Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Hal Higdon novice 1/2 marathon plan app on my I-phone and really like it. It wasn't free though...$9.99 I think. Even though we aren't using that plan right now, I still use the app for all my runs.

So on the running topic, does anyone have an iPhone app they like for training? I couldn't find a free couch to 1/2 app, sobi downloaded the free C25k, and I like it, but I guess there's no way to modify it. It's started me at only 30 min including warm up and cool down, then 30 sec running, 1:30 walking. I'd like to kick it up just a smidge-any tips?

Yikes! Try to stay cool in that crazy heat! :sunny:

Jeff Galloway's 13.1 training program by Lolofit just came out on Friday. I've used the 5K and the 10K and I really like them. I've done a couple of workouts with the half so far and I like it the best of all. You can pick different intervals for your targeted pace and speed up or slow down within that interval. It has GPS and a feature called BeatSync that syncs your music and increases the BPM to go with your pace -- it is very subtle, not like some programs where it makes it sound like you are running with the Chipmunks. ;) The only bad thing is that it is spendy for an app $13.99 but it ties in with the plan I'm using for my Fall race and you can pick and choose your workouts so you could make it work with any training plan that uses intervals.

Ok, quick question for those that use the Galloway method. His Goofy training starts next week and on the weekends with the long runs it lists 3 miles, 4 miles, etc..... Does this 3 miles include the warm-up OR is the 3 miles in addition to?

Thanks

Ok, quick question for those that use the Galloway method. His Goofy training starts next week and on the weekends with the long runs it lists 3 miles, 4 miles, etc..... Does this 3 miles include the warm-up OR is the 3 miles in addition to?

Thanks

Warm up - 3 miles - cool down

I have the Hal Higdon novice 1/2 marathon plan app on my I-phone and really like it. It wasn't free though...$9.99 I think. Even though we aren't using that plan right now, I still use the app for all my runs.

Jeff Galloway's 13.1 training program by Lolofit just came out on Friday. I've used the 5K and the 10K and I really like them. I've done a couple of workouts with the half so far and I like it the best of all.

I just used RunKeeper and entered in the training plans myself. App is free. I began with C25K app, but switched to Runkeeper, since it afforded me an opportunity to customize the workout if I wished. I went from C25K, B210K (Bridge to 10K) and Hal Higdon Novice 1 1/2 Marathon all on RunKeeper last year, since all of those plans have the routine posted online.

I've not been using RunKeeper as much, since I just got a Garmin GPS Watrch. When I want music on my run now, I've been turning to my Nano (I had a 1st gen Nano that was recalled, I got a newest Gen as a replacement :) )

Thanks

I offer a slightly differing viewpoint. For a long training run, there is no real need for a separate warm up. Just take the first 8-10 minutes a little slower than your training pace. You are looking for the point where your body warms to the point where a nice sweat breaks out. Then go ahead and enjoy the run. For the end game, run to the distance and then your warm down starts. Walk a few moments and stretch. Of everything you do on the long run, post run stretching may be one of the most important things to do and if the most skipped.

If you are thinking you want a stretch pre-run, don't. Run a mile down the road and then stretch. This will assure the muscles warm adequately; lowering the chance of injury.

I just used RunKeeper and entered in the training plans myself. App is free. I began with C25K app, but switched to Runkeeper, since it afforded me an opportunity to customize the workout if I wished. I went from C25K, B210K (Bridge to 10K) and Hal Higdon Novice 1 1/2 Marathon all on RunKeeper last year, since all of those plans have the routine posted online.

I've not been using RunKeeper as much, since I just got a Garmin GPS Watrch. When I want music on my run now, I've been turning to my Nano (I had a 1st gen Nano that was recalled, I got a newest Gen as a replacement :) )

I only use run keeper on race day so my specters know where I am and can start to look for me.

Since you are now a Garmie, you may want to consider Training Peaks. I have been a customer for 8-10 years. As a coach, I use it with clients. It does require a fee to unlock all features, but the free version will track miles.

I offer a slightly differing viewpoint. For a long training run, there is no real need for a separate warm up. Just take the first 8-10 minutes a little slower than your training pace. You are looking for the point where your body warms to the point where a nice sweat breaks out. Then go ahead and enjoy the run. For the end game, run to the distance and then your warm down starts. Walk a few moments and stretch. Of everything you do on the long run, post run stretching may be one of the most important things to do and if the most skipped.

If you are thinking you want a stretch pre-run, don't. Run a mile down the road and then stretch. This will assure the muscles warm adequately; lowering the chance of injury.

Thanks to both. I never stretch before being warmed because I know muscles are like rubber bands and are more pliable when warmed.

When do they usually unveil the medal? It's hot, humid and gross where I am so I need some added incentive to go out and run.

When do they usually unveil the medal? It's hot, humid and gross where I am so I need some added incentive to go out and run.

I heard runDisney will be at the Peachtree EXPO. Maybe they will have it there. So all you peachtree runners need to investigate and report back:thumbsup2

OMG, I hear you!! Today's run - disgusting. I was really having a hard time staying motivated especially since the weather was so nice out last week.

I need a pick me up!! Somebody better bring a camera to Peachtree!!

I heard runDisney will be at the Peachtree EXPO. Maybe they will have it there. So all you peachtree runners need to investigate and report back:thumbsup2

OMG, I hear you!! Today's run - disgusting. I was really having a hard time staying motivated especially since the weather was so nice out last week.

I need a pick me up!! Somebody better bring a camera to Peachtree!!
Ooh, I didn't think about that! I am going to the expo tomorrow, I'll let you know! Can't wait to check everything out. I'm also volunteering at the Galloway booth so I'm hoping to get some good training tips. It should be interesting to hear what everyone asks him.

Ooh, I didn't think about that! I am going to the expo tomorrow, I'll let you know! Can't wait to check everything out. I'm also volunteering at the Galloway booth so I'm hoping to get some good training tips. It should be interesting to hear what everyone asks him.

Ooooh! Make sure you bring a camera! I really want to see what the new medals look like. Hope they have the 20th medal!

Question for Coach:

I know this was probably pretty stupid, but I'm in for the Goofy. I've never run in any serious capacity before but have been training for a couple of months.

After about a month I developed runner's knee because my form was garbage. I was landing on my heel each step, essentially with a fully extended leg. Yeah, really dumb.

I made a conscious effort to improve my form and it has worked to some degree. I also decided that since my only goal in this has always been to finish, I'd try to train to walk the full (but run the half) under the assumption that the training would be too tough on my knees.

Since changing philosophies I noticed something odd. My last walk (6 miles) I averaged 13:05 per mile. At the end of it I felt like I could reasonably go at least 4 more miles at the same pace. It felt really good and I wasn't sore at all.

So given this fact pattern, here are my questions:

1) On a scale of 1-10, just how dumb is my run half/walk full strategy?
2) Am I correct that the risk of knee injury is lower walking than running? If so, how much safer is walking?
3) Because my only goal is finishing (including of course not getting swept), and since my pace is well on the happy side of where I want to be so far, am I better off as a novice just training to walk both the half and the full?

I know this is probably ridiculous, but the runner's knee scared me and I'm worried I'll injure myself during a long training run and be unable to go at all. Obviously what I'm proposing will make for a looong day Sunday, but I did "unofficially" walk 26.2 miles once before so I do have some limited idea of just how long that much walking takes.

I know I addressed this to Coach because he's been so kind with his input, but anyone who has thoughts is welcome to respond! I appreciate it.

Ooooh! Make sure you bring a camera! I really want to see what the new medals look like. Hope they have the 20th medal!

Karen, don't forget to come back and let us know if you learn anything good from Jeff.

No new medals today :( and the RunDisney people didn't know when they'd be out. I asked Jeff and he said he hasn't seen them either, but someone had described it to him and he was "quite sure it would be spectacular." He said they really keep those details under wraps until a big announcement. My guess is they'll unveil it in an email or on Facebook. I wish they'd hurry!

Jeff also told me to plan to walk most (or all) of the half then do my normal intervals for the full. He said a lot of people PR the marathon doing that. I'm guessing those people probably don't stop for pictures along the way though, so I'm not counting on that!

That's great advice. Sometimes I give similar advice, but I admit, I don't always follow it myself. :( I really do need to get back to post-run stretching.

Jeff also told me to plan to walk most (or all) of the half then do my normal intervals for the full. He said a lot of people PR the marathon doing that. I'm guessing those people probably don't stop for pictures along the way though, so I'm not counting on that!

I'm surprised Jeff would recommend that about the 1/2 if he doesn't have any extended walks in his training plan. I found running my normal intervals/ pace during the 1/2, but stopping at every character for pictures kept my legs very fresh for Sunday.

I'm surprised Jeff would recommend that about the 1/2 if he doesn't have any extended walks in his training plan. I found running my normal intervals/ pace during the 1/2, but stopping at every character for pictures kept my legs very fresh for Sunday.

His plan for 2013 includes long walks (starting at 5.5 miles, working up to 12) on Saturdays before long runs on Sundays when the long run mileage gets into the teens and above. I had asked about maintaining my training from the marathon I am doing November 10th (since that is when my training program peaks) until January, and he told me to keep up the long runs every 3 weeks after that and add the long walk the day before during that time. Since my training group will be starting a new season and back to low mileage I'll probably do whatever the group does on Saturday (we will probably be around 3 - 6 miles then) then walk the extra miles before a long run/walk on Sunday and see how that goes.

I am sure that come race day I'll want to run/walk at least some of the half, the excitement always gets me going! The other person working the booth yesterday told me she has done Goofy twice and she ran/walked the entire half the second time and she was fine then too. What did you do after the race on Saturday? I'm also trying to make sure I don't overdo it that day. I'm not the type to hang out at the resort, so I need to plan something that gets me out but not on my feet all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter