Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Pasta in the park night before marathon? Thoughts? Opinions from previous years?

We are toying with idea since tickets still available.

I have been to 2 of the 3 offered. You will read from many that it is an over priced rather bland pasta meal with little variety. If you have an annual pass or have been to the park on your pass, then I would concur about the pricing. Until 2013, the event was a Thursday event; it was also our first day on property. So we spent the day setting up camp, expo-ing and waiting on friends to arrive. We did not attend the parks. So having admission to Epcot be a part of the experience softens the costs, considerably.

The DJ at the event is excellent. You will see him at various events through the year. He is kind of the life of the party - he would probably be better received if folks were not trying to save energy. We find him entertaining and have seen him at the New Year's Epcot Celebration and a couple business events. He is also the guy with big Mickey gloves on the water bridge at mile 4 and change.

Obviously, with everything Disney, there is a character experience. Several will make the meal for photo ops.

Finally, they meal features a great spot for Illuminations.

Oh, I guess I should comment on the meal. I found the meal nice. It's not a meal that the buffet folks will gravitate towards due to the style and choices on the line. The food is of high quality, but not something I think I would eat the night prior to the run. It is actually a little too seasoned for my palette and knowing that i will be out and running the next morning. Generally, I try to avoid a heavy garlic load the day prior to a long run as my clothing tends to retain that smell for weeks.

I would say it a great meal to attend on Thursday or Friday if running the marathon. I would hate to 'waste' a lot of the park pass cost just to attend a meal then head back to the room 90 minutes prior to Illuminations.

Not sure if I helped, but my .02. Oh, if I did not have to wrangle 4 different arrivals on Thursday afternoon, I would attend this year.

Do you think the holiday decorations will still be up next weekend? Seems unlikely but I know in year's past they've kept them up until after marathon weekend.

I was on the Run Disney Facebook page earlier and it seems nobody can find themselves so I checked and sure enough, nothing for me either. Seems to be a website issue. It's a good thing I had already printed out my waiver.

Can't find mine now, either.

I was on the Run Disney Facebook page earlier and it seems nobody can find themselves so I checked and sure enough, nothing for me either. Seems to be a website issue. It's a good thing I had already printed out my waiver.

I read it was a website issue - something about the computer system is changing birthdates, so that is why people can't find themselves.

Do you think the holiday decorations will still be up next weekend? Seems unlikely but I know in year's past they've kept them up until after marathon weekend.

Traditionally decorations have been up through the end of the first weekend after New Years. So after tomorrow, they will start to disappear form the parks and resorts. You may see some if you arrive Wednesday and possibly on Thursday, but for the most part I would expect them to be gone.

Glad to see the waiver thing is more than just me... Had me concerned for a bit when I went to go print my waiver when I had good ink and there was zilch..

-em

Remembering I am not a doctor, I would take NSAIDs for the next 3-4 days in an effort to lessen the lingering inflammation in the feet. I would ice the sore areas if still showing pain and sit back and watch the playoffs today.

At your option based upon how you feel, a run tomorrow , Monday or Tuesday that in rather short may be in order to relax the mind. In addition or optionally, I would think of running a light and playful run the morning after arriving at WDW. I want to emphasize that if you are feeling gun-shy these are optional and I would not make any of them. I like the Friday morning run just to shake out the stress of traveling with friends and family to MCO and to loosen up the legs and clear the mind.

I would not take NSAIDs the day prior to the race and then not until your renal system is back to normal post race.

Finally, if you do not make another run until race day, you will still be OK on the run. Just start off a little slow in the first mile and play the rest of the day by ear.

Have fun. You will make the finish in fine fashion

Thanks coach! I have been taking some ibuprofen, just haven't really noticed it helping.

I was thinking of doing what you said before I posted, a short run tomorrow for sure (I'm going back to the doctor on Monday for a follow up) and then I'm in the meetup on Friday, so I figured that could be my warm up for the race. Thanks for your help! :) Definitely gun shy!

I think the latter, and I would only go out for a short shake-out run to see how your're feeling. I tend to err on the side of "give your legs a rest".

Hope your tendonitis heals quickly.

Maura

Thanks Maura. I have three different kinds of bands, inserts and tape for Sunday! :)

rocio said:
What do you use when you run in the summer? You don't have any shorts or capris you can wear?

I've worn my PerformX tights in 70-80 degree weather, but it definitely wasn't a 26 mile run. I think I should be fine in the Revolution tights, I just need my butt covered.

Speaking of computer issues, has anyone been able to check in online? I have been trying for the past few days but keep getting an error message. Maybe it is because I am booked at BCV but am not DCV? I booked through Disney over the phone if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Okay - perfect example of why you should pay attention to all previous comments because even if they don't apply to you when you read them, they might later......

Will monorail transportation be suspended from 5-7 like the busses will and will spectators still be allowed in Magic Kingdom before the park opens as in previous years?

My mom is now coming with us and will be able to watch my daughter so my wife is thinking of coming with us to the family reunion area in the morning, then taking the monorail to TTC, then to Magic Kingdom to watch me run through there. Then, she was planning on walking to Contemporary and catching a cab back to the Boardwalk. Will that work?

Bephus said:
Speaking of computer issues, has anyone been able to check in online? I have been trying for the past few days but keep getting an error message. Maybe it is because I am booked at BCV but am not DCV? I booked through Disney over the phone if that makes any difference.

Not sure...I'm AKV and can't either....I rented points.

We weren't able to check in online today either.

I made some dining reservations today and the web page kept switching between the old page and the new my disney experience page (I think that's what it's called.) So I wonder if that has anything to do with why the online check in isn't working--more computer issues.

cewait said:
I have been to 2 of the 3 offered. You will read from many that it is an over priced rather bland pasta meal with little variety. If you have an annual pass or have been to the park on your pass, then I would concur about the pricing. Until 2013, the event was a Thursday event; it was also our first day on property. So we spent the day setting up camp, expo-ing and waiting on friends to arrive. We did not attend the parks. So having admission to Epcot be a part of the experience softens the costs, considerably.

The DJ at the event is excellent. You will see him at various events through the year. He is kind of the life of the party - he would probably be better received if folks were not trying to save energy. We find him entertaining and have seen him at the New Year's Epcot Celebration and a couple business events. He is also the guy with big Mickey gloves on the water bridge at mile 4 and change.

Obviously, with everything Disney, there is a character experience. Several will make the meal for photo ops.

Finally, they meal features a great spot for Illuminations.

Oh, I guess I should comment on the meal. I found the meal nice. It's not a meal that the buffet folks will gravitate towards due to the style and choices on the line. The food is of high quality, but not something I think I would eat the night prior to the run. It is actually a little too seasoned for my palette and knowing that i will be out and running the next morning. Generally, I try to avoid a heavy garlic load the day prior to a long run as my clothing tends to retain that smell for weeks.

I would say it a great meal to attend on Thursday or Friday if running the marathon. I would hate to 'waste' a lot of the park pass cost just to attend a meal then head back to the room 90 minutes prior to Illuminations.

Not sure if I helped, but my .02. Oh, if I did not have to wrangle 4 different arrivals on Thursday afternoon, I would attend this year.

That helps a ton. We are season passholders, but wife was semi interested due to seating for Illinations. I thought was a bit over prized for food I am not gonna eat a ton of.

Thanks for input!

I think Disney has a general mess with ALL computers. I was trying to look up ADRs this morning and get booted out for anything made in the old system.

I do know the early check in link has also been wonky. You can use it, but for some reason every other day there are issues. The most obnoxious I have seen was credit card denials.

Finally, the waiver system is out today .

Hope they fix this by Thursday!

After being worried whether I'd be over my bronchitis in time for the HM next saturday, I went out and ran one today!

I actually took it easy and skipped my mid-week 7 miler and shuffled around other runs this week because of a crazy week at work - getting back after the holidays and getting ready to go away for 10 days of vacation.

So today, I had 10 miles scheduled, but I also had a Sandy Hook memorial virtual HM that I had signed up for. I had planned to run this last Saturday, but the bronchitis kept me from doing that.

So I did the 13.1 this morning. Not a bad time overall considering I wasn't "racing" it. I actually was pretty fast when I was running. I stopped a couple of times for water/fuel as I went past my car - so that added about 7 - 8 minutes to my total time. I also didn't fuel well... I had some old packs of sport beans I was trying to use up... but they were so dried out and stale that they turned out to be nearly inedible, so I only got about 150 calories of fuel during the run. Not good.

I bonked at about 10.5 miles - just out of gas. I run/walked at a fairly good clip for the next mile+, but almost all of the last 1.5 miles was walking. I had cramping and no juice left in my legs.

Overall, my time still was as fast as my first HM back in September - 2:40... only 12 minutes slower than my November half. If I had fueled properly, I believe I would have beaten my November time and I wasn't feeling like I was pushing the pace.

While walking that last mile, I definitely was wondering if I had just stupidly messed up my race next Saturday, but after getting some fuel in me and a good rest this afternoon, everything feels good.

We leave to WDW first thing monday morning... should arrive on-site about noon and then we'll have the whole week to enjoy the World.

Just a couple of short "leg stretchers" some time between tuesday and friday, and then the big event.

The WDW half was the first one I signed up for after I ran my first 5K last spring... now, it will be my 4th HM distance run... hard to believe.

OKW, here we come!

Now if it would just be a bit cooler for the race, I'll be VERY happy... though for the rest of the week, I'm liking the forecast... should be warm enough to go to Typhoon Lagoon one day!

Ted

PRmamiDEdos said:
I thought the waiver system has been out? What'd I miss?

He means out as in not working. People are unable to look themselves up and print waivers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter