OT - Granite Counter tops -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good plan but I only have 1 ladder. DH is off with my truck today or I could run down to True Value & get another one, we have been meaning to get second ladder for awhile now. I haven't even checked if I have painters tape in the garage, that will stall out the project as well.

Anyone tall that wants to take a road trip to help me??????? :rotfl:

If I lived closer, I would love to help! I'd do anything to get out of this house for a while. Living with 3 boys and DH is driving me crazy.... Well, let's make that 4 boys :)

Oh I hear ya! I don't know how you manage with 3 little boys in the house (and 1 big one). Mine were off school Friday so today is day 3 couped up with them, they fight all day long. It's 45 degrees today (warmer than it has been lately) so I'm trying to shove them outside. I brought the ladder, paint & supplies upstairs so far, but I only have a little tape. Can you tell I'm stalling?? According to the metallic glaze, you rag it on your base color. Now I'm having second thoughts. Every faux finish I've ever tried looked cheap & tacky. Oh well - I'll just get the Haycock on at least so there's something up there.

Tara-we do have a high ceiling in the bedroom...now that you're trying to paint yours I'm wondering how in the world we will paint ours when it needs to be re-painted! Be sure to post pics when you are done. Do you have a 2 story family room? I really wanted that but the plan we picked didn't have it and we didn't want to pay to have it re-drawn.

Sorry to keep uploading so many pictures but I just found the pictures I took back in November of our "old" kitchen. What a difference granite and stainless makes!

BEFORE
049.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen002.jpg

BEFORE
051.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen003.jpg

BEFORE
052.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen005.jpg

what a huge difference from the before and after. It changed the entire look of the kitchen. It's very beautiful.

Oh I hear ya! I don't know how you manage with 3 little boys in the house (and 1 big one). Mine were off school Friday so today is day 3 couped up with them, they fight all day long. It's 45 degrees today (warmer than it has been lately) so I'm trying to shove them outside. I brought the ladder, paint & supplies upstairs so far, but I only have a little tape. Can you tell I'm stalling?? According to the metallic glaze, you rag it on your base color. Now I'm having second thoughts. Every faux finish I've ever tried looked cheap & tacky. Oh well - I'll just get the Haycock on at least so there's something up there.

It's not easy. I am glad it's not just my boys that fight all the time. My kids were off on Friday as well.

As far as the faux finish, why don't you find an old board or piece of drywall and test the technique out first before you paint it. If you end up not liking it, don't do it on the ceiling and just paint it a solid color.

We went for French Country (although a designer friend said this is more Traditional Old World than French Country)...anyway I have off white cabinets & fleshy tones too like you said....here is a granite color option for you - although mine is more speckled then veined. I now wish I would have gone with a more veined look...

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg
wow Tara, beautiful kitchen. I love to cook but since I have stepdaughters now they are finicky and so I don't cook like I used to when my sons were home. I have a nice kitchen but you can really spread out in yours. Awesome. You sure are crafty and take on the house projects. I do small house projects, nothing of the magnitude you undertake. Way to go.:thumbsup2

Hey Tara - I forgot to ask, where did you get your curtains?

Hey Tara - I forgot to ask, where did you get your curtains?

I had them made. A very talented friend was starting her own window treatment/fabric covering & did them at cost if she could use me as a reference & to take pics for her portfolio. She did a great job, she did the kitchen, breakfast roon, DR & the red toile powder room. My BR drapes & valances are Croscill to match my bedding.

Ok I've been MIA for awhile. Started a thread on the CB that has been taking over my DIS-Boarding the last 2 days! :surfweb: ANYWAY - the half of the tray ceiling I taped up - well the tape is now all falling off. DH can reach the other half but keeps putting it off. So the paint project is on hold for now....:headache:

Question - is my ceiling a tray ceiling or a coffered ceiling? I've been calling it tray & my mom says it's not, it's coffered. ???

Sorry to keep uploading so many pictures but I just found the pictures I took back in November of our "old" kitchen. What a difference granite and stainless makes!

BEFORE
049.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen002.jpg

BEFORE
051.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen003.jpg

BEFORE
052.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen005.jpg

The new counter tops are beautiful!!! I would love to get granite someday!!!!!

A little off topic here, but, your house floor plan looks like my BIL's. But the funny thing is that he said he designed his house :confused3 :rotfl2: Do you have a butler pantry between the kitchen and dining room, and how about an office between the family room and living room? BIL's kitchen, family room, and eating area are just like yours! I know he didn't design your house, now I'm doubting he designed his. :rolleyes1

I had them made. A very talented friend was starting her own window treatment/fabric covering & did them at cost if she could use me as a reference & to take pics for her portfolio. She did a great job, she did the kitchen, breakfast roon, DR & the red toile powder room. My BR drapes & valances are Croscill to match my bedding.

Ok I've been MIA for awhile. Started a thread on the CB that has been taking over my DIS-Boarding the last 2 days! :surfweb: ANYWAY - the half of the tray ceiling I taped up - well the tape is now all falling off. DH can reach the other half but keeps putting it off. So the paint project is on hold for now....:headache:

Question - is my ceiling a tray ceiling or a coffered ceiling? I've been calling it tray & my mom says it's not, it's coffered. ???

I think it's a tray ceiling. A coffered ceiling has "trim" in the middle of the ceiling (a bunch of squares on the ceiling). Our keeping room has a coffered ceiling. Google coffered ceiling-it will show pics.

The new counter tops are beautiful!!! I would love to get granite someday!!!!!

A little off topic here, but, your house floor plan looks like my BIL's. But the funny thing is that he said he designed his house :confused3 :rotfl2: Do you have a butler pantry between the kitchen and dining room, and how about an office between the family room and living room? BIL's kitchen, family room, and eating area are just like yours! I know he didn't design your house, now I'm doubting he designed his. :rolleyes1

When you walk in our front door, to the left is the office. To the right is the dining room (which you can see a little bit of in the kitchen pictures). A little to the right is the stairs that go up (runs along the outside of the dining room). There are a few steps, a landing and then the stairs turn up to the right and go the rest of the way up. When you walk out of the entryway down the hall towards the back of the house, the great room is on the left and kitchen on the right. The hallway you can see from the kitchen has the 1/2 bath on the left and the door to the garage on the right. Straight ahead down that hallway is the laundry room. Our pantry is in the kitchen, the door on the same wall as the door that goes out to the deck (there are two frames hanging between those two doors, one says FAMILY and the other MEMORIES (of course it shows off some family pictures from Disney vacations!). In the doorway towards the dining room, on the left is a closet, the right is the door to the basement. Upstairs on the right is a bedroom, straight ahead is the master/master bath. Take a left around the stairs and there is a bedroom on the right and then another bathroom and linen closet in the hallway. Then you get to the bridge that goes over to the 4th bedroom and the bridge looks down over into the great room and foyer, which are both 2 story. Does it sound like the same house? Here's a pic of the outside... Ignore those people in the front yard playing ball :rolleyes1
House.jpg

Quick question for Hogue123

I just installed New Venetian Gold counter tops in all my baths. I have white cabinets. After the job was done I regret my choice because I wasn't sure if the NVG went well with white cabinets and thought it might be too busy for a small space. Obvioulsy too late to change them out, but I figured I can change the wall color to possibly absorb the counters a bit. I really LOVE your wall color in your kitchen. Do you happen to know the name/brand of paint color? This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

We just did a new kitchen as part of our home addition and the granite and tile backsplash were the HARDEST to choose! I ended up with a color called "Solarius" and it's a Brazilian granite. I love it! Pardon the mess in the photos, these are before we moved back into the house so there is no back splash and no cabinet hardware and lots of mess ( I even think the last two have the unfinished floors)
PICT0531.jpg

PICT0529.jpg

PICT0441.jpg

PICT0439.jpg

Hi there - not sure if my other post went through.

Hogue123 - I LOVE the color of your walls. What color/brand is the paint?

Hi there - not sure if my other post went through.

Hogue123 - I LOVE the color of your walls. What color/brand is the paint?

Quick question for Hogue123

I just installed New Venetian Gold counter tops in all my baths. I have white cabinets. After the job was done I regret my choice because I wasn't sure if the NVG went well with white cabinets and thought it might be too busy for a small space. Obvioulsy too late to change them out, but I figured I can change the wall color to possibly absorb the counters a bit. I really LOVE your wall color in your kitchen. Do you happen to know the name/brand of paint color? This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment on the wall color. It's called PRINCE by RALPH LAUREN.. I believe it's in their Urban Loft collection. The color on their website looks totally different than what is on the color swatch I got from Home Depot. I had it color matched at Sherwin Williams. Good luck with your painting! I think the NVG looks great with white cabinets. If it's a new countertop and you think it looks too busy, just give yourself time to adjust and get use to it, especially if it's really different than the one that was there before. Post some pictures... I'd love to see it!

We just did a new kitchen as part of our home addition and the granite and tile backsplash were the HARDEST to choose! I ended up with a color called "Solarius" and it's a Brazilian granite. I love it! Pardon the mess in the photos, these are before we moved back into the house so there is no back splash and no cabinet hardware and lots of mess ( I even think the last two have the unfinished floors)
PICT0531.jpg

PICT0529.jpg

PICT0441.jpg

PICT0439.jpg

Your kitchen is beautiful! Great choice on the granite. Looks wonderful with the cabinetry.

You don't realize how much STRESS it can cause you to pick out granite! Between the granite and the back splash, I swore my DH was ready to divorce me! I actually cried over it :lmao:

You don't realize how much STRESS it can cause you to pick out granite! Between the granite and the back splash, I swore my DH was ready to divorce me! I actually cried over it :lmao:

I know what you mean. It is very stressful. There's so much to choose from. I constantly second guess myself and just couldn't make up my mind. We ended up with two different colors of granite. My husband likes the more solid color of the black and I like the more unique pieces with movement and not so uniform in color. We compromised and it worked out fine. It's such a hard choice because I know whatever I got, I better like it because this will most likely be the last countertop we have in our kitchen. My husband wasn't crazy about the cost of it all in the first place and i know that he would never replace it just because I got tired of the color or look of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter