OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Does anyone know where I can find recent pics of OKW? Also we are thinking of staying there in 2nd week of March....I see that the main pool will be under renovation through February..does anyone know for certain if it will be done by March?

Does anyone know where I can find recent pics of OKW? Also we are thinking of staying there in 2nd week of March....I see that the main pool will be under renovation through February..does anyone know for certain if it will be done by March?
You can find pictures on many sites, including right here on the DIS. All Ears too. And DVC News.
http://www.disboards.com/media/categories/disneys-old-key-west-resort.101/
http://allears.net/acc/g_okw.htm
http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/old-key-west/maps-a-photos-11821

Is there something specific you're looking for?

You can find pictures on many sites, including right here on the DIS. All Ears too. And DVC News.
http://www.disboards.com/media/categories/disneys-old-key-west-resort.101/
http://allears.net/acc/g_okw.htm
http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/old-key-west/maps-a-photos-11821

Is there something specific you're looking for?
Thank you....I was trying to see the main pool area...map...some studio rooms as that is all we will need. I keep hearing that the bus system isn't so great at OKW though and this is really deterring me. Also if the main pool isn't open that would be a deal breaker too. I appreciate the links though...

Thank you....I was trying to see the main pool area...map...some studio rooms as that is all we will need. I keep hearing that the bus system isn't so great at OKW though and this is really deterring me. Also if the main pool isn't open that would be a deal breaker too. I appreciate the links though...
Here's the map of the resort. The buses are OKW are just fine - no different than any other resort and some would say they are better as OKW doesn't share buses. I have been staying there for years and not once have I ever had a problem with the buses. As for the pool closure, here is what we know for sure. Everything else is pure speculation. This is from the member's web site:
Pool Closure in Early 2017
The Sandcastle Pool at Disney's Old Key West Resort will be closed for refurbishment from early January 2017 through the end of February 2017. The leisure pools located at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller's Road will remain available for your enjoyment. Please check back here for updates.

OKWmapcolor.jpg

Here's the map of the resort. The buses are OKW are just fine - no different than any other resort and some would say they are better as OKW doesn't share buses. I have been staying there for years and not once have I ever had a problem with the buses. As for the pool closure, here is what we know for sure. Everything else is pure speculation. This is from the member's web site:

View attachment 203922
Thanks again...do you happen to know how I can rent points from someone? If I am understanding things...if I book thru Disney I cant request a unit near the Hospitality Building/Main Pool but if I rent points from someone I can book a certain catergory to guarantee this? The resort looks huge (we are use to BC, Poly etc where everything is consolidated. I know I wont be happy unless I can stay in the HH area.

The buses are OKW are just fine - no different than any other resort and some would say they are better as OKW doesn't share buses.
Agree. You'll find comments about the bus at all the resorts. OKW is no different.

Thanks again...do you happen to know how I can rent points from someone? If I am understanding things...if I book thru Disney I cant request a unit near the Hospitality Building/Main Pool but if I rent points from someone I can book a certain catergory to guarantee this? The resort looks huge (we are use to BC, Poly etc where everything is consolidated. I know I wont be happy unless I can stay in the HH area.
You can rent a reservation from an owner (check the rent/trade board here on the DIS) or from a broker like David's DVC Rentals (http://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp).

To be honest, a lot of members don't like the HH area. It's too busy and too crowded. Although the resort is large, it's very easy to get around. All the buses stop at Hospitality House last, so no matter where you are you can hop on a bus and get off at HH.

We're staying in the HH area for the first time. Since we won't have a car I'm hoping the location is convenient.

so if we do book thru Disney in March to stay at OKW with the room promo...what are my chances of getting one of the HH area buildings upon request? I mentioned before that we are use to more "consolidated" resorts like Poly and BC so I really want to be close to the main building, food and sand castle pool. If in knew for sure I wouldn't get it Id probably just book CBR. Is there any way to word my request to give it a better shot?

so if we do book thru Disney in March to stay at OKW with the room promo...what are my chances of getting one of the HH area buildings upon request? I mentioned before that we are use to more "consolidated" resorts like Poly and BC so I really want to be close to the main building, food and sand castle pool. If in knew for sure I wouldn't get it Id probably just book CBR. Is there any way to word my request to give it a better shot?
You cannot book the "Near Hospitality House" villas directly through Disney. That area is exclusive to DVC members. You can request to be close to the HH area, but it is not a guaranteed request. If it is that important you should probably book elsewhere.

What are the chances, by requesting two specific buildings as a DVC member, that you will be granted one of those for your upcoming trip? We did the online check in and requested Peninsular Road, ground floor...but we also called and added that we would prefer to be in buildings 45 or 46. Good chance or bad chance, does it matter that we won't be checking in until hours after actual check in starts?

What are the chances, by requesting two specific buildings as a DVC member, that you will be granted one of those for your upcoming trip? We did the online check in and requested Peninsular Road, ground floor...but we also called and added that we would prefer to be in buildings 45 or 46. Good chance or bad chance, does it matter that we won't be checking in until hours after actual check in starts?
Online check-in cancels out any request you make with Member Services. Plus, 45 & 46 are probably the most requested buildings at OKW. I would say chances are slim, but no less than anyone else's. I would contact Member Services again and ask them to remove any requests except building 45 or 46, with Peninsular Road as an alternate.

Hospitality House villas (HH) is a specific booking category. So if you are a DVC member you can book this category if available.

Online check-in cancels out any request you make with Member Services. Plus, 45 & 46 are probably the most requested buildings at OKW. I would say chances are slim, but no less than anyone else's. I would contact Member Services again and ask them to remove any requests except building 45 or 46, with Peninsular Road as an alternate.
I did call member services, I figured online check in canceled the special requests out, so made sure she added them back in. I didn't realize those were the most requested, it seems more people talk about hospitality house area or turtle pond area...but I can understand why, that view is pretty great!
So we won't know where we are until we actually arrive? I know I am set up for text and email when our room is ready, but our group is all arriving at separate times with my parents arriving first. I'll have to have them sweet talk the front desk when they arrive. :)

Hi everyone! I'm heading to Orlando in March with my dad and looking to book a studio. I was originally planning Saratoga Springs (my home resort, but haven't stayed there yet), but I just saw OKW studios have 2 queen beds versus a sofa bed. Can someone confirm that is correct? I have to assume that a second bed will be more comfortable than a sofa bed. Also, is OKW the only studios with 2 beds?

Hi everyone! I'm heading to Orlando in March with my dad and looking to book a studio. I was originally planning Saratoga Springs (my home resort, but haven't stayed there yet), but I just saw OKW studios have 2 queen beds versus a sofa bed. Can someone confirm that is correct? I have to assume that a second bed will be more comfortable than a sofa bed. Also, is OKW the only studios with 2 beds?
Yes, ALL OKW studios have two queens. No other DVC studio does. All others have 1 queen and a sofa bed.

We will be arriving before check-in time (4:00). I have completed the online check-in. We will be having a car bring us from the airport to OKW. Can anyone tell me where we need to go specifically at OKW?
Any details about how online check-in works would be appreciated too. How do we find out where our room is?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter