH since, to me, it seems like the hotel that screams DL. When I saw your pictures of the teacup chairs in the lobby I was in awe, only Disney would do that! We love WL at WDW and the Grand Californian seems a lot like WL so I think we would rather stay somewhere that is more DL. Does that make sense? :confused3

::yes:: Planning is so much fun! I like to plan and then report. The prep lasts 10x longer than the actual trip. ;)

The DLH is totally Disney! Its so great and the little touches are everywhere. The GCH is a little like the WL but updated. Its truly stunning. If it's an option, don't count it out. Its fabulous. The rooms are much nicer at the GC. The grounds though are similar.​

Although I realized this past week in my research that I stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel in the early 90's when I was in Anaheim for a HS conference/competition. We watched the smoke from the Rodney King riots from the pool on the roof. I remember staring out the window at the parking lot of Disneyland (now I know that parking lot is California Adventure!) wondering why we couldn't go in. Being from FL they thought that none of us would want to go to DL since we could go to WDW anytime we wanted and took us to Knott's Berry Farm instead. No offense to Knott's but I am still bitter about this!:lmao:

I lived in CA during the riots, LA County, and we had a curfew every night. We'd have curfew keg parties. :rotfl:

Knott's is fun but I'd be bitter too. My kids still haven't been to Knott's. I can't seem to tear us away from Disney when we visit the area.​

I'm loving learning about DL. Has anyone gone to the Halloween party at DL? We have gone to MNSSHP at WDW for the past three years and wondered how the two compare. When reading about them it seems like DL is more decorated for the season with the Haunted Mansion overlay and everything.

Christine

I've only been to the party at WDW so I can't comment but we were at Disneyland in October 2009 and saw a ton of people dressed for the party. I think its the same premise but WDW's is bigger. The HM overlay is amazing- do not miss it! if you like The Nightmare Before Christmas, you'll love it. The HM seems so naked to me without it. It's stellar. Plus Disneyland's IASW kicks butt over MK's as does POTC. Splash is better at MK and of course WDW has the Country Bears are CoP (two of my favorites) but Disneyland has the Mr. Toad, the Matterhorn, The Storybook Boats (which your DD will love especially at night), and Alice. The breakfast options inside DL are far better than at MK.

The bottom link in my signature is a Disneyland trip report if you're interested.​

Christine

I've heard that WDW's party is better, someone who did both complained that there was no headless horseman in the parade. I'm sure it is different, but they try just as much to make it cool.

I'm sorry you didn't get to go to DL Knott's is OK, the Chicken Dinner restaurant is one of the best parts! The riots were awful. It was my birthday and we told everyone to come to my party and stay the night since there was a curfew. :lmao:

I hope coming back you have a better experience!

I've heard that WDW's party is better, someone who did both complained that there was no headless horseman in the parade. I'm sure it is different, but they try just as much to make it cool.

I'm sorry you didn't get to go to DL Knott's is OK, the Chicken Dinner restaurant is one of the best parts! The riots were awful. It was my birthday and we told everyone to come to my party and stay the night since there was a curfew. :lmao:

I hope coming back you have a better experience!

I agree, the chicken dinner is one of the best parts of Knott's. When we picked it up during our last trip to Cali, the kids went with me and said that while Knott's couldn't be as cool as Disneyland, they'd be willing to give it a try. :rotfl:

Your bday was during the riots? Were you in Long Beach? I was. Crazy crazy time.​

After a wonderful dinner and more wine, it was time for dessert. We were absolutely stuffed and I even had the remainder of my meal wrapped to go. We knew we wanted a little something sweet and although we hadn't met our minimum per person, we just couldn't see ordering 5 desserts.

Just two weeks prior I had been for the first time for my birthday (during lunch) and was served this creamy chocolate Mickey Mousse. I had told our assistant server it was Michael's birthday and was hoping he'd be able to have it too. He did. :woohoo:

DSC05630_zps3de00b07.jpg

It's as cute as it is delicious.

The kids wanted to try the Deconstructed S'more. Here's a photo after they tore into it. I didn't try it, I was beyond full:

DSC05635_zps7d2e697a.jpg

After dessert, it was time for our tour of Club 33. Believe it or not, F! was set to start in about 40 minutes so our timing was perfect to take the tour and then watch F! from the balcony. :cloud9: We gave the kids the option of staying for the tour or bailing and they chose to stay. They also really wanted to see F!, even with an obstructed view, from high up. Who could blame them? ;) It was pretty fantastic!

We met Justin; our very sweet, enthusiastic, and knowledgable tour guide. I'd be lying if I could tell you every tidbit of info he shared with us. I didn't take a single note and enjoyed every minute of the tour. I will do my best here but the pics are fun regardless of the lack of info. The photos haven't been edited in any way.

The harpsichord. I was elated to find out that Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney had sat right there and played. :thumbsup2

DSC05637_zps9a319e47.jpg

DSC05638_zps56584f90.jpg

DSC05639_zps31cdd3ad.jpg

DSC05640_zps04ac2d11.jpg

The grandfather clock that had not been wound, notice the time is incorrect:

DSC05641_zps6ec4ff51.jpg

DSC05642_zps12c66aca.jpg

DSC05643_zps788c5e95.jpg

DSC05645_zps656d198c.jpg

DSC05646_zps863bb808.jpg

Animatronic vulture who apparently, back in the day, was able to converse with guests:

DSC05647_zps9e0b7ff6.jpg

Microphones *hidden* in the chandeliers enabled the buzzard to chime in on conversations:

DSC05649_zpsc8e0c23d.jpg

Trophy Room:

DSC05650_zps2962ba15.jpg

DSC05652_zps98b0f453.jpg

Us with our very sweet host Justin:

DSC05653_zpsf36d1cd1.jpg

DSC05654_zps4e814591.jpg

DSC05655_zps578dea4d.jpg

Justin with the one eyed duck. Legend has it that some guests, may years ago, tried to steal said duck. At the time he still had two eyes. Security did retrieve the duck but during his hostage, lost an eye. He remains, the one eye duck.

DSC05658_zps233feefd.jpg

DSC05659_zps94fb82e2.jpg

Continued in next post....​

We had been into the bathrooms but failed to get photos or I can't seem to locate them. These are bathroom photos from my birthday lunch.

The outside of the ladies' room:

The infamous commode:

After the tour, it was time for F! In fact, we forgot all about F! until we heard the booming and music. We scurried out to the balcony. We found some spots to sit and although there were some trees, it was still 100% better than waiting two hours for a prime spot. There were quite a few people out there, must have been everyone from the dining room.

Forgive the blur but even blurry, it's so fun to look back and remember what an amazing evening we had.

DSC05661_zps7b464623.jpg

DSC05662_zpsf21f5dc4.jpg

From inside:

DSC05665_zps55ebf5de.jpg

Back outside. I was really surprised how accommodating the staff was to people going in and out onto the balcony. It felt very festive.

DSC05666_zps38612a94.jpg

DSC05667_zpsdf88eb35.jpg

DSC05668_zpsf13d4690.jpg

We stayed for almost the entire show but knew it would be madness so we left right before it ended and was able to watch the rest from outside Club 33. We didn't buy any souvenirs. Its hard to explain but we were on such a high and stopping to shop, didn't seem to match the moment so we didn't.

We paid the tab. not an inexpensive meal by any sense but totally worth it. Before we left, we grabbed our bags, and the host was kind enough to offer the kids to use the bathroom behind the check in desk so they could change.

He was a cute kid and told us to change shoes, etc whatever we needed before we left.

It had been a magical night at Club 33 and one I'll never forget. It was one of the more meaningful dinners we've shared as a family (aside from bat mitzvahs). Being in a very special place with the people I love most in this world is just more than I could ever ask for. :lovestruc

Up next: some final rides and final thoughts.

I agree, the chicken dinner is one of the best parts of Knott's. When we picked it up during our last trip to Cali, the kids went with me and said that while Knott's couldn't be as cool as Disneyland, they'd be willing to give it a try. :rotfl:

Your bday was during the riots? Were you in Long Beach? I was. Crazy crazy time.​

I lived in Northridge during the riots, it was crazy watching the news!

This table was used in the movie Mary Poppins.

DSC05638_zps56584f90.jpg

This was used in the Happiest Millionaire

DSC05645_zps656d198c.jpg

DSC05647_zps9e0b7ff6.jpg

Microphones *hidden* in the chandeliers enabled the *buzzard* to chime in on conversations:

Actually the animatronics were never finished or hooked up.

DSC05649_zpsc8e0c23d.jpg

Loved the one eyed duck story! I've never heard that one. I'm glad you had such a magical evening!

What a fabulous evening! All the details and stories behind everything is fascinatinng. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

The view from the balcony during F! looks totally worth it - even compared to those that waited so long to get seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter