• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! :crazy2: Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

My only regret is that I'm not doing the full. That medal looks so cool!
Happy running, everyone!

So Sorry to hear that news. Well you definitely must do it for yourself and no one else. What a great b-day present. Would be nice to have you meet with us that are doing the half prior to race time. I'm sure as it gets closer we will find a meeting spot. I am doing the half also. My 2nd one at WDW looking forward to it. Maybe by 2018 I'll try the full for the 25th anniv. medal. :)

Would it help if I said I PR'd a full with a long run of 16?

For most marathoners there is nothing magical about running 16, 20, 21, 26 or33 as a long run. After 2.5 - 3 hours on the run, the body will continue to function for many miles as long as you keep it watered, fed and operating in a condition where stays under the maximum fuel rate. Training for periods equally these times will suffice for most any event.

What happens to most new runners is the self confidence deficit. I do not mean anything negative by this, it's just crossing into the unknown with no history to rely on. I would suggest that if you are following Higdon's plan as written, you will be fine. If you feel like 10k is too far, add 1-3 miles to the last longest run and you will have that added edge of confidence.

As an addition tidbit, Jeff has runners running 26 for a couple reasons. One is to know you can do it. The main physiological reason is that his mid week work is not much more than a set of recovery runs.

If it helps, add the miles and come into the race feeling better about the run. A marathon is really 99% mental and 10% physical.

Thanks Coach, I had this exact question about my training. Over the past few weeks I have completed runs of 13, 15 and 17 miles and have found that after about 12 miles, my body gets into a rhythm and it is just a matter of continuing to fuel and hydrate for the additional miles until complete.

I am on the Galloway Goofy training schedule and have a 20 mile run in a couple of weeks followed by a 23 and a 26. I am 48 years old and have run shorter distances (5ks and such) all my life as a member of the military to stay in shape and pass PT tests. I already know I can finish both races because of experiences in the military in overcoming mental challenges with my body. If the reason to go the longer distances is mostly mental, I am wondering if I just continue to do 15 to 17 miles (about 3 to 3 1/2 hours for me) to reduce the chance of injury? Thoughts?

Thanks Rick

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up if you haven't bought flights...southwest is having a sale and we just got ours non-stop out of Columbus, OH for $328 total round trip (for both of us!) :cool1:

Thanks Coach, I had this exact question about my training. Over the past few weeks I have completed runs of 13, 15 and 17 miles and have found that after about 12 miles, my body gets into a rhythm and it is just a matter of continuing to fuel and hydrate for the additional miles until complete.

I am on the Galloway Goofy training schedule and have a 20 mile run in a couple of weeks followed by a 23 and a 26. I am 48 years old and have run shorter distances (5ks and such) all my life as a member of the military to stay in shape and pass PT tests. I already know I can finish both races because of experiences in the military in overcoming mental challenges with my body. If the reason to go the longer distances is mostly mental, I am wondering if I just continue to do 15 to 17 miles (about 3 to 3 1/2 hours for me) to reduce the chance of injury? Thoughts?

Thanks Rick

Rick, if you told me you were running the midweek runs as hills, intervals or tempo runs, and filling a couple more activities in during the week I would say no issue. Even if you said you were just following the plan and 'running 45 minutes' with no real purpose, I would say you are probably good to go based on your question. It just gets a little tough on Goofy Sunday if one is only running 3 days a week (4 some weeks with Jeff). Add a couple sessions to your week like strength training, cycling or a great walk with the dog, DW or kiddos and that will help.

The 3-3.5 hour long run limit comes from the Ironman world where as an age grouper you would never find time to train all three disciplines going full distance. You have nailed the focus of the long run and should be good to go.

Hope this helps.... Oh, I am honored by your service - THanks!

Rick, if you told me you were running the midweek runs as hills, intervals or tempo runs, and filling a couple more activities in during the week I would say no issue. Even if you said you were just following the plan and 'running 45 minutes' with no real purpose, I would say you are probably good to go based on your question. It just gets a little tough on Goofy Sunday if one is only running 3 days a week (4 some weeks with Jeff). Add a couple sessions to your week like strength training, cycling or a great walk with the dog, DW or kiddos and that will help.

The 3-3.5 hour long run limit comes from the Ironman world where as an age grouper you would never find time to train all three disciplines going full distance. You have nailed the focus of the long run and should be good to go.

Hope this helps.... Oh, I am honored by your service - THanks!

Thanks again. I am actually doing one interval training during midweek. I found during my regular military PT that interval training helps on many levels with my fitness. I am doing the Galloway (three to four days a week) and do the 45 minutes with no real purpose the other day or two. Rick

Nothing to report from me except injuries. My stress fracture is healing,albeit slowly. Was supposed to go back to sport med doc yesterday, but can't since I'm recovering from my latest set of injuries. I crashed my bike last Thursday (touched the wheel of my riding partner). Hit my (helmeted) head on the pavement and banged my ribs. Fortunately, no fractures, but rib contusions hurt like hell!

I also passed out on Saturday, so was treated to an ambulance ride to ER and 24 hours in the hospital under observation. After blood tests, CT scan, ECG, carotid ultrasound, they found-surprise-nothing. I am a fairly healthy person who just happened to faint. Gee, I wonder if the pain in my ribs and the drugs I was on might have just stressed me out a little?

Anyway, I hadn't planned to start running for another couple of weeks, so I'm not missing out on anything. I had been pretty active with my pool running, swimming and cycling, but right now I'm sitting on my duff.

So I will have 8-10 weeks tops to regain some level of fitness to make it through Goofy. And I do plan to do it. Oddly, I am confident that I will be able to do it--certainly not fast in any way, but still.

So to everyone who may be struggling with training, I say "Hang in there!" And Coach if you have any suggestions on how to ramp back up, I'd love to hear. I plan to go back to a local "RunGuru" later in the month to see if we can figure out if there are any underlying causes to my stress fracture we can correct.

Sorry for the long post. And one final comment---Wear your helmet when biking!

Maura

Maura - I'm not quite in the same boat, but I know you can do it!

I cut my running way back in July & August, and spent basically all September trying to regain some of that. Haven't done a double-digit run in months. I'll do a 12 on Friday, however, and ramp up fairly quickly from there. There next couple of weeks are going to be rough, but, if I can get through them, I should be right on track with where I wanted to originally be, Goofy-wise.

Nothing to report from me except injuries. My stress fracture is healing,albeit slowly. Was supposed to go back to sport med doc yesterday, but can't since I'm recovering from my latest set of injuries. I crashed my bike last Thursday (touched the wheel of my riding partner). Hit my (helmeted) head on the pavement and banged my ribs. Fortunately, no fractures, but rib contusions hurt like hell!

I also passed out on Saturday, so was treated to an ambulance ride to ER and 24 hours in the hospital under observation. After blood tests, CT scan, ECG, carotid ultrasound, they found-surprise-nothing. I am a fairly healthy person who just happened to faint. Gee, I wonder if the pain in my ribs and the drugs I was on might have just stressed me out a little?

Anyway, I hadn't planned to start running for another couple of weeks, so I'm not missing out on anything. I had been pretty active with my pool running, swimming and cycling, but right now I'm sitting on my duff.

So I will have 8-10 weeks tops to regain some level of fitness to make it through Goofy. And I do plan to do it. Oddly, I am confident that I will be able to do it--certainly not fast in any way, but still.

So to everyone who may be struggling with training, I say "Hang in there!" And Coach if you have any suggestions on how to ramp back up, I'd love to hear. I plan to go back to a local "RunGuru" later in the month to see if we can figure out if there are any underlying causes to my stress fracture we can correct.

Maura

Sure, we can put our heads together and work out a plan. My initial questions are making sure you replace your lid. I suffered the result of a wheel touch a couple bikes in front of me in 09. Had to get a new lid then forced a second replacement 3 weeks later. Nothing like road rash on top of road rash.

I am betting that you will not have intercostal muscle feeling like huffing and puffing in the next 7-10 days. First lets get de-booted. Then we can map out s schedule. 10 weeks is not a lot of time so the largest question is how close to 20 do you feel like we need to go. You have a great base to build from so it remains very doable.

The SF issue may not be gait related. A simple misstep on a handicap did me in in late 2005. Long story short, got lost in Vancouver, finally saw the hotel and was about to run through an unsupported intersection when I heard car brakes. I stomped a quick stop. A few days later, I was thinking high ankle sprain. It kind of went away until mile 4 of the half of the inaugural Goofy. But in saying all this, a strength/stretching program to help create a flexible yet strongly supported ankle will help tremendously.

jmasgat said:

Maura

Holy moly! I flinched while reading this. Please take care of yourself and feel better.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Maura

Sorry you have been dealing with more injuries. The bike accident sounded scary. Thank goodness for bike helmets. I never ride without one. My sister was saved by her Bell helmet years ago and sent it in for a replacement. It was returned with a certificate of being "Saved by the Bell". Keep up the cross training...and hopefully you will be back in your running shoes soon.

Hello John VN

I am a currently a walker in these few events I have done just this year.
I walked my first half in 3:22. I just did the 10 miler in 2:32. How would one improve or work on their walking stride? I'd like to aim for 13 min mile or better if I can for the Half. Living in NFLA I have a rough and sandy roads to train on. I also walk inside the mall to keep cool at times.

I am a proponent of Danny Dreyer's Chi Walking style since it is easy on my knees in addition to being very efficient. Any heel plant stride will send shock-waves through the leg while slowing forward motion. There are short videos under chi walking and I would suggest you watch some of them to get a feel for this style. I did just that, purchased his book and the rest is history.

Good luck!

A walking pace will be determined by your comfort level with the new type of stride now undertaken by you.

Because of knee issues I have been walking for 2.5 years. I have perfected my stride technique to the point where my Half Marathon PR is 2:11:12.

Since March of this year I have begun to incorporate jogging into my training and racing. My training jogging pace is a comfortable 10:30mpm and when I switch to walking I can still maintain the 10:30mpm pace because it requires a different application of muscles that have been relaxed during the jog.

Working on your walking stride can aid in reducing fatigue while quickening your overall pace for the marathon distance when compared to straight running.

Good luck and really pay attention to your stride while you walk in order to get the full benefit of it's relaxing movements. I have seen many people make far too much energy wasting movements while walking and this simply slows them down.

Thanks for all the replys. For your walk interval are you speed walking? I tried that for the times I have walked and it just feels, well, weird. :confused3 Didn't know if the walk intervals were just a normal walk. John, you can walk a half faster than I can run one! You must be crazy fast!

My half pace is about a 12 to 12:30 mm. For shorter runs I can keep about 11:00 mm. Just wasn't sure how all you who use intervals even it out so you are faster! (faster than me).

Thanks for all the replys. For your walk interval are you speed walking? I tried that for the times I have walked and it just feels, well, weird. :confused3 Didn't know if the walk intervals were just a normal walk. John, you can walk a half faster than I can run one! You must be crazy fast!

My half pace is about a 12 to 12:30 mm. For shorter runs I can keep about 11:00 mm. Just wasn't sure how all you who use intervals even it out so you are faster! (faster than me).

Speed walking is my preferred method of movement with jogging thrown in to mix things up. In ToT my first adrenaline filled mile was 9:21 with #2 at 9:43 and then I settled in to a 10:20/10:35 pace SWing until after the track in WWoS. Then shifted to jogging with some short SWing intervals as I checked out my knees for stability. As soon as I got on to Victory Way I went strictly to jogging until my fall at mile 8.5. Impacted right knee so back to SWing for another knee status update then back to jogging.

I am trying to lengthen my jogging interval but it feels crazy to shift into SWing mode and wind up going faster. I will continue to shuffle between the two without a set time or distance because I go on how my body feels. When the weather cools down I will add a running stride to my repertoire hoping to get pace comfortably into the 8:00 range. My Magic Mile pace speed walking is 8:16 but that is too hard to maintain for much more than a couple of miles.

Yeah! just got my room for the marathon weekend - decided to go with the Fort Wilderness Cabins - has anyone stayed there before and done the marathon - would love to hear some details on how to get from there to the starting line - thanks!

I am a proponent of Danny Dreyer's Chi Walking style since it is easy on my knees in addition to being very efficient. Any heel plant stride will send shock-waves through the leg while slowing forward motion. There are short videos under chi walking and I would suggest you watch some of them to get a feel for this style. I did just that, purchased his book and the rest is history.

Good luck!

Thanks John. I see already just trying his technique it definitely shortens your stride but creates a smoother walk?? Just trying it in the hall at work.
I will look into this further and see if it helps. I have a half coming up Dec. 1st. So I should get in some practice.

Yeah! just got my room for the marathon weekend - decided to go with the Fort Wilderness Cabins - has anyone stayed there before and done the marathon - would love to hear some details on how to get from there to the starting line - thanks!

Hello RF,

I have never stayed there but have been to H-D-H show. Just being on the grounds I noticed things are far apart. Looked like many guests had rented the golf carts and they have a bus line inside the resort. I do think that there is a 3 mile path around the area to walk or jog. Just to give you an idea of the size. I wanted to stay there also but my room mate can't deal with things being out that far. I love the outdoor feeling and the cabins look very roomy. 510 square feet.

They have room discounts out for january. I just got off the phone with them and got 25% off our room for marathon weekend.

Courtney:sulley:

Long time FW guests here. Started late 70's. We stay in our motor home at the Fort and drive to EPCOT parking lot for the 5K, Half and Full Marathons. 2013 will be my 3rd Dopey in a row.

You get the bus for the events at the Outpost. Your cabin stay will be very enjoyable. Not having a good time while at the Fort is impossible.

Thanks John. I see already just trying his technique it definitely shortens your stride but creates a smoother walk?? Just trying it in the hall at work.
I will look into this further and see if it helps. I have a half coming up Dec. 1st. So I should get in some practice.

While at home, take your shoes off and walk around and FEEL your foot plant. Truly helps to ingrain the technique and all the goes with it. Sounds silly and stupid but it worked for me. You will hear how soft the impact is and this will translate to a very soft walk and jog or run when properly applied. No BOUNCING up and down like many people wind up doing and basically wasting energy.

Hope this makes sense.

Hello RF,

I have never stayed there but have been to H-D-H show. Just being on the grounds I noticed things are far apart. Looked like many guests had rented the golf carts and they have a bus line inside the resort. I do think that there is a 3 mile path around the area to walk or jog. Just to give you an idea of the size. I wanted to stay there also but my room mate can't deal with things being out that far. I love the outdoor feeling and the cabins look very roomy. 510 square feet.

While at the Fort I make it a point to always get in a 13+ mile walk. Start out at 4:00AM and always come across deer and other forest creatures. Had one deer run along with me for a short distance then cross the road right in front and off into the woods. So cool.

DO NOT follow this map - it does not lead you to the start and there is no way you will be allowed over the bridge due to fireworks. You will pass the start so all will be fine...

I am one who does not recommend walking along Bonnet Creek. There is a much safer way, but you need to scope it out the day before.

It uses a cast member maintenance road rather than exposing yourself to bleary eyed cast members, miffed at not being able to take the regular road and who are speeding to punch in on time.

Note you must show your bib as your get off Bonnet Creek. Spectators who may have come out are usually asked to move on. We find that moving a couple hundred feet means they can no longer hear then instructions if that was not good enough. At least once, I read runners were turned away - so just be aware of that. Otherwise, it is a short walk from either resort that I have done once and possibly again this year.

Thanks Coach for the suggestion...that map was closer to what I was thinking of doing.

I'm also at POR...maybe a few of us would want to walk to the start together?

I would not mind meeting up to walk over...the more the merrier.

Thanks everyone else for you input into my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter