Only carry on for a family of 5? Anybody want to help me?

My family does not hold any one up with our carryon most times we have connections to make as well so when that plane lands we don't mess around . On our last trip at easter we had 2 connections with 30Mins between we were off that plane very qiuckly and I have a 9 and 11 year old with a carry on suitcase and a back pack each.

Airlines have rules about what luggage can be carried on. So long as I am following the rules, nobody should be complaining. On those trips when I don't want to schlep the luggage into the bathroom and restaurant I will check it. But it is my choice. Usually I am not in a hurry to get out of the plane so I am not in people's way.

Problems happen when people don't obey the rules (howcum it seems like biztravelers all the time both breaking the rules and doin' the complaining?)

If the flight crew enforced the existing carry on rules there would be less need to re-arrange everything.

Also I volunteer for being bumped a lot, and if I don't have to check any luggage I have a better chance.

Originally posted by cudworth
My family does not hold any one up with our carryon most times we have connections to make as well so when that plane lands we don't mess around . On our last trip at easter we had 2 connections with 30Mins between we were off that plane very qiuckly and I have a 9 and 11 year old with a carry on suitcase and a back pack each.

Really? You may have managed to get off the plane quickly, but, how many did you hold up while getting at least 6 pieces of luggage and backpacks out of the overheads and out from under the seats? I will bet you neither noticed or cared.

Problems happen when people don't obey the rules (howcum it seems like biztravelers all the time both breaking the rules and doin' the complaining?)

I don't break the rules, one personal item each, which stows under the seat, I don't often travel for business, but, you can bet I am complaining about the ones that do break the rules. I wonder how many carryons would make it if they used templates on the scanners. Bet many would have to go back to the counter.

we had our backpacks on our backs as soon as we landed we never held anyone up as we were unable to get off as the rest of the people were still standing waiting to get off. I agree many with carryon hold other up but don't lump everyone into that same group.

Originally posted by LuAnimal
What could you possibly need on the plane that won't fit into a purse or briefcase (unless traveling with small children!)?
Lu

I generally take my handbag and a tote bag as carry-on. In that I can carry my laptop, camera, toiletry essentials and cosmetics, jewelry, a change of underwear and clean shirt, and my medications, plus a magazine or two for the plane with plenty of room to spare.

I agree, I don't know why anyone would need more than that in their carryon. More than that and I check it.

Anne

Would make boarding and deplaning a hell of a lot faster.
On the few occasions that I have been able to get out of the aircraft quickly without slow movers blocking progress in the jetway, I only find myself waiting at the baggage carousel because the bags haven't arrived. Passengers handling their own carryon has a minimal effect on the time required to load and offload the aircraft; it takes more time for some people to waddle out of their seats than it does for me to grab a carryon bag out of the overhead bin.

you can bet I am complaining about the ones that do break the rules. I wonder how many carryons would ...make it if they used templates on the scanners. Bet many would have to go back to the counter.
I agree with you on this.

Carry on passengers have no idea how they impact flight attendants, gate agents, and fellow passengers. I promise you, you aren't doing me or any one else any favors.
Additional checked baggage would have a negative impact on the number of mishandled bags and would require more resources for the airlines. Airlines have increased carryon space in their aircraft as there is competition to accommodate passengers who don't want to check their bags (primarily business travelers).

LuAnimal, I only called you weird earlier because you requested it. As far as laundry at WDW goes, it seems from posts that I have read that its a pretty even split between those that do laundry and those that think its not something to be done on vacation. I know its a 50/50 split in my family. This would make an interesting poll.

Well if you want to start here...NO WAY would I ever do laundry on vacation...it is vacation right??? I don't cook or clean and this includes laundry. Not to mention the chunk of time it takes out of my day...and my vacation days are valuable!

Airlines have rules about what luggage can be carried on. So long as I am following the rules, nobody should be complaining.

I agree. Although for myself, I prefer to check all except one bag with my laptop and reading materials, if I see a family of 5 come onboard with one (legal size) bag and a personal item each, it makes no nevermind to me. Go after the person carrying the oversized bag or two. You know those guys..the ones who have to shove and push and rearrange to get their item to fit above..then we all have to wait for them to try and pull it out from above, an dhope they don' tbreak out necks while it's on the way down. That's who the airline should stop.
It really doesn't matter if you have five individuals carrying one (legal) size bag and personal item, or a family. It just looks like more when a family is lumped together.

Not complaining BUT there isn't enough room for on board for carryons if every passenger takes the maximum. I've seen SW require passengers gate check luggage on sold out flights.
Really no point in lugging the kids and the luggage through the airport just to have it checked in at the gate. OP asked for opinions. Going through the airport (and security) with kids and that much luggage isn't really worth it.

Last trip to Orlando the luggage actually beat me. I didn't make any stops but didn't push ahead of people either.

BUT there isn't enough room for on board for carryons if every passenger takes the maximum

Since everyone doesn't carry it on (we don't bring all we are allowed..not even close..we use under the seat storage), that would seldom happen. Even with our totally booked flights I've never seen the carry on luggage on SW not all make it (not saying it doesn't happen, but that it would be rare, since they have under the seat areas and above the seat areas to stow it).
The thing is, there is nothing "morally" wrong or against the rules for this gal to bring all her carryon. It seems to me, some are saying, it's ok if it's just one person, but not if it's a family. Again, if they actually measured the carry ons, you'd see a lot more getting checked.

Originally posted by mep319
Well if you want to start here...NO WAY would I ever do laundry on vacation...it is vacation right??? I don't cook or clean and this includes laundry. Not to mention the chunk of time it takes out of my day...and my vacation days are valuable!

I do do laundry on vacation, but, the washer and dryer are right there in the unit, so, it is not a big deal to toss a load in and go on my merry way. I also cook, but, then again, it is easy stuff.
IF I were not staying at OKW, then you can bet there would be NO laundry and no cooking.

We were DVC members for a brief time and it was the one time I did do laundry since it was in the unit. An as you said I threw in a load left came back thru it in the dryer...that's a bit different but I'm certainly not going down to the resort laundry room to do it! I still didn't cook though!:p

The one time I flew PanAm out of Worcester, we departed incredibly fast due to the fact that no carry on was allowed period!!! It was 2 months after 9-11 so I can understand their policy. Also...once when we flew to MCO, all the overhead storage was used!! Someone in the far back reaches of the plane had to use the flight attendants storage area, in the front! There did seem to be a lot of oversized stuff being allowed on. Like I said before, I've traveled both ways. But, for the most part I check the luggage and carry a back-pack with essentials in it, as do the rest of my family...just in case our luggage doesn't get there when we do. I wish more people that do travel with carry-on only would be more considerate of others. I've had to wait quite a while for someone to take down their stuff and get all arranged. But, there have been some nice folk that have just moved aside to let us out.

Originally posted by DMRick
Since everyone doesn't carry it on (we don't bring all we are allowed..not even close..we use under the seat storage), that would seldom happen. Even with our totally booked flights I've never seen the carry on luggage on SW not all make it (not saying it doesn't happen, but that it would be rare, since they have under the seat areas and above the seat areas to stow it).
The thing is, there is nothing "morally" wrong or against the rules for this gal to bring all her carryon. It seems to me, some are saying, it's ok if it's just one person, but not if it's a family. Again, if they actually measured the carry ons, you'd see a lot more getting checked.

I have seen it happen a number of times with the plane only half full. some people were most definitely annoyed.

I have seen it

Half full and it was filled? My goodness..that's a lot of overhead space filled. The airline must have been using some of the space themselves...don't you think? Each case holds enough for several seats. We've been lucky, even with the over stuffed cases a lot of people use, even on full planes, that hasn't happened for any of the trips we have taken. It must really hold the plane up, since each person would have to go and check it and then go through another inspection.
In that case, you would think SW would start taking a look at that problem.

I have seen it

Half full and it was filled? My goodness..that's a lot of overhead space filled. The airline must have been using some of the space themselves...don't you think? Each case holds enough for several seats. We've been lucky, even with the over stuffed cases a lot of people use, even on full planes, that hasn't happened for any of the trips we have taken. It must really hold the plane up, since each person would have to go and check it and then go through another inspection.

There isn't enough room if everyone maxs out their carryon. SW has signs asking people not to be bin hogs.

DOESN'T HOLD THE PLANE UP AT ALL. The bags are checked in at the gate. The FA calls back to the employee who is boarding the plane. They announce no more "rolling bags" and will take the bag from you and give you a claim check on the spot.

On full flights I've seen them go around to people waiting on line and had them check the bags.

Very common on flights I've been on.

There isn't enough room if everyone maxs out their carryon.

My point was that not everyone does max out rheir carryon. Just look at this thread and see how many don't bring carryon. We see lots of people without much more than a newspaper.
It must depend on where you get yoru flights. Here in Albany, it seems most people don't bother with a lot of carryon (although those that do have it seem to be families and men with a really oversized bag.

The only thing I've ever seen gate checked here, was a stroller. I did see someone being told they had to go and check in their bag (they left, I assumed to go dwnstairs to check it) because they had three bags. I didn't even know you could gate check luggage.

I have seen it

No, it was from the Pax. Yes, each overhead holds enough for many seats and many people brought on a lot of stuff. It does not hold the plane up, the bags are gate checked. A gate attendant goes to the waiting pax and gives them a tag, which the pax fills out, and the bags are taken to the cargo hold.
One would think that the airline would look at the problem and I feel sure they have, but, it does happen. I have seen pax board and have to walk halfway back the length of the plane to stash their stuff. And, of course, play the fish swimming up stream to get the baggage when people are trying to get off.
The airline takes approx. one half of a bin in three spot throughout the plane for the pillows and blankets. One half of a bin in the back for the snacks. The rest is for the pax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter