Our little thread of BIG Resort Changes~2013 Spring RC installment

Status
Not open for further replies.
:goodvibes thank you everyone for the birthday wishes!

Linda is the lack of Internet & Cell service due to the earthquake? I should really think about adding earthquake insurance on to our house insurance! Here on the west coast you never know :eek:

For all of us going to Florida this summer during Hurricane season, be sure you have trip interruption insurance. They are predicting an active season this year :scared1: the Atlantic Ocean is heating up.

I recall the summer we were in Ft Lauderdale Pre wdw, and the ocean was so warm it felt like a bathtub. Then we went up to Orlando for a Universal/SeaWorld vacay. Flew home the day Katrina hit. We were early enough that flights were still going out. The outer bands were coming in. It was so strange looking up at the sky. Never saw clouds moving that fast, and one minute the sky would be black and raining, the next minute the sun was out. Katrina kinda just grazed Florida. But that is the closest I want to come to a hurricane. However, if one comes, I'd feel safe in a wdw resort.

I just hope if a hurricane comes this August, it waits till I'm at wdw! Cause my first 10 days I'll be at a beach resort in Lauderdale :beach: Def. not where I'd want to be in a hurricane!

Lack of internet is just me being cheap. I hated to pay for it when I wasn't here much in the winter .... DH never uses the internet so it was just for me. I'm making do with my phone.

:goodvibes thank you everyone for the birthday wishes!

Linda is the lack of Internet & Cell service due to the earthquake? I should really think about adding earthquake insurance on to our house insurance! Here on the west coast you never know :eek:

For all of us going to Florida this summer during Hurricane season, be sure you have trip interruption insurance. They are predicting an active season this year :scared1: the Atlantic Ocean is heating up.

I recall the summer we were in Ft Lauderdale Pre wdw, and the ocean was so warm it felt like a bathtub. Then we went up to Orlando for a Universal/SeaWorld vacay. Flew home the day Katrina hit. We were early enough that flights were still going out. The outer bands were coming in. It was so strange looking up at the sky. Never saw clouds moving that fast, and one minute the sky would be black and raining, the next minute the sun was out. Katrina kinda just grazed Florida. But that is the closest I want to come to a hurricane. However, if one comes, I'd feel safe in a wdw resort.

I just hope if a hurricane comes this August, it waits till I'm at wdw! Cause my first 10 days I'll be at a beach resort in Lauderdale :beach: Def. not where I'd want to be in a hurricane!

Sue I agree totally about buying Trip insurance as it looks like we are in for a wild summer. The storm tht took out trees and our power on Thursday was what they call a Microburst. Essentially it is similar to a Mini localized tornado and I have to say it was scarey, I pray I never see a real tornado. Hurricanes I can take, at least you can prepare for them.

I think Bob might be more carefull taking his meds after yesterday, he fell asleep at the wheel and nearly had a headon collision.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend, I was hopeing to get out to the cemeteries but if the weather will cooperate

Wookie.... your advice is spot on! Thanks for your kind words, and for making me feel like I am not crazy for thinking of giving up the Diva trip! I would really like to go and enjoy with like-minded lovely ladies, but 2K is alot of money, and you are right, it will definitely ease the financial stress to know that the only trip I need to focus on saving for is DS's grad trip. I talked to DH about an hour ago, and threw it by him that I am thinking of cancelling, and he agreed I should -I told him how bummed I was that I wasn't able to go with our Dear Christine now, and I felt a bit of a damper was put on my excitement. He said I should just save for our trip with DS , and he'd even come along to be my partner = DS and GF can do their thing, and we can do our thing was his words! :beach: Sharing Disney time with my honey sounds like just what I would LOVE!! :)
So, as much as it pains me, I think I've decided that this might be a better use of my money right now.....Diva trip will still be around in a few years, I hope when my kiddos are gone from the house, and I am pining for some fun with the girls! :)

I'm glad I could help. I'm sure the trip with your DS will be amazing.

My Birthday is Saturday :cheer2: and going to steal the Birthday Mimosa idea ;) so maybe the diet will have to take a 1 day break :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you are having an amazing day!!

By golly we just had an earthquake .... I know California is known for earthquakes but we don't really get them here in the central valley. It was a 5.9 and centered about 200 miles from here. It was really strange to feel my couch move .... DH thought the dog was behind his chair bumping it! Doesn't seem to be much damage even at the center. Thank goodness .....

A girl I went to high school with, posted something about it on her FB page. I would have been terrified. I know we have to deal with the possibility of tornadoes here, but there is something terrifying about earthquakes. I just don't like the idea of the Earth opening up and swallowing me whole.

So we had a wicked storm blow through complete with hail and winds that took down a tree around the corner from me so we lost power from 4-6:30pm. It was very humid but at least power came back before sunset.

Bella was up on the couch next to me, first crack of thunder she becomes my buddy but when the hail started and the winds picked up she about knocked me off trying to crawl behind me. I have to say her reaction scared the piss out of me! I thought we were having a tornado with the wind and hail and poof no power all at once. :scared:

I'm so sorry you have nasty storms. My mom's babies are the same way about storms. They just shake and shake. I'm glad y'all didn't have any worse damage. We had storms last night, but it was just rain, a little wind, thunder and lightning.

Wookie - any updates on the puppy? Is it still a possibility?

We drove by the house with the puppies today and even though the woman was outside, she didn't have any puppies outside. We are putting off thinking about thinking about getting a puppy. If we get one before our WDW trip, then the inlaws would have to watch it while we are at WDW. I would rather not have to ask them to do it.

so it's been a crazy week here. Our oldest graduated from 8th grade. We are so very proud of her. She received many awards and a couple of scholarships for high school. I spent some one on one time with her this week and it was great. She is definitely growing up but I am proud of who she is becoming.

Today is the last day of school for my other two kids! I need to go put them on the bus! Have a wonderful holiday weekend everyone!

Congrats to the DD on the 8th grade graduation!! Y'all have a wonderful weekend as well.

Wookster: We quite enjoyed CHH. Also, Pinocchio's Haus had some pretty tasty flatbreads.

Thank you. I'll have to show those menus to the DH.

Seems to be a running theme around here with kiddos acting up before vacations... or 3-day weekends. :confused3 Had a huge dose of it last night. I'm not cancelling but I sure was considering it. :rolleyes: Eesh. Today's a new day... and if it isn't a good one, I'll beat some goodness into it by this evening -- or die trying. :laughing: (Today's a workout day.)

You could just always slip some Melatonin into their food. (ok, totally joking)

:rotfl::thumbsup2
So funny you should ask and I'm going a bit :offtopic: here:flower3:, but booking cabins in the Smokies is nothing like booking Disney. All of them require payment in full about 14-30 days prior to arrival with no refunds for cancelations at that point and no changes allowed. Some will let you apply your payment to a future stay, but that's about it for any flexibility.

The resort we chose in Gatlinburg, actually has an insurance policy that you can add to your booking. I asked DH if we should add it even though it would be $175 (it's 6% of the cost). Without it we could still cancel up to 14 days prior and only lose a $45 admin. fee and they'd apply the first night's deposit to a future stay. DH said, "A lot can happen two weeks before a trip":rolleyes1 and we'd lose thousands, so as you can imagine, I'm adding the insurance. Most TN resorts don't offer it as an option so I see it as a sign that this is the resort for us (and all RCs;)).
I'm not a Facebooker, but I've done a lot of research - that's part of the fun, isn't it? We love all the amenities the cabins offer and the amazing views and privacy. This one has the arcade style game system I have to have, hot tub, jacuzzi, flat screens everywhere, fire pit and hammock, 3 baths for 3 people:laughing:, pool table... It's 2000 SF of Smoky Mt. FUN!

I would love to go to the Gatlinburg area someday. The mil and fil have been several times, and keep telling us that we would love it.

I like option B Koh....:goodvibes

Sad here, a sister of one of DH's summer students at work that goes to the local high school committed suicide last night. :sad: Apparently due to cyber and facebook bullying and reputation. I am just so sad and sickened by the trend of todays teens. It is such a scary world our kids are growing up in. One mistake and it is plastered all over the internet...to them ruining their lives.

Sorry, just wanted to share.

That is so terrible. It is such a scary world. I know my kids are 14 and 15, but things like that are part of the reason I don't let me DSs do not have use of their own FB page.

I think Bob might be more carefull taking his meds after yesterday, he fell asleep at the wheel and nearly had a headon collision.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend, I was hopeing to get out to the cemeteries but if the weather will cooperate

OMG, that is terrible. I am glad he is ok.

I am having a great weekend so far. The DH took yesterday off, and we went to see a movie. We ended up watching Fast & Furious 6. I would just expecting to enjoy watching Vin Diesel and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson. It was actually better than I thought it was going to be.

Then today, the DH forced me to do something. He forced me to add another night stay to our WDW trip. (o, the horror) We are now staying 9/8- 9/14. Also, we added another park day. This will make us visiting the park on 2 days (one of which is our new arrival day) and then MNSSHP. The DH talked for a good 2 1/2 hours about the trip. He is now thinking, since we will have extra time in the MK, that we will do BoG at lunch as well. We moved a couple of parks days and ADRs around. I need to change my tickers, but now we're only 106 days away from our first AKL check-in. :banana: :banana: The odd thing is, it was the DH that wanted to have more time at Disney. He was the one that suggested it.

Happy birthday, Sue and Melissa!!

Janet - I am enrolled in an online course for online teaching (the ins and outs). If I do well and still think it'd be a good fit, then I think I'm in. :-). Also applied for an opening at the school where I finished my subbing (and doing summer school there too) so we'll see!

I'm thinking my option B (although I'd like to try RR still sometime) is looking better...just for ease of ADRs...I generally prefer only 2 a day...that being said, we have 3 on our HS/MK EMH day...Hollywood and vine for breakfast and 50s Primetime for lunch...then Tony's for dinner at MK before EMH...hmmm...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm glad I could help. I'm sure the trip with your DS will be amazing.

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you are having an amazing day!!

A girl I went to high school with, posted something about it on her FB page. I would have been terrified. I know we have to deal with the possibility of tornadoes here, but there is something terrifying about earthquakes. I just don't like the idea of the Earth opening up and swallowing me whole.

I'm so sorry you have nasty storms. My mom's babies are the same way about storms. They just shake and shake. I'm glad y'all didn't have any worse damage. We had storms last night, but it was just rain, a little wind, thunder and lightning.

We drove by the house with the puppies today and even though the woman was outside, she didn't have any puppies outside. We are putting off thinking about thinking about getting a puppy. If we get one before our WDW trip, then the inlaws would have to watch it while we are at WDW. I would rather not have to ask them to do it.

Congrats to the DD on the 8th grade graduation!! Y'all have a wonderful weekend as well.

Thank you. I'll have to show those menus to the DH.

You could just always slip some Melatonin into their food. (ok, totally joking)

I would love to go to the Gatlinburg area someday. The mil and fil have been several times, and keep telling us that we would love it.

That is so terrible. It is such a scary world. I know my kids are 14 and 15, but things like that are part of the reason I don't let me DSs do not have use of their own FB page.

OMG, that is terrible. I am glad he is ok.

I am having a great weekend so far. The DH took yesterday off, and we went to see a movie. We ended up watching Fast & Furious 6. I would just expecting to enjoy watching Vin Diesel and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson. It was actually better than I thought it was going to be.

Then today, the DH forced me to do something. He forced me to add another night stay to our WDW trip. (o, the horror) We are now staying 9/8- 9/14. Also, we added another park day. This will make us visiting the park on 2 days (one of which is our new arrival day) and then MNSSHP. The DH talked for a good 2 1/2 hours about the trip. He is now thinking, since we will have extra time in the MK, that we will do BoG at lunch as well. We moved a couple of parks days and ADRs around. I need to change my tickers, but now we're only 106 days away from our first AKL check-in. :banana: :banana: The odd thing is, it was the DH that wanted to have more time at Disney. He was the one that suggested it.

Wookie Congrates on adding another day to your trip! Good idea about waiting on getting a pup until after vacation.

Ooh...just thought of another idea!! Thinking aloud here, but feel free to put in two cents. :-)

Raglan Road vs 50s Primetime...?

Maybe canceling lunch at PT and do CS at HS instead for lunch...then Kona for dinner before EMH at MK that evening (instead of Tony's)...then instead of dinner at Kona or Raglan on resort day, we could do Primetime for HS EMH that night?

Sorry, I'm itching to make changes since I've promised not to touch the resort side of things! :-)

Just stopping in quickly....

Thank you for the birthday wishes :) Wishing Sue a very happy birthday as well!!!

Having an amazing weekend....pool, beach, lobster, steamers, chocolate ganache cake, mimosas, vodka, etc :) oh and, BRUINS take the series!!!!!

Wishing everyone an amazing weekend!

HUGS
Melissa

Happy birthday Melissa and sue!!

Hope to try to catch up...busy at work :(

Cross your fingers ladies. I took my minivan in this morning to have it looked at. I have been smelling a maple syrup smell since this past weekend. The DH finally saw a leak on Friday. When we took it in today, they said it could be about $400-500. Hopefully, it will just be the $200 possibility and not the more expensive one.

Oh, also, my mil and fil warned me about this and I thought I would warn y'all. They had the brakes done on their Nissian truck at a dealership. When they gave them the quote they didn't tell them about these two fees. They didn't find out about them until they went to charge them. They charged them $50 to dispose of the brake shoes and brakes they took off their truck and like $5-10 dollars to store the records of them putting the parts on. I could understand the disposal fee if it had been a part, the company had a core charge on, but that it not the case with brakes. Anyway, it's just something to ask about when having work done on your car at an actual dealership.

Cross your fingers ladies. I took my minivan in this morning to have it looked at. I have been smelling a maple syrup smell since this past weekend. The DH finally saw a leak on Friday. When we took it in today, they said it could be about $400-500. Hopefully, it will just be the $200 possibility and not the more expensive one.

Oh, also, my mil and fil warned me about this and I thought I would warn y'all. They had the brakes done on their Nissian truck at a dealership. When they gave them the quote they didn't tell them about these two fees. They didn't find out about them until they went to charge them. They charged them $50 to dispose of the brake shoes and brakes they took off their truck and like $5-10 dollars to store the records of them putting the parts on. I could understand the disposal fee if it had been a part, the company had a core charge on, but that it not the case with brakes. Anyway, it's just something to ask about when having work done on your car at an actual dealership.

*crossing my fingers for you*

Ooh...just thought of another idea!! Thinking aloud here, but feel free to put in two cents. :-)

Maybe canceling lunch at PT and do CS at HS instead for lunch...then Kona for dinner before EMH at MK that evening (instead of Tony's)...then instead of dinner at Kona or Raglan on resort day, we could do Primetime for HS EMH that night?

Sorry, I'm itching to make changes since I've promised not to touch the resort side of things! :-)

Krystal I am the same way with tweeking my ADRs.

Just stopping in quickly....

Thank you for the birthday wishes :) Wishing Sue a very happy birthday as well!!!

Having an amazing weekend....pool, beach, lobster, steamers, chocolate ganache cake, mimosas, vodka, etc :) oh and, BRUINS take the series!!!!!

Wishing everyone an amazing weekend!

HUGS
Melissa

Melissa Your weekend end sounds Fantastic! Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday Melissa and sue!!

Hope to try to catch up...busy at work :(

Jeanette Don't work too hard :hug:

Wookie those extra charges are just crazy :eek:

Happy Birthday, Sue!!

Thanks!

Lack of internet is just me being cheap. I hated to pay for it when I wasn't here much in the winter .... DH never uses the internet so it was just for me. I'm making do with my phone.
Lol!

Sue I agree totally about buying Trip insurance as it looks like we are in for a wild summer. The storm tht took out trees and our power on Thursday was what they call a Microburst. Essentially it is similar to a Mini localized tornado and I have to say it was scarey, I pray I never see a real tornado. Hurricanes I can take, at least you can prepare for them.

Wow that sounds so scary!

50's has the best fried chicken ever!

Thanks everyone for the pixiedust: Birthday Wishes. Had a nice day, my daughters took me out to see Star Trek :goodvibes then had a family dinner, husband made a nice BBQ with bacon wrapped tenderloin, birthday cake, and presents! Monday my girlfriends are taking me out to dinner.

Thanks everyone for the pixiedust: Birthday Wishes. Had a nice day, my daughters took me out to see Star Trek :goodvibes then had a family dinner, husband made a nice BBQ with bacon wrapped tenderloin, birthday cake, and presents! Monday my girlfriends are taking me out to dinner.

Sounds like a great birthday!! :-)

Kook and Miss thanks for the birthday wishes :goodvibes

Marie sometimes it's hard, but I think you made the right decision for you!
On another note, what's with that Edmonton truck driver? Dont they explain up thete your not suppose to Take out the bridge on I-5, :rotfl: hope they have another bridge up or can fix that one by August when I have to drive down for my Florida flight ::yes::

JennyJinx :thumbsup2 about BC CL :banana:
Sorry about DHs student. So sad. A school secretary's (in my district) daughter committed suicide this year fir the same reason. Some high school kids can be so terribly mean, it makes me sick.

Koh. Hard decision, I've ate at all but Crystal Palace. So if you haven't tried Raglan Road, I'd do that option.

Hi Sue :) I know he's an Alberta truck driver -- I hadn't heard he was from Edmonton! I hope they have the bridge fixed or a decent detour by the time you drive down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter