OT - Granite Counter tops -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooohhh, I saw your pics, you had the Absolute black and the lighter on the island area. Your kitchen before and after looks TOTALLY different! I love the after! It looks so crisp and sharp.

Thanks for the compliment on the wall color. It's called PRINCE by RALPH LAUREN.. I believe it's in their Urban Loft collection. The color on their website looks totally different than what is on the color swatch I got from Home Depot. I had it color matched at Sherwin Williams. Good luck with your painting! I think the NVG looks great with white cabinets. If it's a new countertop and you think it looks too busy, just give yourself time to adjust and get use to it, especially if it's really different than the one that was there before. Post some pictures... I'd love to see it!
Thanks for the quick reply. I will head to Home Depot tomorrow!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks again!

Ooohhh, I saw your pics, you had the Absolute black and the lighter on the island area. Your kitchen before and after looks TOTALLY different! I love the after! It looks so crisp and sharp.

It did make a HUGE difference. Thanks for the compliment!

I did - thanks again for sharing this. I picked up the Ralph Lauren swatch but have not yet brougth it to Duron. I usually use Duron paint - not sure if they have this chain by you. I would assume Ralph Lauren paint is perfectly fine to use for a bathroom, don't you? I may just use this paint since the swatch looks so good in the bathroom. It is pefect! I will make sure I take before and after pics and post them after I finish painting.

I did - thanks again for sharing this. I picked up the Ralph Lauren swatch but have not yet brougth it to Duron. I usually use Duron paint - not sure if they have this chain by you. I would assume Ralph Lauren paint is perfectly fine to use for a bathroom, don't you? I may just use this paint since the swatch looks so good in the bathroom. It is pefect! I will make sure I take before and after pics and post them after I finish painting.

I am glad it's a good match to your granite! Can't wait tosee the pics :)

Tara: I was googling for Venetian Gold and found the pics of your kitchen - which is beautiful. We just got Venetian Gold countertops and are in the process of painting our pickled cabinets a cream with brown glaze. I love the color on your kitchen wall. Can you tell me who makes it and the name of it?

Thanks, Vicki in Memphis

The paint for my kitchen was a custom mix - are you familiar with Longaberger pottery? I have the color paprika from Longaberger, so I took a piece into Sherwin Williams & they matched it perfectly. It's a deep red with a plum undertone. When they said plum I went NO WAY, but they were right on. Red is very, very difficult to paint - be forewarned! Maybe you can get your hands on Longaberger catalog (or borrow a piece of paprika from a friend) & take it to a paint store to match.

OMG this is so funny. I went back through the thread - which was in high swing exactly one year ago. My dilemma at the time was painting my BR tray ceiling. Did it ever get done? Um.....nooooo......I focused on landscaping all spring & summer, nothing inside.

Soulsearching.....Hogue123.....720L....wake up wake up! Show us your decorating projects that you've done in the last year!

We are in the process of redoing our ENTIRE kitchen right now - going on 3 wks no kitchen--- but 2 wks ago I went to the marble yard and picked my granite from over 300 selections it was soooo fun but over whelming
we choose "raw silk" which is cream/beige and gold with some quartz running through it.. we have maple spice cabinets and a darker tuscan floating floor
so I thought the light counter would work...
don't go to home depot the price is out rageous and you can get it cheaper by the foot.. we paid $45/sq foot for ours the same at home depot was $58 go figure... find a yard to buy from it nicer since you pick the SLAB you WANT not them picking for you.. and each slab is slightly different in movement -- I went through 4 before I found 2 I liked.
good luck with your kitchen

I am familiar with Longaberger baskets - I have several of them. Thanks for the information.

Hi, Hogue123:

I'm new here, but I love your kitchen too. What color are the walls in your kitchen?

I think we lost Hogue123...but I saw 720L on another thread yesterday so maybe he/she can pop back with some paint info!

Tara,
Now that you have lived in your house a year longer, how do you like the hardwood floors in the kitchen? Our whole house is hardwood except part of the kitchen (breakfast area is hardwood) and the family room. We plan to start our remodel next year and we still argue about the floor. DH wants to rip up the HW in the breakfast area and make the whole thing travertine or tile. I still want the HW but everyone keeps telling me it is a nightmare in the kitchen. We live in a traditional home and have managed to keep everything very traditional looking. I am afraid the tile will really stand out.

I'm here! I haven't done anything new to the house since this thread except for buying accessories and window treatments.

shelly3girls: I have hardwood in my kitchen (brazilian walnut) --we've been here 3 years now and I still love it.

shelly3girls..yes I still absolutely love the hardwood in the kitchen & throughout the 1st floor HOWEVER....it does show wear & tear where the kids slide their barstools to & from the island on a daily basis. We knew this would happen, I was just hoping it would take more than 3 years to show! We should have put felt on the bottom of the barstool legs, or just put an area rug by the island.

As far as keeping it clean & free of water - we've had absolutely no problems with that. I even have a plant on a plant stand that leaks a few times a week onto the hardwood, and the dishwasher did leak once, and it cleaned up perfectly.

Tara,
Now that you have lived in your house a year longer, how do you like the hardwood floors in the kitchen? Our whole house is hardwood except part of the kitchen (breakfast area is hardwood) and the family room. We plan to start our remodel next year and we still argue about the floor. DH wants to rip up the HW in the breakfast area and make the whole thing travertine or tile. I still want the HW but everyone keeps telling me it is a nightmare in the kitchen. We live in a traditional home and have managed to keep everything very traditional looking. I am afraid the tile will really stand out.

My home is over 120 years old. We also have hardwood throughout - accept the kitchen. We went with a dark green tile, with black grout - looks similar to slate. I love the dark floor. So easy to clean, I use a spray bottle filled with half ammonia/half water and a shark steam mop to clean. I sealed the grout when DH first laid the tile 3 years ago, just needed to reseal it again, so we went a long time without needing to reseal it.

Janis

How funny! I didn't even notice the beginning was so old - read the whole thing anyway!~

LOVE your kitchen Tara. Love to see Longaberger - but we've had that conversation :rotfl: I can't believe you took a piece of Paprika pottery to the paint store. That's brilliant!

We are closing in on starting our kitchen. We have a small space, with a small budget to match. Of course it is the granite that is my biggest choice too. Also, I love your cabinets Tara, but I have the hardest time finding the right color between too bright white, but not too yellow when I am out looking.

Home Depot seems the least expensive way to go vs. a contractor, but I really don't want them to do the granite. I hope that won't be a big deal.

Also, I love your cabinets Tara, but I have the hardest time finding the right color between too bright white, but not too yellow when I am out looking.

Oh you're not kidding me! The day they installed the cabinets I called my mom freaking out that they were yellow! They were custom so I had to keep them. After we got everything else in & paint & decor, they now look more off-white. They have a brown glaze on them, just enough to make them look distressed (or dirty as my mom says) in the nooks & crannies.

Wow - can't believe it has been almost 2 years since this thread started and a year since I have looked for it to once again admire Tara's beautiful kitchen!

See Tara - I asked you the exact same question - how funny! :rotfl:
Thanks for your quick reply. I think we are finally going to really start our kitchen this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter