Only carry on for a family of 5? Anybody want to help me?

zakatak

<font color=deeppink>Cinderella looked at me like
Well, this past week my dh and I went down to WDW for our Anniversary trip and only had carry on (for 4 nights). We breezed through BUF and MCO, and called Fl Tours after we landed (at the gate still) and just walked right to A35 as the car pulled up. We were out of the airport within 10 minutes of getting off the plane. AND when we left WDW, we walked past the LONG LINES waiting to check-in/check baggage, walked right up to the Southwest Kiosk, printed our boarding passes and breezed through security and were at the gate within 20 minutes of being dropped off. :bounce: At BUF, we headed right out of the airport after landing, no baggage to wait for...

So... we had dreams of doing this for our November trip with the three kids (4, 6 & 8). Here is my plan: each kid now has a brand new 20" roller carryon suitcase. I have a 24" carryon. DH has a duffle. We will be wearing our jeans/fleeces (coming from Buffalo). So, each kid has to pack another pair of jeans, shirts, etc... should be plenty of room in each suitcase for little clothes :p . I will also bring the backpack (activities for flight) and dh will probably bring a little duffle that connects to my carryon.

I plan on doing laundry half way through (or more). I'd rather sit by the pool and do laundry, than wait in those long lines to check baggage at the airport with three active (i.e. tired, cranky) kids!

My question for the travellers... is this doable? Has anyone tried this? Am I setting myself up for disaster (not having room for the "stuff" they accumulate during the trip)? Any advice?

Thanks...

Karen & Kids

Its a tough trade ~ when dh and I travel alone or together but without the kids we always just do carryon. With the kiddos, we have two girls 7 and 9, we always check the bags. Its just worth the extra 10 minutes or so each way or the tip for the sky cap if necessary. This way we can focus on the kids instead of the stuff.

We pack two large and one small bag to check - this is fine for our family of 4 for 5ish nights. We then pack two rolling backpacks with the stuff for the airplane. Personally I can't imagine trying to find overhead space for 6 carryons plus the personal items.

Lately (knock wood) we have not had any problems checking in, we use the regular line at Jet Blue and sky caps at AA or getting luggage timely on our last few trips.

We use TTC and the driver is usually waiting for us as we get to the bottom of the escalator. I have not had any long waits for the baggage, in fact just last week the luggage was rolling around before we got to the belt (jet blue at mco). If dh is with me we ask the driver where to meet him, if its me and the two kids I "let" him help with the luggage and then go get the car.

I do think you could pull this off but I have to wonder if its really worth it - good luck whatever you decide.

TJ

Personally I hate that they allow those 20 & 24 inch pull alongs as carry ons. It shouldn't be allowed. I'm sure if you do it you will get many evil looks from fellow passengers if you have all the kids do it to. They really take up way too much space and if you have 5!:eek: I woudn't do it. I always check luggage of that size a carry on is just that...a carryon. I don't think your little ones can "carry on" a piece of luggage that size. ::yes::

I totally agree with Mep319. I fly all the time for business, and nothing bothers me more than when people bring carry-ons that do not fit within the allotted measurements, or bring several carry-ons when you are technically allowed one and a personal item. In fact, this week, it bothered me so much that I am writing a letter to TSA or someone. I don't understand that they have such stringent regulations as to what you can bring on a plane, at PITT this week they closed the drop-off ramp entirely (you couldn't even drive up it), but every flight you see people who break the carry-on rule and get away with it. One would think it would be a safety concern. I'm sure if airlines started to get fined for not enforcing the rules, they would stop allowing people to do this (I remember shortly after 9/11 they went around measuring everything and handing out pink tags if the bags were too big, but that stopped about as quickly as it was started). By the way, on a flight this week, a woman who was carrying on a suitcase bigger than my checked one could not find a place for it (surprise, surprise).

We only do carryon because we travel standby.

DS pulls a small wheeled carryon and a backpack with his toys. He has done this since about 5, and is now 11.

Ds carries a toy backpack with her toys and night-night book. I share a carryon with her.
The big trouble is the car seat!
(But DH is a safety fanatic and insists on a carseat ON the plane.)

Rather than evil looks, most think the kids with their bitty suitcases are adoreable.The suitcases fit easily under the seats.

We can do this because we don't buy souveneirs, except maybe one per child per trip.

Well, Southwest carry-on limit is 24 inches. These carryons are 20 inches, well below the size limit. If each passenger is allowed one carryon and one extra "bag or purse thing", then what is wrong with everyone in the party bringing on a carryon within the legal limit? Each person in my family has paid the same amount as everyone else, why can't we each bring a carryon? As far as finding room, the last few flights on Southwest haven't had that issue... in fact I've seen entirely empty compartments.

Yes, I am thinking about it. It might be more of a pain lugging the carryons to the plane than it would be to check them. I really don't care about the evil looks, because I am within my rights to bring the 20 inch carryons. If anyone has a problem with it, then take it up with Southwest.

Thanks for the opinions, though. I didn't think it would turn into a carryon bashing :p . I think it will come down to packing and what we can fit and how busy it is the day after Thanksgiving.

And other than the carryons we have no other stuff, no strollers, no car seats, nothing. Only those carryons and my backpack. I think we will get less evil looks than the huge double strollers blocking the gateway and the car seats hitting people in the head on the way on and off the plane.

AND... we kid tested the suitcases... they can push and pull them just fine.

A 24" is technically too big for carry on on most airlines. It might work for SW, but if you are on anyone else it will not work

From Delta's site "All items must fit easily in a Size Wise™ unit (approximate dimensions 22" x 14" x 9" or 56cm x 35.5 x 23cm)."

So, you MIGHT get lucky but don't count on it. You need to downgrade the 24" to 22" (And yes you probably got away with it this time, but the family of 5 towing all that luggage will get the agents attention.

Now, once you lug all this stuff on board it is time to be nice. Put as much as possible under the seat. (At least ONE bag per person)

Second you may wind up with luggage ALL over the plane. If you do, WAIT until people have deplaned to go get it. Shoving your way back to collect it is rude, asking people to pass it over thier head to you is even ruder. (I let a man have it yesterday when his bag got dropped on my head!)

Third, if for some reason SW makes you check the bags. (ie. overheads are full) be polite. Calling the gate agent and/or the FA names won't help and will only make them more likely to lose your luggage (I have seen this happen several times!)

(And yes you are within your "rights" , but keep in mind carryon is a courtsey not a right.)

Originally posted by Wish I lived in Fl
We only do carryon because we travel standby.

DS pulls a small wheeled carryon and a backpack with his toys. He has done this since about 5, and is now 11.

Ds carries a toy backpack with her toys and night-night book. I share a carryon with her.
The big trouble is the car seat!
(But DH is a safety fanatic and insists on a carseat ON the plane.)

Rather than evil looks, most think the kids with their bitty suitcases are adoreable.The suitcases fit easily under the seats.

We can do this because we don't buy souveneirs, except maybe one per child per trip.

Oh, yes, really adorable with those rolling bags as they, being kids, don't pay attention to where they are going as they drag them behind them and accidently trip people. I find that very amusing. NOT.
check the bags, please.

Personally, I do not like putting anything in the overheads. It is a hassle to me to try and get those heavy bags down in such a tight space in a hot plane with people elbowing you around.

We all just take on just a backpack or tote bags for under the seat and those barely fit under NW seats as it is. We check our big bags.

herc.

My DD is a walking disaster by herself...we manage a backpack but that is about it!

OP-My intent wan't bashing but I travel a lot for work and it is one of my biggest pet peeves. All this airline safety but geez let people bring on a suitcase...and I'm sorry its a suitcast not a carryon! It maybe a your right but it is also my right to yell at those folks who lump me on the head with it...or be annoyed when they put it in the overhead nothing else fits...and of course when they access it while in flight we all get a joy out of those folks who move everything out of the way to get to it. Now you might not do those things but when I saw your post I cringed and had to respond! :wave2:

By the way double stollers and stollers in general are a NECESSITY of a baby/toddler. Carseats are an ABSOLUTE must. Bringing 20-24 inch pull alongs are not and should be checked! You are comparing apples to oranges! Not a fair comparision at all.

Originally posted by zakatak
Well, Southwest carry-on limit is 24 inches. These carryons are 20 inches, well below the size limit. If each passenger is allowed one carryon and one extra "bag or purse thing", then what is wrong with everyone in the party bringing on a carryon within the legal limit? Each person in my family has paid the same amount as everyone else, why can't we each bring a carryon? As far as finding room, the last few flights on Southwest haven't had that issue... in fact I've seen entirely empty compartments.

Yes, I am thinking about it. It might be more of a pain lugging the carryons to the plane than it would be to check them. I really don't care about the evil looks, because I am within my rights to bring the 20 inch carryons. If anyone has a problem with it, then take it up with Southwest.

Thanks for the opinions, though. I didn't think it would turn into a carryon bashing :p . I think it will come down to packing and what we can fit and how busy it is the day after Thanksgiving.

And other than the carryons we have no other stuff, no strollers, no car seats, nothing. Only those carryons and my backpack. I think we will get less evil looks than the huge double strollers blocking the gateway and the car seats hitting people in the head on the way on and off the plane.

AND... we kid tested the suitcases... they can push and pull them just fine.

you might find, if the plane is full, that you have to gate check those items. and, yes, while you are allowed the same as everyone else, there is something called consideration for others.
There is no way you can fit all that into the compartment over your seats, there. Depending on when you get to board that could mean your bags will be half way down the plane from you.
That would then mean, the person sitting under that bin won't have the room to stash his/her stuff, and, that person has the same right as you do. Not really considerate, wouldn't you say?
Double strollers don't block anyone as they are generally the first to board and gate check. The car seats are not an issue as they are boarded first.
The baggage handlers work very fast at MCO, often the bags are there before you get to baggage pickup, especially since I would imagine with three kids you will be doing potty breaks and they don't move as fast as two adults.
the size limit is 10x16x24 inches, it has to fit in that little sizer, if it does not fit, you have to check it.
Why scrimp on packing when you could take more, have room for stuff you buy, and not be a pack mule on your vacation?
Curb checking is worth it's weight in gold. Very few lines and that in itself is worth the tip.
MCO, as you know, is a huge airport, a 4 year old is not going to enjoy walking while dragging a 20" bag.

Do the children have or use the book-bag type of backpacks (You guys know what I'm talking about. The type that some of you used in college.)? My kids use their backpacks as carry-ons, and love it. 2 great things about this option..... 1) It fits well within the size limits and 2) No need to worry about other travelers tripping over the carry-on (since it's on the back and not the floor).

Just a thought.

Dave

zakatak, as you and others have already stated, it is so nice to be able to do carryon without any bags to check. I do carryon-only when it is practical now; however, I always checked bags when traveling with the family and the children were little. You or your husband may end up pulling or carrying an extra bag if one of your kids gets to slowing things down. You may decide, as you've already alluded to, that you have so much to pack and deal with that it will really be better to check most of your bags.

Two thing that bother me are people who don't watch where they are going in the airport and trip over others' luggage and people who insist on jumping into the aisle before the brakes are set and then insist on crowding me when I'm getting my bag out of the overhead. Most people learn after I knock them in the head with my bag...:teeth:

Originally posted by drogerstn
zakatak, as you and others have already stated, it is so nice to be able to do carryon without any bags to check. I do carryon-only when it is practical now; however, I always checked bags when traveling with the family and the children were little. You or your husband may end up pulling or carrying an extra bag if one of your kids gets to slowing things down. You may decide, as you've already alluded to, that you have so much to pack and deal with that it will really be better to check most of your bags.

Two thing that bother me are people who don't watch where they are going in the airport and trip over others' luggage and people who insist on jumping into the aisle before the brakes are set and then insist on crowding me when I'm getting my bag out of the overhead. Most people learn after I knock them in the head with my bag...:teeth:

wouldn't it make sense to wait until the crowd thins before trying to get your bag out of the overhead? I go nuts with the people that are trying to get to the back of the plane to get their bags when everyone is trying to go forward to deplane (not saying that is what you do). Another thing that irritates me is someone who stops dead in the middle of the jetway to put their child in a stroller. Why not move over a bit and let the people off?

Well - we only do carry-ons too. Both my kids (11 & 9) have rolling backpacks and DH and I have duffel bag type carry-ons. The kids also have fanny packs for a gameboy or book. We don't bring much and do laundry while at WDW. We also try not to buy too many souveniers (great that DD has gotten into the pins - they're small!) in the parks. On our last day we usually purchase a few things in our resort gift shop, and have it sent to us.

That being said, we truly do take others into consideration. We remain seated as long as we can to allow others out of the plane before we try to retrieve our things - often getting one bag at a time to let others pass. Then I go out and wait for each child as they become ready, finaly waiting for DH - that way all four of us are not in the aisle blocking others.

And I'm sorry so many people are bothered by this. I will continue to do this in the future, but will be even more aware of others, as annoying folks is not our intent at all.

Feel free to pack one carry-on for each person including the infant (with his/her own ticket and FAA approved safety seat which then does not count as a carry-on). But be sure the overall dimensions and weight are within limits for your airline.

But remember that most likely the kids have to carry their own baggage. Do a practice run at home, packing the suitcases (you can use books if you don't want to sort clothes that early) and having the kids strut about the back yard behind you. If you are a frequent traveler you can leave your suitcase empty for this exercise.

If the overhead bin space immediately above your seat is taken, you may definitely use space further ahead or further back.

If you have to check or gate check baggage, stop and remove valuables, film, medicine and the other things mentioned in the ticket jacket or brochure.

You have a better chance of getting someone to help you with baggage if you offer them the handle. Still, many people are unwilling to lift others' baggage into the overhead bin just in order to encourage more people to put baggage under the seat instead.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Airline gate personnel really should pull aside for gate checking all oversized baggage if there is any chance the cabin baggage space will get filled up.

As a former "carryon" person - I have to agree with most of the posters and say "CHECK IT". I've come to the conclusion it's so much more stressfree to check the majority of the luggage and now that you can do this at the kiosk with either Song or Southwest, it's so much more convenient than standing in line at the counter or even outside at curb-side checkin. The maybe 10 minutes you save when you arrive at your destination will be used up by bathroom breaks - and with the kids, I'm sure that'll take up the time.

Uncomplicate your lives and Check the Luggage. You and the kids will be much happier and then you don't have to deal with trying to get those heavy bags up in the overhead & then risk hurting someone getting them down. Your DH will be most appreciative as it'll end up being "his" job to deal with all that luggage.

Still, many people are unwilling to lift others' baggage into the overhead bin just in order to encourage more people to put baggage under the seat instead.

No, many people, most especially those that check their luggage, are unwilling because they don't wish to risk hurting themselves or others while performing this action.

Originally posted by Harambe
Well - we only do carry-ons too. Both my kids (11 & 9) have rolling backpacks and DH and I have duffel bag type carry-ons. The kids also have fanny packs for a gameboy or book. We don't bring much and do laundry while at WDW. We also try not to buy too many souveniers (great that DD has gotten into the pins - they're small!) in the parks. On our last day we usually purchase a few things in our resort gift shop, and have it sent to us.

That being said, we truly do take others into consideration. We remain seated as long as we can to allow others out of the plane before we try to retrieve our things - often getting one bag at a time to let others pass. Then I go out and wait for each child as they become ready, finaly waiting for DH - that way all four of us are not in the aisle blocking others.

And I'm sorry so many people are bothered by this. I will continue to do this in the future, but will be even more aware of others, as annoying folks is not our intent at all.

You considerate attitude is probably most appreciated by others.
Thank you.

Originally posted by Snoozan
As a former "carryon" person - I have to agree with most of the posters and say "CHECK IT". I've come to the conclusion it's so much more stressfree to check the majority of the luggage and now that you can do this at the kiosk with either Song or Southwest, it's so much more convenient than standing in line at the counter or even outside at curb-side checkin. The maybe 10 minutes you save when you arrive at your destination will be used up by bathroom breaks - and with the kids, I'm sure that'll take up the time.

Uncomplicate your lives and Check the Luggage. You and the kids will be much happier and then you don't have to deal with trying to get those heavy bags up in the overhead & then risk hurting someone getting them down. Your DH will be most appreciative as it'll end up being "his" job to deal with all that luggage.

Hi,
You cannot use the kiosk at SW and have luggage.

From the website:

Southwest Airlines Ticketless Customers, who are not checking luggage, may now check in for their flight and receive their boarding pass and Rapid Rewards credit at the Skycap Podium, Ticket Counter, Gate or new RAPID CHECK-IN Kiosk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter