Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Let me modify just a little.

Unless this has changed in the last couple years, if you are staying on a revenue reservation (i.e. paying cash to Disney) you get a room refresh every day just like a regular resort. Staying on points (own or renting from a DVC member)you are have a restricted maid service. On points you get new towels and toiletries on the 4th day and a complete cleaning on the 7th.

Sorry Coach, you are correct. I didn't even think about paying with cash. I forgot you could do that.

Do most of you check a bag or not?

I am debating. I will be carrying pretty much everything I need in my fuel belt (sport beans, phone, room key, money).

I could pack sandals and perhaps a change of clothes, at least shirt, but if bag check/check-out adds a lot of time before or after the race, I might skip it in favor of sleeping longer and getting back to the hotel sooner.

Reading all the last min posts has me so excited for everyone. I really want to train for a full next year but I haven't figured out how to work in a WDW trip in the middle of hunting season.

Is it too ambitious to run a full when I won't have been running more than a year and a half?

Sorry Coach, you are correct. I didn't even think about paying with cash. I forgot you could do that.

You answering first was the only reason I remembered. If I had answered first, I would have been close to your answer since I have never stayed in a DVC under a revenue reservation.

Reading all the last min posts has me so excited for everyone. I really want to train for a full next year but I haven't figured out how to work in a WDW trip in the middle of hunting season.

Is it too ambitious to run a full when I won't have been running more than a year and a half?

IMO totally doable!!! I started running at 40 (5 years ago) and at 18 months I ran my first full!

I am debating. I will be carrying pretty much everything I need in my fuel belt (sport beans, phone, room key, money).

I could pack sandals and perhaps a change of clothes, at least shirt, but if bag check/check-out adds a lot of time before or after the race, I might skip it in favor of sleeping longer and getting back to the hotel sooner.

My first Disney but after stalking many videos on youtube the bag check seems to look like it moves along pretty smoothly so while I typically don't check for runs I plan to for both this weekend.

Sabeking said:
IMO totally doable!!! I started running at 40 (5 years ago) and at 18 months I ran my first full!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm 57 and have been running 4 months. I finished my 1st 1/2 last weekend with no problems (except I almost cried, I was so happy). I'm running PHM next month but want to start training for the full next year. :)

Last day of work/school before loading in the car for the 9 hour trek tomorrow. Of course my 9 year old woke up with a sore throat and a fever. DH took him to the doc. Its strep. Hopefully thats all it is and we can still be on our way tomorrow.

OMG I'm nervous. My last few runs haven't been great, but I keep telling myself that Disney will pull me forward. I'm so tired of running alone in the middle of nowhere dodging dually's that don't share the road.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm 57 and have been running 4 months. I finished my 1st 1/2 last weekend with no problems (except I almost cried, I was so happy). I'm running PHM next month but want to start training for the full next year. :)

I agree that it is totally do-able. I ran my first half last year at the PHM. Even then, I didn't think I ever wanted to do a full marathon. I started to think about doing it in May (I ran a second 1/2 in April) and by August I committed to doing my first full, this Sunday. Happy running!

Thanks for the recommendation on the Disney Experience app - while it is a bit buggy, my reservations all showed up! I had already manually entered them online over the weekend when I discovered the new site, and once I signed in on the app, it showed me "my plans" :) Excellent!

So can I ask - what do people wear while waiting? Since it's warmer this year, do people still plan to wrap up and then ditch clothes before the start?
Also, I didn't see that any of the final information said what time we have to absolutely be there... I'm in corral E, so my start time is after 6am, but do I still have to be there at the crazy early hour of 4 or 4:30?

Hope you all have a great time this weekend in your races! I'm doing the PHM next month, but I've been following your thread as well.

Good luck with the warm weather. I can't wait to read the race reviews next week.

Safe travels, everyone, and happy running!

Holly

Also, I didn't see that any of the final information said what time we have to absolutely be there... I'm in corral E, so my start time is after 6am, but do I still have to be there at the crazy early hour of 4 or 4:30?

I was just re-reading the Final Race Instructions this morning. Here is what it says:

"Participants must board buses and monorails no later than 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time. You must be in your corral at the start line by 5 a.m. or you will not be allowed to start."

steph0808 said:

I always check a bag. At a minimum, it will have a change of clothes and comfy shoes. For this weekend, I'll put in those plus my room key, cell phone, and cash or credit card.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Disney Experience app - while it is a bit buggy, my reservations all showed up! I had already manually entered them online over the weekend when I discovered the new site, and once I signed in on the app, it showed me "my plans" :) Excellent!

So can I ask - what do people wear while waiting? Since it's warmer this year, do people still plan to wrap up and then ditch clothes before the start?

Buses run 3-4 for runners headed to the race. So if one catches the 4 AM bus that would put them in the staging area around 4:30. That is about when they start herding folks to the corrals. In the race instructions they ask all runners to be in corrals by 5. They used to speak of sending folks to the back of the race is not in the corral by the time asked. That never happened and the threat is no longer there. Though with the wave system, you corral will be moving forward every 7 minutes or so. I would think that one would want to be in their corral by race start at 5:35 so they are not losing their place in the race. It would be hard to figure out where one’s corral was once they start moving them forward. The good news is that the E has historically been the last wave on the right side of the roadway, so one could figure out the spot (that is subject to revision). So the bottom line is look at the instructions and try to follow their timelines to avoid unnecessary stress.

With regard to clothing. I am bringing a long-sleeved running shirt that I will check at I leave the staging area. It may feel cool before the mass herding to the corrals. Once down there, we are packed well enough that it will feel warmer… at least blocking any small breeze that would feel cool.

jyssilly said:

I doubt I'll have any extra clothes on. Maybe an old long-sleeve shirt to keep the dampness off me since the humidity is so high and the dew point is pretty low. As far as what time to be there, the official program (available on the runDisney site) says 5am. I don't know of anyone who has been turned away for arriving after that, which is good since we usually meet at bag check at 5. That said, Disney could choose to enforce that any time they want.

I was just re-reading the Final Race Instructions this morning. Here is what it says:

"Participants must board buses and monorails no later than 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time. You must be in your corral at the start line by 5 a.m. or you will not be allowed to start."

OMG. I never noticed the second page of the race instructions! EEEK.
Thanks for pointing that out!! 3am... hm. I guess I'm normally up at that time anyway to feed the baby, maybe that's a good thing!

Buses run 3-4 for runners headed to the race. So if one catches the 4 AM bus that would put them in the staging area around 4:30. That is about when they start herding folks to the corrals. In the race instructions they ask all runners to be in corrals by 5. They used to speak of sending folks to the back of the race is not in the corral by the time asked. That never happened and the threat is no longer there. Though with the wave system, you corral will be moving forward every 7 minutes or so. I would think that one would want to be in their corral by race start at 5:35 so they are not losing their place in the race. It would be hard to figure out where one’s corral was once they start moving them forward. The good news is that the E has historically been the last wave on the right side of the roadway, so one could figure out the spot (that is subject to revision). So the bottom line is look at the instructions and try to follow their timelines to avoid unnecessary stress.

With regard to clothing. I am bringing a long-sleeved running shirt that I will check at I leave the staging area. It may feel cool before the mass herding to the corrals. Once down there, we are packed well enough that it will feel warmer… at least blocking any small breeze that would feel cool.

I doubt I'll have any extra clothes on. Maybe an old long-sleeve shirt to keep the dampness off me since the humidity is so high and the dew point is pretty low. As far as what time to be there, the official program (available on the runDisney site) says 5am. I don't know of anyone who has been turned away for arriving after that, which is good since we usually meet at bag check at 5. That said, Disney could choose to enforce that any time they want.

Thanks guys!! That is really helpful! I was wondering how cold it might be waiting and whether I should bring something long sleeved to wear over my running gear. I was going to bring an old airline blanket to sit on or wrap my legs up if I get chilly.
My husband laughs because I literally have the smallest temperature range where I'm comfortable and not cold so he thought I should bring a sweater :)

:offtopic complaint
Holy cow...the makeup work the DDs have to do to take a few days off is insane! We will be the family doing a math lesson while waiting in line for Test Track!

Ok thanks for listening to my whining...back to running!

My DD, who is normally high-strung when it comes to schoolwork, is going crazy. I told her all her make-up work has to be done before we leave tomorrow night because I KNOW they won't do it when we're there. My son flies through (not the best work, but whatever), but she's a perfectionist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter