OT: Baby names you didn't name your child

DS4 is Zachary which we both love and was an easy decision. DS2 is Micah which we also love. However, many people think I said, "Michael" which can be annoying. We'll be trying for #3 soon and we have no idea what we'll do if it's another boy! If we have a little girl, her name will be Marisa.

We tried to pick names for our children that couldnt be shortened with nicknames since my DH and I both are called by nicknames. Our firstborn DD is Kayla Noelle. Back in 1990 there werent too many Kayla's. She is not a December birthday, but we loved the name Noelle also so we went with that. Our second born is DS and we named him Jonah Gray. Again, wanting a name that not too many boys have. Jonah has stayed a lesser used name in our area. Only know of one other and they are missionaries in Africa (used to go to church with us, but didnt know them when we named Jonah). His middle name is Gray, my Husbands middle name and my Husbands mothers maiden name. Our third born is DD and her name is Olivia Grace. I was pushing for Alexa Grace since we knew only of one other Alexa, but DH liked Olivia so much so she is the 4th Olivia at our church. Oh well. I realize these names can be shortened to Kay, Jo, and Liv, but they are not the more common nicknamed names and we have managed to stick to the names they were named. We have been pleased with these.
One other name we were deciding between for DS was Chase Christian. Like that one also, but are very pleased with Jonah since like I said we only know of one other. Good luck with the name game!! :flower:

Naming a baby is one of the hardest decisions in the world. I loved it and hated it! DS is Grant Matthew. Grant turned out to be a little too overused for my taste, but it's a nice name. We also considered Riley, Dalton, and Russ. Riley and Dalton turned out way more popular than we thought too. Haven't met a Russ yet but I think I was the only one who really liked it!

As a preschool teacher I can tell you that locally Brayden, Drew, Coby, Noah, Dakota, Isaac, Tyler, Luke, Sam, and Bryce are some popular names from the last few years.

I highly recommend the book "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" if you want a baby name book. It is very in depth.
Good luck, whatever you name your baby will be a great name and will be the only name you could imagine for your child!

Danemom said:
I highly recommend the book "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" if you want a baby name book. It is very in depth.
I agree -- great book! It really made us think about the name we chose for our second child.

My daughter's name is Briar. I teach school and there are so many trendy names I just couldn't do it to my child! We only know one other Briar! Our last name is a very common one so Briar kind of spices it up. When we were at WDW last summer she thought it was really neat that the Splash Mountain gift shop area is the Briar Patch.
Just for the record her name is not Briar Rose, although many people ask if that is her middle name.
Good luck with naming your child and just a bit of advice, don't spell it too strangely. I have seen so many bizarre spellings during my teaching years, it just confuses everyone. :flower:

grlzmom said:
This is a neat thread.

We have six dds and one ds. We chose dd1 name Holly Anne (first girl born each generation of my family has Anne somewhere in name). We didn't choose any of the rest of the names, we allowed dd1 to choose her siblings name and the kids after her continued to help pick their siblings names. So, we have

Holly Anne
Kaytlin Marie
Kelsey Maura
Emily Rose
Chloe Raine
and twins Noelle Victoria (goes by Bella) and Nickolas George Lovell (two middle names are for Grandpa)

I had no idea until afterwards, but Raine is a form of Regina, which is my mothers name, and Victoria and Nickolas both mean victory.

Holly, Noelle and Nickolas are all December babies. The rest are summer babies.

I LOVE the name Chloe...thats what I want to name our next dd *if we have one..lol* I also have the name Meadow in reserve.lol
I said in a previous post we named our 3 yo dd Nadia Amber.
I am terriable at boys names...But I really love Chloe. :Pinkbounc

We are a family of unusual names... mostly girls. My daughters are Lakyn and Langley. My little sister (Kennedy) has a daughter named Kamdyn. Boys in the family are Kaelan (pronounced Kellin), Collin, Forrest, and my personal favorite Bross (my grandfather's name). Good luck finding the name that "fits" your child!

When we were pregnant with DD, we picked her name easily: Katherine Michelle. In fact, we never even thought about any other girl names- both DH and I had liked the nickname "Katie" since we were kids. So, now we've got our Katie! :flower:

Boys' names were harder. DH has the same first name as his father, but a different middle name, and has always hated it. There were always mixups with telephone callers, and they used to get each others' mail mixed up. So we knew we wouldn't do that again. Then, we couldn't find one name we both really loved- I guess it's a good thing we ended up with DD!

The two names we both kind of liked were Sean Richard and Patrick James. I also liked the name Christian, but DH didn't.

Congratulations to you and your family! How wonderful!

When we were preggers, we had a boy's name picked out very quickly - he was going to be Jackson Alexander. When we found out we were having a girl we both fell in love with the name Skye. That was is it. Here name was going to be Skye. My mom had an absolute fit. She said we couldn't possibly do that to our daughter because our last name is Ward - skyward was just to weird for her. :rotfl: So then we came up with more names. I liked Savannah and Hannah and dh liked Matilda (I just couldn't live with that one). So here's what we did. I gave my husband a baby name book and I took one too. I told him to go through the entire girl's section and write down every conceivable possibility (since he was so picky and I really didn't like what he had been coming up with) and I would do the same and then we would compare our lists. In the end we both had the names Riley and Katherine on our lists. So she became Riley Kathrine (Kathrine (sp) because of a family name) and it fits her to a tee! It sounds like an Irish name to us and she came out with curly strawberry blonde hair and extremely fair skin.

Good luck to you. :teeth:
67193SLbeauty2sm-med.jpg

You've gotten a ton of replies, but I must add my two cents. ;)

When I was pregnant with my son, our first u/s said "he" was a "she" so I named "her" Julia Faye. Then I had another u/s due to gestational diabletes and "Julia" turned into "Chase David." Chase means "hunter" in French - very strong name!

Our daughter was a girl from the very first u/s and our choices were Olivia or Erika. The middle name was always Faith. (What happened to Julia? Didn't like it b/c of a kindergarten student I had that year). So when Erika was born, we named her right away. My first night with her I had second thoughts, but never changed my mind. She is definitely an Erika.

If I ever have a 3rd and if it's a boy I already know that I will name him Logan. I think I like Logan Shayne, but not 100%. But I LOVE the name Logan.

CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy and good luck with the name game!

Naming your baby wil be fun and challenging. I say try yelling the first and middle name and see how it sounds, kind of like practicing for real life when they get into trouble. my childrens names are:

Jessica Katherine
Hana Rae
Abigail Moira
Kaitlyn Joy
Timothy Nelson

we did not pick: Amelia (Timothy was supposed to be Amelia.. but life happens and she was a he :) )

we also liked victoria (tori), and heather for girls names

for boys names we had nathaniel, matthew and andrew picked out.

good luck!

Christy princess:

The name game is so much fun (for me anyway) :flower1: . But be careful, people can be brutally honest when it comes to a name. I have a 3 year old (Kaylee Rose princess: ) & a 2 month old (Shannon Maureen princess: ) and when we were trying to pick a name out for each one, some people were down right mean.
I remember I LOVED the name Erin and one of my best friend said "Erin - Uggh - The only Erin I know has Herpes" How awful is that. So, Erin came off the list (although I stil Love the name).
I also loved the name Avery and I told my sister that if we had a girl her name would be Avery. She had a look of total disgust and then told me she worked with a guy (who she couldn't stand) whose name was Avery and she thought it was a terrible name for a little girl. I still love Avery too!!

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!

We have three girls and each time never could agree on a boy's name-- so it's a good thing we never had to. For our first daughter I liked the names Katelyn and Kelsey (my hubby liked Sarah). Our first daughter became Katelyn Brooke (DH picked the middle name) Second pregnancy-- again no boy's name. I still loved the name Kelsey (hubby liked Sarah). 2nd daughter is Kelsey Brianne (DH picked middle name) During the last pregnancy DH really wanted a boy--but we couldn't even put together a list of any number of names. When the ultrasound prepared my hubby for his third daughter our families thought that it was really important that we name her something that began with "K" like her sisters. They said she would feel left out. I had had enough with the alliteration--so each made a list of 3 names. (Again, my husband wanted Sarah) We both liked Rachel and Samantha, but we also liked Lindsey. When I realized that Lindsey is part of both our other daughters' names KateLYN and KelSEY we knew that that would be our youngest daughter's name. Once I explained why we would be naming our youngest Lindsey Nicole, the rest of our family agreed that it was the perfect name and she would not feel "left out"

We named our son Brayden
Names that we debated on were:

Braxton
Connor
Bayley

Good Luck, Picking names is fun but so hard :flower:

I don't have any kids but my name is Nova and I've always liked it :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: Boy names that I've always liked are Jalen and Casen. Just had to add my two cents :confused3 :confused3

McKenna Lynn
Savannah Lynn
Kylee Marie
Samantha Marie
Sariah Marie

We choose to name our DD, Madelyn Marie, after my mother and my grandmother.

For name ideas, this might sound strange but take out a road atlas and look at the names of the different towns. I have a friend that is obsessed with Texas - not quite sure why since she has never lived there (born and raised in PA). :confused3
Anyway, she named her kids after towns in Texas.
Boys:
Tyler
Marshall
Cooper
Brady

Girls:
Bailey
Kendall

I named my DD Mackenzie because I liked it and my DM complained the entire time I was pregnant. Now, my DM admitted that she truly likes her name. It seems to fit her.
So go with what you like (and can get pass your DH). Congratulations! :flower:

Jackson4 said:
I remember I LOVED the name Erin and one of my best friend said "Erin - Uggh - The only Erin I know has Herpes" How awful is that. So, Erin came off the list (although I stil Love the name).

:rotfl2: THIS IS SO TRUE! I have similar stories when we were naming each of our three.
Hannah Marie is 10 and when she was born there was not one single Hannah we had ever met! Now it is soooo common ;)
Emma Cathryn is 8 (Catherine-my mother, Kathryn-dh's mother) again-no Emmas 8 years ago ;)
Lastly our prince, Samuel Christopher! I haven't seen Samuel here yet on this thread so there is hope we won't be trend setters with this one! In the bible, Hannah prayed and prayed for Samuel and her prayers were answered. :lovestruc That is how our Samuel was born! Many many prayers.

Blessings and best wishes!

Hello,
I have three boys so I feel your pain of the name "veto" by your hubby. I would obsess over that baby name book just to have hubby say no! Honestly though when the babies came it was easy to agree once we saw their little faces. Our three angels are Joshua David, Benjamin Palmer and Andrew Caleb or Josh, Ben and Drew to us. Good Luck with your baby and here are some names we didn't choose but were close.
Ethan
Cole
Steven
Peter
Jack
Mason
Mitchelll
Miles
Theodore

lillygator said:
We had a horrible time with DD#2....we loved DD#1's name so much we wanted to make sure our second was equally as good.

The day we came home from the US with our first we named her....it took us all night but we did it...no backups or anything...

our second took us a lot LONGER...and it was changed several times!!

Samantha Paige
Haley Nicole....

But for a boy I liked Drew, Brandon (we met in Brandon) I can't even remember....

good luck!

eta - I guess you asked what we didn't name them....well Natalie, Isabelle were both TOP contenders....that didn't make the cut!

I have a Hailey Nicole too! My DS is Brendan Robert. My DH is Robert Brendan I really didn't want a Jr., so I thought this was a nice alternative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter