Oh the Tragedy! No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake this time! Updates x 5 9/30

We had a great breakfast at Tusker House. My favorite food item was the ham. In fact, except for the juice, I can't even remember what else I ate that morning. But we enjoyed it.

I'm not surprised that you weren't hungry for lunch. It must have been pretty disappointing to miss another one of your favorite desserts.

By the way, that is a very nice picture of Paula and Hunter.

Brenda

I showed Wil your Tusker House review and told him I wanted to go to breakfast there. He looked at your review and said " well they have tater tots so i'm fine with going there":rotfl:

Just found this. :goodvibes

Caught up so far. I'm not one to respond much to the DR, but I love reading them.
Especially yours, sweet friend. :goodvibes

I had hoped to find the Tusker House breakfast to be more appealing. :worried: I wanted to try it. Yak and Yeti is sounding like a winner. We'll just have to see as the time goes on, it's hard to give up our BOMA breakfast and dinners on AK days. :lovestruc

Breakfast at BOMA is one Tyler hasn't tried yet.

Brenda, sorry you were disappointed with Tusker House. And sorry you didn't eat anything at Yak and Yeti. I'm pretty sure that's two dining sins I've counted so far this trip:

No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake
Not eating at Yak and Yeti (not even a cocktail to make up for the lack of food)

Oh, and let's gloss over the whole 'working while on vacation' thing ;)

I hope your dining experiences got better. No more dining sinning please :rotfl:

By the way, were you aware that you missed out on responding to a whole page of comments earlier in the thread ;)

Brenda, sorry you were disappointed with Tusker House. And sorry you didn't eat anything at Yak and Yeti. I'm pretty sure that's two dining sins I've counted so far this trip:

No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake
Not eating at Yak and Yeti (not even a cocktail to make up for the lack of food)

Oh, and let's gloss over the whole 'working while on vacation' thing ;)

I hope your dining experiences got better. No more dining sinning please :rotfl:

By the way, were you aware that you missed out on responding to a whole page of comments earlier in the thread ;)

Joh: I'm starting with a reply to you separately because....
1. Thank you for reminding me that I indeed failed to even have a cocktail at Y&Y, a first in a LONG time.
2. Let's hope there's no more Dis dining sinning! :upsidedow
3. And THANK YOU for pointing out my HUGE miss that I am correcting post haste. I can only imagine what I was thinking when I missed an entire page of comments. I was NOT intentional. :sad2:

To the following Disers, I sincerely apologize!!! :worried: I completely missed an entire page of comments. It was an oversight for which I am so sorry.

Jiko looks great! We're looking forward to going there for the first time in July. I'm planning to try the filet mignon, but who knows if I'll change my mind. I love going to AKL to eat, and see the animals too!

Thanks you Bonnie! I had the filet the first time I dined at Jiko and although a tad over-cooked, it was nice. It is back to being served with the mac & cheese so that is a plus!

Going to AKL is wonderful but add on dining at Jiko and that is a great evening!

Great Jiko report! I have never been and while portions looked a tad small, the food looked very tasty!!!

Hi Danielle! The portions must have shrunk recently. It may be Disney's sly way to cut costs... don't raise the prices but shrink the portions. But it WAS tasty - I assure you of that!

Hey Brenda, it is only since my trip in March that I understand now what a travesty it is to take a trip to WDW and NOT have the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. I demand you take action to rectify this immediately - book another trip to WDW for end of October ;)

Meanwhile, I guess I will have to keep reading even though we both know the dining reviews won't be the same without it.

Hi Joh! Thanks again for letting me know of my faux pas! Seriously.

Exactly, a trip without ooey gooey toffee cake now that you know how amazing it is, truly is a dining tragedy!

Uhhhh I'm going again in July and I sincerely wish I could do a trip at the end of October but I don't see it happening right now. :(

Thanks for following my friend.

Nice company for a lovely dinner your short ribs looked really good with yummy veggies, hard for me to see the portion size but for sure it looks like a entree I would love. I would really like to try Jiko's in the future after seeing a few of your reviews. In November we have Sanaa on our plans and this will be a first for us. I like the idea of staying at AKL in the future and trying both easily, but for his trip we are headed to WL so doing Artist Point and Narcoossee's nearby.

Looking forward to reading along and Brenda you totally do not look like you just had your 50th birthday!

Nice review, Debby

Hi Debby!

I tried to go back and find a better photo of the portion size but all of my photos don't really show the size. It wasn't huge.

Barb had a great review for AP here. I haven't been to Artist Point in a few years but her review made me want to return. Narcoosees is also a great choice!

Thanks! You are too kind. :) 50 wasn't bad... I just have to stop saying how old my kids are because when I say I have kids in their 30s people start to do the math and I'd rather have the illusion of being younger of course.

Great Jiko review! It looks like you had a lovely evening sharing good food with good company. :goodvibes

Thanks! Carol! It was a great evening since it was like a reunion of some of my favorite Disers.

Hi Brenda,

We will be staying at POR from July 18th- 27th leaving early that morning. We will be eating at Ohana on our first night for our first Disney meal. That was the last time we saw you guys.

Hi Karla! Aha! now I see your dates. Sorry I missed this. We overlap by a few days. We arrive late on the 23rd. Ahhh 'Ohana, our last meeting place.

Oh, I'm so in.... :banana:

Thanks for being here Tinker12! Sorry I'm a bit delayed in welcoming you.

Joining in!

Hi Liz! I'm so glad that you are here. Thank you for joining!

Hi Brenda! Awesome start! Jiko has easily become my favorite signature. Looks like your group had a fun time. Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!

Hi Jeri! Thank you for joining and I'm so sorry I missed your post before.

Jiko was a great start to our 11 days of Disney dining and this was a great group to share that with.

Looking forward to following along! We are new to the board and making our 2nd WDW trip with the family in September. Excited to pick up some tips from you!

Thank you for joining MatthewsFamily! Welcome to the DISboards. I apologize for the delayed welcome. :)

I'm happy to share our dining experiences. There are a lot of wonderful dining reviews on this board.

Interesting Jiko review. The company sounds great, as does a lot of the food, but it also doesn't sound as outstanding as it's been in the past.

Jiko is still probably my second favorite signature (after Artist Point), yet I don't find myself that tempted to return. :confused: Maybe things would be different if the prawn heads or peri peri chicken entree made a reappearance. :laughing:

Mr. DDW! I think the issue with Jiko is that they are trying to do what a lot of Disney places do and cut costs by eliminating things and smaller portions. For example, 'Ohana no longer serves grilled chicken. But they don't lower the dinner price. Just saying.... I do still like the food. I don't think the quality suffered; however, with everything becoming so overpriced I'm not sure what really sets this apart as a Signature dining experience except for the linen napkins. ;) (I exaggerate, it's not that bad1)

I'm going to agree with you about the head on prawn if I can have it delivered to my table de-headed. :rotfl2:

Thanks for a great Jiko rundown and happy belated bday. We haven't been in a few years but that lamb dish alone may change that. Hopefully it is still on the menu in September. I like you will be celebrating one of the "0" birthdays which of course has just enabled my decision to book a deluxe for the first time since I was a kid.

Hi Kari! Thank you! I think Jiko has had a lamb chop on the menu in some fashion for awhile. You should be in luck for September.

Celebrating a milestone birthday sounds like justification for a deluxe - you're worth it right? :)

Thanks for reading along!

I'm in and can't wait for more.

Hi Sue and thank you for joining in. I'm so sorry for not welcoming you sooner!

Thanks for the Jiko review Brenda. Maybe there was a stingy chef cooking that evening since all your choices do look rather small. Glad you had a good time and it was all tasty.

You're welcome Rachel! Maybe the chef's bonus is tied to cost savings so he's serving 10 portions from the short ribs when it used to be 5 portions. :confused3 For the $ it should be bigger although I don't mind smaller portions.

At least we didn't have a shortage of fun that evening!

Following!!!! Just got back from 9 days, so I am having withdrawals!!!

Hi Melisa! Welcome back from your 9 days at WDW! Thank you for joining here and reading along. Sorry for not paying attention and responding sooner. Big ooops! :)

I believe I caught up on comments pre Tusker House/Yak & Yeti. If I missed any comments I sincerely apologize!

Catching up on tusker and yak n yeti. Tusker is the only buffet on property I actually like so sorry you didn't love it. Then again I love curry and all those strange spices. If you go again try the Pap. It's a sweet corn concoction kind of like grits, but way better. I could,d eat a whole bowl of it, though sadly now sans Krispy kremes. Last time we were there we refused to have our picture taken without Donald. I'm clueless as to why they continue to peddle this without him.

Still haven't popped the proverbial yak n yeti cherry yet but may try and pop in for desert only at the bar next trip. We have an amazing authentic Chinese restaurant close to our house so to eat anywhere else would be like cheating, but as they do not serve desert I'm sure wontons would be allowed ; )

Funny you mention Pap. I actually did for another meal so stay tuned to see what I thought about that.

I agree! Without Donald, what's the point. It makes as much sense as Chef Mickey's photo op or 1900 PF where it's not a character photo. :confused3

I like your logic! Dessert at the Y&Y bar may be a great option.

If my October trip ends up being longer than a week (which I think it will), then I'm going to include a visit to Animal Kingdom. If I do then I will probably start my AK day with breakfast at either Boma or Tusker House. I was leaning toward Boma, and your TH review has me leaning even more. I've never been to Tusker House, so it was nice to see all of your great buffet photos. Thanks for taking the time to take them! :thumbsup2 While the character interaction there looks like fun, the food doesn't look all that special. I think I should wait until after your Boma review though to make up my mind. ;)

As for Yak & Yeti, I'm extremely disappointed that I didn't get to see a cocktail, egg rolls, pot stickers, or fried won tons...nothing, zip, nada. :sad2: I guess I'll let you off the hook this one time though. ;) :laughing:

I would choose Boma over TH. I prefer the omelet station at Boma and the atmosphere at AKL. I'm not factoring in characters since that is not a big consideration for booking a meal for me.

That big breakfast wreaked it for me! Darn! I plan to rectify that next trip!

Is this permanent that Donald will not be in the picture as you arrive Tusker House? If so then boo to that but I must say you all do look great without him : ) I never noticed the Mickey waffle irons so that was cool to see those. I like a buffet here and there but I think I'm lazy since I prefer to order, yet tusker house is always on our trip plans. Loving all your character pictures of all of you and it gives me hope that my husband and I will not feel strange taking pictures without our 8 grand kiddies.
Continuing to enjoy reading along ...

I believe it is permanent that Donald is now inside and not outside.

ha ha! I totally get the desire to want to be served! That's why I have a one and done philosophy so I can sit down once and enjoy my food.

Definitely there are plenty of couples without kids at these character meals. You wouldn't look out of place at all.

Thanks for reading along.

Just read your Yak n Yetti lunch .... Oh double tragedy dessert trip! No ooy gooy toffee cake & No cream cheese wontons!!! Love the menus against the glass while your on the phone (( funny ))

Exactly! I should have named this the epic dessert tragedy since it was far reaching beyond the ooey gooey toffee cake. ;)

Weren't those guys so helpful?? That was a funny moment when they put the menu against the glass.

Hi Brenda!! So glad I found your newest dining report masterpiece through Paula :thumbsup2 Your reviews are always awesome!!

Jiko looks awesome! We have never been there and hoping to one day. And Yak & Yeti is one of my favorite meals...so sorry you had to work through it - that always sucks rocks.

Can't wait for more!! popcorn::

Hi there fellow Southern Californian!! I'm glad you are following along and joining. Thank you!!!

Are you part of Paula's February girl trip team?

Yeah... if not for the work thing I may have had more of an interest in food.

We had a great breakfast at Tusker House. My favorite food item was the ham. In fact, except for the juice, I can't even remember what else I ate that morning. But we enjoyed it.

I'm not surprised that you weren't hungry for lunch. It must have been pretty disappointing to miss another one of your favorite desserts.

By the way, that is a very nice picture of Paula and Hunter.

Hi Sue! I should have tried the ham. I do like ham - especially in omelets. :) Whether jungle juice or POG (are they the same??) I love all those juice blends.

We had changed our breakfast plans after I had booked Y&Y and although we tried to space them out more it just wasn't long enough. If Michael had been in the mood for dessert I would have tried to heavily influence him to order the wontons and split them with me.

Brenda

I showed Wil your Tusker House review and told him I wanted to go to breakfast there. He looked at your review and said " well they have tater tots so i'm fine with going there"

Hi Beth! Ha ha ha!! I love Wil's logic! He'll do well eating at the kid's section. :lmao:

Just found this. :goodvibes

Caught up so far. I'm not one to respond much to the DR, but I love reading them.
Especially yours, sweet friend. :goodvibes

I had hoped to find the Tusker House breakfast to be more appealing. :worried: I wanted to try it. Yak and Yeti is sounding like a winner. We'll just have to see as the time goes on, it's hard to give up our BOMA breakfast and dinners on AK days. :lovestruc

Breakfast at BOMA is one Tyler hasn't tried yet.

Hi Camille! Since there's a huge selection it should have something for everyone. I wasn't disappointed in this meal other than the bobotie but that's because I'm not a curry fan. Michael really liked TH... not sure if he liked it better than Boma.

I'm a huge fan of Boma though... as you know, if I had to choose between the two Boma would win.

Yachtsman Steakhouse - April 29, 2014

DSCN8977.jpg

Dinner tonight was at Yachtsman Steakhouse which had been one of the restaurants that Paula, Hunter, Barb and I had eaten during our December Diser trip. My review of that dining experience on Barb's live dining thread is found here. Let's see how this compared to that dinner which had some issues....

This was the 5th time I’d dined at YSH and the 2nd for Michael. He couldn’t tell you what he ordered last time but he knew it was a grilled steak that was done to perfection. I happened to remember it was a Rib Eye so at least he had me to fill in the blanks. We’d had such a great experience that Em and I had returned several times since. Despite our last experience being less than stellar, I was wiping the slate clean, this was a new experience for which we set our expectations appropriately for a Signature restaurant.

Once seated, we were greeted by Ricardo, our very kind server, who took our beverage orders. A shared bottle of Rombauer zin for Hunter, Paula and me and an NA beer for Michael.

DSCN8995.jpg

Glass of Rombauer Zinfandel
DSCN9000.jpg

Soft candlelit table
DSCN8979.jpg

The menu selections:
DSCN8984.jpg

DSCN8987.jpg

DSCN8988.jpg

We greatly rejoiced when the basket of onion pull apart rolls were placed at our table. I don’t know if they got rid of the other rolls that they served with the onion ones but I didn’t really care since we didn’t have to arm wrestle over who got the onion rolls and who got the flunky ones. The roasted garlic has changed from being a bunch of cloves in a cup to having an actual bulb of roasted garlic on a tray. I like the idea of the presentation but honestly it is too much work for me to pop a clove out of the bulb so I just opted for butter. I believe that Hunter took on the job of popping the garlic cloves out of the bulb. As for the onion rolls, they were as fabulous as always. I could make a meal out of those and be completely happy. Looking back, perhaps I should have skipped having an entrée and stuck with the rolls but I’m getting ahead of myself.

The Most Perfect Onion Rolls Ever – Compliments of Yachtsman Steakhouse!
DSCN9007.jpg

DSCN9006.jpg

For comparison, here's the bread basket that was served from our December 2013 YSH dinner.
DSCN7135.jpg

Michael and I skipped appetizers and went right for the main event. He ordered the Rib Eye and wasn’t afraid of the bone marrow that accompanied the dish. I ordered the prime rib and was told that they were out. Oh man! Correction, they still had some end pieces but our server checked with the kitchen and they had an end piece that was cooked medium. I thought about that for a second or two and then agreed that was the slice of prime rib for me. I loved the twice-baked potato last time so I subbed the sweet potato casserole for the twice baked. We also added on a side of Brussels sprouts.

16-oz Boneless Rib Eye: Brioche, Bone Marrow, and Point Reyes Bleu Cheese Butter $43
DSCN9028.jpg

Michael’s steak was slightly overcooked; however, the bleu cheese butter was awesome! Although cooked beyond his preference it was very flavorful. And you ask, how would I know? Because I ate a big chunk of it! Because……this is what was served to me.

14-oz Prime Rib: Horseradish cream, au jus with White Cheddar Twice Baked Potato $42
DSCN9025.jpg

This is the hot mess that was served to me. Now it may look a little scary but looks can be deceiving right? The first bite was crunchy it was so well done. I thought maybe it needed some of the horseradish cream for the second bite. It didn’t help. In fact, the horseradish cream wasn’t very spicy and tasted slightly sweet which didn’t appeal to me at all. I immediately lost interest in my prime rib after that. It just wasn’t good at all. Instead of doing the reasonable thing and returning it to the kitchen I gave it to Michael to eat and he gave me some of his steak. He agreed that it was a pathetic piece of meat to serve a guest. However I had been given a choice and I’d chosen it. Hunter, our resident chef, agreed that the kitchen should never have served that piece of meat.

If our server had been present to check on our meal sooner we would have had an opportunity to call his attention to this misstep in the delivery of the meat. When we finally were asked about our meals we mentioned it was not good. Whatever he planned to do with that information I don't know since we were not offered new steaks.

The twice baked potato, although on the salty side, was decent.

Another view of this amazing cut of shoe leather.
DSCN9035.jpg

Moving on….we did have a side veggie dish that we’d ordered….

Brussels Sprouts: Smoked Ham Hock, Jerez Reserva, and Cherries $10
DSCN9038.jpg

What they omitted from the description of this dish is the SALT. It was like a cured meat dish it was so salty. I took one bite and ditched them. They were also a little too well done and over roasted. Another disappointment. We mentioned how horrid the dish was to our server and he said that he’d take it off our bill.

There were issues with the other entrees that Barb, Paula and Hunter ordered this evening as well so the quality of the food was not unique to just me.
Due to the multiple celebrations taking place at our table, our server presented us with trays of demi dessert morsels. Barbs and Hunter’s included a candle.

DSCN9047.jpg

Michael felt left out so added his own glowing touch.
DSCN9048.jpg

I don’t recall the exact flavors but there was a marshmallow, a caramel, a chocolate mint, and a passion fruit jelly and something else that was chocolate. A nice light sweet end to the meal.

Group photo
DSCN9063.jpg

Posing with Ricardo
DSCN9064.jpg

Using our TiW card we saved $27.60.

This meal isn’t one that I would want to repeat. (Except for the company of course.) If Em didn’t want to return to YSH next visit I wouldn’t book an ADR. So don’t be surprised to see me munch on the onion rolls and order a twice baked potato next time.

Next Up: Kona Café Breakfast

Hi there fellow Southern Californian!! I'm glad you are following along and joining. Thank you!!!

Are you part of Paula's February girl trip team?

Yeah... if not for the work thing I may have had more of an interest in food.

No, not apart of Paula's February girl trip team (I feel as though I am missing something though...:upsidedow )

I was reading Paula's Dining Report (It's Magical! A 10yr Anniv Dining Report with Extras!) and I saw in your siggy you were doing this one :cheer2: To say the least, I can live vicariously through you and Paula and all the wonderful dining reports for the next 373 days until my trip of gluttony. :goodvibes :rotfl2:

Yachtsman was one of our throw-ins as a "possibility" for our last night at the World but my oldest daughter is now leaning towards Narcoossee's. You wouldn't happen to have an opinion on that one, would you? :flower3:

I just found this latest report. I love reading about your many adventures,especially with your daughter. You inspired me to take my youngest daughter on a trip for her birthday over Memorial Day weekend. It was a wonderful trip that neither of us will forget. I laughed about your No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake . It was one of our must do's this trip but I just couldn't eat anything else. Of course, my daughter could, and she continues to remind me that I had to have a taste of hers. It was only half a spoon!

Oh man, your Yachtsman meal sounds abysmal. Considering the prices of a signature entree in WDW right now, how could they even serve that piece of meat? It's even sadder that the issues weren't exclusive to you.

Yachtsman hasn't been a priority of mine for a while (since I reduced my consumption of red meat), and I don't expect to rush back whenever I'm back in Orlando.

And btw, you're right about the cuts, such as 'Ohana - their latest change is a big problem for me. Besides the shrimp, the chicken was the only protein I was willing to eat (not a fan of chicken wings - too fatty and slimy). While I won't be returning to 'Ohana as a result, it's obvious that someone else will take my spot there and pay the (inflated) prices. Thus, there's no reason for Disney to stop the cuts. :sad2:

Wow, Brenda ... that really was a terrible looking piece of meat! I admit I like my steak more on the well done than the rare side and I don't even think I could have eaten that!

With having a subpar meal with Andrew last August and our experience in December and now this experience for you all, I am not even entertaining the idea of Jay and I eating there in the Fall. As I said on Barb's thread it is really too bad because I really think the best plate of food I have had in Disney was at YSH.

On another note, I have added Tusker House, more for the characters than the food. I have always liked the restaurant and thought the food was just Ok. Andrew doesn't like TH at all. So I am going to give it a try with just Jay to see how I feel about it.

We felt the same way you did about the TH breakfast, where is Donald?! I don't want a picture of just us against a wall, so we declined :rotfl: Peter was so disappointed the donuts were replaced with donut holes, that was his favorite at breakfast. I had a couple of the donut holes and thought they were quite good though.

Yak and Yeti appetizers are sooo good! No dessert :confused3 I totally understand being too full!!

I am still shocked over YM, you know I love that place, but I always stick the filet. I can't believe they would serve a piece of meat like that.

I'm sorry your dinner at YC was not very good. I can't believe they would even serve you a plate looking like that!

I have to admit, I am a little shocked that a signature restaurant, such as Yachtsman, would even consider that meal worthy of serving to a customer. I think it looks as though Sian and I made the right decision not to eat there on our March trip.

Hi Brenda,

That is one sad looking piece of leather on your plate. I can only hope that our anniversary meal in July looks Nothing like your meals did. If I get served something like that, for that price, what comes out of my mouth will most certainly not be "magical", of that I can be sure!!!

So sorry your meal at YSH was such a flop. Our first trip to Disney in 2002 we went to YSH and it was awesome. WWWWHHHHHEEEEE those onion rolls are so so yummy. The next time was not so good, except those rolls and garlic. I just found the recipe for the onion rolls and pinned it on pinterest.

I have booked Kona for breakfast for September. We have had dinner there but never breakfast. Had to try before they closed.

Hi Brenda! I'm looking forward to another one of your dining reports, especially since you went to several of our selections for our August trip. Sorry the Yachtsman was a disappointment. That is on our list. Eeek.

WOW Brenda- was horrible piece of meat they served you... have they no pride... I am not going back to YSH.... too much of a negative trend

Hi there and thank you for joining jstkpswimming!

I'm glad you loved Jiko! I agree, a fish head staring at me may make me a little creeped out! However, I'm glad to hear the filet is back and paired with the mac and cheese. I've had the filet in the past but it was with a pilaf that was just ok.

The filet normally comes with spoon bread, but you can substitute the mac and cheese!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter