Oh the Tragedy! No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake this time! Updates x 5 9/30

Our next trip is june 2015, I plan on purchasing a AP for myself and getting the TIW card...:) love to see all your yummy food reviews!!!!:thumbsup2

Yikes on your prime rib ... I have shoes with softer leather than that piece of meat! They should of just said they were sold out on prime rib rather than serve you that eeeww! Even your potatoes looks done and not a good done. Also your husband's beautiful rib eye does look over cooked as well. I'm always so surprised at restaurants that specialize in steaks that can't cook a meat to order.
Upside beautiful company, delicious onion rolls and nice wine : )

It's still going to be a little while before I get to my YSH review. Was hoping to do it before I left tomorrow but I have a whole previous day to get through first! So yeah... not going to happen.

This was not a pleasant meal at all unfortunately. I have to admit that Michael's Ribeye at least actually LOOKS like a Ribeye, unlike mine which was a VERY poor cut of meat.

Only two more meals to get to the tale of the TRAGEDY!!

It’s so very helpful to show me the menu through the window.
DSCN8751.jpg

:rotfl2: OMG! No they didn't? :rotfl2:

So - breakfast was a fail. Bummer. I have never had TH breakfast and I can't stand stale cinnamon rolls. I have to agree that subbing KK for donut holes is just wrong. This is one of the things I don't like about Disney. They have jacked up the food prices but they are making more and more small cuts to things and its starting to show.

Dinner sounds like a total disaster. I have never eaten at Yachtsman. I want to, but its a steakhouse and I vastly prefer seafood over steak. It's got to be the most perfect steak ever and I am so afraid of a fail like that. Thank goodness good company redeemed the meal.

Looking forward to more reviews.

Waiter: what would you like for dinner tonight?
Brenda: I'd really love some shoe leather swimming in brown juice with a side of whip cream
Waiter: you're in luck that is the house specialty

Seriously can't believe someone would even serve that, let alone a disney restaurant. Shame on the chef. Read barbs report too and hers was pretty bad too (though at least looked appetizing). We will stay far, far away.

O.k. Felt really bad for you at Yak and Yeti! That is one of our top 5 .. of course, it's because of the wontons. I don't know what I would do if I could not enjoy that meal.

When my DF and I went to YSH, I was coming down with a head cold. I could not taste anything (Unless I blew my nose and tried the food at that moment). I did not enjoy it at all. I keep asking my DH if he could chose between YSH and Le Cellier... He tells me YSH. Of course, I couldn't tell you what I thought... It was sad. :confused3

hi there! nice to meetya!

wow about that end cut. I work at a steak house. they should have at least turned it over. I know endcuts are served that way, but maybe if they had flipped it it wouldn't have kept cooking (being in contact with the warm plate)

since there was doubt about it from the get go, the server should have shown it to you and asked if it was ok immediately.

I only ate at YSH once, I got the porterhouse. nebo said I wouldn't eat the whol thing, but I did! (if it hadn't bee a fancy place, I woould've picked up that bone and gnawed on it!:rotfl2: kidding)

at boatwrigths this last trip I ordered my prime rib medium.. when it cam out it was more medium well to well. no pink at all. it was dry. I would have said something, but the expeditor just dropped it off and was gone in a flash.

I try my best to go back to a table a few minutes after delivering the food, in case soemthing isn't right or they thought of something they didn't think of while I was delivering the food.

looking forward tot he rest of yout report!

ps "Hi Millie!!"

I guess it will be Shula's for steak from now on, maybe? I had a sirloin steak at the Crews Cup Lounge and it was delicious, and a lot less expensive, too.

Ahh yes, Yachtsman Steakhouse. :worried: During my March 2013 family trip it was our favorite meal and became my second favorite signature restaurant. Then after our disappointing December visit there (service-wise) and an even more disappointing meal this time, YSH quickly dropped out of my favorites list. But I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet, so am planning to give it one more chance. Hopefully Yachtsman will redeem itself for me in October and for you and Em too when you return there this summer. :thumbsup2

What a disappointing meal at YSH! :confused3

I really enjoyed my one and only visit there. I would be scared to try again because of so many negative reviews!

Can't wait for more!

popcorn::

Ahh yes, Yachtsman Steakhouse. :worried: During my March 2013 family trip it was our favorite meal and became my second favorite signature restaurant. Then after our disappointing December visit there (service-wise) and an even more disappointing meal this time, YSH quickly dropped out of my favorites list. But I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet, so am planning to give it one more chance. Hopefully Yachtsman will redeem itself for me in October and for you and Em too when you return there this summer. :thumbsup2

Yes.. Maybe it's just Hunter and I that are bad luck for YSH!! I hope you both have better meals!!

Loving your dining TR so far!!! So sorry you had a bad experience at Yachtsmans... wonder what is going on there, it has always gotten wonderful reviews! :confused3

How did I miss your dining report!!?

Wow about that piece of meat!! Medium??? More like well well done! I can't believe they would serve it either. So sorry you didn't enjoy Yachtsman! I didn't care for it too much either in March.

No, not apart of Paula's February girl trip team (I feel as though I am missing something though...:upsidedow )

I was reading Paula's Dining Report (It's Magical! A 10yr Anniv Dining Report with Extras!) and I saw in your siggy you were doing this one :cheer2: To say the least, I can live vicariously through you and Paula and all the wonderful dining reports for the next 373 days until my trip of gluttony. :goodvibes :rotfl2:

Yachtsman was one of our throw-ins as a "possibility" for our last night at the World but my oldest daughter is now leaning towards Narcoossee's. You wouldn't happen to have an opinion on that one, would you? :flower3:

Aha! Got it. I'm not part of that group either. :p It's good to know that you will be crossing the one year mark any day now. That's exciting.

I've only dined at Narcoosees once and it was just ok. I would say that it didn't score in the fabulous category due to my entrée choice. Here's a link to that chapter in my TR where I did a mini review of that dinner. I hear they have a fantastic almond crusted cheesecake. (I'm not sure if they still serve that but I believe it was their signature dessert.)

I just found this latest report. I love reading about your many adventures,especially with your daughter. You inspired me to take my youngest daughter on a trip for her birthday over Memorial Day weekend. It was a wonderful trip that neither of us will forget. I laughed about your No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake . It was one of our must do's this trip but I just couldn't eat anything else. Of course, my daughter could, and she continues to remind me that I had to have a taste of hers. It was only half a spoon!

Hi there disneymom! Thank you for reading my other stuff and coming back for more! That's awesome that you were able to enjoy your own mother/daughter trip. I value these trips more than ever.

Oh yeah....that toffee cake is a must do. I need to form a toffee cake fan club. Sounds like you got at least a taste last trip. I'm always afraid that I can't stop at just one bite. ;)

Oh man, your Yachtsman meal sounds abysmal. Considering the prices of a signature entree in WDW right now, how could they even serve that piece of meat? It's even sadder that the issues weren't exclusive to you.

Yachtsman hasn't been a priority of mine for a while (since I reduced my consumption of red meat), and I don't expect to rush back whenever I'm back in Orlando.

And btw, you're right about the cuts, such as 'Ohana - their latest change is a big problem for me. Besides the shrimp, the chicken was the only protein I was willing to eat (not a fan of chicken wings - too fatty and slimy). While I won't be returning to 'Ohana as a result, it's obvious that someone else will take my spot there and pay the (inflated) prices. Thus, there's no reason for Disney to stop the cuts. :sad2:

It was such a disappointing meal since we've had some great experiences in the past. I know you've been there and seen shifts in what was one time a can't be missed meal.

I'm with you, I don't see myself going out of my way to go to 'Ohana either. For the money I'd rather go to Monsieur Paul.

Wow, Brenda ... that really was a terrible looking piece of meat! I admit I like my steak more on the well done than the rare side and I don't even think I could have eaten that!

With having a subpar meal with Andrew last August and our experience in December and now this experience for you all, I am not even entertaining the idea of Jay and I eating there in the Fall. As I said on Barb's thread it is really too bad because I really think the best plate of food I have had in Disney was at YSH.

On another note, I have added Tusker House, more for the characters than the food. I have always liked the restaurant and thought the food was just Ok. Andrew doesn't like TH at all. So I am going to give it a try with just Jay to see how I feel about it.

Yep, it that piece of meat was not pleasant. It is so disappointing since I've really enjoyed some past meals there. I can't venture a guess as to why this has gone downhill. Service is one issue and that shouldn't occur, but the food. What's up with that?

I enjoyed TH more this time than last so in another year it may move up to one of my top 5 breakfasts!

We felt the same way you did about the TH breakfast, where is Donald?! I don't want a picture of just us against a wall, so we declined :rotfl: Peter was so disappointed the donuts were replaced with donut holes, that was his favorite at breakfast. I had a couple of the donut holes and thought they were quite good though.

Yak and Yeti appetizers are sooo good! No dessert :confused3 I totally understand being too full!!

I am still shocked over YM, you know I love that place, but I always stick the filet. I can't believe they would serve a piece of meat like that.

I know! Where's Donald? I have to say that although I missed the full-size Krispy Kreme, I liked the donut holes. Maybe I just liked the portion control. :confused3

I completely missed those apps at Y&Y too! Between not being hungry and work interfering with my vacation - I'll just have to rectify that next trip.

I'm sorry your dinner at YC was not very good. I can't believe they would even serve you a plate looking like that!

Yeah, it definitely could have been a better meal. At least we had good company for the meal. :)

I have to admit, I am a little shocked that a signature restaurant, such as Yachtsman, would even consider that meal worthy of serving to a customer. I think it looks as though Sian and I made the right decision not to eat there on our March trip.

You definitely avoided any great disappointment by skipping this place Joh. You're right, for being a signature, it's such a shame.

Hi Brenda,

That is one sad looking piece of leather on your plate. I can only hope that our anniversary meal in July looks Nothing like your meals did. If I get served something like that, for that price, what comes out of my mouth will most certainly not be "magical", of that I can be sure!!!

Hi Karla! I remember you really loved your YSH meal 2 years ago. We did as well so this was a disappointment. I hope you enjoy your meal there.

So sorry your meal at YSH was such a flop. Our first trip to Disney in 2002 we went to YSH and it was awesome. WWWWHHHHHEEEEE those onion rolls are so so yummy. The next time was not so good, except those rolls and garlic. I just found the recipe for the onion rolls and pinned it on pinterest.

I have booked Kona for breakfast for September. We have had dinner there but never breakfast. Had to try before they closed.

Those onion rolls may be my appetizer and entrée next time and I wouldn't even be shamed to say I'll pass on an entrée! I try not recreate Disney dining in my own kitchen since I would be sorely disappointed with my own efforts. I can recreate the salted butter though! :rotfl2:

As for Kona... that is my FAVORITE in all of WDW! I hope you like it!

Hi Brenda! I'm looking forward to another one of your dining reports, especially since you went to several of our selections for our August trip. Sorry the Yachtsman was a disappointment. That is on our list. Eeek.

Hi there! Thanks for joining. I hope the rest of the restaurants we selected that are on your list performed better than YSH. For the most part, everything was pretty good.

Our next trip is june 2015, I plan on purchasing a AP for myself and getting the TIW card...:) love to see all your yummy food reviews!!!!:thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm glad you are reading along. :) You have something exciting to look forward to in a year! I hope there's something here that will inspire your taste buds on your trip.

The filet normally comes with spoon bread, but you can substitute the mac and cheese!

Ohhhh got it. I wonder if the review I read had something subbed?? :confused3 I should stick to speaking from experience. ;) thanks for keeping me honest here! (You and Paula!)

WOW Brenda- was horrible piece of meat they served you... have they no pride... I am not going back to YSH.... too much of a negative trend

Hi Beth! It wasn't the best meal by far. It bothers me more that they saw that on the plate and thought ok, that's great to serve. I requested a medium rare piece of meat so when they said the end piece was medium I knew it would be far more done but not grey in the middle.

Yikes on your prime rib ... I have shoes with softer leather than that piece of meat! They should of just said they were sold out on prime rib rather than serve you that eeeww! Even your potatoes looks done and not a good done. Also your husband's beautiful rib eye does look over cooked as well. I'm always so surprised at restaurants that specialize in steaks that can't cook a meat to order.
Upside beautiful company, delicious onion rolls and nice wine : )

I love your positive upside! :thumbsup2 I agree, they should have just left it at we're out of prime rib tonight, may I interest you in an overcooked rib eye? Good point about a Steakhouse with meat being their specialty not delivering stellar steaks.

It's still going to be a little while before I get to my YSH review. Was hoping to do it before I left tomorrow but I have a whole previous day to get through first! So yeah... not going to happen.

This was not a pleasant meal at all unfortunately. I have to admit that Michael's Ribeye at least actually LOOKS like a Ribeye, unlike mine which was a VERY poor cut of meat.

Only two more meals to get to the tale of the TRAGEDY!!

We'll be patient my friend. I'll be interested to read your review and see your photos.

Enjoy your time with Hunter!

T minus 2 reviews before the biggest dessert fail I've experienced. ;)

:rotfl2: OMG! No they didn't? :rotfl2:

So - breakfast was a fail. Bummer. I have never had TH breakfast and I can't stand stale cinnamon rolls. I have to agree that subbing KK for donut holes is just wrong. This is one of the things I don't like about Disney. They have jacked up the food prices but they are making more and more small cuts to things and its starting to show.

Dinner sounds like a total disaster. I have never eaten at Yachtsman. I want to, but its a steakhouse and I vastly prefer seafood over steak. It's got to be the most perfect steak ever and I am so afraid of a fail like that. Thank goodness good company redeemed the meal.

Looking forward to more reviews.

I'd say breakfast wasn't anything exciting. I do love Mickey waffles so that is always redeeming!

If all the other expenses related to Disney didn't escalate at an alarming rate (ticket prices for one) I probably wouldn't be so sensitive to the cost cutting. But you're right, it is starting to show.

Dinner just wasn't good. Period. Oh wait, except those onion rolls. And the wine. If you are a seafood lover there are much better places to dine - like Flying Fish. I believe you've been there??

Waiter: what would you like for dinner tonight?
Brenda: I'd really love some shoe leather swimming in brown juice with a side of whip cream
Waiter: you're in luck that is the house specialty

Seriously can't believe someone would even serve that, let alone a disney restaurant. Shame on the chef. Read barbs report too and hers was pretty bad too (though at least looked appetizing). We will stay far, far away.

Oh no you didn't!!! :rotfl: THAT WAS HILARIOUS! Thanks for the laugh.

I was interested to read Barb's review and see what she thought of her meal. I was hoping the others' had a better experience.

O.k. Felt really bad for you at Yak and Yeti! That is one of our top 5 .. of course, it's because of the wontons. I don't know what I would do if I could not enjoy that meal.

When my DF and I went to YSH, I was coming down with a head cold. I could not taste anything (Unless I blew my nose and tried the food at that moment). I did not enjoy it at all. I keep asking my DH if he could chose between YSH and Le Cellier... He tells me YSH. Of course, I couldn't tell you what I thought... It was sad. :confused3

Ha ha! I need to space out my meals better! I'll be sure to not miss those wontons next time.

Oh man! All that and you couldn't really taste. You'll need a return visit to be sure. I do love Le Cellier's mushroom filet. Although it's been nearly 2 years since I've had it so I don't know if it is still amazing. Today, I'd choose LC. :thumbsup2

hi there! nice to meetya!

wow about that end cut. I work at a steak house. they should have at least turned it over. I know endcuts are served that way, but maybe if they had flipped it it wouldn't have kept cooking (being in contact with the warm plate)

since there was doubt about it from the get go, the server should have shown it to you and asked if it was ok immediately.

I only ate at YSH once, I got the porterhouse. nebo said I wouldn't eat the whol thing, but I did! (if it hadn't bee a fancy place, I woould've picked up that bone and gnawed on it!:rotfl2: kidding)

at boatwrigths this last trip I ordered my prime rib medium.. when it cam out it was more medium well to well. no pink at all. it was dry. I would have said something, but the expeditor just dropped it off and was gone in a flash.

I try my best to go back to a table a few minutes after delivering the food, in case soemthing isn't right or they thought of something they didn't think of while I was delivering the food.

looking forward tot he rest of yout report!

ps "Hi Millie!!"

Hi there Smidgy! Nice to meet you too! Thanks for reading along!

Well, you certainly would know how a good steak should be cooked. :thumbsup2 Good idea, if they'd presented the slice of meat to me and asked if it was ok then I would have had an opportunity to say yay or nay or 'what are you thinking?" Like your Boatwrights review, our expediter (I learned the correct term, I called him the stand in server dude) dumped the food and left. You sound like a pro at your job. People need to be checked on about 3 minutes after they have had a chance to dig in. I know I typically remember something that I just have to have! A refill, more bread, ketchup, someone to cut up my meat... you know, things like that! ;)

Maybe they flipped that baby upside down since that WAS the good side! :rotfl2: Not sure but I don't think it should ever be crunchy.

I'm impressed that you polished off a 28 oz porterhouse. I bet you didn't have dessert. Or was that bone reserved for that honor?

Thanks for joining in again! It's an honor to have you here.

I guess it will be Shula's for steak from now on, maybe? I had a sirloin steak at the Crews Cup Lounge and it was delicious, and a lot less expensive, too.

Definitely Shula's! They've been steak perfection thus far. I actually asked Em about Crew's Cup for our arrival night in July since we've been there once before and I would love to return. I see they have a steak so that's good to know.

It's not a good trend we are seeing! I'm interested to read other reviews from folks who have been there before and return more recently. Or are we the only unfortunate people that dine there?

I'll let you know what I think next month... unless Em relents and we switch it up and go next door.

What a disappointing meal at YSH! :confused3

I really enjoyed my one and only visit there. I would be scared to try again because of so many negative reviews!

Can't wait for more!

popcorn::

Hi there Shari! It definitely could have been a better dinner. I can't imagine that it is a complete fail consistently or Management would have to be changing some things there.

I'm glad you brought your own popcorn Shari! :laughing: It has to be better than my steak.

Yes.. Maybe it's just Hunter and I that are bad luck for YSH!! I hope you both have better meals!!

Yes, we'll blame it on you guys! You guys ARE a common denominator there. Hmmm.... now I'll really need to compare our dinner next month. :lmao:

Loving your dining TR so far!!! So sorry you had a bad experience at Yachtsmans... wonder what is going on there, it has always gotten wonderful reviews! :confused3

Thank you Tinkerbella! I'm glad you are reading along.

YSH has been a favorite of ours for several trips before the last two dinners so I'm wondering the same thing. Unless we are just really unlucky. :confused3 And believe me, our expectations are not set too high. ;)

How did I miss your dining report!!?

Wow about that piece of meat!! Medium??? More like well well done! I can't believe they would serve it either. So sorry you didn't enjoy Yachtsman! I didn't care for it too much either in March.

Hi Rachel! You found me! I'm glad you are here.

They served it AND they charged me for it - full flipping price. But I'm stupid, I paid it! :scared1:

I need to get caught up with your reviews. Hope all is well. :hug:

Kona Café Breakfast - April 30, 2014

DSCN9306.jpg
Breakfast this morning was at Kona Café with Barb. We had shared breakfast at Kona in December and I was determined to not have a repeat of that unfortunate experience where I was robbed of having the delicious pineapple macadamia pancakes. See here in Barb's live dining thread. Today was a new opportunity to make all things right in the world.

Barb had already arrived and was seated. Coincidently, it was the same table for which we’d been seated last time Michael was at Kona for breakfast two years ago.

DSCN9305.jpg

Michael started his morning off with a Kona mocha while I had a dose of caffeine in the form of a Diet Coke.

Kona Mocha $4.79​
DSCN9313.jpg

Barb and I didn’t have to review the menu to know what we wanted to eat – pineapple macadamia nut pancakes please. However, Michael needed a minute to choose the egg white omelet with fresh fruit.

Here’s a peek at the menu that we didn’t have the need to reference:

DSCN9307.jpg

DSCN9310.jpg

DSCN9311.jpg

DSCN9312.jpg

While awaiting our breakfast order to be delivered, we chatted briefly with the gal at the table next to us who is a DISer and knew me from somewhere. I’m confident my face is not on any 10 Most Wanted posters anywhere so I was safe to admit that yes indeed I’m Emmysmommy. I loved her question to Michael asking him if he is as much a Disney fan as me. His response was “I love Brenda more than Disney.” Nice answer! Giving a shout out to you here Michele!

We had our attention drawn back to our table when our food arrived. The next two minutes was a virtual photo shoot of our delicious looking food.

Pancake Perfection otherwise known as Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes with Macadamia Nut butter, Pineapple Sauce and choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage $11.99​
DSCN9317.jpg

And another view since one photo just doesn't convey how awesome these truly are!
DSCN9326.jpg

Scrambled Egg:
DSCN9319.jpg

Everything about these pancakes is awesome! I happen to top them with syrup but others may consume them in all their nekkid gloriousness. There’s just not enough mmmmm mmmmm good’s that I can insert to tell you how delicious these pancakes are. The scrambled eggs that I subbed for breakfast meat were cooked to perfection as well.

Egg White Omelet with Roasted Red Peppers and Goat Cheese $10.99
DSCN9315.jpg

Michael chimed in to sing his praises of his breakfast which was declared a “best of the trip.” He said he could have eaten just that every morning and been happy. One note about the fruit…. I believe fresh melon and grapes are the standard fruit offering; however, since he does not prefer melon they provided the fresh berries option, which were outstanding.

Although I have never succeeded in finishing the pancakes, I think this morning I came the closest to accomplishing that feat. I darn near ate ¾ of them and waddled out of there so happy!

We posed for a photo of our little group before we continued with our day.
Using our TiW card we saved $9.64. (for all 3 of our breakfasts.)

Group Photo
DSCN9338.jpg

I’m very much looking forward to returning to Kona for that next batch of pineapple macadamia nut pancakes!!

Next Up: The Tragedy....Liberty Tree Tavern lunch

I love breakfast at Kona!!! That french press coffee is the best at WDW in my opinion. Last time, I tried to convince DH that we should order two different things and split them. I really wanted Tonga Toast AND also to try the pineapple macadamia pancakes. But DH just wanted tonga toast. So we both got tonga toast. This time I'm going to try to convince him to share both instead...I'm gonna go with this: "come on, we both had tonga toast last time, let's have an old favorite AND try something new that we can't get anywhere else! ;)

If not, I will probably suck it up and just get the macadamia pineapple pancakes since I do what to try them. And "steal" a bite of his tonga toast! ;)

Hey, I wonder if they would sub tonga toast for the regular french toast on the Big Kahuna, for an extra charge. I'd totally be willing to do that so I could have botht hat and the pancakes!

Kona breakfast is our family favourite. I personally go for the Tonga toast but DH loves the pancakes.

Wonderful! I have had the pleasure of dining at Kona for dinner several times. I really need to try breakfast! The macadamia pancakes look outstanding, but the Samoan sounds good from the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter