Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

That's good, I'm glad you didn't. I'm just saying that I've read posts from people here about "only" doing the half or seemingly talking themselves into a challenge before they're really ready for it, and I hate to read stuff like that. And I feel that the rD MCs play up the challenges a lot more as well.
I don't think they do anything to make anyone feel "less than", but I can imagine that some people might feel this way regardless, just because that "greater mileage" potential exists.

I guess that's just not how I see things -- especially not something like running! It's SO individual -- I set my goals and focus on those, and I'm happy for anyone who has and accomplishes different -- even more -- goals. :)

There's always a greater distance, faster pace, etc. Seems like a losing battle to focus too much on that.

I have a DVC point rental request in and a reservation at Yacht Club as a back-up...not sure I can stomach paying for YC though, may switch to French Quarter. :)

Last edited:
I have a DVC point rental request in and a reservation at Yacht Club as a back-up...not sure I can stomach paying for YC though, may switch to French Quarter. :)
I would love to stay at Yacht or Beach, but yeah it's hard justifying the cost so I stick to good ol' values. But it would be so convenient just to walk back after wine & dine :)

I'm already setting a time goal and I'm not even registered yet, is that sad or what :)

Hey, thanks for the info on Port Orleans. I think someone said French Qtr had a better vibe too, plantation like versus country.

Yeah, the original plan was to do the Yacht club, but at about $400 a night more than the value resorts, that wayyyy outweighs convenience. At least for me. But wouldn't mind spending a little more and staying at Port Orleans since we've never stayed there.

I'm on the fence concerning a challenge as well. First, cost, it's already a big expense, then adding in another race and another day of getting up early. Plus, if a race is scheduled on Friday, then that pushes the expo up a day and adds a day to the trip.

BUT...

Another part of me says, 'I'm already there, so why not get another couple of medals!'

THEY JUST SUCK US BACK IN!

I think they only challenge they should consider is if you do both the JJ5K and the Wine & Dine. Two races, one day. That's challenge enough.

I honestly have no idea!! We've never done the W&D, and the rD website does still show a list of "host resorts". I had read somewhere that they were doing away with this for all races, but I could be wrong (or that report I read was wrong).

ETA: this is from the rD website... and this is the ONLY race that I see "event host resorts" listed for... all other packages just say "magic your way": "Just pick your favorite themed Disney Resort hotel then pick the number of days for your Theme Park ticket."

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS

Below are the Event Host Resorts that are available and include transportation to weekend events. To book a Resort at the special runDisney rate, call 407-939-IRUN.

DISNEY VALUE RESORTS
Packages start as low as $110 per person for a two night stay.
DISNEY MODERATE RESORTS
Packages start as low as $152 per person for a two night stay.
DISNEY DELUXE RESORTS
Packages start as low as $299 per person for a two night stay.
DISNEY DELUXE VILLA RESORTS
Packages start as low as $345 per person for a two night stay.
Can you post the link where you're seeing this info for Wine & Dine.....I must not be looking in the right place bc I don't see info about host resorts. :(

Can you post the link where you're seeing this info for Wine & Dine.....I must not be looking in the right place bc I don't see info about host resorts. :(
Sure -- does this work: http://www.rundisney.com/travel/disneyworld/

Mind you, this still says 2015 for W&D (the other 3 races listed here have 2016 dates)... People seem to largely be making the assumption that this will stay the same, I think... Though perhaps it's all been confirmed -- I'm sure someone here will know... :)

Dumb question - would the inclusion of the Boardwalk Villas in the host resort list make the boardwalk itself a host resort by default? I've stayed at both BC and YC before and would love to try BW. having said that, last year for W&D I ended up at GF after I extended my dates and Poly (where I was originally booked) was fully booked, so I just walked to and from the host resort (and I know some people have flamed others for doing that, which I've read, so please don't start on that track again - it's all Disney!).

Yup, SNA on SouthWest - sounds like we may have been on the same flight :) Almost every second passenger had a race shirt on from that morning and was talking about what distance thy were doing that night. People behind me were attending one of the run through weddings!

I loved the enthusiastic flight attendant wishing all the runners luck (I noticed he had a Marvel media lanyard on)

I loved the enthusiastic flight attendant wishing all the runners luck (I noticed he had a Marvel media lanyard on)

The guy in front of me gave it to him - it was a press pass. He was awesome. One of the best managed delays I have ever seen on a flight. As I was getting off a woman sitting near me went up to him and told him he was "annoying" and she was going to complain about his "unprofessionalism". I decided to get in before her and tweeted SW how awesome I thought the crew were - because they handled it all really well. Hopefully that countered any complaint from her.

Sure -- does this work: http://www.rundisney.com/travel/disneyworld/

Mind you, this still says 2015 for W&D (the other 3 races listed here have 2016 dates)... People seem to largely be making the assumption that this will stay the same, I think... Though perhaps it's all been confirmed -- I'm sure someone here will know... :)

That worked. I was looking under the specific "Events" first and wasn't seeing what everyone else was talking about. Clearly, this is my first runDisney! :)
Thank you. :)

Dumb question - would the inclusion of the Boardwalk Villas in the host resort list make the boardwalk itself a host resort by default? I've stayed at both BC and YC before and would love to try BW. having said that, last year for W&D I ended up at GF after I extended my dates and Poly (where I was originally booked) was fully booked, so I just walked to and from the host resort (and I know some people have flamed others for doing that, which I've read, so please don't start on that track again - it's all Disney!).
Yes. Being a "host resort" just means you get race transportation (and sometimes extra info/signage). Personally, I'd have no problem just walking to/from the host resort if I was staying nearby...

Last edited:
First time Disney runner (or any type of runner for that matter!) & just started researching this event, so pls bear with me if my questions are basic:
  • A few ppl have mentioned prebooking hotels due to vacancy issues for the weekend; is that really necessary esp since it sounds like there's a good chance you won't even be able to register?? Ideally we would like to stay in POFQ, otherwise Riverside or Caribbean
  • Does anyone know the course route?
  • What are the regular park hours for the afterparty? & what's the cost for admittance for any non-runners? I know it's subjective but my DW prob won't run and I want to make sure it's worth it to hang out afterwards
  • We would like to arrive on the day of the half then stay for another week or so ... typically how busy is veteran's day weekend in the parks?
TIA for the info!

First time Disney runner (or any type of runner for that matter!) & just started researching this event, so pls bear with me if my questions are basic:
  • A few ppl have mentioned prebooking hotels due to vacancy issues for the weekend; is that really necessary esp since it sounds like there's a good chance you won't even be able to register?? Ideally we would like to stay in POFQ, otherwise Riverside or Caribbean
  • What are the regular park hours for the afterparty? & what's the cost for admittance for any non-runners? I know it's subjective but my DW prob won't run and I want to make sure it's worth it to hang out afterwards
  • We would like to arrive on the day of the half then stay for another week or so ... typically how busy is veteran's day weekend in the parks?
TIA for the info!

Hi!

If you booked one of those resorts now you'd be able to cancel your reservation with a full refund if you weren't able to get in for the race. The course for this year will be different from past and hasn't been announced yet. You can look at the previous year's course for an idea (though some of those areas are closed for construction those the changes.) There's some speculation the Star Wars Dark Side race in May will run a very similar course to Wine and dine (just backwards) so once that's released we might have a better idea. If your husband purchases a ticket for the after party he'd be able to enter Epcot at 7pm. I think in past years the party has been until 2am and the cost per a ticket might have been in the $60ish range. (I'm sure someone else will have more accurate info from experience.) I recommend doing a google search on veteran's day crowds to see some historic crowd calendars. The crowds will be a little higher (but even more so if this overlaps with Jersey week.) This isn't the busiest time of year so you still won't see wall to wall crowds by any means though.

The guy in front of me gave it to him - it was a press pass. He was awesome. One of the best managed delays I have ever seen on a flight. As I was getting off a woman sitting near me went up to him and told him he was "annoying" and she was going to complain about his "unprofessionalism". I decided to get in before her and tweeted SW how awesome I thought the crew were - because they handled it all really well. Hopefully that countered any complaint from her.
OMG a woman told him he was annoying? Ugh no sense of humor or fun. I thought he was the BEST enthusiastic person and made the delay more tolerable. I'm angry thinking about someone giving him grief about it. I meant to send SW a compliment about him but forgot - think it's too late?

I understand the cost situation. I will say however that the location is hard to beat especially with this race being food and wine focused having Epcot right there in walking distance is great.

I understand the cost situation. I will say however that the location is hard to beat especially with this race being food and wine focused having Epcot right there in walking distance is great.
Oh totally. I wouldn't be mad if the point rental fell through. ;)

OMG a woman told him he was annoying? Ugh no sense of humor or fun. I thought he was the BEST enthusiastic person and made the delay more tolerable. I'm angry thinking about someone giving him grief about it. I meant to send SW a compliment about him but forgot - think it's too late?

It's never too late to say something nice about someone :) He handled it really well, he just shrugged at her and told her (quite cheerfully) that she was entitled to her opinion. Then several other people loudly told him he had done a great job whilst she was in ear shot so she stormed off. SW came back to me on Twitter at the time and told me they would "recognise them for the good job they had done on the flight".

That's the way that I see it.

TIA for the info!

•Being a race weekend and the Food and Wine Festival, the values and moderates will most likely be at capacity(no vacancy) for the weekend. Booking something now just ensures you get a room at the resort you'd like and as the previous poster stated, there would be more than enough time to cancel any reservation without penalty of losing your deposit.
•Although the course hasn't been announced yet, I don't believe that they will make any drastic changes to the route. Yes, more of the Studios will be closed/walled off due to Star Wars construction, but I still suspect the same geral course.
•The after party goes until 4am. If you are running, the party starts as soon as you finish and get through security. If you have a after party ticket, you are allowed entry at 7pm (a full hour before we need to be at the starting area at Wide World of Sports). Last year's ticket pricing was on a tiered time table, $75, $85 & $95 as you got closer to the event.
•Arriving on race day can be exhausting. As long as you are ready for a long day and remember that the expo closes at like 3pm on Saturday in order to pick up your bib. Veteran's Day Weekend (a week after the race) is usually pretty busy. It is a long holiday weekend and makes an attractive destination for folks in the south east.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter