OKW lovers thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say thank you thank you thank you to whomever it was that recommended buildings 45 and 46 to me. We have been home just over a week from our first stay at OKW. We got a one bedroom in building 45 - first floor. At first I was a little leery of the first floor, but when I thought about dragging all of our luggage up those stairs - I was glad to have it.

We had a HUGE patio and AMAZINGLY pretty view of the canal. We really really liked it.

While it hasn't come close to taking the place in our hearts that VWL (our home resort) has (die-hard Moosehead here) it is at the top of the list of our favorite DVC resorts.

It was probably me who recommended that. I LOVE buildings 45 and 46!!!

Does anyone know if down pillows are available at OKW? We are BCV/AKL members and haven't stayed at OKW in a while, although we love the place.

I got up to page 151 and I have to leave. I wanted to make sure I subscribed. My family is going Dec 27 - Jan 5. I will have 2 teenager boys. I was looking at Building 41 or 43 to be near the Arcade and turtle pool. We are in a 2 bedroom Villa. Any thoughts or comments. This will be our first stay at OKW. Thanks.

I got up to page 151 and I have to leave. I wanted to make sure I subscribed. My family is going Dec 27 - Jan 5. I will have 2 teenager boys. I was looking at Building 41 or 43 to be near the Arcade and turtle pool. We are in a 2 bedroom Villa. Any thoughts or comments. This will be our first stay at OKW. Thanks.

The Turtle Pond area is our favorite. A couple of things you might want to know - the arcade there is not large; that might not matter to you; the one near the Hospitality area is larger. Also, I would not recommend building 41 because the view is awful (runoff pond w/ a fountain and a lot of traffic noise); building 43 or 42 would be fine, as would 44, 33, 35. It's not a very long walk from any of those buildings to the pool area.

The Turtle Pond area is our favorite. A couple of things you might want to know - the arcade there is not large; that might not matter to you; the one near the Hospitality area is larger. Also, I would not recommend building 41 because the view is awful (runoff pond w/ a fountain and a lot of traffic noise); building 43 or 42 would be fine, as would 44, 33, 35. It's not a very long walk from any of those buildings to the pool area.

Thanks for your info. I am so torn. I would love 45 or 46 but I am afraid that is what everyone else is requesting. I then was looking at 15 or 16 but then remembered only rooms over 30 have the second door to the bathroom which will be needed. I guess it is a good thing I have 6 more months to figure it out.

I have another questions for those folks who have just been there. When we were at SSR in March, their refills included several different teas. Does OKW offer them too? If not my DD may be driving over to SSR to get her teas. :laughing:

I've tried reading all the posts but there is just too many. I have booked a studio at OKW for my trip in December. My first stay at OKW, I only had 57 points and used 56 for 5 nights, you can't beat that.
I was wondering where the laundry facilties are? I'm just doing carry on for my trip and will want to do my laundry before I leave. Do you pay or is it like the other DVC resorts where its free ?

I've tried reading all the posts but there is just too many. I have booked a studio at OKW for my trip in December. My first stay at OKW, I only had 57 points and used 56 for 5 nights, you can't beat that.
I was wondering where the laundry facilties are? I'm just doing carry on for my trip and will want to do my laundry before I leave. Do you pay or is it like the other DVC resorts where its free ?

At OKW, the washers and dryers are located at the pools. They are free to use. You'll need your KTTW to get into the room.

At OKW, the washers and dryers are located at the pools. They are free to use. You'll need your KTTW to get into the room.

Thank you, the one thing I miss about staying at the value and moderate resorts is doing your laundry while your at the pool. It make better use of your time. That will make my stay a bit easier...unless there is a cold snap while I'm there and I can't relax at the pool.

Hi, Does anyone have an activity schedule for June? Or even one from May? I'm interested to just see an example of what they do now. We haven't been to OKW in years. Thanks!
Bump...

I would like this info too!

1st time visit to OKW in 6 days!

We have just booked a GV at OKW for our next Grandfamily Trip to the World in January. We're very excited to stay here. The resort looks lovely and I'm gleaning lots of great info from this thread. I do, however, have a couple of questions that may be buried here somewhere, I'm just too impatient to wait till I uncover them.:)

1) Are there really 4 bathrooms in all the GV's? That's what I've read on this thread but the DVC site only says 3 and that's what Member Services told me as well.:confused3 It matters because that will help decide if we need to get a Studio for my Dad or we can all crowd in together.

2) My Dad will have a scooter since all the walking will be too much for him and stairs will be a problem for him. Don't really need an accessible room but will need somewhere to put the scooter and he won't be able to climb stairs easily. Again, decision whether to get him his own ground floor studio or are there GV's at ground floor level?

Thanks in advance. I'm so glad I saw this thread!!

We have just booked a GV at OKW for our next Grandfamily Trip to the World in January. We're very excited to stay here. The resort looks lovely and I'm gleaning lots of great info from this thread. I do, however, have a couple of questions that may be buried here somewhere, I'm just too impatient to wait till I uncover them.:)

1) Are there really 4 bathrooms in all the GV's? That's what I've read on this thread but the DVC site only says 3 and that's what Member Services told me as well.:confused3 It matters because that will help decide if we need to get a Studio for my Dad or we can all crowd in together.

2) My Dad will have a scooter since all the walking will be too much for him and stairs will be a problem for him. Don't really need an accessible room but will need somewhere to put the scooter and he won't be able to climb stairs easily. Again, decision whether to get him his own ground floor studio or are there GV's at ground floor level?

Most of the GVs start on the second floor. If he can't get to the second floor, you need an accessible GV. I think there may be only three of them. So call now. There won't be anywhere to charge the scooter outside. Or get him a ground floor studio. He might like the quiet. But he won't be able to join the rest of the family for dining and stuff in the GV.

Yes, there are four bathrooms. The master bathroom, two upstairs (one in each of the two bedrooms), and one just off the entrance to the villa with a shower.

For the scooter - we had one at BWV in May. Just left it in the hallway, plugged in. Never had to worry about it getting enough charge or being in the way in our studio.

1) YES there are really 4 bathrooms, and all 4 of them have bathing facilities. The two bathrooms upstairs have tub/shower units in them. The hall bath downstairs (for whomever sleeps in the living room) has a walk in shower, and the master bath has a Jacuzzi plus a walk in shower and two seperate rooms for the bathroom.

2) You can request an elevator building for medical reasons if he really can't climb stairs at all. The only ground floor GV will be handicap accessible, so the kitchen and master bath will be modified in such a way that you wont like it much. There are 2 GVs in an elevator building, and one of those is HA and the other is not. If you are lucky you could maybe get that one that is in the elevator building and not HA. If he can climb a few stairs, the exterior stairs at OKW are fairly low rise, and even my DH who has horrible knees has very little trouble with them. However, inside the villa, he will either have to use the master or sleep in the living room, because the other two bedrooms are upstairs. As for the scooter...Even if you are not in an elevator building, they will allow you to plug it in at HH in Papa's Den. We had to do that one trip, and while it was a little inconvenient with having to take a bus to HH and then retrieve the scooter, it was able to be managed.

Two weeks ago, I invited DS's family to stay an extra day with me at WDW. I was at AKV, and couldn't get them a 1 bedroom there, but could at OKW. It was their first stay there, they were in building #17, had a nice golf course view and enjoyed it.:thumbsup2

[QUOTEMost of the GVs start on the second floor. If he can't get to the second floor, you need an accessible GV. I think there may be only three of them. So call now. There won't be anywhere to charge the scooter outside. Or get him a ground floor studio. He might like the quiet. But he won't be able to join the rest of the family for dining and stuff in the GV.

Yes, there are four bathrooms. The master bathroom, two upstairs (one in each of the two bedrooms), and one just off the entrance to the villa with a shower. ][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the info and you're right! With my 7 grandchildren around he might just beg for his own studio! :) He can climb stairs to a point but doing it more than once a day would wear him out.

[QU1) YES there are really 4 bathrooms, and all 4 of them have bathing facilities. The two bathrooms upstairs have tub/shower units in them. The hall bath downstairs (for whomever sleeps in the living room) has a walk in shower, and the master bath has a Jacuzzi plus a walk in shower and two seperate rooms for the bathroom.

2) You can request an elevator building for medical reasons if he really can't climb stairs at all. The only ground floor GV will be handicap accessible, so the kitchen and master bath will be modified in such a way that you wont like it much. There are 2 GVs in an elevator building, and one of those is HA and the other is not. If you are lucky you could maybe get that one that is in the elevator building and not HA. If he can climb a few stairs, the exterior stairs at OKW are fairly low rise, and even my DH who has horrible knees has very little trouble with them. However, inside the villa, he will either have to use the master or sleep in the living room, because the other two bedrooms are upstairs. As for the scooter...Even if you are not in an elevator building, they will allow you to plug it in at HH in Papa's Den. We had to do that one trip, and while it was a little inconvenient with having to take a bus to HH and then retrieve the scooter, it was able to be managed. OTE][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great info! That 4th bathroom is really an unexpected bonus! What you stated is exactly what I was thinking. I really don't want a HA unit completely since none of us (including my dad) really need those modifications. (I also would feel bad taking an HA unit if someone who really needed one couldn't get it then.) It's just too much walking and/or stair climbing is too much for him. He suffers from neuropathy in his legs (diabetic) and sometimes if he overdoes it, they just give out on him. I already figured if we have everyone together, he'll have to have the Master. Good info about charging the scooter at HH. I wondered if there might be some accommodation there at Luggage Services.

I do have one more question, is the sofabed in the living room comfortable enough for an adult to sleep on? We typically only put the kids there.

For the scooter - we had one at BWV in May. Just left it in the hallway, plugged in. Never had to worry about it getting enough charge or being in the way in our studio.

Thank you! I know when we stayed at Beach Club there were scooters parked in the hall as well so it must ok to do.

Hi all! We only have 4 months until our next OKW stay and couldn't be more excited. However we are now in the midst of booking a March trip where we will be staying in one bedroom for the first time as we will be going with my parents.

We haven't made any special requests on our previous two OKW visits because we don't have any special needs, but my dad has pretty major knee/back problems and while he isn't immobile by any means, having to climb stairs several times per day in addition to park touring may be a lot for him. My question is whether or not there are a good number of 1st floor one bedrooms and if people have had success requesting them. I don't want to request a space in an elevator building or an accessible unit as those should be reserves for someone with more serious mobility issues, but I'd like to make it easier on him.

Finally, I have read that only buildings 30 and up have 2 entrances to the bathroom in the one-bedrooms. I wanted to verify this and ask how much success people have had requesting specific areas. DH and I will be sleeping in the living room and do not want to walk through the bedroom to use the bathroom in the middle of the night (which I do pretty much every night).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

The 1BR units are spread pretty evenly though out the resort. You should have no problem at all requesting a 1st floor unit. When you talk to MS, be sure you mention that you need a 1st floor unit for medical reasons (no need to explain further) so they can note it on your reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter