• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who do intervals, how fast do you do your walk interval? So far I have been running only, but as I'm getting up into the higher milage of maratho training, I think I need to switch to intervals if I'm gonna make it the whole way!

Our walk intervals are slooooow. We treat them as a true recovery, so we go at a very comfortable easy pace. Probably in the 18-20 min/mile pace. Our run intervals are usually in the 10-11 min/mile pace. We do a 2.5/1 minute run/walk ratio. On long runs that gets us averaging around an 11:30 or so pace overall. On our recent 12K we were feeling really good so our runs actually averaged closer to a 9 min/mile pace and our overal pace ended up being a 10:50 min/mile. Speed is not of the greatest importance to me. I just want to finish and do it feeling halfway good. :)

I know this was address 400 pages ago but I cannot find the post. I am Staying at Port Orleans Riverside. It looks to me like it would be about a mile walk to the Start from there. It looks to be about a mile walk from the Finish area. I am trying to decide if I should just walk to the Start.

1. I never use bag check at races.
2. I know there are no sidewalks but I am pretty confident in my ability to not get hit by cars.
3. I could sleep an hour longer.

Am I missing anything else? Anyone else walking to the Start for the Half and Full?

While there are a few people that don't recommend it, it's doable. Here's a map:

AA38ECF3-FCF3-4EBC-BD38-B4652DF73F8E-5666-00000D3F9A236FA2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

DO NOT follow this map - it does not lead you to the start and there is no way you will be allowed over the bridge due to fireworks. You will pass the start so all will be fine...

I am one who does not recommend walking along Bonnet Creek. There is a much safer way, but you need to scope it out the day before.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/101750547/

It uses a cast member maintenance road rather than exposing yourself to bleary eyed cast members, miffed at not being able to take the regular road and who are speeding to punch in on time.

Note you must show your bib as your get off Bonnet Creek. Spectators who may have come out are usually asked to move on. We find that moving a couple hundred feet means they can no longer hear then instructions if that was not good enough. At least once, I read runners were turned away - so just be aware of that. Otherwise, it is a short walk from either resort that I have done once and possibly again this year.

Mickey will be my first full. I am following Hal Higdon Novice 1. I like the extra mileage during the week to tweek my runs over the Galloway. But I'm worried about only 20 miles as training. I really think expecting to be ok for a 10k more is asking a lot of this body.

Should I just add a few miles to my long runs here and there? I don't want to go to full 26. I would be much happier with 23 miles under my belt.

Any advice?

Mickey will be my first full. I am following Hal Higdon Novice 1. I like the extra mileage during the week to tweek my runs over the Galloway. But I'm worried about only 20 miles as training. I really think expecting to be ok for a 10k more is asking a lot of this body.

Should I just add a few miles to my long runs here and there? I don't want to go to full 26. I would be much happier with 23 miles under my belt.

Any advice?

There is no reason for a first timer to do a 23 mile run. You can (and should, if you have time) do more than one run in the range of 18-20 miles, just for endurance and race day confidence. Running longer than that puts you at greater risk for injury, which is no good. However, I’m confused if you’re doing walk/run or just running. I know Jeff likes his walk/run people to go up to 26.

Any advice?

Would it help if I said I PR'd a full with a long run of 16?

For most marathoners there is nothing magical about running 16, 20, 21, 26 or33 as a long run. After 2.5 - 3 hours on the run, the body will continue to function for many miles as long as you keep it watered, fed and operating in a condition where stays under the maximum fuel rate. Training for periods equally these times will suffice for most any event.

What happens to most new runners is the self confidence deficit. I do not mean anything negative by this, it's just crossing into the unknown with no history to rely on. I would suggest that if you are following Higdon's plan as written, you will be fine. If you feel like 10k is too far, add 1-3 miles to the last longest run and you will have that added edge of confidence.

As an addition tidbit, Jeff has runners running 26 for a couple reasons. One is to know you can do it. The main physiological reason is that his mid week work is not much more than a set of recovery runs.

If it helps, add the miles and come into the race feeling better about the run. A marathon is really 99% mental and 10% physical.

cewait said:
DO NOT follow this map - it does not lead you to the start and there is no way you will be allowed over the bridge due to fireworks. You will pass the start so all will be fine...

I am one who does not recommend walking along Bonnet Creek. There is a much safer way, but you need to scope it out the day before.

It uses a cast member maintenance road rather than exposing yourself to bleary eyed cast members, miffed at not being able to take the regular road and who are speeding to punch in on time.

Note you must show your bib as your get off Bonnet Creek. Spectators who may have come out are usually asked to move on. We find that moving a couple hundred feet means they can no longer hear then instructions if that was not good enough. At least once, I read runners were turned away - so just be aware of that. Otherwise, it is a short walk from either resort that I have done once and possibly again this year.

I've never walked it and was only trying to help so sorry, but I'd listen to this guy. I'll be in the corner singing and twiddling my thumbs.

Mah-nah-mah-nah Doo-Doo-Doo-Doo-do

LOL Shaelee, you crack me up girl. Btw, awesome job on your half marathon!!!! (that's where i peeped your name).

rocio said:
LOL Shaelee, you crack me up girl. Btw, awesome job on your half marathon!!!! (that's where i peeped your name).

Darn. Now everyone knows my name. Do I get celebrity status? If so, I want to run with Rudy!!! LOL I'm pretty sure he runs faster but if I see Sean Astin, I am totally chanting Rudy and then asking if he's seen my precious.

LOL. That's what you get when you post a picture with your name. You might want to edit that if you didn't mean for that to happen. I can delete your name too if your prefer. :cool1:

For those of you who do intervals, how fast do you do your walk interval? So far I have been running only, but as I'm getting up into the higher milage of maratho training, I think I need to switch to intervals if I'm gonna make it the whole way!

I switched from full running to 3/1 run/walk as mileage started hitting half marathon distance and beyond. With a decent effort on walk portion, I am keeping a consistent 12 min mile. By comparison my full running at 5k pace is just around 11 minute miles. (11:17 per mile at last 5k I did).

Hope that helps.

Our walk intervals are slooooow. We treat them as a true recovery, so we go at a very comfortable easy pace. Probably in the 18-20 min/mile pace. Our run intervals are usually in the 10-11 min/mile pace. We do a 2.5/1 minute run/walk ratio. On long runs that gets us averaging around an 11:30 or so pace overall. On our recent 12K we were feeling really good so our runs actually averaged closer to a 9 min/mile pace and our overal pace ended up being a 10:50 min/mile. Speed is not of the greatest importance to me. I just want to finish and do it feeling halfway good. :)

A walking pace will be determined by your comfort level with the new type of stride now undertaken by you.

Because of knee issues I have been walking for 2.5 years. I have perfected my stride technique to the point where my Half Marathon PR is 2:11:12.

Since March of this year I have begun to incorporate jogging into my training and racing. My training jogging pace is a comfortable 10:30mpm and when I switch to walking I can still maintain the 10:30mpm pace because it requires a different application of muscles that have been relaxed during the jog.

Working on your walking stride can aid in reducing fatigue while quickening your overall pace for the marathon distance when compared to straight running.

Good luck and really pay attention to your stride while you walk in order to get the full benefit of it's relaxing movements. I have seen many people make far too much energy wasting movements while walking and this simply slows them down.

rocio said:
LOL. That's what you get when you post a picture with your name. You might want to edit that if you didn't mean for that to happen. I can delete your name too if your prefer. :cool1:

I'm ok with it. I knew how to do it, just didn't care. I know there are some people on these forums who are whiz's at stalking people with just a username so if anyone really wanted to find me they could have. Besides, I live with a cop,so I'm not afraid (maniacal laugh).

cewait said:

I'm also at POR...maybe a few of us would want to walk to the start together?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

A walking pace will be determined by your comfort level with the new type of stride now undertaken by you.

Because of knee issues I have been walking for 2.5 years. I have perfected my stride technique to the point where my Half Marathon PR is 2:11:12.

Since March of this year I have begun to incorporate jogging into my training and racing. My training jogging pace is a comfortable 10:30mpm and when I switch to walking I can still maintain the 10:30mpm pace because it requires a different application of muscles that have been relaxed during the jog.

Working on your walking stride can aid in reducing fatigue while quickening your overall pace for the marathon distance when compared to straight running.

Hello John VN

I am a currently a walker in these few events I have done just this year.
I walked my first half in 3:22. I just did the 10 miler in 2:32. How would one improve or work on their walking stride? I'd like to aim for 13 min mile or better if I can for the Half. Living in NFLA I have a rough and sandy roads to train on. I also walk inside the mall to keep cool at times.

For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! :crazy2: Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

My only regret is that I'm not doing the full. That medal looks so cool!
Happy running, everyone!

Hi everyone! Just looking for some advice. Mickey 20 will be my first full and I am extremely excited! I will be traveling down to WDW at the end of this month for a family vacation, and I am scheduled to run 15 miles that weekend (Hal Novice 2). I am staying at the Beach Club Villas, and I know I can run around the boardwalk loop and the path down to DHS, but I think I saw this route is only 1.8 miles total (if i found the correct estimates.) Do you think I should run around in circles until I get to 15? Or maybe I can just do 10 and count a day of park walking afterwards as part of those miles? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

MAKHayes-DisneyDiva said:
For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! :crazy2: Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

Happy running, everyone!

You DO deserve some pixie dust! Congrats on your first half (it's mine, too). I hope your trip is MAGICAL!!

MAKHayes-DisneyDiva said:

Happy running, everyone!

Wow. Screw him. You're going to have an awesome birthday and an awesome run! Good luck.

Darn. Now everyone knows my name. Do I get celebrity status? If so, I want to run with Rudy!!! LOL I'm pretty sure he runs faster but if I see Sean Astin, I am totally chanting Rudy and then asking if he's seen my precious.

QUOTE]

So awesome, still laughing! :rotfl:

Keep in mind you can use the real facilities once inside the parks. So take a look at the course maps, and see what mile marker you'll be near when you're inside MK or whereever. I actually train this way - knowing what mile marker to "hold" it until so that I can use real facilities. :thumbsup2
Yes! I used TTC during the Princess half and AK Asia during the Wine & Dine. Could I have held it the entire race? Probably, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. This year's Wine & Dine I think I'll skip the bathroom, but I will plan to use one or two on the full.

I do mostly walking with just a few short run segments. When I started a few years ago I did run 3/walk 1, and my walk pace was 15-16 minute mile. My knee doesn't enjoy distance running, so I've switched to working on faster walking: 13-14 minute mile race pace. That's with walking 2-4 minutes, running 30 seconds.

Happy running, everyone!
You do need pixie dust! So great you are able to make this trip and do the race!

Coach - I was so glad to see you chime in about long run distances. I am doing Galloway, but don't plan to go above 20-21 miles. I know I don't need the mental part of going further, and want to save my legs from injury as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter