Once Upon a Christmastime! A Nov. 2010 PTR! *Update 12/12, Disney Blues, pg 61! :( *

Wow-that's a hard one. I can't remember, but I'm assuming that you have a PIN room code you're using for WL?

If so, with the discounted resort rate/and paying for the DDP-how does the cost compare to staying at POR, rack rate, and not paying for dining ?

I've stayed at both, and I do have to say that WL at Christmas time is absolutely beautiful!

You need to rectify that list for the MK of "attractions" you have not done. And I would certainly be starting with DUMBO!!!! ;)

I can't help tell you what to do on you resort dilemna. I'm not a fan of the WL, but I understand it is beautiful at Christmas time. I've not stayed at the POR, but it really is a beautiful resort and I love the food court there.

That is such a hard decision!!! Here is what we did in January:

We had booked the buy 4 get 3 nights free at POR. Once I got my PIN code, I realized we could do 2 less nights at the WL for the same price. My DH and I decided that staying at the WL was worth less days (especially after reading about the bus system at POR). I am SO happy we went with the WL!!! Staying there was like an attraction within itself.

How much money will you save switchinng to Free Dining???

I saw go free dining; you are going to be at WDW and will have a FANTASTIC time no matter where you stay! I know if you are like us, that is a huge chunk of change to put elsewhere right now, too. Plus, if what you save isn't money that you need over the next year or so, you can roll it over in to a future trip! I went through the same thing for our trip last year and ended up going with FD; it was definitely the right choice!! You can always go visit WL and eat there, so you can still get a fix!

We love, love, love Tusker House breakfast! It was, by far, my favorite last year. We ate at Chefs for the first time last year too, and really liked it. We're going a lunch ADR there this time!

You have to ride the Jungle Cruise; it is so corny and fun! I love knowing that it was one of Walt's originals!

I like the Stitch ride, but it's nothing special. I adore Stitch though, so that's the only reason we ride it. I'd definitely check out Jungle Cruise and Dumbo (another classic) first!

TSM and the Beauty and the Beast show are two of my fav things at DHS! But, Belle is my favorite princess and we love going to shows. I have to tell you though that we saw Lights, Motor, Action on our honeymoon and were bored out of our minds. Maybe we just aren't in to that sort of thing, but we both thought it was a waste of time.

AND, Nemo!! You have to see Nemo!! DH walks around singing one of the songs from this show all the time. It's fantastic!

I just got off the phone with Disney...I did it! I changed my resort to Port Orleans Riverside and added Free Dining!!!! :cool1: :banana: :dance3: :woohoo:

I'm REALLY excited!!!! :cool1: I'm a little sad about not staying in WL, I stayed there last year and it was so beautiful, decorated for Christmas, and I really loved taking the boat to MK! But it's still not a good enough reason for me to justify spending an extra $900!! :eek: We are really never in the room anyway, so as much as I love my WL, it's really not worth it!

I'm happy to be trying a new resort, my first moderate! :) And I'm excited that there is a boat to DTD, since I hate driving there so much! I'm happy that if DH wants to rest or something, I can hop on the boat and go shopping! :rotfl: I already made my room requests also, I asked for either Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace, and a room on the top floor!

I can't wait for November to get here! :banana:

I just got off the phone with Disney...I did it! I changed my resort to Port Orleans Riverside and added Free Dining!!!! :cool1: :banana: :dance3: :woohoo:

I'm REALLY excited!!!! :cool1: I'm a little sad about not staying in WL, I stayed there last year and it was so beautiful, decorated for Christmas, and I really loved taking the boat to MK! But it's still not a good enough reason for me to justify spending an extra $900!! :eek: We are really never in the room anyway, so as much as I love my WL, it's really not worth it!

I'm happy to be trying a new resort, my first moderate! :) And I'm excited that there is a boat to DTD, since I hate driving there so much! I'm happy that if DH wants to rest or something, I can hop on the boat and go shopping! :rotfl: I already made my room requests also, I asked for either Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace, and a room on the top floor!

I can't wait for November to get here! :banana:

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love the POR.

Woo hoo!! FREE DINING! :banana:

Of course it has to end five days before I get there! :laughing: If it were me going, I would probably switch to POR and do the free dining. And the reasoning I would give myself would be that we could do so much with all that money saved. It could maybe even be put away toward our next Disney trip! However, if you think that not staying at the WL will make your trip any less fun, then don't take my advice. WL is something that is important to you, so I don't think you should give it up if it is going to make you unhappy. I'm sorry I'm not much help. :confused3 I just don't want to tell you what to do and then ruin your trip!

That's exactly why I switched, we will have way more spending money now, and we don't have to kill ourselves saving for the next 4 months! :banana: I'm kind of sad about WL, but it's not going anywhere, hopefully I will stay there again! I'm so excited about POR now! :cool1:

Wow-that's a hard one. I can't remember, but I'm assuming that you have a PIN room code you're using for WL?

If so, with the discounted resort rate/and paying for the DDP-how does the cost compare to staying at POR, rack rate, and not paying for dining ?

I've stayed at both, and I do have to say that WL at Christmas time is absolutely beautiful!

I did have a pin code that I was using for WL, it was 40% off the room, but even with that, it couldn't compare to switching to a moderate with free dining, almost a $900 difference!!! :scared1:

I know WL is so amazing at Christmas, I'm sure POR can't compare, but I know I will like it there! I just hope I get to stay in the mansions section! :cool1:

You need to rectify that list for the MK of "attractions" you have not done. And I would certainly be starting with DUMBO!!!! ;)

I can't help tell you what to do on you resort dilemna. I'm not a fan of the WL, but I understand it is beautiful at Christmas time. I've not stayed at the POR, but it really is a beautiful resort and I love the food court there.

LOL, don't worry, Dumbo is on my list of must do's this year! I know I went on it when I was 7, but I really don't remember it! It's a classic, I have to do it this year!

One of the reasons I picked POR is the food court! I was debating, yet again, between POR and CSR, but I picked POR for the food court and the fact that CSR seems to be a more summery resort, and I wanted the resort that would give me the most Christmas-y feel! :rotfl: I do want to try CSR someday though, I know you love it! :)

That is such a hard decision!!! Here is what we did in January:

We had booked the buy 4 get 3 nights free at POR. Once I got my PIN code, I realized we could do 2 less nights at the WL for the same price. My DH and I decided that staying at the WL was worth less days (especially after reading about the bus system at POR). I am SO happy we went with the WL!!! Staying there was like an attraction within itself.

How much money will you save switchinng to Free Dining???

There is no way I could give up nights at Disney to stay deluxe!!! :rotfl: It sounds like a good idea, just like doing a split stay sounds good, but I just don't see it working for me! I want to do the most nights possible, so if staying at a mod or even a value is what I have to do, then that's what I'll do! :rotfl2:

We're saving about $900, a little less! SOOOOO happy with my decision! (Although to be fair, I woke DH up about this when I found out free dining was extended, screaming "FREE DINING WAS EXTENDED THROUGH DECEMBER!!!" and told him how much we would save and he said do it! He doesn't care where we stay, he's just happy we're saving so much!) :cool1:

I saw go free dining; you are going to be at WDW and will have a FANTASTIC time no matter where you stay! I know if you are like us, that is a huge chunk of change to put elsewhere right now, too. Plus, if what you save isn't money that you need over the next year or so, you can roll it over in to a future trip! I went through the same thing for our trip last year and ended up going with FD; it was definitely the right choice!! You can always go visit WL and eat there, so you can still get a fix!

We love, love, love Tusker House breakfast! It was, by far, my favorite last year. We ate at Chefs for the first time last year too, and really liked it. We're going a lunch ADR there this time!

You have to ride the Jungle Cruise; it is so corny and fun! I love knowing that it was one of Walt's originals!

I like the Stitch ride, but it's nothing special. I adore Stitch though, so that's the only reason we ride it. I'd definitely check out Jungle Cruise and Dumbo (another classic) first!

TSM and the Beauty and the Beast show are two of my fav things at DHS! But, Belle is my favorite princess and we love going to shows. I have to tell you though that we saw Lights, Motor, Action on our honeymoon and were bored out of our minds. Maybe we just aren't in to that sort of thing, but we both thought it was a waste of time.

AND, Nemo!! You have to see Nemo!! DH walks around singing one of the songs from this show all the time. It's fantastic!

Hi, Heather, you're here!!! :banana:

I'm definitely happy with doing free dining...I'm already thinking how this will help with my plan to get us to go next year (as of now, DH said no way! But we will see...:cool2:)!

I made my Tusker House ADR because you recommended it!!! I remembered you said you loved it and I wanted to try somewhere different so I did it! I'm excited to try it! :banana:

I'm definitely doing the Jungle Cruise, I'm really interested in doing all the classic rides this year! That's why I want to go to Disneyland so badly, I want to see Walt's park, the park he actually got to see finished and go to! :)

Another must do this year is Beauty and the Beast! Belle is my favorite princess too, so I know I'll love it! I even named one of my cats Belle after her! :love: I really have no interest in LMA, I just thought my DH might like it, but if he doesn't want to do it, I'm not forcing him! :yay:

Thank you guys for the advice about WL and POR! :goodvibes It was a very hard choice, if I had the money to stay deluxe every time, I would, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way! I'm just happy that I'm lucky enough to go twice this year and I know that where we stay isn't as important as just being there! I'm SO excited, I cannot WAIT for November to get here!!!! :dance3:

Yay! Congratulations! :hug: I'm glad you were able to come to a decision you were happy with. I can't believe how much money you're saving! That will be really helpful for your next Disney trip! :thumbsup2

Yay for free dining and saving so much money! I'm only saving about $160, but still, that's a pretty decent amount to me :) You'll have a great time at POR :teeth:

:dance3:

I thought about you when I got an email about the free dining being extended! I think you made the perfect choice by switching! For nearly $1000 in savings, I would have make the same decision for sure! Just think, with the money you saved on switching to POR, you can start planning another trip to Disney! :laughing:

YAY!! I'm excited to stay at POR for our trip also, we requested Oak Manor too! I am happy you were able to make a decision, and especially save money!!

Kammie :wizard:

WOW!!! $900 is SO much saved :cool1: Congrats my friend!!

Thanks! :goodvibes I'm still SOOOO happy about this! And I switched hours ago! :rotfl:

Yay! Congratulations! :hug: I'm glad you were able to come to a decision you were happy with. I can't believe how much money you're saving! That will be really helpful for your next Disney trip! :thumbsup2

Thanks!!!! :goodvibes I can't believe what a difference it is either...we will be able to pay off the balance so much sooner than I thought now, probably next month sometime, instead of the end of September! I can't wait to see POR now! I've been looking at pictures of it all day! :banana:

Yay for free dining and saving so much money! I'm only saving about $160, but still, that's a pretty decent amount to me :) You'll have a great time at POR :teeth:

:dance3:

Definitely, saving $160 is better than nothing! And the only reason it's such a significant amount for me is because I downgraded resorts, if I didn't do that, it wouldn't have been so crazy! I can't wait to be at POR! :cool1:

I thought about you when I got an email about the free dining being extended! I think you made the perfect choice by switching! For nearly $1000 in savings, I would have make the same decision for sure! Just think, with the money you saved on switching to POR, you can start planning another trip to Disney! :laughing:

LOL, thanks for thinking of me :hug: I have been going on and on about free dining for weeks, haven't i? :rotfl: It's funny, I never saw the big deal with free dining until now, I always thought people went a little crazy over it...and now I'm one of them! :cool1:

I'm already thinking about our next Disney trip...I'm REALLY hoping to convince DH to go in October for Halloween next year! :)

YAY!! I'm excited to stay at POR for our trip also, we requested Oak Manor too! I am happy you were able to make a decision, and especially save money!!

Kammie :wizard:

Thanks! :goodvibes I'm happy I could make a decision too, because normally, I would agonize over it for days! :rotfl: I'm glad I just picked up the phone and didn't, because if I didn't do it today, I probably would have just convinced myself to stay at WL! :eek:

I hope we both get Oak Manor, that definitely looks like the best location for the mansions! :woohoo: I don't really want to be in Alligator Bayou, but if they put me there, I will just nicely ask to be in the mansion area! :cool1:

Definitely, saving $160 is better than nothing! And the only reason it's such a significant amount for me is because I downgraded resorts, if I didn't do that, it wouldn't have been so crazy! I can't wait to be at POR! :cool1:

I can't wait to be at Pop :cutie: I was looking at upgrading my resort, but even with the free dining, it would've been more than I could afford. I totally can't wait, though :woohoo: You're gonna have such a good time at POR!

Yay for Free Dining!!

We thought about adding it to our package today, too but we currently have a 35% package discount which works out to be a better savings for us. Congrats on saving so much money though! Nothing better than going to WDW except going to WDW for $900 less than you planned on! :woohoo:

I think you will enjoy POR!! It is a very pretty resort. Personally, we love FQ better just because it's smaller in size but they are both great ! The food court is amazing!

I can't wait to be at Pop :cutie: I was looking at upgrading my resort, but even with the free dining, it would've been more than I could afford. I totally can't wait, though :woohoo: You're gonna have such a good time at POR!

I'd be excited for Pop too, we were originally going to stay there last year...then we upgraded to CBR...then WL! I don't know how it happened, but it did! :rotfl: I'd love to stay in Pop someday, especially in one of the new rooms!

Yay for Free Dining!!

We thought about adding it to our package today, too but we currently have a 35% package discount which works out to be a better savings for us. Congrats on saving so much money though! Nothing better than going to WDW except going to WDW for $900 less than you planned on! :woohoo:

I'm still so happy with free dining and switching to POR! I love how Disney has all different types of discounts so you can hopefully find one that works for you! :cool1: Free dining would have been pointless staying in a deluxe, it's not much of a savings there compared to the 40% room discount, but when you do it at a mod, it's totally worth it! :woohoo: Although your 35% off sounds pretty great too! :banana:

I think you will enjoy POR!! It is a very pretty resort. Personally, we love FQ better just because it's smaller in size but they are both great ! The food court is amazing!

I'm really excited for POR, I was considering POFQ, but I wasn't sure if I would definitely like it. I know I will like POR, so I figured I'd try there first and visit FQ while I'm there, that way I will know if maybe I want to try it next time! :)

I'd be excited for Pop too, we were originally going to stay there last year...then we upgraded to CBR...then WL! I don't know how it happened, but it did! :rotfl: I'd love to stay in Pop someday, especially in one of the new rooms!

Yeah, I put in a request for the 70s building :) I'm hoping I get it :teeth:

Hey Jen, I'm definitely in! I had to do some catch up so.

First off -- Brandon sounds just like my DH. Although, Aaron would never wear Mickey Crocs. But I think he secretly loves the place and won't admit it. I'm so envious you're going during Christmastime. It's my FAVORITE time of year to go. We went December 2007 and swore we'd never go during a different time, too. Well, that didn't pan out.

So funny, we first booked POR b/c we go the same pin. I kept obsessing over VWL and finally we were able to rent DVC points to make it way more affordable for us. Have you thought about renting? We're only paying $126/night at VWL! You can't qualify for free dining, but if you really want to do WL it's worth looking into.

One of my friends bought those Disney Park DVDs for me. LOVE THEM!!! I'm ashamed to admit this, but I actually watched one part at work the day he gave them to me. :rolleyes1

I can completely relate to your weight loss attempt. I'm the same way. I eat bad, and then I'm like...oh, I'll do better tomorrow and wind up doing the same thing. It's hard! The only thing that's really helped me in the past was tracking all the calories I ate. That way, I could visualize exactly what was going into my mouth at all times. It was a pain, but it was really helpful. Congrats on losing four pounds, that's awesome!!!

Whew...that was a novel! Sorry about that, but now I'm all caught up. :)

I'm here! A little late to the party, but better late than never! Your DH sounds exactly like mine!!! He says doesn't really like Disney, but he goes for me! While we are there he has the best time, it is too funny! Congrats on switching resorts and saving so much money!!!! We are staying at POP in December so we have more money to spend other places! Can't wait to read more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter