Opinions please....

Disney 2016 -- What timeframe would you choose?

• March Break - Crazy crowds but weather might be better and discounts available.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • End of August - Lower crowds, discounts available but weather may be too hot/humid/unpredictable

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Christmas Week - Crazy crowds, max prices, no discounts --- but hey... it's Christmas at WDW

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Best_Vacation_EVER!

DIS Veteran
We're looking at our 2016 options and we have narrowed them down to the following:

1/ March Break -- My son's school will be in March Break for March 14th to 18th (we'll go for 10 nights --- he'll only miss one day or two days max of school.) Discounts possible but our last trip in March had really high crowd levels....

or

2/ End of August -- No school to miss but we're a little worried about the weather (hot/humid/hurricane season) so we're thinking we'd do 12 nights, as we figure we won't want to be out at the parks during the heat of the day. Crowds will be lighter than our other two options and discounts seem to be offered normally.

or

3/ Christmas Vacation --- While we'd love to spend a Christmas at WDW it really is the worst of both worlds in terms of crowds and prices. The weather can also be a bit of a wild card... (We've done early December several times and loved it... but don't want to take DS out of school for more than a day or two so early December isn't in the cards for a few years.)

Our plans are to split stay between CR and BC as we really like the option to walk to the parks. Free dining isn't really too much of a draw for us as we find that it's just too much food.

What would you do in our situation?

we now have done March break for the last 2 years and I have been very happy that the lines have not been as crazy as I thought they would be. I was one that always went sept/oct and loved the no lines. But DW now only gets march break off and I was very nervous last year, but very happy with the result. The parks with the execption of MK were not too bad at all. MK as long as you stuck to a plan worked fine too. We would on all days be RP people and then head back to resort mid day for swim and nap. Head back after dinner and do the last of our FP and watch the shows. There were some FPs we didnt even use the last 2 march breaks because we didnt need them, go figure.
The split stay is great and that is what we have do. Last year we were BLT/BC and walked to all parks exept AK.
Best of luck

I voted for August. We always go in September and find the weather to be quite nice actually. Yes, it's hot but Disney World has so many ways to make dealing with the heat bearable (ex. queuing areas in the A/C, restaurants and gift shops are almost freezing, misting stations, water rides, water parks, pools, Dole Whips). Plus having lighter crowds and discounts available tip the scales even farther in its favour.

I voted March break.
This Aug will be our 2nd at WDW (once with FD & this year a magical deal at BC). It's hot & we tend to get cranky in the heat (doesn't stop us from going then though!).

We went this past March break & the weather was gorgeous. A really nice break from the winter. We got the Stay Play & Dine deal. 5 of us for less than $4500 CAD - we did drive though. If you aren't rope droppers August might be better - I'd still RD just to escape the afternoon heat.

We are going this Christmas as well with FD (we don't do Disney without a significant discount). It will be crazy busy, but we can't wait to see WDW decked out for the holidays - driving again for just under $6500 CAD.

I think the secret's out about the end of Aug & we'll see higher & higher crowds. March break might be insane in 2016 b/c of the way Easter falls right after - we are looking at March break 2017 instead.

I probably didn't help you very much lol!

I think I'd go for August. Less crowds, good discounts, and even if the weather isn't nice then you'll get to have non-park days enjoying the resorts!

I voted August. We've been several times in August. Yes, it's hot and humid, but the lower crowds in the parks is a huge plus. Last year we went earlier in August and there were significantly more people than late in the month. We've also been during the Christmas season and it was crowded. I'll deal with the heat for lower crowds.

I did vote August. Crowds may not be significantly lower but March break is likely to be insane just trying to check in (unless you travel with my dad, who is one of the "get through security 3 hours before departure, even though I have a NEXUS" types. Which in some cases is not a bad thing. But I digress). Yes, August is not ideal in terms of heat and humidity, but where I live (Toronto) it's not as if those things are foreign to us - it's just not at that mid-40s level.

March Break... well, my SO's busy season is pretty much right during March Break, so that is pretty much a non-starter for us - weekend trip to Montreal or Niagara Falls is more likely at that time.

Christmas... the prices are what make me hesitate, and I think I'd much rather do a cruise (DCL/RCCL) versus the parks at that time. If you can get away with going week after New Years that may be more ideal in terms of crowds and prices.

My vote is definitely late August. We go every mid-late August with our two boys (now 10&6) and compared to March the crowds are much more manageable. Take breaks throughout the day back at the hotel pool to beat the heat.

We have gone over different times through out our travels including Christmas/May/Oct/March Break and the heat in Oct made us all VERY tired (we have been twice then for MNSSHP) but if I had to choose right now I would go when there would be the least crowds. We had a glorious March Break trip one year that we used easy wdw to plan with until the last day when the US spring break began and you could not see for all the people at Hollywood Studios, I was scared I would loose my teenagers so I made us all hold hands-it was insane!

We have done May/Aug/Sep/Christmas.....Our favorite time is September, but since I got job in the school system we have been going last two weeks of August for the last few years and love it better then May or Christmas crowds wise. The weather is very hot but we don't mind it as all. The last week of August we find the best for crowds. But then again - anytime is good time for Disney :)

I love going at Christmas but last time I went during that time was 15 years ago so not sure if I would do it now due to the crowds. I also drove during that time so I didn't get dinged with the exorbitant airfares. I'm in the same position for next year as DH works as a school bus driver so he can only go when school is out. I think we are going to go during March break 2016 as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stand the heat at the end of August. I've been to South Carolina in September and I spent the week in either A/C or the pool.

we went for the first time this past december, the 13th to the 20th and we LOVED it. we arrived on a saturday and walked over to magic kingdom. it was PACKED, people everywhere, music, dancing, i thought "i am in the seventh ring of hell... what have i agreed to?!?!". turns out, we walked in during the middle of a parade. it was busy sat/sun that we were at magic kingdom. monday we went to epcot and thought.... where is everyone?!?! during the week, it was not crazy busy anywhere we went. weather was lovely, 18-23 degrees and sunny every day. i want to go back really badly and am worried if we *don't* go at christmas, i will be disappointed as it won't be as magical. it was beautifully decorated, extra fireworks for mickey's merry christmas.

I voted March break as well. We did August our first time (last week of) and swore we'd never go in that awful heat/humidity again. I'd rather deal with more people than the heat.

Depending on the age of your son - is there a reason you are only pegging school holidays? We pulled our kids last May (one in Grade 7, one in Grade 11, the other off for a year before University) - we spoke to all teachers at the high school, they were all fine with DD missing. The only teacher with an issue seemed to be the Phys Ed teacher - because she'd be missing the hands on weight room sessions - really? Anyway, they all got her caught up when she got back, told us not to worry about doing work on the trip (except the gym teacher who wanted her to work out at the hotels...sigh)

Anyway - if pulling isn't an option, or something you are comfortable with - I'd totally deal with the March break crowds over the icky August heat!

I voted March break as well. We did August our first time (last week of) and swore we'd never go in that awful heat/humidity again. I'd rather deal with more people than the heat.

Depending on the age of your son - is there a reason you are only pegging school holidays? We pulled our kids last May (one in Grade 7, one in Grade 11, the other off for a year before University) - we spoke to all teachers at the high school, they were all fine with DD missing. The only teacher with an issue seemed to be the Phys Ed teacher - because she'd be missing the hands on weight room sessions - really? Anyway, they all got her caught up when she got back, told us not to worry about doing work on the trip (except the gym teacher who wanted her to work out at the hotels...sigh)

Anyway - if pulling isn't an option, or something you are comfortable with - I'd totally deal with the March break crowds over the icky August heat!

Our DS is currently in Grade 3. During our last trip in early Dec 2014 (which was awesome --- easily manageable crowds, Christmas decorations/events, and nice weather) we took him out of school for 8 days. Teachers were wonderful -- the only work they assigned was to do a journal of his daily activities and present it to the class with some pictures when he returned to class. He had a very tough time though adjusting to getting back to regular work at school. Myself, DH, and DS's teachers all agreed that we want to avoid that in the future.

In 2013 we went in March and my DH hated the crowds. It was literally wall to wall people everywhere you went which is why we're thinking about August.

We were figuring in late August we'd do 14 days --- planning for parks in the mornings and evenings. In the afternoon we'd do pool time (maybe rent a cabana), movies, try splitsville, disneyquest, waterparks, etc.. that take us out of the heat.

I voted end of August. I have been end of August and December right before Christmas and Christmas is lovely and so beautiful and it was perfect tshirt weather. The last two days it was pretty chilly people with jackets and in long pants and big sweatshirts. But it was Christmas at Disney, JUST BEAUTIFUL!! The only night I can say I really noticed the parks being wall to wall people is at night at MK on EMH nights when wishes was on and when we went to see The Osbourne Festival of Lights. But we managed. I was still happy!

Although I am really not looking forward to the humidity, we get to stay twice as long due to the discounts. Therefore, more breaks allowed. I simply take a bottle of water hooked to my belt loop and one attached to my lanyard around my neck and I'm good to go.We generally hit the parks after lunch and do indoor rides and activities when it's really hot. And step into the rain during the brief thunderstorms to cool off. And we close the parks down most nights.

I really like the week before Labour Day...yep it's hot and humid...very much like July is in southern Ontario. But it generally has started to cool off here do it is a welcome break. We do early mornings, afternoon by pool and evening activities. There are lots of fans and misting fans in the park. Plus the stores are air conditioning....so is the Carosel of progress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter