OKW lovers thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 6 day stint at my favorite resort, got back 6/16/12! What a fantastic time, it was my friend and I, plus our 2 15yr old sons and 2 additional 15yr old friends. The OKW 2 bedroom was perfect and roomy; love the addition of that sleeper chair!

Arrived at 11am, and hey, for the 1st time at OKW our villa was not ready. They gave us the room keys but not the room number; they were going to text us when the villa was ready. I've never been successful at receiving a text from any resort telling me the room was ready & this was no exception. We dropped the boys off at the main pool and headed to DTD to get our AP's and a couple of water park tickets. Got back just in time for the, "Where are you, we're starved?" text from my son. It was a lovely, actually cool and breezy day for mid-June so we opted for Olivia's, outside patio with tropical music and paddle fans!

Olivia's bacon cheeseburgers & Cuban sandwiches, family favorites, the food was delicious! It was a great lunch and our waiter got to razzing the boys, we laughed, a really fun lunch and a great way to start a fantastic vacation! After lunch I called to see if the villa was ready and it was, no text!

Villa # 4222, 2bd, 2nd floor by the quiet pool, which I had requested, as the boys love the take multiple dips and I like to grill! Immaculate, noticed two changes, all white dishes replaced the old colored fiesta and 2 out of the 3 shade hardware mechanisms were pulled out from the wall. When it's loose it's actually easier to roll up & down, what a pain these are! This time around, view wasn't as important as the locale by the quiet pool, but it was still decent, "a corner of the golf green w/ a bit of rocks and water"

As Floridians and DVC owners it's not so much the parks that attract us, I've been to Disney 50 plus times, it's the resorts and what else Orlando has to offer. We ate breakfast in the villa every morning. Had a lunch there mid-day between our MK & DHS day, boy was it hot and steaming! Made baked ziti & meatballs, salad & garlic bread for dinner the night of our, don't tell Mickey, "Universal" day and grilled a marinated London broil on arrival night at the quiet pool!

It wasn't a Blue Zoo kind of trip, so with 4 15yr old boys, it was a "buffet" trip! The Chinese buffet, The Golden Corral (I detest buffets, but they have me with that Pot Roast). We had 2 ADR's, Tepan Edo, which we all loved and the other at Sci-Fi (But that was the rain day, so we cancelled it early and did Pizza Hut delivery and Salad at the villa instead, great call, it rained till 8:30pm!

We did Typhoon Lagoon, MK, DHS, Epcot, Universal and the 2 Outlet Malls, along with House of Hoops! (15yr old boys love anything Nike & Lebron’s (Go Miami Heat!) OKW buses, on time, no issues!

My friend and I took long walks in the early morning and late at night when it was cool. The boys played basketball, they love the resort also, we hosted them last June and it was such fun we had to do it again! A good time, but also a relaxing time, at 15 they can go on their own and at their own pace and so can we!

OKW is such a beautiful resort, and I already miss it! Next up, Kidani in August, it’s going to be hot!

Just finished getting all the processing and editing done on our vacation photos. I wanted to come here and post a link to the photos I took during our first OKW stay. We really liked the resort.. such a wonderful laid back feel and the rooms............HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway there are 31 photos so here is a link to the gallery instead of actually posting all of the photos.

I have to say - after showing some of my disney friends these shots I heard a lot of "we never thought of staying at Old Key West before. It never appealed to us, but now I want to stay there."

Sorry for letting the "secret" out. ;)

http://jenniferdifranco.smugmug.com/Disney-Vacations/Disney-Magic-and-Walt-Disney/Disneys-Old-Key-West-Resort/23730063_cbm7t7#!i=1921690817&k=QCZJTr6

Jennifer thank you for sharing those pictures, so beautiful!

Beaslyboo, your trip sounds like such fun, thanks for sharing :)

Just finished getting all the processing and editing done on our vacation photos. I wanted to come here and post a link to the photos I took during our first OKW stay. We really liked the resort.. such a wonderful laid back feel and the rooms............HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway there are 31 photos so here is a link to the gallery instead of actually posting all of the photos.

I have to say - after showing some of my disney friends these shots I heard a lot of "we never thought of staying at Old Key West before. It never appealed to us, but now I want to stay there."

Sorry for letting the "secret" out. ;)

http://jenniferdifranco.smugmug.com/Disney-Vacations/Disney-Magic-and-Walt-Disney/Disneys-Old-Key-West-Resort/23730063_cbm7t7#!i=1921690817&k=QCZJTr6

Jennifer....your photos are absolutely stunning !

Thanks everyone. :)

A lot of people spend a lot of $$$ on souvies from their vacations - I spend a lot of time taking photos - those are my souvies. ;)

Like I said before - we really did like Old Key West - it reminded me a lot of Vero which we also love. Very casual, laid back, relaxing. People seemed to be (to use my 19 yr old DDs word) chill there - not a lot of rushing around to get from here to there. People were actually mellow and relaxed - so nice after a few days in the parks.

On our last day TS Beryl went through and we didn't even leave the room except to check out a few movies and get some burgers at Goods to Go. And we didn't even feel like we were wasting precious time. It was nice to just sit in the room enjoying the rainy day and relaxing - while watching old Disney movies. We saw the Apple Dumpling Gang - and LOVED it. :thumbsup2

A lot of people spend a lot of $$$ on souvies from their vacations - I spend a lot of time taking photos - those are my souvies. ;)

Like I said before - we really did like Old Key West - it reminded me a lot of Vero which we also love. Very casual, laid back, relaxing. People seemed to be (to use my 19 yr old DDs word) chill there - not a lot of rushing around to get from here to there. People were actually mellow and relaxed - so nice after a few days in the parks.

On our last day TS Beryl went through and we didn't even leave the room except to check out a few movies and get some burgers at Goods to Go. And we didn't even feel like we were wasting precious time. It was nice to just sit in the room enjoying the rainy day and relaxing - while watching old Disney movies. We saw the Apple Dumpling Gang - and LOVED it. :thumbsup2
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for posting your pictures. You did a fabulous job!! They made me impatient to go!!!

Beaslyboo, so glad you had a great time.

Jennifer, love the pictures....going to try and get some of those great angles next time I go.

cheryl

Jennifer, Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures. Makes me even more excited for our 1st stay at OKW in 82 days.

i have a guaranteed hh reservation for July 29th thru August 10... however today i had knee surgery that was a little more involved than they originally thought. Do you think it is too late for me to get a two bedroom in rooms 61 thru 63? I really prefer a 2nd floor due to I must have fresh air while sleeping and leave bedroom door open at night.... would like to keep out as many critters as possible :thumbsup2

i have a guaranteed hh reservation for July 29th thru August 10... however today i had knee surgery that was a little more involved than they originally thought. Do you think it is too late for me to get a two bedroom in rooms 61 thru 63? I really prefer a 2nd floor due to I must have fresh air while sleeping and leave bedroom door open at night.... would like to keep out as many critters as possible :thumbsup2

Bldg 62, 63 and 64 are not hospitality house area. Plus you really don't want to leave the bedroom door open in August. Your AC will shut off. And if you have a dedicated two bedroom, that means the entire place will be shut off.

July and August in FL isn't the time to be leaving the door open anyway with all the biting, flying insects and high humidity. Just turn on the ceiling fan in the bedroom.

I must have fresh air while sleeping and leave bedroom door open at night.... would like to keep out as many critters as possible :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, the humidity ridden air (far from fresh), if you keep the door open, will force the a/c to keep running, unless you raise the thermostat to prevent it from doing so, making every other room muggy, damp and uncomfortable.

As for asst. bugs, flying palmettos, lizards, spiders, etc., they're equiped to reach the 1, 2nd and/or 3rd floor, sorry! :scared1:

P.S. The only fresh air we get in August comes from opening and closing the fridge door quickly and/or from hurricane/tropical force winds!

Unfortunately, the humidity ridden air (far from fresh), if you keep the door open, will force the a/c to keep running, unless you raise the thermostat to prevent it from doing so, making every other room muggy, damp and uncomfortable.

As for asst. bugs, flying palmettos, lizards, spiders, etc., they're equiped to reach the 1, 2nd and/or 3rd floor, sorry! :scared1:

i'm pretty sure that open windows + running the A/C also grows mold like you wouldn't believe. please don't do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter