OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Nope. It is scheduled for a major rehab starting summer, 2017.
Anyone that's stayed lately... does it feel run down compared to the other resorts? I'm planning a vacation to visit my dd working at wdw & last time I walked thru okw it felt run down like I might not want to stay there. I can use my timeshare to stay on DVC properties and right now the only property showing up are OKW and SSR. So I'm just wondering if I will be disappointed. We normally stay at BCV.

The very bottom of the Touring Plans overview lists average times. Take with a large grain of salt.
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/disneys-old-key-west-resort
Disney Springs and Typhoon Lagoon about 10 mins.
Magic Kingdom and Epcot about 15mins.
Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach about 25 mins.
This is from leaving resort. Buses can take at least 10-15 mins to loop resort first, so depending on where you get on add from 5 to 15 mins. From Millers Road its only a few minutes before the bus leaves. From Turtle Pond it's about 5. The bus can take longer around the resort if lots of wheelchairs.

Last edited:
Anyone that's stayed lately... does it feel run down compared to the other resorts? I'm planning a vacation to visit my dd working at wdw & last time I walked thru okw it felt run down like I might not want to stay there. I can use my timeshare to stay on DVC properties and right now the only property showing up are OKW and SSR. So I'm just wondering if I will be disappointed. We normally stay at BCV.
I stayed late August, it's lovely. Even though the rooms are going to be totally revamped this year and some elements such as carpets have clearly seen a few years' use, the rooms are in good condition and the resort as a whole is pristine. It's a different vibe to BCV and more like a village, but I loved it and suspect it will make a nice change for you, as it did me.

Nope. It is scheduled for a major rehab starting summer, 2017.

I just have to say WOW! When I made my reservation last week I was told it was "just redone and beautiful!" While mine is a cash reservation through the resort side, I can't imagine there are separate rooms for DVC and cash. Of course I was also told I had to go into MK to get a Dole Whip as they we no longer sold at Poly o_O (Pineapple Lanai is still there. I had a Float last Saturday so don't panic!)

I'm sure it will be wonderful though!

Liz

I just have to say WOW! When I made my reservation last week I was told it was "just redone and beautiful!" While mine is a cash reservation through the resort side, I can't imagine there are separate rooms for DVC and cash. Of course I was also told I had to go into MK to get a Dole Whip as they we no longer sold at Poly o_O (Pineapple Lanai is still there. I had a Float last Saturday so don't panic!)

I'm sure it will be wonderful though!

Liz
They are totally gutting the rooms and doing them in a more modern style, some have seen the plans and they will probably look a bit like the Vero Beach rooms. In fairness, some blocks last year had quite a bit done on them, with infrastructure issues such as air con ducting and windows been pulled out. They walled off some blocks to do this. Our villa in August also appeared newly painted ( no marks anywhere). But this is nothing compared to the total revamp coming 2017. The rooms for cash and Dvc are the same but I have read the odd story on TripAdvisor of unlucky people getting the odd crappy studio which didn't seem to be the same standards as the usual rooms when they moved- which is odd.

They are totally gutting the rooms and doing them in a more modern style, some have seen the plans and they will probably look a bit like the Vero Beach rooms. In fairness, some blocks last year had quite a bit done on them, with infrastructure issues such as air con ducting and windows been pulled out. They walled off some blocks to do this. Our villa in August also appeared newly painted ( no marks anywhere). But this is nothing compared to the total revamp coming 2017. The rooms for cash and Dvc are the same but I have read the odd story on TripAdvisor of unlucky people getting the odd crappy studio which didn't seem to be the same standards as the usual rooms when they moved- which is odd.

Thank you for the clarification. It's good to know it wasn't all a "Fairy Tale Story" :yay: We have a 1 BR so no crappy studio for us (hopefully!) I'm a picture nut so I"ll have pictures end of the month. I'm slowly collecting all the resort Christmas decorations! I'm looking forward to an Olivia's breakfast too.

I've chosen a lunch package for the Candlelight Processional as my birthday dinner (lunch) so ticking 2 boxes this short trip.

Liz

Thank you for the clarification. It's good to know it wasn't all a "Fairy Tale Story" :yay: We have a 1 BR so no crappy studio for us (hopefully!) I'm a picture nut so I"ll have pictures end of the month. I'm slowly collecting all the resort Christmas decorations! I'm looking forward to an Olivia's breakfast too.

I've chosen a lunch package for the Candlelight Processional as my birthday dinner (lunch) so ticking 2 boxes this short trip.

Liz
Sounds good. There is also a pool refurbishment, see here;
http://allears.net/pl/refurbishments-and-closings.htm

We stayed in a 1br on Peninsular Rd bldg 29. the second week of Nov '15. No complaints everything was well maintained and in working order.

Last edited:
We had a 1BR over Easter 2015. The unit was perfectly fine, though it did also overlook the canal, so I spent most of my time on the verandah enjoying the view rather than looking for reasons not to like the room!

We stayed in a 1br on Peninsular Rd bldg 29. the second week of Nov '15. No complaints everything was well maintained and in working order.

Thank you both! I did online check in yesterday and chose Peninsular Road for a chance of the Canal view. Just need to get through Thanksgiving now :)

Liz

Looking for information on the pontoon fishing at OKW. Has anyone done it? Is a reservation really necessary? How much is it?

Looking for information on the pontoon fishing at OKW. Has anyone done it? Is a reservation really necessary? How much is it?
Since they got rid of all the other boats, I don't think they have that any more.

We check in on New Years Day. I requested a golf course view high floor. We're staying in a studio at HH section. Is this request even possible?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter