Our Disney Magic Adventure 2/13/10 to 2/20/10 Operation Disney lines........

PURTYPAT1

DIS Veteran
Disney Adventure 2/13 to 2/20 Operation Disney lines........

We had a real Disney Adventure last week & made the best of crazy situation.

There were 4 of us booked our rooms Cat 9 2146 & 2148
Husbands couldn't take off from work so 2 friends & 2 Moms made this our Mother Daughter cruise

Our cast:

Myself Patricia
DD Jenna 15
Angela
DD Mary 15

Today Friday 2/12 we left Newark airport for Orlando; uneventful flight. TIP: pack a light snack or breakfast in your carry on luggage. Continental gave us a cupcake for breakfast with a beverage. I bought bagels with cream cheese the night before and froze them. Early before our flight, I took them out of the freezer. By time we boarded and received our beverages, our bagels were room temperature & yummy.

On Friday we arrived in Orlando; cold and 35 degrees, raining. We booked the Hyatt using the Hyatt prepaid certificate, for $130.00 for the night. We requested the Polar room which is equal to 2 rooms in one. No beds in the polar room, only 2 Queen Couches that turn into beds on each side of room. In the middle of this huge room is dining room table, surrounded by chairs, and a bar on the side. There is a huge bathroom, vanity room and a big TV. I requested a cot for myself (the 4 of us slept in this paradise for the evening). After check in at the hotel, we had rented a car downstairs from Alamo for the day. We headed to ABC Liquor store and our favorite, dinner at the Olive Garden. We did some last minute shopping. We had plans for Disney world, but due to severe cold & heavy rain down pours, we passed. Later that evening we returned our car & enjoyed our room at the Hyatt.

Saturday morning at 6:30 AM I went down stairs to check in with Disney Cruise Line at the bottom of the airport (near the rent a cars).

I am officially a gold member, which was exciting for my perks. I was able to check in for the 4 of us (Angela & Mary were first timers). We received our key to the world and got our bus numbers, and even our ticket number to board the boat (# 2, YES!!!!). I was then told the Magic was detained at Castaway Cay due to weather & we would not board the Magic till 3 pm. At this point I ran into Rosa, from Westchester NY. Rosa & her family was to take the Amtrak train from NY to Orlando on Friday, only to find out that Amtrak canceled there train due to snow. Rosa, her husband & 2 small children rented a car and drove straight thru, and just arrived at 6:30 am. We were both told we were boarding the Magic at about 3pm.

I asked the DC agents if I could take the Magical bus to Animal Kingdom (I had DW hopper passes) I would keep in touch with DC by phone, & take the bus from Animal kingdom to the port. I was told no stay put. I went upstairs, & told the family. We went for breakfast and killed about 5 hours in the airport. Nobody from Disney seemed to know what was going on. They all had different stories. 12:00 check out at the Hyatt lobby was a zoo. There were very angry men from our cruise, yelling at their wives and yelling at Disney personal staff. It was very uncomfortable to see all of this. The lobby of the Hyatt was crazy.

The Plan:
At the Hyatt lobby Disney personal asked all of us (lot's of people) to gather, he told us we were not able to get on board till Sunday. We need to go down stairs wait in another line to check in & get our keys. (Phew we had our keys) He told us, if we had our keys, just to board the bus to Epcot. He said the plan was leave at noon to Epcot get a hopper pass and at 2pm go to "Wonders of Life Building" and Disney would give us the name of the hotel we were to stay at. They gave us all $15.00 each for a food card, and left our luggage at the Wonders of Life until we were ready to leave the park. We then were instructed to get our luggage & bring them to the bus & off to the hotel.

We were told Disney was offering

Free hotel stay Saturday and a free day at Epcot for their entire party
$20 per person on board credit for the meal they would have gotten Saturday night. The credit can be used on the ship when they board.
$100 per stateroom on board credit
a 20% refund
Option to cancel cruise without penalty and with full refund

What Happened
We went downstairs at 12:00, had our keys to the world & were checked in. We were told just hop on the bus, but that was wrong. We had to wait in a really long line and get the letter to board the bus to Epcot even though we were already check in. (made no sense)

We got to Epcot and thought we could have fun in the park with our hopper pass, and we are hungry & we wanted to eat lunch. Wrong again, LOL. We waited in a really long line to get our hopper passes. We entered the park & it was time to check in at the Wonder of Life (2pm). I waited in line for almost 3 hours. The park was really crowded. My family went to test track while I stayed in line for our hotel. Inside there was lot's of entertainment for the young kids, not much for teens. They had a lot of junk food. Popcorn, ice-cream, chips, cookies, cotton candy, m&m's and soda. After an hour my family met me in the building. By then it was mass confusion. We were very hungry; my family left and went to guest services. They waited in a really long line, to find a restaurant in Epcot for dinner (we didn't have a car to leave the park to eat). While they waited in one line (guest services) I was still in Wonder of Life line for the hotel.

By almost 5 PM, we received our room assignments Caribe Royale Hotel. I asked a Disney personal if we could go to Magic Kingdom with the hopper pass after we ate dinner, and could they ship our luggage to the hotel (from Epcot). I waited a while, while they made arrangements for a luggage transfer to the hotel. No problem, all arrangements were made. At this time my family came back to the Wonders of Life from the Epcot guest services building, the only Epcot restaurant left to eat in was Morocco for 5:15 pm. Not happy with our only choice, we were very hungry& took it. My daughter only eats chicken strips, and it was on the kids menu (thank god), got to keep the kids happy. I was not happy with the adult choices or the prices. 2 kids meals, & 2 adult meals kids got ice cream on the kids menu came to over $100.00 with tip about 125.00 Our card took care of $60.00 I don't think I will eat there again heart burn all night. Thankfully I had Tums in my suitcase.

We then hopped over to the magic kingdom. It was really cold, 39 degrees & windy. We left the MK Park at 10:30 and were told the bus would be in the lot for the Caribe Royale Hotel. No bus until 11:45. We were cold tired, so we called the Disney people, who told us to take a cab and we were to be reimbursed (e were never reimbursed). The cab was only $25.00 plus a $5.00 tip, $30.00

At 11:00 PM, we checked in at the Caribe Royale Hotel. It's a beautiful hotel and very big. We were told at the lobby desk our luggage never came. So we asked for tee shirts or bathrobes to sleep in. They promised us Robes & tooth brushes but nobody ever came. We slept in our clothes. I called Disney at 1 am asking if they found my suitcases. I am glad I did, for they didn't know they were missing. They were very kind, they instructed me to call the front desk again and tell them to send up robes ASAP along with tooth brushes & paste. Disney said the next day that they would dry clean our dirty clothes on the ship. Gosh, how nice. I was glad I called, I was running on empty & they gave me the zest back.

I slept the rest of night in my robe, couldn't wake up DD. Next AM we went to the front Desk to try to locate our bags. The front desk told me to call all the hotels that have Disney people from the cruise and maybe I could locate the bags. I was shocked. How would I know which hotels? I called AAA since I had insurance with them. I couldn't find anybody. The Caribe Royale Hotel store sold no undergarments or anything in case of lost luggage. The front desk was no help.

No Disney personal anywhere. In all fairness it was Sunday morning. We were told Disney would give us breakfast in the ball room down stairs. Our children wanted cereal but the breakfast wasn't that great: Danishes, cookies, juice, tea bowls of fresh bananas, apples and oranges. I was happy about the fruit, but the kids weren’t. I was afraid to leave the area to buy breakfast in a restaurant, fearful we would miss the bus, or any information about the ship.

After about one hour later, a Disney rep finally came by. He was so nice & very sympathetic about our luggage. He knew just how to handle us & make us feel better. He said he would try to locate it. What a gentleman. I wish I new his name. I would love to write to Disney about him. We met many nice people in the many lines we were on.

After a few hours of waiting in the breakfast ball room, 1 person from each family waited in line to check in (yet another long line) for a number bus to the port.

We finally made it to the port only to find we were located in another terminal (I really wanted to see the model of the Disney Dream). The Wonder was at the port, so we had to go to another location.
Guess what??? Another long, really long, line to get onto the boat. I learned that being a gold member means nothing on this trip. LOL! Finally on board the ship. And there was no name announcement? After all we went through to go on the ship, to be on the ship. (I wanted to show off to Angela how they announce our names).

Today was Valentines Day, and it was supposed to be our Palo Brunch, had to go to make new reservations at Palo for a new Brunch date. There was no line.

Next Guest services, Operation suitcases. Our guest service helper was Libo. All I can say is, he did his best to find our suitcases. What a worker, and he was so kind. He was on a mission to find our suitcases before the boat sailed. At this point 2 days in the same clothes we felt very dirty. We missed out Disney boards meet because we were with Libo trying to locate our luggage. We ate upstairs at Topsiders.

Because it was Valentines Day, my husband called & asked if I got the gift from him in the room. I didn't, I called Guest service and told them that my husband said he bought me a surprise it should be in my room. Was it flowers or wine? Guest services told us they would look into it.

The sail away party was sensational. Towards the end of the party there was an announcement that the "Wonder" was coming & going to pass us. I wish you all could have experienced what we did. Everyone, including the crew members, ran to the side of the deck & watched the Wonder sail pass us. The DJ played "Come sail away". It was very quiet at first, except the music; all of a sudden the Wonder was next to the Magic. Everyone was waving crying, & just the energy. Can I confess, I was standing on top of group of stack chairs and I was so tall. I could see everything & everybody, waving my Burberry scarf. I was about 8 feet tall. I had tears in my eyes as I was waving. I took lots of photos. If only I knew how to post I would show you all the photos. Both horns were blasting. It was truly a magical moment. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. The Wonder left us, but we all were still talking about it.

It was then time for Dinner our servers were Dwight and Steve. Dinner was suburb. I felt a little funny dinning in our jeans & sneakers.

Our luggage was delivered about 9PM

I had a stateroom attendant that was awful, after 2 days, I complained & was able to change him & then had a "Magical host name Albert".

The kids went to the Stack and made many new friends. They loved the Stack. We were exhausted but went to the theater that night for the show. We had a great time. What a long day.

Hi Patricia~ Great start.... subscribing! It's interesting to read about your day(s) Saturday and Sunday, as ours were pretty different. I am SO SORRY that Angela & Mary missed out on the "name announcing" upon boarding. They did it for us, but we were on very early . It was great to meet you - can't wait to read the rest of your report! Karen

Thank you we had such a great time, you have lovely daughters. I was impressed that you remembered Angela's name. She was too. Thanks for being so kind. When the time is right, you must post a photo of your
Magic Towel. LOL What fun we had!!!

Thank you we had such a great time, you have lovely daughters. I was impressed that you remembered Angela's name. She was too. Thanks for being so kind. When the time is right, you must post a photo of your
Magic Towel. LOL What fun we had!!!

I would love to post a photo of the coveted towel, (or is that Meg's towel....) BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT !! :rotfl: Maybe when Meg comes home for her college spring break in a few weeks she can figure it out for me. What a fun group we had!

Hi,

I have some photos I'll try and post tomorrow. I also did a two min video of the Wonder passing the Magic at port. I just used my regular camera so the video will probably be pretty small, but will see.

We also boarded on deck 1, so no name announcement or greeting. As silly as it sounds I was looking forward to that since I saw it on all the Disney Cruise Ads and marketing materials.

My wife Lisa made the bags and towel, but I never thought to take a photo of it.

Best,
Steve

We are owed a refund also. We used DVC points for the cruise. I was told that they will process a check after the cruise. I am not sure if the check is coming from DCL or DVC.:confused3

Hi,

I have some photos I'll try and post tomorrow. I also did a two min video of the Wonder passing the Magic at port. I just used my regular camera so the video will probably be pretty small, but will see.

We also boarded on deck 1, so no name announcement or greeting. As silly as it sounds I was looking forward to that since I saw it on all the Disney Cruise Ads and marketing materials.

My wife Lisa made the bags and towel, but I never thought to take a photo of it.

Best,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I am pretty sure we met at guest services while I was with Karen. I would really like to buy a towel from your wife. LOL we all wanted that towel. Maybe you can PM me with an address.

I just reread my report & I sound like "Debbie Downer" Lot's of things happend, but all in all it was an adventure & kind of fun. I met many many wonderful people. We were all trying to help one another.

While on line in Epcot, I met up with Frank from Boston. Frank told me a story, a few months ago when his son turned 2, the family put magic blow out candles on the birthday cake. His son was trying to blow out the candles & it was funny. His wife submitted it to "America's Most Funniest Video" To make a long story short, Frank's video won the $10K show, the $100K show and the Grand Prize-50 years at Disney free, which inncidentally "America's Most Funniest Video" was taping on the Magic while we were on board.

Hi Steve,

I am pretty sure we met at guest services while I was with Karen. I would really like to buy a towel from your wife. LOL we all wanted that towel. Maybe you can PM me with an address.

I just reread my report & I sound like "Debbie Downer" Lot's of things happend, but all in all it was an adventure & kind of fun. I met many many wonderful people. We were all trying to help one another.

While on line in Epcot, I met up with Frank from Baltimore. Frank told me a story, a few months ago when his son turned 2, the family put magic blow out candles on the birthday cake. His wife submitted it to "America's Most Funniest Video" To make a long story short, Frank's video won the the Grand prize, $125,000 which inncidentally "America's Most Funniest Video" was taping on the Magic while we were on board.

Hi,

Yeah I heard the towel was a hit.

You can get with Lisa at 770-369-2060 or at lisa@impressionswear.com

Our four year old daughter got to be in some footage with AFV during the pirate party. She got to sword fight Tom, the host, and they took photos. So she had fun doing that. They took still shots so I assume they will be used in some sort of college, during the 20th anniv. show. So if you see a girl dressed as a pirate with a sword on the show that is Amber. I forget the air date, but it was either April or May 20th or 23rd 2010.

Steve

I posted the info for the towel and the print on our "Meet" thread since everyone was vying for them at the Ladies Lunch!

If you can't get the Disney Wonder video up, I also took a pretty good quality video with my camera with good sound. I just have to edit it down to size since it's about 20mins long!

Day 2 2/15

Sea day. Got up early went for a power walk around deck 4, then went to the adult pool & swam laps. I noticed something new at the Adult pool a big clock was installed.This is great when I do laps, I can time
I also noticed this year, it was easier to find a lounge chair near the pool.

Afterwards, I took a shower in the Spa. For those of you that don't know, you can take a shower in the Spa.
The Showers are bigger than the cabin, and offers supplies of shampoo,conditioner & gel as well. The Spa's towel seems to be thicker and cottony plush than the cabins. There are lounge chairs next to the showers, which is nice to just sit & relax for bit.

Had a sit down breakfast at Lumiere's. The breakfast was excellent. Afterwards, Angela attended a wine tasting class. I went to the pool for some sun & relaxation.

Our girls were out late in the night at the Stack Club. I must say that the Stack keeps the teens out till wee hours of the morning. Nightly there's different fun activity planned for the teens
Our girls spent most of the cruise in the Stack. Our rule was they must meet us for dinner every night. Pretty much the girls slept in daily till 11:00AM

As promised guest services dry cleaned our clothes.

Angela & I deceided to see a movie. "Old Dogs". I had no ideal what the movie was about, it was so funny. I would recommend this movie. John Travolta & Robin Williams were the stars. Great funny movie

Tonight was formal we dinned at Animator's Palate the food and the service was A++++
We were treated royal. Any special requests, are servers as well as Ivo were happy to fulfill.

After dinner we went to the Walt Disney theatre to see Twice Charmed. Excellent show. It's the original twist of the Cinderella story.

When I returned to my cabin, there was a letter from the Disney Cruise staff stating that we were picked as "Disney Cruise Family of the week" On our beds was a towel animal wearing DD's sunglasses. Our room host Albert was wonderful.

Great end to our 2nd day.
Tomorrow Palo's Brunch

Patricia:

I just finished reading your report and I am just so sorry that your day was so stressful. I needed to be reminded that not everyone's day went as smoothly as ours did. I had no idea that the folks checking out of hotels were literally left hanging with no concrete instructions as to where to go or what to do. And to have your luggage lost on top of it all.

We were fortunate that we had our own car and our luggage was safely in it. Yes, we waited in the same lines as everyone else, but had our own transportation when it was needed. We did not have children to care for and entertain. We ate as soon as we entered EPCOT at Seasons in "The Land", so we were not hungry while waiting in the hotel assignment line in the Wonders building. I was impressed with the amount of cast members assigned to help out and the entertainment to help pass the time. We had a good experience at Shingle Creek.

Thank you for reporting your experience. I think and hope that the crazyness of the whole 24 hour mess was, hopefully, a once in a lifetime occurance. I hope that DCL now has a better back up plan on the backburner. My major disappointment was the elimination of the St Martin port of call. I was totally unimpressed with St. Thomas and felt very rushed, as there was not enough time planned on that stop.

Considering everything that happened, we loved the cruise itself, had great servers, good food and wonderful entertainment onboard. The rocky start did not turn us off to consider another Disney cruise in the future.

Linda

Patricia:

I just finished reading your report and I am just so sorry that your day was so stressful. I needed to be reminded that not everyone's day went as smoothly as ours did. I had no idea that the folks checking out of hotels were literally left hanging with no concrete instructions as to where to go or what to do. And to have your luggage lost on top of it all.

We were fortunate that we had our own car and our luggage was safely in it. Yes, we waited in the same lines as everyone else, but had our own transportation when it was needed. We did not have children to care for and entertain. We ate as soon as we entered EPCOT at Seasons in "The Land", so we were not hungry while waiting in the hotel assignment line in the Wonders building. I was impressed with the amount of cast members assigned to help out and the entertainment to help pass the time. We had a good experience at Shingle Creek.

Thank you for reporting your experience. I think and hope that the crazyness of the whole 24 hour mess was, hopefully, a once in a lifetime occurance. I hope that DCL now has a better back up plan on the backburner. My major disappointment was the elimination of the St Martin port of call. I was totally unimpressed with St. Thomas and felt very rushed, as there was not enough time planned on that stop.

Considering everything that happened, we loved the cruise itself, had great servers, good food and wonderful entertainment onboard. The rocky start did not turn us off to consider another Disney cruise in the future.

Linda

Hi Linda,

The day was crazy my family treated it as an adventure, & with all the problems it still was kinda fun. I met so many wonderful people on so many lines. When I read my trip report, it sounded worst that it actually was. After the first day, the cruise was near perfect.

Yes, I wish Disney would have chosen St. Martin over St. Thomas too. I was a bit disappointed about that.

We booked Alaska and received the 20% off & OBC ;)

Patricia, so sorry you had such a bad first day. We started out at the Hyatt too, but when we went down around 10:30, they told us to get in line for check-in and then board the bus for Epcot. We were given park hoppers, so we went to MK and returned to Wonders of Life about 6:30. No line then, got our room assignment and went to Soarin and Illuminations and to the Omni Rosen hotel on the 10:00 bus. We had a pretty good time, and also considered our day to be an adventure.

I'm enjoying your report, and subscribing as well.

Steve, LOVED the video!! We watched from our verandah, along with Barbara, John, and Jen in the next room. I wished I had a video camera, as the dueling horns and all were so cool. I got photos, but I just got chills and a big smile watching yours. Thanks so much for sharing!

Linda

WOW! That sounds stressful.

Hi jessrose18,

I tried to be as honest a posssible when I wrote the report. It really wasn't stressful it's just what happend and we made the best of it. We had Disney support thru out the process. At one point I said to Angela, I feel like were in a "Chubby Chase vacation movie". I knew there would be a rainbow in the end, & there was.

We met so many nice people along, went way out of there way to help. It was a good lesson for the girls too. Things happend in life, that sometimes can't be helped. You can cry or you can make it into a adventure, which we did.

Once on board the ship, it turned into a Magical vacation.

Steve great video, I get goose bumps all over just watching it again.
It was something I will never forget. Thanks for posting it.

Day 3
Sea Day
2/16

Busy morning sunny day at sea. Many things to do this AM

Last eve we received a card in our room stating that early today was our Character breakfast. The kids got in late, & Angela & I have reservations for Palo's brunch at 11:30 AM. We passed, on the Character breakfast didn't want to go without the girls.

In the navigator there was an early scrap booking class given by Jaclyn (who is also Disney's on board travel agent) I went to the class, was given some materials to start off our scrap booking, with letters, Disney cruise paper frame about 8 by 10. I met lot's of ladies some new some I already met & enjoyed myself. We exchanged stories while working on scrapping.
I'm going to attempt to finish scrapbooking our trip in the months to come.

I am a gold member & received an invatation to the Captains party for Gold & Platinum Level members. They gave us a drink, poised with Daisy Duck for photos, watched a movie about the Dream and future cruises. Met people who cruised with Disney more than 25 times. I was expected more fun at this party. I think next time I will pass on this.

Off to Palo's

Our server from Palo brunch was Cecilia who just happens to be married to Ivo our Head server. The food quality service and selections were outstanding with a $15.00 cover charge plus tip and one free drink

Cecilia took us on a tour of the brunch offerings. Appetizers and Salads including olive salad,scallops wrapped in bacon, prosciutto wrapped melon, sun dried tomato salad, crabs legs & claws, jumbo shrimp, cheese Selection, Fresh Fruit, garden salad, caviar on spoons (I'm sure I have left some things out)

"Hot Orders" Eggs Benedict,Eggs Julia, Omelets Pancakes, chicken Parma, beef & so much more

Desserts:Tiramisu, Lemon Meringue Pie, Cappuccino Mousse, Fresh fruits and Berries with whipped cream berries sweet rolls German stolen cheese Danish, chocolate pudding and much more.

All I can say is EXCELLENT try to book brunch

After Polo Lunch we saw "America Most Funniest Video filming at the Pool" we went to guest service & I ran into Karen & Family(MassDisLovers) in the lounge near guest services. I loved hearing how she surprised her daughter on this Disney Cruise. Both of her daughters joined us, and they are simply sweet as well as beautiful. I enjoy her family & her friend Jody too.

Angela went to a cooking class & I went to the Adult pool, & swam some laps and enjoyed the hot sun on sea day.

Angela & I did the unthinkable today, we crashed the Stack. Our daughters were having a blast with there new friends. The Staff had everything under control. The girls, were not happy about us coming upstairs. Parents are not welcome in the Stack, but hay, we needed to see with our own eyes, that everything was ok with our children. We were impressed. The Staff was very friendly to us, & didn't seem to mind that Angela and I came to check the on the girls. We quickly left PHEW....

Later in the Day, Angela & I took a Diamond education class. We were told where the best shops are in St. Thomas. We also given maps of the Island. I learn a lot about Diamonds that day. They also had a drawing. Someone won a beautiful braclet.

Before we knew it, it was time for Dinner again with my family. Dinner again was superb, after dinner, Angela went to the Disney Theatre. I wasn't feeling that good and went to bed early.

Back in my cabin, Albert once again turned our beds down, with a handmade towel animal on our bed surrounded by chocolates. A huge fruit basket & a card from guest services awaited us, asking the family of the week if we were satisfied with our day & services. Quick tip, if going to the beach the next day, back your bag the night before. Next morning all you have to worry about is your shower & the kids, and early breakfast before you leave the ship. I packed the night before each night, when were on the Disney Med trip made mornings much easier.

Tomorrow St. Thomas

I'm enjoying it. It's interesting to see the different things everyone does on the cruise. We're all in the same place, yet experiencing different things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter