OT: Baby names you didn't name your child

:) My cousin's wife just had her ultrasound and so far it looks like they are having a girl. She is still convinced it will be a boy though. LOL For a girl, they like Claire. For a boy, they liked Jack but had planned on using Dad's name for the middle name so it would have been Jack Russell. :rotfl: LOL They nixed that idea!

:) My friend is also pregnant and they like Alexis or Alexa Ann...Ann for his grandmother. Her brother has a baby boy due this month who will be named Brett, Jr. If he had been a girl, his middle name would have been Noel which is their dad's name (Leon) spelled backwards. :lovestruc I thought that was cute. :flower: Rebecca

My husband (ex now) is a III so my inlaws said that if it were a boy then we'd automatically HAVE to name him the William Ralph IV. I don't particularly care for how that name sounds together so if we had a boy I wanted to name him William Kenneth (William after him and his dad and then Kenneth after my dad).

We had girls - Mariah Abigail and Emily Renee.

He chose Mariah which I liked but the reason is because he loves Mariah Carey. So then he wanted her middle name to be Shania for Shania Twain...ick...Mariah Shania...ick...so I won out with Abigail.

I chose Emily right away as soon as we found out we were having another girl. It wasn't until we signed the birth certificate that we picked her middle name.

Dbrother and his wife are expecting and took my suggestion and are naming baby Alexander - I am so excited.

kelscross said:
...ick...Mariah Shania...ick...so I won out with Abigail.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Men :confused3

For the life of me I can not remember any other boy names being discussed for DS. He is named for a father figure of my DH. John Thomas. I love it, it IS very common though....especially with our last name.

For a girl I had picked out Jadey Catherine. I am not sure if that would have stuck if we would have had a girl though.

Tricia

I understand about the boys names turning into girls names...

My ds who just turned 15 is Taylor Alexander. He goes by Taylor. At the time I was pregnant I knew of no other kids with the name Taylor. Now everywhere you go you find girls named Taylor. He doesnt seem to mind, but it does bug me. I sometimes get the feeling people wonder why I named him a girl name.

DD name is Kaylee Elizabeth - I know Elizabeth is a common name but it is a family name so we used it. I wanted to spell it Kayleigh but DH said that was too hard for him to spell so I made it easy on him.

Other names I liked were Reagan, Raven (have a friend with dd named this), and Olivia and Layken. Boys names I like are Jaden, Joss and Oliver.

Good Luck!! :wizard:

Oh boy, don't ask me!!

Our ds didn't have a name until the month before he was born...and even then we weren't sure about it. We had a girl name picked out, because we had no idea if we were having a boy or a girl, but sure enough we had a boy, so I was glad we had discussed it ahead of time! His name is Thomas Reed (Thomas because I have always loved it and it's a family name on my side, and Reed is for dh's grandfather who passed just after we found out I was pregnant), and I have noooooooooooooooooooo clue what we would name another boy if we ever have one. :confused3 Boy names are a lot harder, IMO.

Good luck to ya!

We wanted an uncommon name for our son...we decided Noah. Along with 3 others at church! We were the first and the name kept coming. Now I know a lot of Noah's.

Our daughters name is Kelli Ann. We really wanted to name her Summer....but, our last name is Camp. We couldn't decide if she'd be teased to death or would have a name that just stood out.

When you two agree go with what you all like. Don't let others sway you.

Congradulation on your up and coming birth!

TC

Boy names we didn't use:
Drake
Cody
Scott
Jarrod (This was our #1 pick until that episode of ER where the mom died and the baby survived - that was the baby's name. Seemed like a bad omen.)

Girl name would have been Kimberly Ruth, but DS was indeed a boy (just like the sonogram said) and we aren't having anymore! :)

We picked out Julia before I even had the ultrasound done..so Julia she is. Still my most favorite name in the world.

When we first found out we were having a baby I think we thought of Jack for a boy(James for the middle after DH and FIL)..but while I LOVE the name Jack, I just was not a fan of something that sounded such like a nickname as our sons full name..so then we thought about Jackson, which doesn't really appeal to me so much, but I believe that was what we had settled on, tentatively..but I knew in my heart even before u/s DD was going to be a girl anyway so we didn't discuss it too much.

For DS again I knew we were having a boy even befoe it was confirmed by u/s, but even so we had a girls name set:Emma Grace..which I know is very trendy, but it's family names. my middle is Emma and my Grandma was Alice Grace.

It was very very hard picking a boy's name. I love the name Cole(was my grandma's maiden name), but our last name starts with an L, so together it sounded like a tongue twister.

My favorite boy's name is Jacob/Jake, but that's my nephew's name so unusable.
I thought Noah for a half a minute..then we settled on Nicholas James soon after we had the u/s done..and then I realized I didn't like the name Nicky..and my rule is that I have to like all nicknames because you never know what your child will end up being called. Plus the possesive of Nicholas was bugging me. LOL

My DH had said Matthew way back when we first started choosing and I said no it's way too popular..but after we discarded Nicholas the more I thought about Matthew the more I liked it. Love Matthew, Matt and Matty. Matt is a strong manly name. Classic.
So he is Matthew James and I can't imagine him as anything else. :)

we have 3 DD's (emma marie - 9, ava noel - 5, and amelia eileen - 3), so we never had to decide on a boy's name, which is a good thing!! we had alot of trouble w/ them. i finally told DH, this is the name unless you come up w/ something you really like. the name i picked was Brennan Fitzpatrick -- Brennan after my great grandmother (her maiden name) and Fitzpatrick is my maiden name. i still love that name, but he was never sold.

and by the way, i wouldn't worry too much about picking an unusual name. as someone who has an unusual name, i can tell you, it's no fun! i am constantly having to repeat my name, spell my name, explain my name. it is so annoying. and it's not like my name (Marta) is that unusual!! i think children like to have names that are familiar! JMHO!!

Good Luck!!

For our first daughter, we liked Savannah, but weren't crazy about the nicknames, Savvy or Vannah, which our family quickly pointed out they were going to call her. So that was the end of that name. So we picked Hannah, which was close and my mother's name is Johanna, and she thought we were naming her after her, so.....I just let it go, she was happy. If it was a boy, we were going to name him Noah. Well, we had little Hannah and two years later we had Noah, our minds didn't change, however, we did toss around Luke and Tanner briefly. Noah was the only name we agreed on. If Noah was a girl, he would have been Madeline. It is funny, we thought Hannah and Noah were going to be somewhat unique, however, it seems there a million of kids named those names now!! Figures!!

First of all, CONGRATS on your pregnancy!

You asked about names one did not choose....

My 1st (successful) pregnancy resulted in our DD6, whose name is
Eden Allyssa. DH allowed me to name her (and our second success- our son) as I believe he had complete trust in my decision - his only request was no "juniors" (and DH has a nice name). My other choice was Julia Ann, or I could have combined the 2 into Julianne, Katherine (never got around to a middle name on that one), and I liked Meadow, but it did not sound right with our last name. I wanted a cool sounding name that was original and not popular, and did not sound too "girly-girl", which is why I went with the name I choose. Our DD loves her name and I have yet to come across another with her name, neither in her school (K thru grade 8), nor in our pediatrician's office.

When DS4 came along 2 1/2 years later, his name was already chosen (again by me) as it was my name for #1 had she been a boy. His name is
Gage William, and yes, I am a Stephen King fan. Again, I did not wish to name him something too common - especially since his sister did not have a common name. Now I also liked Nathaniel (we would have called him "Nate" for short), and Jack - so if I had 2 boys, one would have been Gage and the other something else......

Overall, I am (extremely) pleased to have one of each (boy and girl), and we are DONE so no more name games for us. I liked the names I chose and so does DH - as do the children themselves, so I feel I did allright. I do not care for my name and never did (my parents obviously liked it :rolleyes: ), so I just hoped that whatever I choose, my children would like their names. It never really bothered me if others did not like the names since I didn't neccesarily agree with some choices that others have named their children, so whatever you decide, just be sure that you and your DH agree on it.

Good luck and have a healthy pregnancy!!!

Congratulations!

We named our son Gregory.

These are the name we did not choose:

Sarah, Jennifer, Ava, Jason, Jordan, Jonathan, Noah.

when choosing potential names my husband and myself could not agree on anything until I suggested jesse he said he liked it so we decided it would be jesse for a boy or a girl ( spelling would not change for a girl ) The 'bomb' fell when I told everyone we would be giving the child my husbands name as the middle name, again wheather it was a boy or a girl. We deceided to use it because he is a only child and I wanted his name to be carried on, so our daughters full name is Jesse James S.

I did like the name chelsea until we adopted a dog pre-baby that already had that name, so that meant that was out of the question. :rotfl:

Congratulations!

We didn't share names for our first pregnancy, which was a good thing. But we had to for our second, because DH's sister was due at the same time and we both liked some of the same boy names. Worked that out by both having girls, lol!

Boys names we liked but didn't use:
cole
trevor (???)
Liam (love but so did a lot of our friends)
eta: Noah (!)

The only other girl name I liked -- Charlotte

There are a lot of beautiful girls names but it's hard to find something less popular (important to us). Also, many girls names used to be boys names and I just wanted to avoid that.

What we went with -- Griffin & Tessa.

well I have 4 daughters and I can give you the boy names I picked out now I am not saying I like them now but here were my names
1 Jessie Salvatore
2 Jason Noah
3.Griffen
4. Sonteago

This is a neat thread.

We have six dds and one ds. We chose dd1 name Holly Anne (first girl born each generation of my family has Anne somewhere in name). We didn't choose any of the rest of the names, we allowed dd1 to choose her siblings name and the kids after her continued to help pick their siblings names. So, we have

Holly Anne
Kaytlin Marie
Kelsey Maura
Emily Rose
Chloe Raine
and twins Noelle Victoria (goes by Bella) and Nickolas George Lovell (two middle names are for Grandpa)

I had no idea until afterwards, but Raine is a form of Regina, which is my mothers name, and Victoria and Nickolas both mean victory.

Holly, Noelle and Nickolas are all December babies. The rest are summer babies.

Our rule for names were that we name him what we are going to call him or her. Dh uses his middle name and hate the hassel of it. We narrowed down our choices to two boys and two girls

Jordan Alan
Kaleb Alan
Ashley Michelle
Katie Nichole

If it was a boy, I choose from these two, a girl DH choose. He was Jordan Alan and it fits hit well.

If I was choosing now I like

Kolby
Karrigan
Chole
Kreighton
Dillon
Grace
Jason
Michaela
Zoe

Our favorite girl name created a double H that sounded terrible so we passes.

In the last year at church we had 6 boys in three months,
Ty, Jack, Jake, Josh, Lee & Ben....Seems the short strong names are making a comeback!!!

Have FUN choosing.

Jordans' mom

Our oldest DD (13) is named Cassidy Cheyenne...we came up with her name playing the alphabet game...you know the one...A is for Alice.
Had she been a boy she would have been Aidan Floyd or Jeffrey Floyd(Floyd is my grandpa's name...love him dearly but would not saddle a child with that first name!)

Cassidy knew that she was getting a baby sister for her birthday(she knew we didn't...no indication either way on ultra sound) so we let her pick out names for her sibling she (at 3 and 9 months) picked Abigail (Abi for short) and Brett those were her only not ewwww names. She was right she got an Abi for her 4th birthday.

so Aidan and Brett are our off the beaten path boys names.

Hope we've helped.

I love the boy name BRADEN. If our second child had been a boy, that is the name I would have picked.

Our DD's name is JILLIAN LEIGH. DH picked her name and now I absolutely LOVE it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter