OT - Granite Counter tops -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the rounded edge on my granite so you can't see the chip unless you really look. I did find a granite repair kit: ( www.acrylicrepair.com) but haven't bought it yet. My builder also said the place you bought the granite from fixes it also--I called them and they said it would be 100 to just come to the house to see if they can fix it and probably 50+ for the repair. I called Home Depot and they don't carry a granite repair kit so who knows if it would work. I feel better just knowing it is fixable.

Tara-
I am computer illiterate so if I can get my DH to help me post a pic of my ceiling I will. I was really scared to paint it darker but it looks so cool! We also painted the shower ceiling and the master bath ceiling that color.

Tara--we have almost the same bedroom furniture (I have Grand Savannah by Bernhardt) and almost the same bedroom wall color!! I have gold walls (I don't know the name of the color it's from Lowes in the Biltmore paint collection) and we painted our tray ceiling a dark burgandy/brownish color (Biltmore paint collection also). It looks awesome! I get so many compliments on it. I'll try and get my DH to help me post a picture. Your house is what we wanted to build but couldn't afford--we have a shrunken version of yours (2400 sq ft). I love it though!! You must spend a lot of time cleaning trim because I do and my house is half the size of yours!!!

I am SO waiting for you to post a picture of your darker tray ceiling! I want to start mine today, if I ever get motivated to get off the DIS. I'd love to see your furniture too! I like very dark, heavy furniture - someone told me once it looked gothic! My BR & DR set are both from the same Broyhill line, Vintage World I think it's called. It is very old world, but I'd like to think antique or royal - not gothic!

Yes white trim gets dusty very quickly. I honestly don't clean the trim much - about every 2-3 months, or when someone is coming over! I clean a little bit every day, as I go, instead of saying "ok today I'm cleaning" or I think I'd be overwhelmed.

Ok waiting for your pics....

Here is my granite chip - it looks much worse in person -

IMG_2598.jpg

Here is the ogee egde -

IMG_2601.jpg

Here is a basic egde - just softened or rounded a bit - no extra charge for this one -
IMG_2602.jpg

Here is another basic egde - bevel maybe? They just flatten out the top part - also no extra charge -
IMG_2606.jpg

Anyone else have different edge pics to post?

I am SO waiting for you to post a picture of your darker tray ceiling! I want to start mine today, if I ever get motivated to get off the DIS. I'd love to see your furniture too! I like very dark, heavy furniture - someone told me once it looked gothic! My BR & DR set are both from the same Broyhill line, Vintage World I think it's called. It is very old world, but I'd like to think antique or royal - not gothic!

Yes white trim gets dusty very quickly. I honestly don't clean the trim much - about every 2-3 months, or when someone is coming over! I clean a little bit every day, as I go, instead of saying "ok today I'm cleaning" or I think I'd be overwhelmed.

Ok waiting for your pics....

I've been told our style is gothic also--you can see my bed at Bernhardt.com click on Grand Savannah, my bed is the one without the canopy. My DH actually picked it out--and my first reaction was "ummmm....no". Then it grew on me. Now I love it.

We just have one of the standard edges on our granite. It just has a slight roundness to it on the top and bottom. Our old laminate tops had sharp edges (no roundness to them at all). The kids and DH and I got scraped up from them all the time. I hated it. The kids poor foreheads were always bruised when they got to the right height to just hit them just right.

Kitchen027.jpg

Kitchen029.jpg

Kitchen030.jpg

Kitchen024.jpg

Kitchen031.jpg

Amy

Hey why is that kid still in his jammies at noon?!?! Oh...wait....I'M still in my jammies at noon.......

Sorry to keep uploading so many pictures but I just found the pictures I took back in November of our "old" kitchen. What a difference granite and stainless makes!

BEFORE
049.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen002.jpg

BEFORE
051.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen003.jpg

BEFORE
052.jpg

AFTER
Kitchen005.jpg

Hogue123~I just wanted to say thank you for the before and after pics. It helpes me to visualize what I can do in my own kitchen. Unfortunately I need cabinets too and I might need to wait to change appliances.

Hogue123~I just wanted to say thank you for the before and after pics. It helpes me to visualize what I can do in my own kitchen. Unfortunately I need cabinets too and I might need to wait to change appliances.

Your welcome for the pics! I love to see before and after pictures.

karenj2 - you asked what color the tile was in the mudroom - here is a shot of the same tile in my master bath - and the coordinating tumbled marble in smaller sizes for the tub surround. I picked all 3 from samples & was really happy with the way it turned out. It's hard to pick from samples. I hate my kitchen backsplash, so I didn't choose very well on that one, so you just never know!

IMG_2605.jpg

720L - do you know how to download your pics from your camera onto the computer? If so I can walk you through it from there. I'm dying to see this tray celing picture!

Hogue123, your Before and After pix are great. Anyone who doesn't think appliances and countertops can create an entirely different kitchen should see your pix!

Tara, I love the finish on your bath fixtures. Question for everyone: What did you determine first: general color scheme or did something (fixture, granite, tile, ?) start you in a certain direction? I know that some designers mention a piece of furniture or fabric that started the process, just wondered on how you started?

Sharon

Ours started with the idea of wanting to warm up our house. As you can see in my before pictures, it wasn't very interesting. The wall color was taken throughout the kitchen, 2 story great room, 2 story foyer and the upstairs hall. Now that I've been home for 4 years and looking at it all the time, it was getting pretty depressing. It doesn't look warm or inviting. Just kinda sterile and cold. The biggest mistake I made was the countertops. When we built the house, I picked out the countertops and paint color. I thought it was great that I found a paint color that went so well with the countertops. Once it was all done, I found that when going to the store to find window treatments or even things to hang on the walls, nothing matched it. It is a nice color, but just so odd that nothing matched. I got tired of it and we decided to go with more neutral color palette to warm things up. We shopped for about a month for granite. We had no choice but to keep the white cabinets, so I wanted something to go with them. As soon as my husband saw the absolute black, he fell in love with it. I saw a lot of pieces that had more movement and color. He liked the uniform look and sleekness of the black. So we compromised and I found a piece of New Venetian Gold that had a lot of black running throughout it. THat is how the idea of two granites in the kitchen came about. DH wanted the whole kitchen black, but I did not want a black and white kitchen and thought I would get tired of it. Besides, we have 3 boys (8, 5 and 2) and the fingerprints on the black are not real attractive. Looks great when it's clean! I didn't want to deal with the mess on the island since we use it so much. I wanted something that would hide all that, which is why I wanted the lighter color with a pattern to it. I wanted something a little more interesting. I went with the black theme and got black stools for the bar top on the island, and painted our white table and chairs black. I added more black accents all over to tie it in together.

Tara--I took the pictures, now I'm hoping he will help me. No I don't know how to download to the computer. I need to learn! Our master bath has similar tile also--we went with silver faucets though.

Disneymomok--we started with a color scheme (earthtones).

edited to add: I have the pics on my computer--i sent you a pm tara

Oh my gosh....you guys are so inspiring me to redo my kitchen. I have wanted to since we moved in 5 1/2 years ago. The pictures here are alot my kitchen. French country style, golden/yellow walls with matching red and golden valances, and hard wood floors. I also have white cabinets, but awful, cheap blue counter tops and white appliances and also gold knobs that need to go.

I have been wanting stainless appliances and granite countertops. I can't believe the difference it made in the pictures here. I just can't decide if I want black counters or more tannish/gold like some I've seen here?

Woo hoo you did it!! Wow that is a high ceiling in your BR. I love the darker color!! I said I wanted to get started today but never got motivated. Maybe tomorrow...

Ok ladies (and gents) today is a new day. Here is today's problem though - Part of the tray ceiling is above the bed. I'm too short to stand on the bed to reach the ceiling to paint. I could use an extension rod for the paint color, but I need to be up close for the taping, trim & metallic glaze/finish. DH will not help, nor would I want him too! Moving the bed is not an option - last time I painted it took 4 adults to move it 15 inches away from the wall, and it was a struggle. It's a massive bed. Plus no matter where in the room I move it, it will always be under part of the tray ceiling. Any suggestions? I can't just put a bench on the bed, it's too unstable. :confused3

Ok ladies (and gents) today is a new day. Here is today's problem though - Part of the tray ceiling is above the bed. I'm too short to stand on the bed to reach the ceiling to paint. I could use an extension rod for the paint color, but I need to be up close for the taping, trim & metallic glaze/finish. DH will not help, nor would I want him too! Moving the bed is not an option - last time I painted it took 4 adults to move it 15 inches away from the wall, and it was a struggle. It's a massive bed. Plus no matter where in the room I move it, it will always be under part of the tray ceiling. Any suggestions? I can't just put a bench on the bed, it's too unstable. :confused3

Good morning Tara... I just showed the pics of your bedroom to my DH and ask about your dilema. He said to put drop cloths down over everything and put a ladder on each side of your bed and run a 2x10 board between them and stand on that.... Sounds kinda dangerous but it may work!

Sounds like a good plan but I only have 1 ladder. DH is off with my truck today or I could run down to True Value & get another one, we have been meaning to get second ladder for awhile now. I haven't even checked if I have painters tape in the garage, that will stall out the project as well.

Anyone tall that wants to take a road trip to help me??????? :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter